Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most undeserved best actress win

Which amongst the ladies in the poll do you think deserved the Oscar the least.

by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2021 12:38 PM

Jessica Tandy wasn't as bad as some of the others on this list. You are missing some of the other undeserving winners like Jen Lawrence, Halle Berry, Brie Larson, Moolia Roberts and Sally Field for the rural hick movie (her second win).

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2021 7:26 AM

Honourable mentions:

Joan Fontaine- Suspicion

Marlee Matlin - Children of a lesser God

Ingrid Bergman - Anastasia

Glenda Jackson - A touch of class

Katherine Hepburn - On Golden pond

Cher - Moonstruck

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2021 7:29 AM

I thought Jessica Tandy was wonderful.

Also, although I love Olivia Colman, and think she is a great actress in any role, I don’t think her role in The Favourite was deserving of a Best Actress nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2021 7:30 AM

Julia Roberts -- Erin Brockovich. What a joke!

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2021 7:31 AM

You Goop haters are all a bunch of BITTER BITCHES!

Yes, she’s annoying as ALL hell, but she’s great in “Shakespeare in Love.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2021 7:37 AM

R1 I disagree about Jessica Tandy. She was decent but nothing special. Michelle Pieffer on the other hand, Whew. Her effortless sexy breezy performance in The Fabulous Baker Boys was so incredibly hot, and I'm as gay as they come.

Also disagree about Brie Larson and Halle Berry. Brie is allegedly a bitch but that doesn't take away from her role as the terrified but pretending to be hopeful mother in room. Halle deserved to win for that "Make me feel good" scene alone.

Julia's oscar was Hollywood saying "Here's your reward for making us millions all these years"

I agree about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2021 7:38 AM

^^She looks like a female praying mantis about to devour her mate.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2021 7:38 AM

R5 Have you seen Elizabeth? There's a reason why Cate Blanchett is a two-time award winning actress who's touted as one of the greats while Goop is busy selling snake oil and pussy scented candles.

Fernanda Montenegro should've won over those two anyways, but I digress.

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2021 7:42 AM

Paltrow should stick to pseudo medical advice and vagina candles.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2021 7:49 AM

I would like to see Gwyneth Paltrow do one more film and really knock it out of the park, just for the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2021 7:55 AM

R10 = Blythe Danner

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2021 1:30 PM

The Iron Lady

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2021 1:34 PM

I agree with R5. Paltrow is a pill, but she’s also an outstanding actor. She was perfect in Shakespeare in Love.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2021 1:36 PM

That Iron Lady year was pretty painful. Weinstein was behind it, the film was terrible, the accent was wrong, and the performance was hammy. I was robbed!!!

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2021 1:39 PM

Viola at R14, you expected to "clean up" at all the awards that year, just like your character cleaned up white people's homes. Unfortunately for you, you ran into an evil bitch who inspired the "Thatcher, Thatcher, trophy snatcher" line.

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2021 1:45 PM

I rewstched it recently and was surprised how great Julia was in Erin Brockovich

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2021 5:30 PM

Helen Hunt was far unworthier of that Oscar than Gwynnie or anyone else on that list, frankly. Hunt to my mind is the most undeserving of any contemporary winner.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2021 5:39 PM

Grace Kelly stole Judy's Oscar by daring to dress up in shabby clothes in order to play a poor person.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2021 5:40 PM

R16, I never think of her as a great actress and I can't stand her, but I agree about JR's performance in Erin Brockovich. She delivered an old-fashioned movie star performance and filled up the screen with her presence and charisma. I found her completely believable in the role. I think she's probably the last of that breed of actresses who had genuine star quality.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. J Law was a Weinstein girl

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2021 5:42 PM

And to put it more in perspective, r18: Could Grace have done Judy's role? Of course not. Could Judy have done Grace's role? Yes....and she would have been more interesting in it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2021 5:49 PM

Jane Fonda in Coming Home.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2021 5:49 PM

Reese Witherspoon didn’t do anything extraordinary with her dull noble wife part in Walk the Line. It felt like she was getting a career award because she was turning thirty and was nearing the end of her “winsome female lead” shelf life. The irony being that Witherspoon is much better at playing sharp and steely Karens than she is girl next door.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2021 5:56 PM

I voted for Helen Hunt, who was the least impressive of the five nominated that year.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2021 6:23 PM

J-Law - miscast

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2021 1:57 PM

^ in an awful film!

