Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All the Films Denzel Washington Should’ve Received Oscars For

[QUOTE]Malcolm X, Devil in a Blue Dress, He Got Game, John Q, Inside Man, American Gangster, The Equalizer, Fences

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 6, 2022 5:49 PM

None.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2021 11:02 PM

I agree with Fences.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2021 11:02 PM

Fences and Malcolm X.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2021 11:02 PM

I never would have thought that Denzel would find his way to DL.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2021 11:03 PM

I'm with R1 all of his characters are barely nuanced versions of each other.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2021 11:07 PM

I see the racists have already appeared.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Yaass kween, yaass.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2021 11:10 PM

[QUOTE] I never would have thought that Denzel would find his way to DL.

Denzel couldn’t care LESS about what those pansies in Hollywood think about him. Plus he’s busy filming his latest masterpiece, building onto a legendary resume, and his newest impeccable role will undoubtedly also be overlooked by those pansies in Hollywood just like all the others listed here.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2021 11:12 PM

R6 I don't think Tom Hanks deserved an Oscar either, for exactly the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2021 11:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2021 11:15 PM

[QUOTE] I'm with R1 all of his characters are barely nuanced versions of each other.

You could say that about damn near any actor or actress.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Denzel Denzel Denzel

The Equalizer was THE SHIT!!

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2021 11:16 PM

R12 If you miss THE out I'd thoroughly agree.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2021 11:18 PM

I decided to read this Rolling Stone article about Denzel’s movie career. I haven’t seen much of his work. Very enlightening. He’s had some impressive roles and has won Oscars. Gonna watch a couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2021 11:18 PM

That's the difference between U.S. and European films. You can actually see American actors thinking about Oscar* while they're acting.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2021 11:19 PM

^while Europeans are thinking about Oscar AND American cash.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2021 11:26 PM

[QUOTE] That's the difference between U.S. and European films.

I think the main difference is that people actually want to watch American films.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2021 11:27 PM

Denzel Washington has been amazing in everything he's been in. He deserves much more recognition. I'd add to that list: - The Great Debaters - Antwon Fisher - Glory - Man On Fire Totally unrelated to this conversation, but can we please see his dick in one of these movies? Please?

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2021 11:53 PM

I don’t think anyone wants to see Denzel’s dick at this point.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2021 1:05 AM

Speak for yourself R19... I'm fairly confident that it is still big and Black!

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2021 1:06 AM

Denzel is an elder statesman now, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2021 9:06 AM

You can see the quickest flash of his dick in an old movie called Ricochet.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2021 9:09 AM

As R2 stated: NONE.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2021 9:14 AM

Malcom X and Fences.

While Man on Fire is a favorite movie of mine, I'm not sure it was an Oscar worthy role.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2021 12:31 PM

I would say he is the most consistently enjoyable actor to watch. Even if the movie he's in is just ok, Denzel always elevates his part and gets you totally hooked.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2021 12:53 PM

Denzel Washington is one of the last true stars.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2021 12:56 PM

They had an opportunity to do something really great with The Magnificent Seven remake, but among other things they hampered the styling, no one stands out, and I don't think mutton chops suit Mr Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2021 1:00 PM

He was excellent as Malcolm X.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2021 1:11 PM

He should have received an award for advising me not to kiss Anthony Michael Hall onscreen in “6 Degrees…” because playing it “too gay” would have ruined my career, pigeonholing me (or is it “cornholing me? Sorry, I always get those two words mixed up). If not for Denzel, today I might not be serving up fare like “Bright” and “Gemini Man.”

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2021 1:29 PM

R21 Old dick is still good dick! Especially if it is big and black!

Sign me up for some!

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2021 1:08 PM

He's a very limited talent. OP is a racist shit-stirrer.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2021 1:12 PM

He’s won two Oscars, you know. Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2021 1:34 PM

He looks like he has bad breath

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2021 2:02 PM

Damn, he’s pissed. The look on his face spells such anger over a stupid meaningless trophy. Can’t understand why people get all hot and bothered over such trivial things in life. Shows the thin layer of humanity to elevate a small statue over important things.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2021 2:09 PM

R34 The OP's meme at the top is the cutaway to Denzel when they announced him as a NOMINEE (people don't usually clap for themselves - you see his wife and people around him clapping up a storm FOR HIM). If you go to YouTube you can see him clapping when Casey Affleck won.

He wasn't pissed. You can put away the angry Black man trope.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2021 2:20 PM

r19 Denzel has some strong grandaddy pipe, make you walk funny in the morning

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2021 2:29 PM

He always seems super uncomfortable at award shows. Is he really shy in real life?

