Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brexit Brits Freak Out at ‘Senile’ Biden After He Wades Into Boris Johnson’s Sausage War

Days after the U.S. election, an old clip of Joe Biden went viral in the United Kingdom as people pondered what the end of the Trump era would mean for relations between Britain and America. “Mr. Biden, a quick word for the BBC,” a plummy voiced reporter could be heard saying. “The BBC?” Biden asked, before responding with a cheeky smile: “I’m Irish.”

To most viewers in Britain, it was seen as what it was—Biden’s jokey way of brushing off a reporter that he couldn’t be bothered talking to. But to the pro-Brexit crowd, many of whom had sworn allegiance to Donald Trump, it was seen as a grave national insult, and the words of an incoming president who had little intention of putting Britain above other allies.

On Thursday, the first day of the G7 summit in England where Biden is making his first foreign trip as president, their worst fears were realized. The Times of London reported that Biden ordered his top diplomats to dress down British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for “inflaming” tensions in Northern Ireland over his post-Brexit trading demands.

According to the report, Yael Lempert, America’s most important diplomat in Britain, issued a formal diplomatic reprimand to one of Johnson’s ministers, in which she expressed Biden’s personal “great concern” over the prime minister’s trade threats. Notes from the meeting said Lempert “slowly and gravely read her instructions [from Biden] aloud.”

The disagreement is a technical one, but one that has dominated press coverage of run-up to the G7 summit in because of its effect on a key component of the artery-pummelling British breakfast: Sausages.

Britain and the EU are finding it impossible to agree on how to implement trade rules for goods crossing from the British mainland to Northern Ireland. If the stalemate continues to next month, it could become illegal for English sausages to enter Northern Ireland, where EU trading rules remain in force to prevent the creation of a hard Irish border.

EU food safety rules don’t allow chilled meat products to come into its market from non-members, like the U.K., but Johnson has threatened to ignore those rules and continue importing English meat tubes. That, the EU argues, could undermine the carefully balanced Brexit agreements designed to protect peace in Northern Ireland—and it appears that Biden has sided with Ireland and the EU against Johnson and Britain.

Biden’s apparent decision to wade into what has become known as The Sausage War has infuriated some Brexit-loving Brits.

An unnamed lawmaker from Johnson’s Conservative party regurgitated Trumpist attacks on Biden on Thursday, telling Politico: “America should remember who their allies are... Unfortunately [Biden is] so senile that he probably won’t remember what we tell him anyway. Unless an aide is listening I'm not sure he’s going to remember for very long.”

Nigel Farage, the man who previously spearheaded the Brexit movement but is now largely reduced to hawking competitively priced Cameo videos to celebrate the birthdays of middle-aged white British men, wrote on Twitter: “We now have an anti-British U.S. President in the White House. I hope all those who condemned Trump see their stupidity.”

Johnson was one of the few world leaders who boasted a good relationship with Trump who admired the PM’s success in leading the Brexit campaign in 2016.

The White House tried to calm the row on Thursday hours ahead of an expected bilateral meeting between Johnson and Biden.

An unnamed senior Biden administration official reportedly said the private discussion about Northern Ireland reported by the Times “wasn’t directed by the President,” and denied that it was a “heightened” talk. “As with any ally we have diplomatic conversations about areas where we have concern at many levels,” the anonymous official told Politico.

There was also a less significant blip to the Johnson/Biden meeting on Thursday, when plans to host the talks on the iconic St Michael’s Mount island were, predictably, abandoned due to rubbish weather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2021 12:04 AM

Farage? What log did he crawl out from under?

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 9:23 PM

Good for Joe!

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 9:27 PM

For those who may not understand what the big deal is: many goods from Britain, such as sausages, but also various agricultural products, flowers, and even service animals cannot enter the Northern Ireland anymore because there is no border between the North and the Republic.

I personally think the EU is in the wrong here. They do not seem to find that countless boatloads of migrants enter the EU everyday, but god forbid a few sausages enter Ireland from the North (which would never happen).

The EU is just trying to fuck over the UK and in the process they are putting at risk the fragile peace here in NI.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 10:26 PM

They misunderstood non-senile POTUS Biden's "cheeky" retort. "I'm Irish" is a double entendre and in fact a reference to his son's and his own immense Irish cocks. So he doesn't need to hear about "BBC".

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2021 12:07 AM

They have a point.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2021 12:10 AM

Republic of Ireland and the EU must join together to sign bilateral accords with UK, thus Northern Ireland, that apply only to that open border. It will have to be an exception. The can't just overlook the open border because it will be used for everything, not just a few sausages. And the traffic will go both ways.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote] For those who may not understand what the big deal is: many goods from Britain, such as sausages, but also various agricultural products, flowers, and even service animals cannot enter the Northern Ireland anymore because there is no border between the North and the Republic. I personally think the EU is in the wrong here. They do not seem to find that countless boatloads of migrants enter the EU everyday, but god forbid a few sausages enter Ireland from the North (which would never happen). The EU is just trying to fuck over the UK and in the process they are putting at risk the fragile peace here in NI.