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2021 1:59 PM

Helen Hunt's is not just a mediocre performance, but in a year with rich work nominated around her (Judi Dench for Mrs. Brown, Helena Bonham Carter for The Wings of the Dove, Julie Christie for Afterglow) and one fantastic performance not nominated (Pam Grier in Jackie Brown). It got my vote.

Paltrow shouldn't have won over Montenegro or Blanchett, but it's a much better performance than Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote]Glenda Jackson - A touch of class

I know I'm in the minority, but I think she's fantastic in this. Great comedic performance. Glenda could have been a first rate screwball comedienne.

Though I would have given the oscar to Marsha Mason for Cinderella Liberty.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2021 3:57 PM

I would have given Halle Berry hazardous duty pay for doing a love scene with someone as dusty looking as Billy Bob Thornton. So gross. But not an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2021 3:58 PM

Neither Helen Hunt nor Jack Nicholson deserved their wins for As Good As It Gets.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2021 3:58 PM

Yea, why did Jack and Helen win? She was charmless and he played himself

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2021 5:46 PM

Nicholson was an Academy favorite. They kept nominating him for his tired old schtick. Hunt, I think, benefited from also being a TV sitcom regular, winning multiple Emmys for "Mad About You", and also being the only American nominee that year.

Funnily enough I thought the actor from that movie who deserved to win the Oscar was Greg Kinnear, who was nominated but lost to Robin Williams who basically copied Judd Hirsch's "Ordinary People" performance.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2021 5:51 PM

OP you should remove Hepburn from the poll and add Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady, instead.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2021 6:43 PM

R33 I didn't add Streep because she got that Oscar as a compensation for her losing for The Devil wears Prada, Doubt and Julie and Julia.

Katherine Hepburn on the other hand only won because she had sympathy for the Spencer Tracy situation and she would've won the following year regardless.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2021 6:51 PM

Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. She owes that award to her wonder bra.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2021 6:55 PM

Tandy is incredible in DAISY, so I'm with those who say she does not belong on this list.

As far as "playing yourself" goes, that's not easy to do. Some might argue harder to do that than a role with a lot of adjustment work, like THE IRON LADY. So I like Helen Hunt's performance very much. I just don't love her chemistry with Jack, he's too old for her. I never believed their connection.

Hunt's performance feels like one of those NY theater-trained actor performances of great vulnerability and openness, naturalism, so forth. Really the opposite of a movie star performance like Cher or Julia Roberts, both of whom are great. Every once in a while the Academy goes for a performance like Hunt's, and I'm glad they do when they do. She makes it look easy, and it isn't.

I kind of love the diversity in the list of Best Actress winners. I used to pooh-pooh the movie stars on the list, but as I get older (I'm an actor), I really appreciate those kinds of performances. Meryl will always have a bit of showy-ness to her work, and it's great. It's who she is! But we don't want that from an actress like Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2021 7:21 PM

R19, I totally agree. Julia gives one of the greatest pure star turns in Erin Brockovich. No, it’s not a Streep-like performance where you marvel at the accent and the wigs and whatnot, but in nearly every moment, that performance announces with utter confidence “I am the biggest goddamn movie star on the planet,” which she really was.

And her Oscar speech is why people love the awards. It’s tacky, narcissistic, and a total blast (“I have a television,” calling the conductor stick-man).

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2021 7:28 PM

Emma Stone for La La Land

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2021 10:08 AM

That Silver Linings Book was just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2021 3:52 AM

I'm glad people are standing up for Julia in Erin Brockovich. Whenever it airs on AMC, I can't help but get sucked in again. She is so compelling to watch. She and Albert Finney were terrific together. It's a star performance but she works so well with the rest of the cast and doesn't try to dominate them (although the character may try to) but that only makes her performance that much better. Like the scenes where she goes to see Marg Helgenberger and you see the softer, less caustic side of Erin. Roberts lets Helgenberger have her moment but by doing that, you see the warmth from Erin and the bond she has with the people, which is integral to the movie.

