Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sue Snell

I was reading some reviews of the pointless 2013 "Carrie" remake on IMDB and some mentioned that it was implied in the original "Carrie" with Sissy that Sue was in on the pig's blood prank. I've seen the original Carrie more times than I can count and I never once caught that implication. Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 12:57 PM

No, you are not. Whoever wrote that is clueless. In the book, Sue was yelling "plug it up," but she did not know about the prom "prank" and she stayed home on prom might. She thought she was pregnant and wanted Tommy's baby and began to freak that he was going to fall for Carrie. That is what led her to the gymnasium. At the end she find half-dead Carrie and she and Sue communicate via telepathy because Sue has powers, too. Carrie realizes Sue was not in on it then she dies. In the original movie, as you mention, Sue didn't know about the pig's blood—or any prom prank.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2021 3:11 PM

She is innocent of that crime.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2021 3:33 PM

Why do people on the internet lie so much???

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2021 3:51 PM

Shue Shnell! Thish ish my favorite Shisshy Shpacshek movie.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2021 3:53 PM

Back when I was in grade school, I had friends who insisted that at the end of the film after Carrie has killed the mother, the creaking that Carrie hears is the devil coming down from the top of the stairs (5:51 of the following clip). And that’s why she pulls herself and her mother’s body into the prayer closet.

I remember telling them no, they we’re watching the wrong movie. But they were convinced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2021 4:04 PM

Three separate things: 1) Satanists; 2) Wiccans; 3) people wih telekinetic powers.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2021 4:10 PM

Please. If anything, my daughter was too much a goody two shoes! I warned her to stay out of other people’s business…but she didn’t heed my advice and look where it got her. Twenty years of expensive psychotherapy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2021 5:21 PM

That's actually an angle in the book missing from the movie: Sue is made the scapegoat for the whole disaster & has become something of a local pariah. The locals want to believe she was in on it, but her whole story in the book is that she prompted Tommy to ask Carrie as a way to expiate her guilt as being part of bullying Carrie. Even though some of Stephen King's other female characters are pretty weak, he really gets the "kill or be killed" psyche of teenage girls.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2021 5:43 PM

I HATE the way the movie changed the ending and eliminated the brief moment of compassion Sue was able to show Carrie at the end. In the book, Sue comes across Carrie at the end of her rampage, and Carrie, thinking Sue was in on the prank, starts to attack Sue. Sue mentally begs Carrie to look into her mind to see the truth, and Carrie's powers allow her to see that Sue really was trying to be nice in asking Tommy to take Carrie to prom. Sue then holds Carrie as she dies from her wounds. So much more depth than the film's simplistic "Carrie turned evil and is haunting Sue from the grave" crap.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2021 7:00 PM

They tried to bring Sue back in during the finale of the last remake, but it came across as too cheesy. But so did just about everything else in that movie.

King has often said he felt Sue was a character he never really understood. He always questioned her motives for being nice to Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2021 7:08 PM

The involvement of Sue and Tommy is ambiguous. How does Sue know exactly when to show up during the coronation and why is she there in the first place. She looks upset when she discovers the wires for the bucket but the lack of total transparency is what makes the characters so interesting.

Betty Lynn does a spectacular job at the prom where she breaks down and tells Carrie the story about her prom, which we learned was all improvised.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2021 7:43 PM

[quote]King has often said he felt Sue was a character he never really understood. He always questioned her motives for being nice to Carrie.

That's so interesting because I always thought he did a good job of explaining it. Sue has an inner monologue about how what happens to Carrie in the locker room forces her to face the ugly fake facade so much of her life is: that on the surface she's Suzy Cupcake the nice girl but in reality she the kind of person who torments a vulnerable outcast just to go along. For her, making this small sacrifice to help Carrie fit in is the only way to begin to flip that around.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2021 8:08 PM

Buckley grills Sue and Tommy about why they are doing the prom thing to Carrie. Sue says to help her to get her to fit in. The way Amy Irving plays it is sincere. She doesn't seem to be lying at all.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2021 8:34 PM

I haven't read the book in ages, but doesn't Carrie use her powers to abort Sue's pregnancy before Carrie dies?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2021 9:37 PM

r5 I haven't read the novel. What is the creaking, and why does the house collapse?