Oh, please, ya Brexiteer. All of you who voted leave should have looked more carefully at the consequences and the unresolved challenges such as the Ireland/Northern Ireland border before you cast your vote. This has nothing to do with the "boatloads of migrants" entering the UK.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2021 12:21 AM

Seriously, any Brexiteer with a brain is having some serious buyers remorse. Use critical thinking skills the next time right wing loons come peddling Russian propaganda. You have damaged your economy (which might recover in a few decades) and international prestige (which will continue to decline.) Hail Britannia!

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] This has nothing to do with the "boatloads of migrants" entering the UK.

But it's always nice to use them as scapegoats!

Dumb racists don't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2021 12:27 AM

r9 the migrants are probably the biggest issue facing Europe today. It cannot be stressed enough how they are impacting life in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2021 12:35 AM

Tempest in a tiny teapot

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2021 12:37 AM

Bangergate.

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2021 12:52 AM

Fake offense is the best offense.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2021 1:05 AM

You’ll notice the Conservative MP quoted by Politico did so anonymously because while it might feel good to get of a cheap shot or two, Boris and his boys will jump through whatever hoops Biden tells him to jump through.

What choice does Boris have, tell Biden to take his trade deal and go home? Britain cannot survive in its current form without American trade and unless Boris wants to be the PM who loses Scotland he’ll smile and do as he’s told.

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2021 1:06 AM

I feel bad for Britain. Foreign money from American billionaires and others funded the push for the brexit vote and England will pay a heavy price for voting leave. Soon you will have GMO's and fraken food from Bill Gates flooding your stores.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2021 1:12 AM

Errr, vaccination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2021 1:21 AM

Jabs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2021 1:23 AM

Ah, June of 2016... the world seemed so optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2021 1:26 AM

R7 What are you talking about? The majority of NI voted to remain? Why so people even post when they so not know basic facts.

The EU was fine with UK products before the UK left the EU. Nothing major has changed. And there is no reason why the EU should suspect that NI will be used as a backdoor into the EU markets via NI. That makes no sense and the EU knows it.

The EU is trying to punish the UK and by doing so they are taking it out on NI who voted to remain. And as a result they are gambling on the stability of NI. And for zero gain.

by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2021 11:45 AM

The Brits called it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2021 12:01 PM

[quote] The EU is trying to punish the UK

And they SHOULD be punished.

For being stupid, short-sighted, xenophobic, and racist.

They should be punished SEVERELY.

Make the British pay.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2021 4:19 PM

"I personally think the EU is in the wrong here."

How is the EU wrong when the previous Tory Government (T May) agreed to it?

Perfidious Albion thought they could fudge it or ignore it and are now getting slapped for trying.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]For being stupid, short-sighted, xenophobic, and racist.

They have every right to be pissed at mass immigration. The people coming in don't share their values, don't assimilate and want endless benefits. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2021 5:43 PM

It’s interesting that Brexidiots and Deplorables are always “outraged” and “freaking out”. Someone needs to give each one of them a big bottle of Valium to help their weak nerves.

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2021 8:23 PM

Joe is not senile, but OP is a total asshole

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2021 8:26 PM

Biden is funny and sharp. Not senile at all

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2021 8:35 PM

[Quote] They have every right to be pissed at mass immigration. The people coming in don't share their values, don't assimilate and want endless benefits. Fuck 'em.

But the Brits are fine with immigrants doing all the shit work

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote] What are you talking about? The majority of NI voted to remain? Why so people even post when they so not know basic facts.

I'm well aware, love. How does my statement, "All of you who voted leave should have looked more carefully at the consequences and the unresolved challenges such as the Ireland/Northern Ireland border before you cast your vote," have anything to do with the way NI voted? Don't be a strawman arguer.

[quote] And there is no reason why the EU should suspect that NI will be used as a backdoor into the EU markets via NI. That makes no sense and the EU knows it.

If you don't think people will (continue) to exploit the soft border between NI and Ireland, you're pretty naïve.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2021 8:38 PM

[quote] They have every right to be pissed at mass immigration. The people coming in don't share their values, don't assimilate and want endless benefits. Fuck 'em.

Have you met them all personally, r23, or are you just generally a xenophobe?