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2021 2:31 PM

R37 I think everyone nominated at an awards show is uncomfortable. Most people deal with it by having a drink or two. Denzel doesn't drink anymore.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2021 2:42 PM

There were rumours in the early 1990's that when Denzel was making Much Ado About Nothing he and Emma Thompson had a fling. Can anybody shed any more on that?

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2021 2:58 PM

He was the weakest part of Pelican Brief!!

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2021 3:54 PM

No one here has mentioned FLIGHT. Another great performance in a role he'd never attempted before. He lost the Daniel Day Lewis in LINCOLN. Both did great work. It could've gone either way.

by Anonymousreply 41September 28, 2021 4:42 AM

Assuming there were no brave trans men of color in the running, of course.

by Anonymousreply 42September 28, 2021 4:48 AM

I collect Blu-rays and I was surprised to find I have so many Denzel films in my collection. He's very consistent.

I really love The Mighty Quinn. It's one of his earlier pictures, but you can see why he was going to be a big star from that film. Also recently watched Crimson Tide and Denzel and Gene Hackman were both excellent.

Denzel and Tony Scott made a number of movies together - Crimson Tide, Man on Fire, Deja Vu, Unstoppable. Good, classic action films.

Also, would love to see Heart Condtion again. Two of my favourite actors in one film: Denzel and Bob Hoskins.

by Anonymousreply 43September 28, 2021 4:55 AM

Flight is a fantastic film! And Denzel is great in it. Now I need to watch it again...

by Anonymousreply 44September 28, 2021 5:05 AM

Homophobic Republican…why should I give a cat’s fart about this ass? That said, I do love Mississippi Masala.

by Anonymousreply 45September 28, 2021 5:09 AM

None. Overrated hack.

by Anonymousreply 46September 28, 2021 5:22 AM

And he is bitter every time he doesn't get nominated or wins.

by Anonymousreply 47September 28, 2021 5:25 AM

Regarding [italic]Devil in a Blue Dress[/italic], Don Cheadle should have won an Oscar for supporting.

I don't mind movie stars winning Oscars. They make a lot of money for Hollywood. DW has been in a lot of entertaining movies, e.g., [italic]Virtuosity[/italic] and [italic]the Mighty Quinn[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 48September 28, 2021 5:55 AM

He's a better actor than most, but that doesn't make him good. Overrated because of the idea that every time a member of a marginalized group becomes popular and prominent, they HAVE to be seen as groundbreaking/excellent no matter how mediocre they are. Greta Gerwig is an example of this idea in the field of directing.

by Anonymousreply 49September 28, 2021 6:02 AM

I love Man on Fire and he was excellent in it. However I think Tony Scott deserved an Oscar for best director more than Denzel deserves one for acting in that movie. The score was good too.

by Anonymousreply 50September 28, 2021 6:06 AM

A talented actor, but he seems like such a jerk and pompous windbag.

I hear he cheats on his wife a lot.

by Anonymousreply 51September 28, 2021 6:13 AM

Hi Julia!!

by Anonymousreply 52September 28, 2021 10:14 AM

I loved Inside Man and almost no one I know seems to remember it, let alone like it.

by Anonymousreply 53September 28, 2021 10:38 AM

Most people are morons, R53. Inside Man was a great movie. It’s a shame Denzel and Spike Lee don’t work together more often.

by Anonymousreply 54September 28, 2021 10:54 AM

Why are they acting like he never won one? He won 2, that's plenty! The number of actors who won more than that is minuscule.

by Anonymousreply 55September 28, 2021 10:55 AM

[quote] I hear he cheats on his wife a lot.

The rumor was that, years ago, he came very close to leaving his wife for Sanaa Lathan.

Back then, Blind Items weren't so lazily written and were actually fun to guess at. A DLer, who seemed credible said a BI answer was Denzel Washington and Sanaa Lathan and that it was common knowledge that they were in the midst of a hot affair that was impacting his long-time marriage.

by Anonymousreply 56September 28, 2021 11:32 AM

R49 Greta Gerwig is a good director. Lady Bird was an unqualified success not because it was directed by a woman. Little Women was even better.

by Anonymousreply 57September 28, 2021 11:41 AM

Denzel Washington hates gay people. He's one of those Christian losers.

by Anonymousreply 58September 28, 2021 12:34 PM

When did he say he hated gay people, R58?

by Anonymousreply 59September 28, 2021 2:04 PM

only this..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 28, 2021 2:23 PM

He's hardly the only deserving performer to be denied recognition by.......lesser talent.

by Anonymousreply 61September 28, 2021 2:26 PM

R41 Day Lewis had the Oscar sewn up practically when he was filming Lincoln. There was no going either way that year. That was reserved for when he lost to Affleck. I think his smug, asshole ways cost him the Oscar. The man couldn’t even act a good losers face when he lost to Casey.

by Anonymousreply 62September 28, 2021 3:02 PM

Um, none. Overrated.

by Anonymousreply 63September 28, 2021 6:13 PM

All of them!

