Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking Middle Aged!

I just scrolled through some selfies of the past few years, and I so look my age (43).

That's not a surprise, but it's still jarring, especially because I have spent a year looking at myself on Zoom—more than I ever would otherwise—and for some reason, I look significantly younger on Zoom than in real life.

My "good angle" is looking straight on; from other angles, I look quite different and at times quite haggard...so seeing myself as I really look was a funny reality check.

Has anyone here had the same reaction to becoming used to your Zoom face versus seeing it in other contexts?

And how have you handled getting older? I find it a little alienating because I don't really look how I am used to seeing myself and therefore how I imagine myself to look, but I'm also not really bothered by it. I've had major health problems for a decade and I feel old a lot of the time and I'm grateful to be alive and healthier than I was a decade ago.

It's not a case of lamenting getting older, just the strangeness of seeing yourself turn into someone who doesn't look exactly like you're used to yourself looking. All my life, people have told me I am a clone of my father, and over the past few years my face has changed significantly to look more like my mother's. I find that interesting and comforting since I lost her three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 0June 10, 2021 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!