I also like Gwenyth in Shakespeare in Love. Putting aside Harvey's bullying for awards and the hate for GP, I think she is wonderful in this movie. So charming.

Helen Hunt's performance is one that I don't remember all these years later so she'd be my choice.

Halle was good but Sissy Spacek deserved that Oscar in 2001 for In the Bedroom. That scene with Marisa Tomei is so powerful. Sissy unleashing her rage -- whew.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2021 4:01 AM

Mary Pickford in Coquette is the worst. The only reason it isn't getting more votes is because no one has seen it

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2021 4:03 AM

I think Gwyneth Paltrow was excellent in Shakespeare in Love.

I thought so then, and I think so now!

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2021 4:03 AM

Cam't believe these are the only options. Where is Jennifer Lawrence on this list?

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2021 4:14 AM

I love that Reese is considered in the top 5 least deserved. She’s a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2021 4:18 AM

Missing:

Elizabeth Taylor for Butterfield 8 (she herself admitted it).

Katharine Hepburn twice: Guess Who's Groveling for Oscar, On Golden Piss Pond....She can keep Lion in Winter,

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2021 4:20 AM

"I lost to a tracheotomy,"

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2021 4:20 AM

Liz was okay in Butterfield 8. Better than Pickford in Coquette

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2021 4:22 AM

I was always surprised when I would see Ginger Rogers referred to as an Oscar winner. I finally saw KITTY FOYLE a few years ago, and I didn’t think she was anything special at all, especially when you consider she was up against three hugely iconic performances…Hepburn in PHILADELPHIA STORY, Fontaine in REBECCA, and Bette in THE LETTER. Kate and Bette already had Oscars, and Joan was still pretty new to leading roles, so I guess Ginger won for her years of being a big box office dancing star? I don’t know anything about the fourth nominee, Martha Scott in OUR TOWN.

I do think Ginger is dynamite in one of my favorite old movies, STAGE DOOR.

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2021 4:26 AM

Reese won because she had had some hits in the past and the competition was very weak. Felicity Huffman was the only other possibility but she was a TV star.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2021 4:38 AM

Mine would be Sandra Bullock. I think she won because she’s America’s Sweetheart, supposedly incredibly easy to work with, and they didn’t want to give it to Gabourey Sibidie, who should have won that year

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2021 4:46 AM

Bullock kind of knew her win was controversial. She starts her speech with did I earn this or did I just wear you down?

(She had a good year that year too. She took over that movie with Betty White and Ryan Reynolds that Julia Roberts abandoned, produced it and turned it into a big money maker. And to quote Sally Field, they like her.)

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2021 4:51 AM

R51 Yeah, she immediately shouted out Gabourey when she won, she totally knew. I really think voters didn’t want to give the two big awards to both Monique and Gabourey. Monique’s win was fucking undeniable and to me the gold standard of what an Academy Award winning supporting role should be

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2021 4:58 AM

What is Sean Penn talking about with the neglecting an actress two years in a row stuff?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 27, 2021 5:13 AM

Brie Larsen was dull dull dull. Great role, imagine what someone like Emma Stone would have done with it. Brie defines the Non-Star (and a bitch to boot).

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2021 5:16 AM

Larson is oddly non-descript. Every time she is on an awards show or something I have to think or ask who's that?

by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2021 5:17 AM

Like Emma Stone is that much more talented than Brie Larson....

