Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people automatically assume those with PhDs are ‘very bright’ and ‘well adjusted’?

While they are more educated and often ‘informed’, I wouldn’t necessarily say they are cream of the crop or that impressive. Universities and institutes are run no differently from corporations, where many fuck their way to the top (literally or metaphorically) or know how to game the system.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 10:28 PM

As a person with a PhD I can tell you we are bright and well adjusted. You lessor educated people are just too stupid to understand why.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 7:02 PM

I would assume otherwise. My uncle has a PhD from M. I. T. with social skill issues.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 7:02 PM

I never met anyone who got a PhD purely because of who they "fucked"

Republicans go after highly educated people because they know that educated people are more likely to be liberal. When you belong to a political party full of people who think homosexuality can be cured through prayer, of course you will claim that "book larnin" is bad

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 7:06 PM

I've never heard anyone claim having a PhD makes you well adjusted. Many very capable academics have poor social skills.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 7:06 PM

Have you seen the cretins that colleges these days are turning out? Colleges will let anyone & everyone in. as long as you’re willing to pay the hyper-inflated tuition rates, the universities don’t care if you can read or spell. In fact, as a small business owner, I always side-eye the candidates with resumes that list advanced degrees. They’re likely in debt up to their eyeballs, gullible AF & they definitely don’t understand the concept of ROI.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 8:11 PM

I once tried to have a conversation with a Ph.D. who talked in word salads. She was always using big obscure words that didn't really fit the sentence. I guess she thought it would impress people. She always sounded stupid. She was a professor of music at Chico State.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 10:09 PM

Just because someone has a degree or degreeS, especially degree collectors, (aka professional students) doesn't make them smart. It means they're good at taking classes, test and/or writing papers. They can regurgitate the content out in the acceptable format. That's it. Doesn't mean they really even understand it. Or remember it.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 10:12 PM

Yes, Ph.D holders are human, and vary in social skills. This is a pointless thread.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!