Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Wokeness" has always existed.

It really started to gain prominence in the 1960s. It's just louder now because of social media.

by Anonymousreply 3106/10/2021

Wokeness is what caused Stonewall and the entire gay rights movement.

by Anonymousreply 106/10/2021

Wokeness is how Norman Lear ruined television with his godless communist propaganda. At least he gave Alan Thicke work.

by Anonymousreply 206/10/2021

A BLATANT example of wokeness is The Museum of Natural History caving into the woke MOB by having the statue of Teddy Roosevelt removed because they were offended by it.

by Anonymousreply 306/10/2021

If Teddy Roosevelt is canceled, does that mean teddy bears are, too?

by Anonymousreply 406/10/2021

Yes, even the most extreme forms of political correctness have existed for quite awhile. Social media just made it more in your face.

by Anonymousreply 506/10/2021

Disney contributed to the problem by casting Helen Reddy in [italic]Pete's Dragon[/italic] over Anita Bryant. Nora was supposed to be straight, right?

by Anonymousreply 606/10/2021

Yes social media certainly amplified it but the overreaction and sanctimonious nature of it is now a real problem.

by Anonymousreply 706/10/2021

In the '90s, it was arguments about PC vs Un-PC. Same crap. You couldn't turn on the radio or TV without hearing some version of conservative whining about it.

by Anonymousreply 806/10/2021

The day Trump became president, I attended a screening of [italic]Blazing Saddles[/italic] in Los Angeles with Mel Brooks in attendance. Now that movie needs a fucking warning label as if an R-rating isn't enough to scare off prudes and literal-minded nitwits who can't tell fact from fiction.

by Anonymousreply 906/10/2021

Wokeness has always existed but the real question is when will the Democrats denounce it? They barely won the House because of defund the police rhetoric. It's affecting companies and Hollywood and all of its award shows. Even some blue states are fighting back against critical race theory.

by Anonymousreply 1006/10/2021

[quote]the overreaction and sanctimonious nature of it is now a real problem.

A problem for whom? Cite names, show your work.

by Anonymousreply 1106/10/2021

Is this place just right-wing central now?

by Anonymousreply 1206/10/2021

[quote] Wokeness has always existed but the real question is when will the Democrats denounce it? They

Your they is very telling.

by Anonymousreply 1306/10/2021

Yes Social Media has made it more predominate (particularly among younger people) but what has also changed is corporations and the media increasingly conflate the social media mobs (on both sides) as being reflective of real world opinions.

by Anonymousreply 1406/10/2021

Nice catch R13.

The GOP infiltration here is so obvious. Never mind the obvious conservative tilt to every fucking thing. I've seen comment sections on Fox News social media that are more moderate than this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1506/10/2021

Conservatives must live a charmed life where this has been their #1 concern in life for the last 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 1606/10/2021

[quote]Yes Social Media has made it more predominate

Predominant.

Predominant.

Predominant.

Predominant.

Predominant.

Predominant.

by Anonymousreply 1706/10/2021

I don't think I'll ever be able to refer to a nonbinary person as "they" without laughing.

by Anonymousreply 1806/10/2021

^ The nonbinary thing is a bridge too far. I can't even pretend anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1906/10/2021

I'm on a gay website but here are all of my RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS

by Anonymousreply 2006/10/2021

It's called fairness OP.

by Anonymousreply 2106/10/2021

[quote]Wokeness is what caused Stonewall and the entire gay rights movement.

Which is why I never understand all of the anti-woke threads on here. The very fact that this place exists and that we can mouth off about Golden Girls reruns and how someone used to use baseball bats as dildos when they were a teen is because someone, somewhere was woke.

by Anonymousreply 2206/10/2021

Wokeness is a shortcut for simpletons who can't think in anything other than black and white. It's the left's equivalent to evangelicals. Both suck.

by Anonymousreply 2306/10/2021

Who started calling it "wokeness"? Who first used the word "woke" to describe the left?

by Anonymousreply 2406/10/2021

[quote] It's the left's equivalent to evangelicals.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Show us on the doll where "the left" hurt you.

Is "the left" with us right now? In this room?

Can you see them?

by Anonymousreply 2506/10/2021

R24, "woke" started out as African American slang.

You can google this, you know.

by Anonymousreply 2606/10/2021

R23 is engaging in bothsidesism.

If anything, wokeness doesn’t go far enough.

by Anonymousreply 2706/10/2021

[quote][R23] is engaging in bothsidesism.

In the laziest possible way.

"_____ is _____ equivalent of _____"

This is incredibly lazy trolling.

by Anonymousreply 2806/10/2021

You are not woke unless you stick your cisdick in my transgina.

by Anonymousreply 2906/10/2021

I thought r29 et al was red tagged

by Anonymousreply 3006/10/2021

Wokeness is not the same thing as ensuring all groups have equal rights and aren’t discriminated against, etc. It goes much further than that, and is a real problem. It’s built upon misunderstandings, exaggerations, hypersensitivity, humorlessness, and ignorance.

Please don’t conflate the gay rights movement, which started decades ago, with the newer concept of wokeness and all the insanity it entails.

by Anonymousreply 3106/10/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!