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2021 5:43 AM

LA Liz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2021 6:18 AM

R27 Helen Hunt didn't even give the best comedic performance by an actress that year. I think the Roberts My Best Friend's Wedding comedic performance was far superior. And the character actually had an arc. Hunt's character had zero arc.

by Anonymousreply 58June 27, 2021 6:34 AM

Hunt goes in and out or her accent in the film too and she and Nicholson aren't believable as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 59June 27, 2021 6:38 AM

R40 Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich is a grade A movie star turn. It was rewarded for its fabulousness. Yes Burstyn was incredible but she never made Hollywood 2 billion dollars by the age of 30 and commanded the screen like an old movie star.

by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2021 6:40 AM

Burstyn should have gone supporting. She'd have easily won there.

by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2021 6:52 AM

R61 over Marcia Gay Hardon? I completely agreee, Ellen would have won it all in Supporting

by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2021 9:12 AM

Juliette Binoche was the WTF nominee the year America's Sweetheart won for Erin Brockovich. Chocolat was a forgettable movie and neither Dench nor Binoche deserved a nomination.

Burstyn and Linney were unlucky to have been nominated in The Year of Julia. They could have won in a different year without a clear frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2021 9:29 AM

R63 totally agree, neither did anything special in Chocolat. The movie is good enough but not deserving all the acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2021 9:44 AM

Frances Mcdormand stole Carey Mulligan’s Oscar this year. Emma Stone (La la land) did the same with Isabelle Huppert (Elle). But she was robbed by Regina King two years later, Emma should have won supporting for her work in The Favourite.

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2021 9:51 AM

I know very few (if any) here have seen it but Coquette is abysmal. Pickford got a lifetime achievement award, basically. Jeanne Engels in The Letter was phenomenal and deserved that award.

by Anonymousreply 66June 27, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote] Frances Mcdormand stole Carey Mulligan’s Oscar this year.

You misspelled my name, sweetie. It's V-i-o-l-a D-a-v-i-s. Don't make me cry, that's all I ask of you.

by Anonymousreply 67June 27, 2021 9:56 AM

Chocolat is one of those movies you heard nothing but raves about for maybe two, three years, then you rarely ever heard it mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 68June 27, 2021 9:57 AM

I watched Chocolat a few years ago and it was decent but couldn't fathom how it got a Best Picture nomination

by Anonymousreply 69June 27, 2021 10:02 AM

I get why Julia Roberts won, but I was rooting for Laura Linney. YOU CAN COUNT ON ME is one of my all time favorites. I’m still pissed Mark Ruffalo wasn’t even nominated. He gave a fantastic, star making performance.

by Anonymousreply 70June 27, 2021 10:07 AM

I'm happy to see Tandy is currently in last place. She was wonderful in that film, and I love her acceptance speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 27, 2021 10:10 AM

Ridiculousness. Worst survey ever.

by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2021 10:30 AM

Judi Dench. Tics and mannerisms along with her posh accent. She arches her eyebrows and flares her nostrils and she get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2021 12:52 PM

R73, she has never won Best Actress at the Oscars though. I think she deserved it for "Notes on a Scandal" instead of the unbelievably overrated and over-praised Helen Mirren in "The Queen".

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2021 1:06 PM

I agree, Judi gave us the iconic Barbara Covett. She was also incredible in "Iris" but beaten by Halle Berry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2021 1:24 PM

Ginger Rogers. Rosalind Russell (who wasn't even nominated for His Gril Friday) should have won that year.

by Anonymousreply 76June 27, 2021 1:34 PM

^ *Girl

by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2021 1:36 PM

Bullock hands down. Paltrow is Shakespearean compared to her no pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2021 1:50 PM

R53 I think he was talking about then wife Robin not being nominated, but I forget what film of hers.

by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2021 1:59 PM

By decade:

Luise Rainer, should have been Carole Lombard "His Man Godfrey"

Ginger Rogers, should have been Joan Fontaine "Rebecca"

Grace Kelly, should have been Judy Garland "A Star Is Born"

Liz Taylor (1960) should have been Deborah Kerr "The Sundowners"

Jane Fonda (1978) should have been Jill Clayburgh or Ingrid Bergman

Sally Field (1984) should have been Judy Davis "A Passage To India"

Helen Hunt, should have been Judi Dench "Mrs Brown"

Sandra Bullock, should have been Gabi Sidibe "Precious"

Jennifer Lawrence, should have been Emmanuelle Rica "Amour"