He's a versatile actor who has done some of almost everything!

Phenomenal actor!

My favorites include: Equalizer Man on Fire Malcolm X Glory Philadelphia Manchurian Candidate Antwone Fisher The Great Debaters A Soldier's story The Preacher's Wife

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2021 2:58 PM

R5 called it. Washington is an extremely limited actor who repeats the same tired performance. Waste of time/money.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2021 3:07 PM

Ellen Pompeo Says She Cussed Out Denzel Washington On ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Set

Washington, a two-time Oscar-winning actor, was helming 2016′s “The Sound of Silence” episode when Pompeo said she ad-libbed the line, “Look at me when you apologize. Look at me,” in an exchange with another actor. The off-script moment irritated Washington.

“Denzel went ham on my ass,” she told former co-star Patrick Dempsey on her “Tell Me” podcast, posted Wednesday. “He was like, ‘I’m the director. Don’t you tell him what to do.’ And I was like, ’Listen, motherfucker, this is my show. This is my set. Who are you telling? Like you barely know where the bathroom is.’”

The two didn’t speak for a while. Pompeo said she told Washington’s wife, Pauletta Pearson, that Washington yelled at her and “I’m not OK with him.”

But the two eventually patched things up, and Pompeo said she has the “utmost respect” for Washington. The passion of performers, she added, creates the “magic.”

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2021 3:19 PM

R66 Why would she brag about something like that? Ellen Pompeo sounds like a real Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2021 3:24 PM

Angry b man. And vastly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2021 3:33 PM

Vastly overrated by what standard, R68?

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2021 9:41 PM

r6 which of the first 5 responses were racist? Enlighten me please.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 5:05 AM

R15 you get to see only the arthouse European films here. Comparing them to major Hollywood studio productions is comparing apples to oranges.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2021 6:59 AM

The BAFTA's say NONE.

They have never nominated him.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2021 10:12 AM

Dear R70

I am not R6, but I agree with him.

Clearly R1 and R5 are racist as fuck.

Denzel Washington is a celebrated actor with numerous awards and a fairly consistent career. The man is always working and gets good roles! That is very difficult to do for ANY actor much less a Black actor who has had to also bare the burden of constant discrimination.

Directors love him. Fans love him. Most of his movies do well. What is the standard you're using?

I cannot think of a single actor of his caliber that would be so carelessly disregarded.

To dismiss his work is racist.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2021 2:01 PM

*bear

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 2:02 PM

Denzel should get an Oscar for getting up in the morning.

It’s literal racism not to do so.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2021 2:04 PM

R75 Racist much?

Go to sleep and try getting up again.

You need a do-over because you sound like a damn fool.

Maybe you can redeem yourself.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2021 2:36 PM

Thanks for that list, r14. I thought him playing Steve Biko in Cry Freedom is probably his most underrated role. I'm glad to see it rank so high. He nailed that African freedom fighter essence.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2021 2:39 PM

He should have received an award for advising me not to kiss Anthony Michael Hall onscreen in “6 Degrees…” because playing it “too gay” would have ruined my career, pigeonholing me (or is it “cornholing me? 29

Homophobic Republican…why should I give a cat’s fart about this ass? 45

Denzel Washington hates gay people. He's one of those Christian losers. 58

R29, r45 and r58 are peddling misinformation. First, Denzel is not a Republican and supported Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama, Hillary and Biden. Now we're done with that lie, let's take a look at the racist and homophobic charge:

The reason Denzel refused to kiss a white woman for most of his career is that he was fully aware of Hollywood's deliberate marginalization of black women, especially if they were dark-skinned, and therefore made a stand against partaking in or enabling it further. Credit to Denzel.

The other charge is homophobia, citing mainly the advice he gave Will Smith for 'Six Degrees ...'. Only that, Denzel was right. Especially given Will was an up and coming black actor with zero cachet in Hollywood which, to this day, is still very hostile to the idea of it's leading men playing or being gay. Hollywood is homophobic, not Denzel.