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2021 8:40 PM

We should just give the North back. It solves the trade issue and if Ireland wants to subsidise 2 million armed lunatics half of whom would like nothing more than to march on Dublin by all means let them.

by Anonymousreply 30June 11, 2021 8:43 PM

Is Joe Biden a DLer ??? Clearly he was making fun DLs fascination with BBC = Big Black Cock.

by Anonymousreply 31June 11, 2021 8:50 PM

R22, not even the previous government, but *this* government. It was Boris Johnson who negotiated and signed the Northern Ireland Protocol.

by Anonymousreply 32June 11, 2021 8:59 PM

The idiots who voted for Brexit are the brain dead ones.

by Anonymousreply 33June 11, 2021 8:59 PM

Miserable little Island dwellers.

by Anonymousreply 34June 11, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]Foreign money from American billionaires and others funded the push for the brexit vote

Like the Australian-born, British-resident American billionaire Rupert Murdoch, I suppose.

I don't feel that bad for the British. They had a clear up or down majority vote and they fucked it up. Donald Trump lost the popular vote in every election he's been in, the Senate is a relic of the 1700s that represents land, and the House is always gerrymandered by themselves gerrymandered state legislatures to overrepresent rural whites. If the US were able to just have a nationwide plebiscite on the issues of the day we'd look like a Nordic democracy (all major gun control ideas, for example, have upwards of 70% approval).

But instead we're stereotyped as a nation of idiot hillbillies--by ourselves as much as the rest of the world--because few people grasp the basic truth that the rules of a political system determine its outcomes.

by Anonymousreply 35June 11, 2021 9:03 PM

so where are the NI getting their sausages?

by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2021 9:11 PM

Dammit. This thread has me craving bangers and mash.

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2021 9:13 PM

R36 Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2021 9:22 PM

R28 How? By smuggling sausages?!?

by Anonymousreply 39June 11, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] How? By smuggling sausages?!?

By smuggling anything! For example, there's virtually no security checks on the Stena from Cairnryan to Belfast and even less on the train from Belfast to Dublin - and that's public transportation. If it's that easy to smuggle whatever you want via public transportation, it's even easier to smuggle via private means.

by Anonymousreply 40June 11, 2021 10:10 PM

Biden's really mad at Stasi Angela for giving Putin so much leverage with North Stream 2.

by Anonymousreply 41June 11, 2021 10:24 PM

R40 So we are to believe the UK Government will be sending products en mass to NI in order to sell them in the EU?

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote] So we are to believe the UK Government will be sending products en mass to NI in order to sell them in the EU?

I mean, they could. I wouldn't put anything past Borris the Butcher. I was referencing nefarious people in general, though, with my point being Brexiteers should have thought through that soft border a little more before casting their vote.

by Anonymousreply 43June 11, 2021 10:33 PM

I don't think he's senile, but there is something not quite right.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2021 12:42 PM

He has a stammer r44. He's learnt to control it, but his speech can still sound slurry.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2021 12:46 PM

I prefer German sausage..personally speaking of course

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2021 12:56 PM

[quote] I don't think he's senile, but there is something not quite right.

Well setting aside Op's hypothesis there is the matter of Joe's skull having been opened on two separate occasions to scoop out portions of its contents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2021 1:30 PM

WTF?!?

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2021 1:36 PM

The hyperbole! I think these summits are ceremonial more than anything and the Bidens are doing great out there.

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2021 1:36 PM

The US should stay out of this. But Biden is carrying over Obama’s hatred of the UK. So he has to drag the US into the middle of it.

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2021 1:38 PM

yes, it's well known that he's had brain surgeries. so what?

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote]But Biden is carrying over Obama’s hatred of the UK.

Of all the childishly foolish things I've ever read or heard by deranged alt-righters, this really is one of the most stupid. Hatred of the UK? Do you really think Obama or Biden would actually base the US's foreign policy or strategy on their subjective feeling for an entire country, or do you even think it's possible for intelligent politicians to actually base their policies/strategies on anything so absurd? I can only think of one recent president whose idea of politics was similar to this, and he certainly was no Democrat (and, I'd contend, he wasn't even a real Republican).

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2021 2:25 PM

it was high time other countries paid more.

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote] Of all the childishly foolish things I've ever read or heard by deranged alt-righters, this really is one of the most stupid. Hatred of the UK?

It’s well documented. But you go on licking the shitter of these two dopes just because they have a “D” next to their name.

by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2021 2:35 PM

Enough with the “grave concern,” Biden. Do something to finally punish the Brits for their protectionist trade practices.

At the beginning of the year a law went into effect in the UK that forced any seller outside the UK to collect VAT for the UK and pay it to the UK government. This is as a practical matter impossible for most US sellers.

Meanwhile UK goods just sail into the USA with no requirements or charges.

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote] Meanwhile UK goods just sail into the USA with no requirements or charges.

To be fair, what UK goods do you really want? The US is trying to help them because nobody wants their stuff.

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2021 3:41 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 12, 2021 4:03 PM

did you see the interview with Putin? I just saw a little and his face is so full of fillers, you can barely see his eyes! scary!

by Anonymousreply 59June 12, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote] To be fair, what UK goods do you really want? The US is trying to help them because nobody wants their stuff.