Brie Larson, should have been Charlotte Rampling "45 Years" or Blanchett for "Carol"

by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2021 2:03 PM

JUDY

WAS

ROBBED

by Anonymousreply 81June 27, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote] Ginger Rogers, should have been Joan Fontaine "Rebecca"

I think not.

by Anonymousreply 82June 27, 2021 2:05 PM

R67 So sorry, Blackmeryl.

by Anonymousreply 83June 27, 2021 2:06 PM

"Miss Daisy" was a noble white person pic which meant it was Oscar bait, with Tandy having the Oscar bait role. It also helped that the film was very old fashioned, which also tends to do well with the Academy. Tandy was good in it, good enough not to belong on this list. OTOH Bullock plays the most grating sort of noble white person in Blind Side in what apparently is a far from true story and never should have been nominated.

Roberts was better than usual in Erin Brockovitch, which was an Oscar bait role/film not unlike Norma Rae (which the Academy really, really liked!).

Hunt is definitely among the least deserving---she gives the film a tv movie quality. She's basically supporting player material for anything longer than a half hour.

by Anonymousreply 84June 27, 2021 2:07 PM

Helen Hunt was good playing the sex surrogate in "The Sessions" but beaten by AnnE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 27, 2021 2:11 PM

Luise Rainer, The Good Earth. Excruciating to watch her overacting (and yellowface, so it’s really embarrassing now).

by Anonymousreply 86June 27, 2021 2:11 PM

Some of these were "deferred" awards - i.e. the actress deserved it for an earlier role and got this one instead.

The absolute queen of that in recent years would be Whoppi Goldberg for Ghost, when she was far more deserving for the Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 87June 27, 2021 2:14 PM

*Whoopi

by Anonymousreply 88June 27, 2021 2:14 PM

Grace Kelly is a favorite of mine….I really enjoyed the work she did with that pervert Hitchcock. Dial M For Murder.. Rear Window just a few notables…plus I think she’s beautiful..soft spoken..elegant…you know…...a little Princess.

by Anonymousreply 89June 27, 2021 2:15 PM

[quote]Bullock plays the most grating sort of noble white person in Blind Side in what apparently is a far from true story and never should have been nominated.

I think Bullock is a better actress than people here give her credit for, but Blind Side was just awful. They gave it to her that year because they liked her, not the performance. That happens a lot.

by Anonymousreply 90June 27, 2021 2:23 PM

[italic]Do the Right Thing[/italic] was racist sellout trash.

[italic]Driving Miss Daisy[/italic] deserved its Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 91June 27, 2021 2:37 PM

Do the Right Thing was a great if somewhat flawed film (too many ideas).

Driving Miss Daisy was old fashioned noble white person shit.

by Anonymousreply 92June 27, 2021 2:42 PM

No, it was not “noble white person shit.“ It was a beautiful film about the relationship between blacks and Jews.

by Anonymousreply 93June 27, 2021 2:49 PM

Why is this site so obsessed with women? You see a ton of threads like this about actresses, rarely about actors.

by Anonymousreply 94June 27, 2021 3:21 PM

R94, We wouldn't be caught dead with men. Rough, hairy beasts. Eight hands. And they … they all just want one thing from a girl.

by Anonymousreply 95June 27, 2021 3:29 PM

Don't get the hate for Helen Hunt. She was such a great actress she could make the role in "Twister" amazing.

by Anonymousreply 96June 27, 2021 5:57 PM

Hunt did nothing with a bland role in an okay movie, yet won the Oscar over 4 great performances.

Her role, in the hands of a more interesting actress such as Holly Hunter, may have at least been memorable

by Anonymousreply 97June 27, 2021 6:02 PM

Wasn't Holly Hunter offered the role in As Good As it Gets.

Maybe she was pregnant?