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2021 9:49 PM

R13, I think it's a very interesting scene. You see Tommy wanting out immediately but the manner in which Sue sticks to her guns is rather bizarre. But I agree with pronouncement her mom makes when she says "My Sue is a good girl" but while perhaps she didn't understand the totality of the setup, she was in on it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2021 10:08 PM

R14, no. If I remember correctly, Sue miscarries after Carrie dies.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2021 10:31 PM

The sequel to the original movie was lousy. The ending of the first remake was interesting. Sissy Spacek did a phenomenal job as Carrie and Angela Bettis did a great job too. Chloe Grace Moretz was horribly miscast. She was way too pretty to be Carrie. I know pretty girls get bullied too but Carrie was not a pretty girl (at least not until she gets dolled up for the prom).

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2021 10:46 PM

I think the house collapsing was written for the movie, r15. Carrie’s telekinesis brings it down out of the anguish of what she has done.

At least that’s always been my interpretation. And definitely no Captain Howdy involved!

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2021 11:05 PM

Maybe Sue's goodness is also a way to showcase that goodness doesn't come from religion and, in fact, some of the most religious people like Carrie's mom are the worst and most evil people on this planet.

Sue's a great everyman/everywoman stand in, because we've all watched something that really upset us but did nothing to prevent it or make it better and have felt guilty about it. I think it's an understandable motivation.

I have always wondered what the real message of the story is. Of course, there's the element of "watch out who you make fun of, because they might get even with you when you push them too far", but Sue is so traumatized after doing the right thing and it literally ruins the rest of her life. The film ends on that great nightmare scene letting us know that she's fucked up for life simply because she dared to step out of line and correct a social injustice that bothered her. That's so tragic to me. All those good intentions only lead to death and heartache.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2021 11:12 PM

Snell is not in on the plot.

There is a scene where Buckley is yelling at the girls and telling them they'll get detention.

She asks Chris who's taking her to the prom. Chris boastfully says Billy Nolen.

She then says how about you Sue? Sue says Tommy Ross. Irving looks and sounds so guilty here and Buckley gets a flash of hurt and I always feel at that moment Buckley got thru to her about how lucky and privledged she is and how much Carrie has suffered.

In the book Tommy actually starts to fall in love with Carrie as they dance. He realizes how sweet she is.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 4:23 AM

I always thought Sue snuck into the prom just to see how things were going with Carrie and Tommy. In the movie, anyway.

The big plot hole really is that Chris comes up with her plan to humiliate Carrie at the prom before Tommy asks her, and before she agrees to go. Without Sue, there would have been no way Carrie would've gone to the prom. How could Chris have known to ask Billy for that favor at that point in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 4:32 AM

I never noticed that last part r22. I guess they got the chronology mixed uo.

I too believe that Sue goes to see how things are going at the prom. That scene where she is just about to pull the streamers away and expose Chris and Billy and Buckley pulls her away is so heartbreaking and well shot and acted. You can see Irving trying to explain to Buckley that Chris is under the stairs but Buckley won't listen and pulls her out.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 4:47 AM

[quote]R23 You can see Irving trying to explain to Buckley that Chris is under the stairs but Buckley won't listen and pulls her out.

Betty is having NONE OF IT!

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 4:49 AM

The editing in that sequence is amazing. I also love Betty's "Whew! Disaster averted!" look right after she kicks Sue out, obviously not knowing what's ahead.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2021 4:55 AM

Right. Miss Collins thinks Sue must be up to no good. That whole sequence, leading up to the blood being poured, is brilliantly edited and scored.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 4:55 AM

I need to re-read Carrie, because I don't remember/never considered Sue being pregnant on prom night. I thought she was just late (which she comments on, how her periods were normally right on schedule). I figured Sue getting her period right after she encounter Carrie was just a bit of things coming full circle. Also, shout out to the commenter who mentioned that Sue's considered an outcast after it all. That, and the utter bleakness of "life" continuing on in Chamberlain after what happened (like the high school valedictorian losing it during his speech) sticks in my memory.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2021 5:00 AM

I saw the musical Carrie on Broadway. I recall there being a point in a song where Tommy was falling for Carrie, and Sue was concerned.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2021 5:03 AM

I always thought it was a bit much that Buckley’s character was so …desperate, frankly, to kick Snell out. It *almost* made it seem like Miss Collins was the one who was in on it. Of course I know she wasn’t at all, I just think the way that exact moment was written/directed/played was a bit off.

