Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Turner Classic Movies and LGBT Pride Month

It's very disappointing that TCM does not show more LGBT themed films, especially during Pride month. Many LGBT films were released over the years, especially documentaries. They could even show "The Celluiod Closet". To their credit, they've shown "The Times of Harvey Milk", yet there's little else.

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2021 2:38 AM

I feel the same way OP.

There are so many films made that never get shown on TV and TCM rarely takes the opportunity to air anything other than The Birdcage (the new version not the original) and crap like that.

The Canadian channel Showcase used to show gay themed movies every night during June before it became the NCIS channel.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2021 10:31 PM

I haven't had cable for ages, but I thought they did entire theme months? I remember seeing quite a few LGBT films scheduled in June, when I had cable at least.

You can stream The Times of Harvey Milk on the CriterionChannel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2021 10:33 PM

I no longer get TCM, but it seems like they've done more to celebrate Pride with related programming in the past.

We shouldn't single out TCM, perhaps. Why don't other networks and streaming services do more to celebrate Pride? Other groups get the recognition they deserve at other times of the year.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2021 10:35 PM

LGBT is a ghastly acronym.

Why on earth should I be 'proud' of it?

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2021 10:37 PM

Get back to your knitting R4.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2021 10:38 PM

R4:

OP here.....

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.....

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2021 10:39 PM

But TCM is gay every day of the year.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2021 10:41 PM

Yes R7. I came here to say that. They play Bomba the Jungle Boy!!!

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2021 10:44 PM

Go to Criterion streaming, they are playing Celluloid Closet and several other movies from those directors this month.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2021 10:48 PM

Supply and Demand.

If they got ratings, they’d air executions.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2021 10:50 PM

I think Criterion also still has all of Marlon Riggs' stuff up there too. Plus other random gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2021 10:55 PM

Oooh, have a look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 11:01 PM

And don't bitch because it says "queer" please.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 11:02 PM

Look at that lineup on Criterion! Seriously?! For $10, that is an incredible value.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote]especially documentaries.

Probably because it itsn't called Turner Classic Documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2021 12:28 AM

the problem with TCM is they made it subscription based and the only reason I get anything from there is because I already had HBO Max

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2021 12:36 AM

I wish it was cheaper to get TCM. For a month or two I paid for Hulu Live TV just to watch it, but I could not justify the expense.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2021 12:39 AM

I know I can go stream or get it to view on my own, but I'm surprised each year I don't see "Brokeback Mountain" shown anymore on the cable movie stations especially during Pride Month. I think it's an important cinematographic part of gay history. Instead, you have the same few channels repeating the same tired garbage bro, twee and frau movies over and over and over and over. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2021 1:40 AM

Brokeback Mountain is overrated crap, it's boring outside of the sex scene

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2021 1:42 AM

The mutual rape scene?

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2021 1:44 AM

Considering their longtime host was Robert Osbourne, who was gay and whose partner was producer/director David Staller, it's a slap in the face to every LGBTQ person that TCM doesn't show more LGBTQ films. Osbourne would most certainly disapprove.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2021 1:50 AM

I don't know, I sort of think it's the gayest thing going and can't believe it's still around. The real problem may be that TCM represents the olden days of appropriating straight media for gay enjoyment. There were no positive olden gay flicks. TCM is not about media made FOR gays.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2021 1:54 AM

What films available to TCM do you think they should be airing this month?

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2021 1:55 AM

I'm telling you, the complainers here need to pay for a month of Criterion.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2021 1:57 AM

they have Torch Song Trilogy on HBO Max as part of their TCM content

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2021 1:58 AM

Criterion has Todd Haynes' Poison this month, I've been waiting awhile to see that one.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2021 2:00 AM

Does TCM still the Tarzan marathon every Saturday morning?

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]Osbourne would most certainly disapprove.

With a stern phone call with finger wagging?

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2021 2:05 AM

You know, after looking at the TCM schedule, their programming seems like it's gotten pretty bland. I remember they used to play more obscure and diverse classic films AND they did put more effort into month-long programming. I remember one year TCM made a huge deal about Asian Heritage Month in May (I think). I'm glad they're still doing TCM Underground on Friday nights.

Iiinteresting that their theme for June is juvenile delinquents.

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2021 2:12 AM

"Does TCM still the Tarzan marathon every Saturday morning? "

According to tcm.com, no, R27. They are showing 'The Living Corpse' followed by a Popeye cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2021 2:15 AM

When I was paying for it they were running Bomba and Tarzan on Saturdays. This was a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2021 2:17 AM

I've seen them play "Victim" and "Boys In The Band" several times.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2021 2:30 AM

I don’t think there’s much gay-themed classic film that’s really congruous with the idea of Pride. Celluloid Closet is pretty much it.

I don’t think round-the-clock airings of The Children’s Hour and Suddenly Last Summer do much to instill pride in gay audiences. Every overtly gay movie before the 90s was a commentary on how deviant we are, and every gay movie from 1990 thru like 2010 is about how we all inevitably die from AIDS or a gay bashing.

I like TCM for continuing to show me the type of content that let me explore being a junior fag in training as a kid — big Busby Berkeley dance numbers, Joan Crawford’s shoulders, Esther Williams swim sequences. That’s a better celebration of pride for me than dredging the pathetic contemporary representations of actual homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2021 2:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!