Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“For those who have lost their father ….”

This posturing makes me completely mental on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. “I’m thinking of you, people whose mother burned you with a cigarette and then rented you out to the neighborhood lech for a bottle of Colt 45.”

Stop showing off for five milliseconds, insufferable poseurs. “Unlike everyone else, I ULTRA care.” Fuck you.

Both parents are dead and neither treated me well when alive. Am I so uber-fragile that I’m triggered by *other people* having a nice day with a parent they care about? NOPE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 8:36 PM

OP, I"m so you'r ein so much pain,

I lost my dad at 5; my mother at 57.

It sucked for her to be without him for so long; I loathe all the happy father's day posts, knowing I can never have it.

I'd PAY for it. if fucking Bruce Boxlietner (Sp?) or NIck Nolte would rent themselves out for a dad for the day, I'd pay them whatever they wanted so I could lie to myself that I hadn't gotten such a raw hand in life.

I wish you peace.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 3:11 AM

"I'm sorry you're in so much pain."

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]For those who have lost their father

I always find this to be such an insipid comment. I didn't lose my father, he died six years ago. Why do we have to tap dance around everything?

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 3:19 AM

were you an adult when your dad died, Jeez?

maybe it's 'more' of a loss when you lose a parent when you're really young

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 3:22 AM

Bad Fathers..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 3:27 AM

R3 Because its fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 3:28 AM

Apparently you're so triggered that you linked to something someone else wrote just to pretend to be outraged by it

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 3:31 AM

I’m with you OP. I had bad parents who are dead and I am perfectly fine with other people celebrating mother/father day.

I’m gathering myself!

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 3:32 AM

...fathering myself...

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 3:32 AM

OP - bitch, you are mega triggered. Love my dad - got him a card and a bottle of Dewars White Label, his favourite.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 3:34 AM

R10, glad you have yours; I found some old family films that'd been transferred to video tape; dads always manned the camera so there's scarce footage of him on screen but I found a shot of him holding me when I'm like 3 or 4

I treasure those frames

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 7:23 PM

Honestly I hate all of those tear jerker social media posts about dead parents, be it Mother's or Father's Day or Happy Birthday in heaven or whatever. It kind of pisses on people enjoying their day with loved ones, and its a bit of a stab in the gut to those of us who've lost our own parents. You're just going about your day scrolling, the next you're tearing up because of some twat having to get attention because you're reminded of your own loss.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 7:34 PM

Social media is an endless rotation of people reminding you that it's their birthday (with suggested charities.) The 3rd anniversary of adopting rescue dog Kodaka II with a reminder that the original and much beloved Kodaka passed over the rainbow bridge 4 years ago now. The 17th anniversary of a parent's death and can it really have been 23 years ago that a maternal grandfather left this mortal coil? The uncle who always had a smile on his face who died when the poster was 11. Father's day a celebration of a dead biological parent never known and an adoptive parent who is dead too. There's the cryptic message about the high school friend "gone XX years on this day" but not so cryptic that the reader can't surmise suicide.

Add to that a load or nonsense about celebrity deaths that hit hard and that instant where you wonder if there's an appropriate emoticon and then just scroll by as if you didn't see it. Others, though, soak this stuff up like a sponge and always have a few trite words — and a big hug!

Am I cold and cruel for not having a long list of dead people to remember and share with my 1839 friends (thanks, Google Calendar!) or am I kind in sparing them the burden of having to scroll rapidly past photos of dead people they're never met and never will do? Google Calendar doesn't remind me of and social media doesn't remind my friends of because I never thought to make it a personal day of remembrance for the rest of my days. For fuck's sake, when did death days become so much more important than birthdays when it comes to remembering people? But then none of my friends and family are Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 8:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!