[quote] but while perhaps she didn't understand the totality of the setup, she was in on it.

Sue Snell definitely was not “in on it”—what part of the plot would she have been privy to and gone along with? What do you think she thought was going on?

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2021 5:03 AM

The message is that teenagers can be as cruelly conservative as adults, and any deviation from the set social hierarchy will be punished. King explored similar themes in Christine.

If Sue had gone to prom with Tommy Ross, leaving Carrie to sit at home like the outcast she was expected to be, nobody would have died. After high school, Carrie would have ended up an obese shut-in living off her mother (Carrie herself imagines this future in the book).

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2021 5:05 AM

the whole slow motion sequence before the blood drop is amazing (and just prior to that is a long scene with Norma collecting the ballots that is one continuous take)

Irving noticing the rope twitch and then following it up to the bucket and then down to Chris under the stairs, Buckley clapping happily and glancing to the side noticing Irving...yes it does seem a bit far fetched that Sue couldn't get the words "look Chris is under the stairs" out and Buckley hear it but no horror movie is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2021 5:30 AM

Poor suit gets impaled in the head with an arrow in the horrid sequel The Rage: Carrie 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2021 6:05 AM

*Sue NOT suit

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2021 6:06 AM

yeah r33 they totally dishonored the character in the sequel. It would have been better to have her be the sole survivor again.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2021 6:09 AM

I first saw that movie when I was 12 years old, in 1982, on television at my grandparents house. I was supposed to be watching my sister, as all the adults went out to dinner. My sister was in another room watching Webster or some shit.

Obviously, a 12 year old closeted gay boy in 1982 feels for Carrie. I don't think any movie since has impacted me the way Carrie did on that 13 inch SD TV. I was putty in the director's hands. I HATED the kids that teased Carrie so fucking much. I was in a blind rage at them. My heart was in my mouth during the slow motion segment- I was praying that Sue would tell Miss Collins, and Miss Collins would put a stop to it. But no. The blood poured, and I was mortified for Carrie. I started crying. Then, as she started making shit go haywire, I stood up and cheered.

And then the fucking hand shooting up from the grave scene. Goddamn. I sat there through the closing credits PARALYSED with fear. Unable to move.

For about 22 minutes of that movie, Brian De Palma just had me hypnotized, for lack of a better word. Whatever he wanted me the viewer to feel, I felt, and I can never forget that experience.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2021 8:33 AM

[quote]The message is that teenagers can be as cruelly conservative as adults, and any deviation from the set social hierarchy will be punished. King explored similar themes in Christine.

If Sue had gone to prom with Tommy Ross, leaving Carrie to sit at home like the outcast she was expected to be, nobody would have died. After high school, Carrie would have ended up an obese shut-in living off her mother (Carrie herself imagines this future in the book).

That's a good point - I forgot about that

The scene where Buckley kicks Sue out of the prom is brilliant, though you can't help but watch that today & think that any teacher that got that aggressive with a student (unless the student is a black male) is about to find herself without a job

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2021 10:40 AM

[quote]Without Sue, there would have been no way Carrie would've gone to the prom.

R22 that was pointed out in the Moretz version. In the final scene when Carrie is holding her dead mother she screams at Sue: Why didn’t you leave us alone?

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2021 1:57 PM

You coulda said no, Carrie!

