Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How come Pro-Life people are invariably for capital punishment?

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2021 9:11 PM

How come Anti-Abortion people are invariably pro-death penalty?

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 5:13 PM

I was raised Catholic, and I knew tons of people who were against both.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 5:13 PM

Yeah, Catholics tend to be against both. Evangelical protestants tend to be the ones that are pro birth, but eager to execute adults. They need to keep babies being born into lives of poor circumstances to feed the state death machine, and sate their bloodlust. That's why they hate gays. Gays can't procreate without the involvement of someone of the opposite sex, so they are less readily able to provide meat for sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 5:17 PM

It's God's wish.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 5:21 PM

Because being anti-abortion isn't about being pro-life, because a clump of cells isn't "life." It's about forcing women to give birth - i.e. punishing them for having non-procreative sex.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 5:40 PM

How come pro-choice people are against capital punishment? How come vegans are pro-choice?

This could go on.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 5:43 PM

The argument goes like this: the baby is innocent but the murderer is not.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 6:04 PM

R5 answered correctly. It's about control and punishing women.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 6:17 PM

They are pro forced birth. None of them give a shit about the kid once it's born.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 6:31 PM

Catholics are judgmental. They can't judge a newborn who hasn't fucked up yet. They CAN judge a criminal or a deadbeat on welfare. And people who have sex out of wedlock, and people who get divorced, and those who use the Lord's name in vain, etc etc etc

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 7:03 PM

R7, a fetus isn't a baby. Try again

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2021 7:04 PM

Because they modify their beliefs to fit what the GOP tells them

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2021 7:06 PM

How come pro-life people are invariably pro-gun and anti birth-control and health services for women? Defund Planned Parenthood has been a rallying cry for hypocrites for a long time.

Anyway, banning abortions does not stop them. Rich women will always have access, it's the poor who are punished by such laws.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2021 7:13 PM

R13, the KEYWORD is WOMEN.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2021 7:21 PM

Here's an idea - the baby must be carried to full term and be born. Upon birth it's OK to execute the baby. It's a solution every evangelical can get behind.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 8:28 PM

And unnecessary wars?

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 9:59 PM

R7 No Catholics do judge a newborn baby. They're big on "original sin."

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 1:45 PM

Because they're fucking morons and fucking hypocrites.

It's not rocket science OP.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 1:48 PM

One thing I never understood-if a fetus isn't a person, why do pregnant women get special treatment?

In my state, a pregnant woman who doesn't have health coverage can get Medicaid just for being pregnant. I've seen where they get special parking spaces and other stuff too.

Before anyone asks, I don't think a fetus is a person, which is why I resent this.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 1:48 PM

You need to get a job and keep yourself occupied, R19, instead of obsessing over that. You sound like those ignorant Republicans who get bent out of shape thinking of government "hand outs" they think working class people are getting.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2021 1:53 PM

It makes a lot of anti-abortionists mad when you ask them. They see anything pro-life for those already born as a conflation. They truth is, it’s convenient to be anti abortion because it’s something they can champion unconditionally because it’s not a problem they usually have to deal with themselves. Same with being anti-gay—it’s easy to condemn another for a sin you don’t have to deal with yourself. Now, it you tell them they should stay married and not divorce because it’s a sacrament, suddenly they are less hardcore. Interesting how that works.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2021 1:58 PM

I was a biology major in college. During a lecture on animal procreation, I realized that life begins at conception for all animals. While we are not completed humans, we are alive from conception. I don't believe in killing anybody (a fetus, baby, child or adult) for any reason.

Also being an atheist makes it impossible to work with the wacko pro-life religious nut cases. Since abortion is legal, I bite my lip which is difficult. When I volunteered at Planned Parenthood, I talked with the pro-life nuts. They have no idea what they are doing. All they can do is quote scripture.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2021 2:34 PM

It's about a belief in consequences for one's actions.

I am very much for punitive measures - including the death penalty for violent offenses. Hell, I'm for bringing back the public stocks to show there is consequence for crime. We've allowed crime to go unfettered in our big cities.

For pro-lifers, they believe murder should often bring the death penalty. Abortionists, to them, are seen as murderers. This position is not in conflict nor hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2021 2:38 PM

R20 I have a job. I just don't like it when people try to have things both ways (I don't like the pro-life, but pro capital punishment people for this reason as well).

As someone who considers a fetus a clump of cells, I refuse to treat pregnant women with reverence.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2021 2:42 PM

R22 You didn't "realize" anything. You decided to believe something. Life doesn't "start" at conception, it preexists conception. Biology is the study of life. At least you corrected yourself and used the word belief when stating your reactionary view that fetuses shouldn't be killed.

And btw, what you think about fetuses is irrelevant. If you have one inside you don't kill it. No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2021 2:59 PM

Pro-lifers quickly change their minds when it gets personal. They find ways to justify their own decision.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2021 3:12 PM

Because babies are innocent, without sin and closest to God so killing them is just the worst.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote]Yeah, Catholics tend to be against both.

R3, they are, however, supporters of the Just War Doctrine.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 3:41 PM

^and when you point out that bombs kill fetuses too they look stupified

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2021 3:44 PM

That’s a pretty bold assumption….I’m sure there are Pro-life advocates who are against capital punishment also……they just don’t get covered in the media sphere like the extremists do.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote]I don't believe in killing anybody (a fetus, baby, child or adult) for any reason.