During the 2016-2017 award season, Denzel turned out to be one of the biggest supporters of Barry Jenkins' 'Moonlight', even though he had his own movie competing. When the Oscar award kerfuffle happened and hysteria ruling the auditorium, Denzel was the only one who kept his head - stood up, and kept yelling at the stagehands: "Barry! Barry! Let Barry speak!" So the director of 'Moonlight' got to make his speech, albeit short and unprepared, in the end because of Denzel. Compare that to Clint Eastwood who actively campaigned against 'Brokeback Mountain' and when it looked that no movie was good enough to compete that year, mobilized like-minded academy voters to coalesce around 'Crash' just to beat the far superior BBM.

Denzel and his wife had fallen in love with Ashton Sanders performance, met him on the red carpet when he was fanboing over Denzel, took him under his wing, mentored him and cast him in his next movie. Denzel is fan of 'Moonlight'. Hardly a homophobbe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2021 3:19 PM

That schtick is wearing thin, r76, but thanks for perfectly pricing my exact point lol. Enjoy your crutch and have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2021 3:26 PM

proving

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2021 3:27 PM

With 3 prestigious BETs, his trophy rack is far from empty.

The Black Entertainment Award (BET) for Best Actor is awarded to actors from both television and film. Some nominees have been nominated based on their performances in multiple bodies of work within the eligibility period. Denzel Washington holds the record for most wins in this category with three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2021 3:31 PM

Another interview with Denzel and his protege.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2021 3:35 PM

R75

Your racism aint cute. You keep putting your foot deeper in your mouth. You racists are like the worst kids misbehaving in class for attention. We all see you. Now go away.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2021 4:06 PM

Looking at r14, I honestly can't think of any actor with a resume as solid as his.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2021 2:45 AM

Refused to kiss Julia Roberts in the movie, but she made sure to plant one on him at the Oscars in front of his wife. Classless woman.

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2021 1:42 PM

How many Oscars do you think Denzel deserves, OP?

All of them?

Fine.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2021 1:58 PM

I am the OP, R86.

I won’t say all of them, but I think he certainly deserved more than one.

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2021 4:19 PM

He looks terrible there

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2021 4:22 PM

I always felt he shouldve won for The Hurricane (even though he lost to Kevin Spacey for American Beauty), and Russell Crowe should've won for A Beautiful Mind (even though he lost to Denzel for Training Day). Had that happened, 2 deserving actors would've won their second Oscar, and a notorious pedo would only have a Supporting Actor trophy.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2021 4:28 PM

Thanks OP/ R87 I agree.

I don't understand why people come on here and offer nothing but insults to people who are having a dialogue. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2021 5:23 PM

Denzel has two Oscars. Lead in Training Day and supporting in Glory.

by Anonymousreply 91October 21, 2021 2:00 AM

He should've won supporting for playing Steve Biko in Cry Freedom. And best actor for Fences instead of #MeToo pest Casey Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 92October 21, 2021 2:02 AM

Casey Affleck getting that award over Denzel was a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 93February 6, 2022 1:33 PM

Is his health ok? He loses a ton of weight for movies but then balloons hugely between films. that cant be good someone his age

by Anonymousreply 94February 6, 2022 2:15 PM

Denzel basically plays the same role in every movie

by Anonymousreply 95February 6, 2022 2:57 PM

r95 he does but he's so good at that one role, it captivates you every time no matter what the story is. In five minutes Denzel just draws you right in. There are very few actors in history who could pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 96February 6, 2022 3:39 PM

He was wonderful in Malcolm X. And very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 97February 6, 2022 4:16 PM

American Gangster was great as well. A lot of young up and coming hotties in that film.

by Anonymousreply 98February 6, 2022 4:18 PM

I'd say he has exactly as many Oscars as he has deserved so far.

by Anonymousreply 99February 6, 2022 4:23 PM

R67 Pompeo is not a bitch she's a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 100February 6, 2022 4:33 PM

I could say Pacino deserved the Oscar for the Godfather films, Dog Day Afternoon and Donnie Brasco for which he wasn't even nominated but it needs context: who did he lose to and who were his fellow nominees. Nicole Kidman deserved an Oscar for To Die For as did Deborah Kerr for The Innocents and Mia Farrow for Rosemary's Baby but none of them were even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 101February 6, 2022 4:46 PM

He was always overrated. Shitty actor. Asshole in person.

by Anonymousreply 102February 6, 2022 5:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!