Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite landscape painting?

I know landscapes are not the most popular genre, especially among artists, but are there any that you particularly like?

I've always enjoyed the Dutch Golden Age landscapes. Jacob van Ruisdael is a favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 9:46 PM

Excellent choice OP. I also love Van Ruisdael and his dramatic skies.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 12:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 12:40 PM

Expulsion from the Garden of Eden was painted in 1828 by Thomas Cole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 12:46 PM

Beautiful r3

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2021 12:57 PM

A top candidate would have to be William Dyce's, "Pegwell Bay, Kent – a Recollection of October 5th, 1858" for its luminosity and the clever way it represents an important shift in history and culture, the title referring to the precise time of a comet but also a great change. Darwin's major work was published in 1859 (the painting was completed and first exhibited in 1860), and the way of viewing the world changed stemming from that and other forces at work at the same time.

And it's a glorious painting in the flesh, much better than it photographs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2021 1:46 PM

I like the western fantasy landscapes, especially Albert Bierstadt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2021 2:12 PM

Constable Constable Constable. No one else compares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2021 4:32 PM

Beautiful r7

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2021 4:56 PM

Laura Knight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2021 5:01 PM

A recent discovery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2021 10:54 PM

I always make a point to visit this one in the National Gallery, London.

Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg's, "View of the Forum in Rome," 1814.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2021 9:06 AM

Nice overview of the genre and some of the greatest masterpieces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2021 3:14 AM

Magnificent:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 8:58 PM

Many by Cezanne. Maybe this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 9:04 PM

Or perhaps Ice Floes by Monet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 9:05 PM

Or maybe Vincent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 9:07 PM

I despise manscaping!

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 9:08 PM

I've been studying the 19th c. plein air Russian painters for a couple years, and love their color, sense of distances, respect for the countryside and its ways of life, and commitment to the "truth" of the moment. I couldn't name a favorite among the many wonderful Levitans, Yaroshenkos. Shishkins, Kuindzhis. Arkhipovs and Bogdanov-Belskys, but here's one from Shishkin. For me it's the best evocation of how a certain kind of winter day is after a night's snow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 9:30 PM

Thank you, r18! I love Shishkin already.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 9:33 PM

I saw a painting by Peter Howson for sale on an online auction a few years ago. It was a seascape, a religious theme, but more humanist to me, as I am not religious at all. It was entitled something like Ship on the Sea of Galilee. I can’t find an image of it, but I deeply regret not trying to buy it. The image has stuck in my head, even though I can’t find it on Google. It would have been a hugely extravagant purchase for me, but it’s really the only thing I have ever wanted to own so badly.

Anyway, apart from that, I love this Van Gogh. In fact, I love all his landscapes. His paintings seem to be alive, always in flux, and that seems perfect for landscape painting, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!