I'm sure this will influence your decision when you have to weight whether or not to have an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2021 6:21 PM

They focus on the unborn because it’s an easier sound bite and they are not deep thinkers. They have no interest in protecting human and all the complexity that would entail.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2021 6:39 PM

[Quote] I'm sure this will influence your decision when you have to weigh whether or not to have an abortion.

Actually R33, it already has. When I was married, my wife said she may want to abort our child. It was then that I realized that I didn't like abortions and convinced her it was a bad idea. The kid is now an adult that is 45 years old and in control of his own life.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2021 7:15 PM

Think of how stupid this sounds: THE RIGHTS OF THE UNBORN

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2021 7:31 PM

Hello OP, people are hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2021 7:33 PM

It is really funny that a lot of pro-life people are against abortion even if the fetus threatens the life of the mother, so they are against a mother killing her fetus but for the fetus being able to kill the mother. How is that pro-life.?

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2021 7:35 PM

Dingy, R33 (who sends posts to himself), YOU were never pregnant, therefore YOU cannot have or stop an abortion. Your wife made the decision for herself after talking to you. Wonderful. If she didn't agree, it would be too bad.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2021 7:37 PM

"Pro-Life" is a misnomer, It should be "Pro-Fetus"

they fetishize the fetus, but don't give a damn about the kids after they're popped and are blood thirsty for the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2021 7:43 PM

"Evangelicals have a love affair with the fetus!"

Remember Joycelyn Elders, Clinton's Surgeon General?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2021 7:46 PM

Please—they prefer the spelling “foetus.”

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2021 10:09 PM

Pro-life language has invaded many pharmaceutical drug commercials, with instructions such as, "If you are pregnant, do not take [named drug], as it may harm your unborn baby."

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2021 12:04 AM

The death penalty and abortion was why Governor Mario Cuomo in New York wasn't re-elected. He didn't believe in the death penalty, but saw nothing wrong with abortion. The public saw through his hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2021 12:12 AM

Because they are Anti-Life just Pro-Birth.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2021 12:14 AM

Somebody blocked me from this thread. Probably the "saver" elder of R33. He "stopped" his wife from having an abortion of what now is a 45 year old fetus. You're an old man/woman, R33, old as in another fucking WORLD.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote] As someone who considers a fetus a clump of cells, I refuse to treat pregnant women with reverence.

A developing fetus isn't just "a clump of cells".

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2021 9:10 AM

Because a poor innocent baby isn’t the same as an adult criminal.

How is that hard to understand?

I’m pro-choice and anti-death penalty but obviously that’s what those people would say. They think abortion is murdering a poor innocent baby. Of course they feel different about punishing adults. Eye for an eye blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2021 9:50 AM

[Quote] Somebody blocked me from this thread

How does that work R44. How does an elder from another world block you from posting on a thread?

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2021 10:07 AM

Same reason why their beloved cats and dogs live better lives than many humans. It’s the belief that they are innocent and have no control of their being.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2021 10:50 AM

It’s thought that many of the old pre-Christian pagan animistic religions would mourn a birth and celebrate a death. I’m beginning to understand why.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2021 11:06 AM

Because the politicization of abortion has turned the anti-abortion trolls into actually hating life itself.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2021 11:08 AM

Bullshit, R42. Mario Cuomo was not re-elected because the economy went south in the early 1990s. Other politicians like GH Bush and Ann Richards of TX didn't win re-election for the same reason. For a politician in NY State being pro-choice isn't an option, it's a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2021 2:23 PM

Because they don't really understand "what would Jesus do?" They don't get it. Abortion is very, very complicated. People who don't see that have an easy time making a decision or having a belief one way or the other. Yes, it should be safe and legal, but it should be taken seriously. But it isn't something men can really understand, either. And abortion becomes an issue to people who never thought it would be an issue when they find out the baby (or fetus, whichever way you want to think about it) is imperfect. A lot of people abort for this reason, but it's done in the OB/GYN office. It's probably called a D & C and not an abortion. OB/GYNs do tons of testing and will quietly encourage abortions of imperfect babies. They don't want to be sued.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2021 5:43 PM

R52, FYI, a D&C is performed under general anesthesia at a hospital, not in a MD's office.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote]Because they don't really understand "what would Jesus do?" They don't get it... But it isn't something men can really understand

R52, I'm infamous here for questioning whether Jesus existed; there's no real evidence that he did. But assuming for the sake of argument that he did, by your own reasoning it makes no sense to ask 'what would Jesus do?' Jesus would have been a man, and as such, would have been incapable of pregnancy. It would never have come down to a personal choice he could make regarding his own body, and with regards to womens' choices, he could and should butt the fuck out.

'What would Jesus do?' is one of the lamest queries rhetoric ever came up with. It's never helpful, and the people to whom the answer might potentially matter the most also happen to be the least equipped to sanely and reasonably answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2021 6:50 AM

I am consistent: I'm pro-abortion (this is more radical than pro-choice) and pro-death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2021 3:12 PM

^^ Pro-arsehole.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2021 4:03 PM

Being a Gay man…abortion is something that I don’t really think about too much..it doesn’t affect me. Nevertheless, if Lesbians are pro-choice….I stand with them and their fight for feminist rights. Because if anyone knows how women think and feel about abortion ….they certainly would..

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2021 4:19 PM

If we are getting into religion, I don't think the early church took a stancee.

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]If we are getting into religion, I don't think the early church took a stancee.

Which aspect, R58? Abortion, or the death penalty?

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2021 3:49 AM

Abortion R59. The Catholics thought life did not start until first breath.

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2021 9:02 PM

The Christian teaching is that Babies are born with original sin. Baptism washes it away.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2021 9:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!