I buy Yorkshire Gold, candied peel, (and sometimes an Irn-Bru) imported from the UK. You can't get anything like these that are made in the US.

by Anonymousreply 60June 12, 2021 4:10 PM

R60 you’re only the second person I’ve heard of that eats candied peel. The first was a 90 year old woman who I delivered papers to when I was 12. She gave it to me at Christmas instead of cash like all the other people gave (and some gave money *and* fancy chocolates. Imagine you’re a 12 year old gayling. Which would you rather have? Belgian chocolates or candied peel handed to you in a recycled margarine tub?)

by Anonymousreply 61June 12, 2021 4:53 PM

[quote] you’re only the second person I’ve heard of that eats candied peel. The first was a 90 year old woman who I delivered papers to when I was 12. She gave it to me at Christmas instead of cash like all the other people gave (and some gave money *and* fancy chocolates. Imagine you’re a 12 year old gayling. Which would you rather have? Belgian chocolates or candied peel handed to you in a recycled margarine tub?)

I only get it around Christmas time for baking. Many English Christmas recipes call for it, and we don't really have it in the US. The home-made kind isn't the same as the store stuff from the UK, so I just buy it imported.

And I'd definitely prefer the Belgian chocolates as well!

by Anonymousreply 62June 12, 2021 4:59 PM

Mighty Joe is bringing back America!! America loves him! Finally we are proud of our President.

by Anonymousreply 63June 12, 2021 5:08 PM

[R61] [R62]

Girls…..we are discussing politics here..not Christmas cookies and chocolates…but I do appreciate the recipe info.

by Anonymousreply 64June 12, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote] Girls…..we are discussing politics here..not Christmas cookies and chocolates

Obviously, you’ve never seen the Andy Griffith episode where high level Soviet talks are held at the Taylor house and Aunt Bee’s cooking eases tensions.

It was the episode that demonstrated how cheap that show was. In one scene, Aunt Bee gets up in the middle of the night to fix the men a midnight snack. She’s wearing a robe and nightgown and for shoes she’s wearing her Sunday pumps. Couldn’t even afford to buy her a pair of slippers. No wonder Frances Bavier was so cranky.

by Anonymousreply 65June 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Biden will do and say as he sees fit, but c’mon: his quip was just a little joke. Fuck the Brexit Brits who, exactly like trumpist trash, want nothing more than to feel that they’ve been insulted.

by Anonymousreply 66June 12, 2021 5:17 PM

The problem with Biden is that Obama already made a stupid Irish joke (O’Bama) when he was over there. There’s nothing worse than US Presidents making jokes about the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2021 5:20 PM

R57, a lot of Americans like British fashion, and there are a lot of small British businesses on sites like Etsy selling clothing and other fashion. There’s also a market for retro looking new clothes and shoes, or vintage clothes from England, they’re all small businesses. And there’s companies like Doc Martens and Solovair. DM still manufactures some of their higher end shoes in England, the cheaper ones are made in China. Solovair and many other shoe companies still manufacture in England. Now that the cheaper Docs have gone down in quality, a lot of people have switched to Solovair, which are higher quality and look the same or better. Solovair is made in the same factory as Docs.

Fashionable American women sometimes buy British handbags and other higher end fashion items.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2021 5:28 PM

It says something that of the things R60 buys from Britain, two are made from raw products not produced on the island and the other is from Scotland, which may soon leave.

by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2021 5:29 PM

R68, I did not know about this brand, thank you for the info. I will look into it.

Our family has bought Dr martens shoes for decades and the quality has definitely gone down. We stopped buying.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote] did you see the interview with Putin? I just saw a little and his face is so full of fillers, you can barely see his eyes! scary!

Well, to be fair...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2021 4:50 PM

R58: Cry harder, you Russian bitch.

by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2021 5:03 PM

Joe's facelift doesn't bother me. He doesn't look overly stretched like Sylvester Stallone. His hair transplants are awful, though. He needs a touch up . . . and he needs to cut it shorter in the back. He's leaps and bounds ahead of the orange fuckwit in looks and every other way, but he still could use some freshening up on top.

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2021 5:37 PM

Biden's plastic surgery isn't that distracting like Putin's. Maybe I'm used to seeing Biden but every time I see Putin, all I see are those fillers. I wonder if he has the doctors meet with accidents if he doesn't like the outcome of those procedures?

by Anonymousreply 74June 13, 2021 5:50 PM

R70, check out “monkey boots” on the Solovair website for men and women. They’re like dress leather basketball shoes. And they have tassel loafers for men and women in colors. And they have boots similar in appearance to Docs but better leather and better construction.

If you’re looking for dress shoes, they have a lot of brogues and brogue boots that are really dressy, beautiful shoes and boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2021 12:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!