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2021 4:44 PM

The prom scene is so brilliant. No matter how many times you watch it, you hope that, somehow, Chris and Billy will be stopped this time. The moment Carrie goes from teenage dream in a pink gown to a blood-spattered horror is one of the most shocking visuals in cinema history.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2021 4:50 PM

While the novel is great and the story itself is terrific, I find it telling that the only adaptation that's ever been truly brilliant has been the De Palma version. It takes a few (rather smart) liberties with the story, but it's the only one of them that truly works and has you on the edge of your seat the entire time. As others have mentioned, the slow motion prom sequence is brilliant and should be studied over and over by anyone who's thinking of getting into film. You're so thrilled for Carrie when you see how how happy she is to get crowned as prom queen while you're praying that Sue will be able to stop Billy and Chris. So many emotions in 5 minutes of silent film. And that Pino Donaggio score is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

I had a similar experience watching it as a kid as R35. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen the entire time and found myself ripping through the TV Guide, hoping it would be playing again next week. Whenever it was on TV, I had to sit down and watch it from then on out. Eventually, my parents allowed me to buy the VHS because I was watching it so much.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2021 5:32 PM

Completely agreed about the prom scene; it's brilliant & it still holds up. But the scenes where Carrie imagines everyone laughing at her & the doors snap shut, it makes me think of school shooters who finally lash out only to kill a lot of innocent people caught in the crossfire

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2021 6:21 PM

*lash out at their tormenters - real or perceived*

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2021 6:23 PM

R36 well I did slap that bitch Chris across the face hard and got away with it contrary to what she said.

--Betty "CUNT" Buckley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2021 9:41 PM

Who was worse Mrs. White or Beamish?

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2021 9:58 PM

R41, R42 -- yes, unfortunately reality makes Carrie even more haunting. BITD, the movie was apparently sold as "scary-funny." It's interesting how the ensemble of Carrie's classmates, through little to no changes in their actions-personalities, have gone from people we were okay to see get killed off to "Oh my God, they're kids!"

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2021 12:28 AM

I'm still happy to see Chris and the cunt in the red hat offed by Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2021 4:59 PM

R22 A lot of Chris' scenes seem edited wrong. She and Billy hide the pigs blood before the scene where they are decorating the gym. Surely someone would have noticed it.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2021 5:14 PM

The novel is actually an epistolary novel, one written out of letters, newspaper clippings, police documents, ect. I always wanted a Carrie film to be done Mockumentry style to mirror that.

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2021 5:52 PM

R48 I can't remember. Is it exclusively epistolary? Or are there times when it switches to third person narrative? I picked up Dracula a few months ago, and realized it was epistolary as well, but also has those third person scenes throughout the book.

Yes, a version of Carrie that's done as an episode of a fictional, well established in it's own world documentary TV series, like Investigative Reports on A&E with Bill Kurtis, could be good.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2021 6:18 AM

I think it switches to third person narrative occasionally

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2021 6:21 AM

She's not in on it (she;s horrified by the truth of it when she spots tyhe pail above Carrie's head), but dePalma purposefully plays with you so you're not sure she's in on it until the very last minute. That's the point of the scene where sue and Tommy are snickering and exhcanging looks when they meet with the gym teacher--to put you off guard. De Palma wants you to participate in Carrie's paranoia so like her you think everyone is plotting against her, just as she believes after the blood drenches her.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote] That's the point of the scene where sue and Tommy are snickering and exchanging looks when they meet with the gym teacher--to put you off guard

Sue doesn't snicker. She's quite serious and determined in that scene to prove to Buckley she is trying to help. Only Tommy snickers because he's a dumb jock and Norma makes him laugh.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2021 7:23 AM

I actually liked the remake but Chloe Grace Moretz was much too pretty for the part.

They had to get that supermodel type to play Sue as a result. Ridiculous. But other than that I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2021 7:31 AM

The only thing I like about the remake is that Chris gets a more satisfying end

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2021 12:52 PM

I was n't put off guard by that scene, R51. I never once thought that Sue was involved.

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2021 12:56 PM

Oh, do shut up Mrs. Snell at R7! Sue is young enough that, in time, she'll forget all about it!

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2021 12:59 PM

I’ll drink to that!

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2021 2:33 PM

r48, I hated the structure of the book when I read it in high school. The way it jumped around was distracting to me. I should read it again from a more mature (ie. OLD) perspective.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote]Yes, a version of Carrie that's done as an episode of a fictional, well established in it's own world documentary TV series, like Investigative Reports on A&E with Bill Kurtis, could be good.