Ring a bell with anyone?

by Anonymousreply 98June 28, 2021 4:16 AM

r98 No

by Anonymousreply 99June 28, 2021 4:25 AM

According to IMDB trivia:

The role of Carol Connelly was initially offered to Holly Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 100June 28, 2021 4:30 AM

and Betty White was offered the part of Hunt's mother but turned it down because the dog get thrown down the trash door.

by Anonymousreply 101June 28, 2021 4:31 AM

r98 maybe you're thinking of another James L. Brooks movie - Broadcast News where Debra Winger was pregnant and Holly Hunter took her place? I think Holly might have been more memorable here.

by Anonymousreply 102June 28, 2021 4:37 AM

Yes r102 I remember that.

According to imdb though Hunter turned it down. Surprising if so. She had worked with Brooks before, it was a good part, and I checked her kids birthdates, she wasn't pregnant then.

by Anonymousreply 103June 28, 2021 4:40 AM

Agree Holly would have been more memorable. Would have made her character more damaged and neurotic and made the attraction to Nicholson more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 104June 28, 2021 4:41 AM

It always struck me as odd that Hepburn got an Oscar for taking care of a dying Spencer Tracey and Tracey who actually was dying didn't get one.

(and wasn't he still married to someone else? So people knew about and accepted their extramarital affair. Ingrid Bergman was run out of town for the same thing. Explain eldergays!!)

by Anonymousreply 105June 28, 2021 5:04 AM

Holly Hunter had a huge falling out with James Brooks, one week before filming started. Also, she wanted as much money as Jack Nicholson, the studio said "no".

by Anonymousreply 106June 28, 2021 7:47 AM

I love Holly Hunter, except for one role/movie, (and I might be in a small minority). Definitely belongs in this thread: Holly Hunter for The Piano.

Did Holly win the Oscar because she finally shut up? She's playing a pre-feminist young woman whose voice is so silenced by men that she acts like a mute....BUT she writes notes? Like a 12-year-old who is giving her parents the silent treatment. The she shows up in New Zealand. with a piano that is just SO important to her that she never mentioned it to her arranged-marriage husband..... and when the poor sap (who I felt sorry for) has no way to move it off the beach where it has been placed in the wet sand...... we are supposed to feel sympathy for her victimization by men. Oh, PUH-LEEZE!

THEN.....in the scene where he chops off her finger she goes into kabuki style over-acting (but still doesn't scream) with pain beyond words......I almost left. not sure why I stayed...... unless it was my hope to see tattooed Harvey Keitel without his clothes. and WHY hire a white american jew to play a Maori ? That decision would be SO FRIGGIN' CANCELLED if they did it now.

But I digress....

by Anonymousreply 107June 28, 2021 7:52 AM

I was shocked Holly showed tits and bush in The Piano. Siggy was their first choice but her agent turned it down on her behalf. When Siggy found out the agent got chopped!

by Anonymousreply 108June 28, 2021 8:54 AM

R107 Harvey was an adopted Maori honey. And he was a hot papa swine! Great nakedness

by Anonymousreply 109June 28, 2021 9:13 AM

I didn’t like Holly Hunter in The Piano either. There’s been excellent mute performances so that wasn’t the reason. I didn’t want to see this great, crazy hillbilly lady all butt naked. Bending over showing muff between legs? Fuckin gross. Then for years after I think Hunter believed she was sexual, a sexy woman. Long blonde hair, more sexual roles.

by Anonymousreply 110June 28, 2021 9:19 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow ownes this thread.

by Anonymousreply 111June 28, 2021 10:40 AM

R110 Gross? You are confusing gross with hot.

by Anonymousreply 112June 28, 2021 10:53 AM

Holly Hunter is just exhausting and annoying. She was perfect for that Cheerleader Murder movie but would have been awful for "As Good as it Gets". Hunter's usual tone would have made the attraction to Nicholson seem too needy and neurotic. "The Piano" was the kind of obvious allegory that gets tedious after a while. Total Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 113June 28, 2021 11:42 AM

R94 I made a thread like this about actors but no one cared. I think it's just that gay men in general revere women icons more than men. There's a reason almost all gay icons are women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 28, 2021 12:54 PM

Holly's Scottish accent in the film's V.O. is horrendous. And I love Holly -- just not in that film. Sigourney would have been great since her voice often got in her way too.

