Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chris Bertish Sets Sail on a 2 Month Hydrofoil Journey to Hawaii

Good luck Chris!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2021 8:47 PM

Scroll down to see the tracking map

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2021 11:13 PM

Hope he drowns.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2021 11:20 PM

Go, Chris! He seems like he's got a more comprehensive plan going on then Kayak Cyrill. May the winds blow favorably upon your journey abroad!

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2021 11:21 PM

Kayak Cyril was so underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2021 11:28 PM

Cyril is hotter, but dumber.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2021 11:30 PM

I would never, but it's nice that this sort of thing still haooens (provided it's not a complete stunt for attention). I hope DL keeps up with the story.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] Cyril is hotter, but dumber.

Which truly is the best combination in a man.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2021 11:31 PM

Really? I think Chris is hotter. Cyril looks like he's hiding a weak chin and other tragedy underneath that facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2021 11:46 PM

Chris looks dirty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2021 11:49 PM

Dirty hot, r9. And more importantly, smart and more likely to make it.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2021 11:53 PM

I hope he is picked apart by birds, led by lesbian seagull.

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2021 2:38 AM

No pun intended, but I am pretty plucked that Lesbian Seagull got hauled back.

Yeah, I do get that the sponsors wanted to retrieve whatever they could out of it, but still, that would have been a cool and cozy way to end this thing.

We love you Lesbian Seagull!

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2021 6:37 AM

Birds are nothing to this guy, he talks about some giant squid or whale getting caught in some lines and starting to drag down his boat during a storm at night when he was paddling across the Atlantic. I don't think he does sea-sickness. He's a less delicate flower than Cyrill.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2021 6:40 AM

um, wtf r13? You sound stoned

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2021 8:57 AM

I'm just repeating what he said in The Surfer interview--when he was paddling across the Atlantic, some gigantic sea creatures got caught in the ropes or nets connected to his boat and started pulling it under during a storm. He had to go out on deck during a storm to cut it loose without falling into the water himself.

Cyrill, the kayaker, who have up last week was suffering from sea sickness. Chris, the hydrofoiler, has survived much rougher waters without sickness being an issue.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2021 10:15 AM

Chris has the body for Data Lounge stardom.

But possibly, quite possibly, not the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2021 12:17 PM

Was his boat really called Lesbian Seagull? Or is this some DL inside joke?

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2021 1:07 PM

Inside joke from the kayaker's thread r17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2021 4:19 PM

He's getting near Hearst's Castle, so near the end of Big Sur. The weather has been gorgeous. He's supposed update a Captain's log once a week, so we'll see if any interesting Seinfeld episodes are on.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2021 1:33 AM

ive heard of somewhat experienced sailors who build a boat, sail it to Hawaii, and sell it there because they're done....the water and weather out at sea can be that terrifying. cant imagine doing that in a kayak

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2021 1:53 AM

A guy in 1987 kayaked to Hawaii. The French kayak guy gave up after a week, most of which he spent in his cabin rolling around in big waves.

Chris Bertish isn't kayaking, though he did paddleboard across the Atlantic, he's hydrofoiling, so essentially windsurfingbwith the hydrofoil lifting his craft above water to reduce drag when things get going.

The hydrofoil craft about the size of a kayak though and there are some big waves out there. This guy, however, has surfed 60-foot waves.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2021 2:20 AM

I’m finally slogging through the last season of “Game of Thrones,” which makes me wonder:

Could Daenerys‘ dragons make it from California to Hawaii?

They seem to have unlimited amounts of fire, but what about wing strength?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2021 7:05 AM

There are some birds that seem to be able to go thousands of miles without setting down. That said, Hawaii has a bunch of endangered species because so few animals found the place and those that did evolved and specialized without competition.

So, basically, can dragons float not sleep when aloft? I'd assume since they can fly, they can float.

Meanwhile, hydrofoil guy looks like he's heading for Morro Bay, so maybe giving up? Or getting something fixed? It's kind of the first real harbor after Monterey Bay, the Big Sur coastline has beaches, but it's pretty rough.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2021 11:08 PM

Welll, the hydrofoil's aground in Morro Bay. No explanation. So, Chris got farther, but spent even less time on ocean water than Cyril.

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2021 7:44 AM

Electronics failure and water was getting into the craft.

Jeez. Who would have thunk that 2 people trying to make similar journeys within weeks of each other would both fail in their attempt.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2021 12:45 AM

I would not undertake public exploits unless I was very good at them. But that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2021 4:12 AM

Bertish did paddleboard across the Atlantic, so he has a track record, but he's got a FB post up that was kind of a better safe than sorry as far as getting too far out with faulty equipment.

At least he didn't require the Coast Guard to rescue him. So, there's that . . .

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2021 5:44 AM

i read his FB page and he did mention that the CG did help him and cut down his time to shore by 4 hours.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2021 7:01 AM

Okay, then there's not that . . .

Anyone else doing anything? Preferably for more than a week?

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2021 7:53 AM

I read something earlier today saying he was going to try again within the month.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2021 7:54 AM

Maybe we should start a thread on the next guy once he gets halfway to his destination?

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2021 8:42 AM

He should try swimming across next.

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 9:58 PM

Where is Chris B now? I can't find a tracker.

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2021 8:35 PM

Oh these attention seekers. So what if he does, so what if he fails. I don't see the achievement here. Go swim across. Or send food parcels for Darfur Orphan. Then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2021 8:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!