It might be the only style of remake that would work. You can't beat DePalma for classic horror-thriller: The remakes have proven that. Best to go in a whole new direction.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2021 4:04 PM

"Well, Sue always a dizzy slut, so maybe you're right, R56" (takes another gulp of a highball) - Mrs. Snell

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2021 5:37 PM

My Sue is a good girl!

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2021 5:49 PM

Apparently, the remake with Chloe was shot to be a mix of regular narrative and courtroom/investigation stuff post-prom massacre, but not much of it remained in the movie after some bad test screenings and studio meddling. Of course, the TV movie tried something similar and it didn't quite work either.

What they should really do is pretend the entire thing is a 2 hour episode of a Netflix documentary and have the narrative parts played be reenactment actors. Make the entire thing seem like a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2021 5:50 PM

Carrie White eats SHIT

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2021 7:38 PM

I'd say the book was about half epistolary, half third person narrative. What I liked was the variety of the epistolary portions. In addition to excerpts from a scholarly-type book written about the disaster, there's also excerpts from Sue's book, testimony before a commission (including from Sue), and magazine and print articles. For whatever reason, we also get the program from the prom, which adds some amusing camp value. They apparently only danced to a handful of songs even before Carrie's fury.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2021 4:16 AM

[quote]R64 there's also excerpts from Sue's book

Ah, yes. The immortal [italic]My Name is Sue Snell.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2021 4:19 AM

LOL r56.

I've thought that too. The mother says no I wouldn't let her go to the funerals what with Tommy and all the others gone. Then Dr whoever says she's young enough that in time she'll forget all about it!!! Forget it??? Your whole high school dies in a supernatural massacre that you had a hand in causing. Yeah that's forgettable.

I guess it does set up Irving's scream pretty well though. Irving's shear hysteria lets us know she'll never forget about this.

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2021 4:41 AM

yes r54 that ending for Chris is so horrible the way her face is stuck in the glass.

The remake must have been a real disappointment. I don't think Julianne Moore did any press for the film. I found some interviews while they were filming it but nothing from the release where she is out selling it.

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2021 4:43 AM

I think after Piper Laurie, Mrs. White is an impossible role for an actress to play. You either imitate it (poorly) and take another track and pale in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2021 4:48 AM

yes r68. True.

But from what I've seen online Betty Buckley was pretty spectacular in the musical no matter how bad it was.

Nobody else has come close. Interesting that they all tried different tactics. Patricia Clarkson was stoic, Julianne Moore morose and troubled, Marin Mazzie was directed to be a victim too (as the press for the off-Broadway show kept reiterating.)

Buckley's played her as fiercely dominating. That worked. And she sang amazingly.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2021 4:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2021 6:30 AM

Betty really does have a phenomenal voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2021 6:31 AM

Betty in And Eve was Weak

I've heard it said that if the whole show had been at this level it would have been a smash.

(btw that is Barbara Cook at the beginning from the London production and then it flips to show Betty)

It is Betty's voice throughout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2021 6:35 AM

R61 made me laugh.

"And I think you're UNDERreacting, MRS. SNELL!"

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2021 6:36 AM

I saw Carrie in a packed movie theater, opening weekend, in Seekonk, Massachusetts. As Sue Snell is slowly walking toward the makeshift grave with a bouquet of flowers, the theatre audience is completely silent.

THEN - the hand comes up: MASS HYSTERIA! Screams!! Popcorn and soda containers flying out of hands - up in the air - landing on other people's heads! I was accidentally showered with the diet coke belonging to the patron behind me.

Then everyone laughing out of embarrassment. It was possibly the greatest movie experience I ever had.

Carrie is the movie I would most love to see again for the first time!

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2021 7:02 AM

Piper Laurie is so good in this. It’s like everything she does in it is perfectly composed.

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2021 7:03 AM

The 2002 made-for-television movie- the one with Patricia Clarkson and Angela Bettis- I recall some of the publicity leading up to it said that this version was a completely different take from the 1976 feature film- that it would be closer to the book.