No Bronx accent for Holly either. She got greedy according to Brooks but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 115June 28, 2021 5:13 PM

Anna Paquin didn't deserve to win for The Piano, either. There's a reason why she hasn't had any great performances as an adult....

by Anonymousreply 116June 28, 2021 5:20 PM

AGAIG hasn’t aged well. Nicholson just won because he has that cool, hip factor that McDormand has that the voters can feel edgy about voting for. He really did nothing unique in this role. Agreed Hunter would’ve made it more memorable in the Hunt part. I think she won because voters were just being lazy and checked off her name too without seeing Afterglow, Mrs. Brown and Wings of the Dove as much. Hunt tries in some scenes, but the role is rather bland and you need someone more charismatic to pull it off. The film is horribly written and directed and runs out of what steam it has when the road trip begins. Pretty much killed James L Brooks film career.

by Anonymousreply 117June 28, 2021 8:32 PM

Meryl should have been cast in AGAIG. Ageism.

by Anonymousreply 118June 28, 2021 9:16 PM

If you wanted to go that much older, you might as well have asked Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 119June 28, 2021 9:33 PM

Meryl was only 47 and her real daughter was younger than the kid in that movie. Plus she actually has chemistry with Jack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 28, 2021 9:37 PM

[quote]Reese won because she had had some hits in the past and the competition was very weak. Felicity Huffman was the only other possibility but she was a TV star.

So was Helen Hunt, r49. But she won..

by Anonymousreply 121June 29, 2021 12:23 AM

Huffman in Transamerica was the same year as Brokeback Mountain. If lots of voters refused to watch the "gay cowboy" movie, they also likely avoided the "tranny road movie".

by Anonymousreply 122June 29, 2021 6:07 AM

R`122: Brokeback was classic Oscar bait. The "trannie" troll is off their meds and running amok.

by Anonymousreply 123June 29, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote] It always struck me as odd that Hepburn got an Oscar for taking care of a dying Spencer Tracey and Tracey who actually was dying didn't get one.

(and wasn't he still married to someone else? So people knew about and accepted their extramarital affair. Ingrid Bergman was run out of town for the same thing. Explain eldergays!!)

R105, morals had undergone an enormous sea change between 1949 and 1967. Plus Tracy and Hepburn were discreet about it. Few people outside of Hollywood knew. And of course, nowadays many say that their supposed affair was fake to throw people off the fact that both of them were gay. Who knows?

Ingrid openly carried on with Roberto Rossellini while still married to her husband. Didn’t sit well with a conservative American film audience.

by Anonymousreply 124July 22, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote]It always struck me as odd that Hepburn got an Oscar for taking care of a dying Spencer Tracey and Tracey who actually was dying didn't get one. (and wasn't he still married to someone else? So people knew about and accepted their extramarital affair. Ingrid Bergman was run out of town for the same thing. Explain eldergays!!)

[R105], morals had undergone an enormous sea change between 1949 and 1967. Plus Tracy and Hepburn were discreet about it. Few people outside of Hollywood knew. And of course, nowadays many say that their supposed affair was fake to throw people off the fact that both of them were gay. Who knows?

Ingrid openly carried on with Roberto Rossellini while still married to her husband. Didn’t sit well with a conservative American film audience

by Anonymousreply 125July 22, 2021 12:41 PM

Liza Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 126July 23, 2021 7:16 PM

Halle Berry

by Anonymousreply 127July 23, 2021 9:40 PM

R126, that's absurd. That was Liza's. finest hour, and she absolutely deserved it, taking nothing away from all her fellow nominees in an extremely strong year for best actress nominees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2021 10:36 PM

What makes R126's claim even more absurd is to say Minnelli was the least deserved win ever, when you have Helen Hunt so clearly the winner, and about 10 other actresses behind Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2021 10:51 PM

Liza Minnelli was ok. But in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 130July 25, 2021 1:40 AM

Liza in Cabaret was iconic

by Anonymousreply 131July 25, 2021 7:50 AM

OP, as far as I'm concerned none of these deserved an Oscar for those performances.

by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2021 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!