But when I watched it, I couldn't believe eyes (or ears.) Not only was a ton of dialogue (which wasn't in the book at all) lifted from the 1976 script for the movie, but there were certain scenes that were shot-for-shot remakes of scenes in the 1976 version! I'm not saying the entire thing, but a ton of it.

Later, I read it was supposed to be a pilot for a new series. Basically, this was a failed pilot they tried to pass off as a stand alone made-for-tv movie. But saying it's a "completely new take" and then lifting from the 1976 movie was really weird.

There were MORE scene in the 2002 version, but many of the ones that were already there used the 1976 script. And added in the internet.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2021 7:07 AM

I can remember seeing some kid's movie and they showed the trailer for Carrie. Us kids were terrified. I remember how I'd run home from the house next door after playing there on winter days and be terrified that a bloody Carrie would be in the bushes.

I think the MPAA eventually started rating trailers so they matched with the movie being shown.

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2021 7:08 AM

The 2002 version also changes the plot into Carrie going into a stupor and not knowing what happens. I guess the series was supposed to be a Fugitive type thing with Carrie and Sue on the run trying to clear Carrie's name. (....and what then? She'd periodically have more spells and things would move around?)

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2021 7:10 AM

R76 You might be somewhat mis-remembering, or misinterpreting. I remember the tv trailers. It was promoted as "a reimagining" of Carrie. (Nuance is everything).

The tv remake wasn't awful. What I remember most was they cast a light-skinned African-American as Sue Snell. The actress not only strongly resembled Amy Irving, but was, (if possible) even more strikingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2021 7:16 AM

R74 That would have had to be TAB. Diet Coke wasn't around yet.

Sorry, sorry, I'm a TAB apologist.

Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote] The 2002 made-for-television movie- the one with Patricia Clarkson and Angela Bettis- I recall some of the publicity leading up to it said that this version was a completely different take from the 1976 feature film- that it would be closer to the book.

[qoute]But when I watched it, I couldn't believe eyes (or ears.) Not only was a ton of dialogue (which wasn't in the book at all) lifted from the 1976 script for the movie, but there were certain scenes that were shot-for-shot remakes of scenes in the 1976 version! I'm not saying the entire thing, but a ton of it.

Same thing with the Chloe Grace Moretz version. I remember interviews with the director saying it was a new adaptation of the book and she didn’t like calling it a remake but when I finally saw the movie there was exact dialogue and scenes copied from the DePalma version.

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2021 7:27 AM

R81 I believe the studio had massive fights with director Kimberly Pierce, and completely re-edited her cut of the movie. So she might not have been lying when the interview took place.

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2021 9:22 AM

The 2013 film was heresy. On the same par with Exorcist II: The Heretic

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2021 9:24 AM

Sue was not in on the prank. I think some of the people who claim this are misunderstanding King's statement that he didn't trust Sue's motives for sending Carrie to the prom.

What I think he means by this is the question: "Does Sue really want to help Carrie, or does she want to alleviate her own guilt?"

Also, this was his first published novel (though he'd been writing a lot prior to this), he may have felt that while he intended Sue to be doing good, he never felt completely satisfied with his writing portraying that.

This story and the de Palma movie are so fascinating, because I think they tap into something within a lot of us, that memory of being bullied and the cathartic nature of revenge in this safe format. No matter how many times I see that movie, I get so angry and then feel so elated as Carrie kills her classmates and teachers. Even my mother, I remember, years ago watching it, and she is very much a "turn the other cheek" person, but she nearly leapt up cheering when PJ Soles' character gets her neck broken. It just gets us, this story, deep inside.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2021 11:18 AM

Everyone loves Piper Laurie's performance... except me. It's too hammy, I have trouble watching her. She spoils to me what is otherwise an excellent movie... well, not spoils actually, because I still think it's excellent. But I will never understand why she is so praised. I've never really seen a performance from her that hasn't made me cringe somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2021 11:20 AM

Blasphemy r85!

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2021 12:49 PM

I love a lot of the songs in the musical, basically the mother's songs, but was always disappointed in how they did the destruction of the prom. This L.A. production got it right. Love how they kill Chris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 12:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!