Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jessica Chastain Is Barely Recognizable In ‘Eyes Of Tammy Faye’ Trailer

The “Zero Dark Thirty” actor and Andrew Garfield star as notorious televangelists Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker in the forthcoming biopic, due out in September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2021 11:51 AM

“The Eyes of Tammy Faye” takes its name from a 2000 documentary aimed at redeeming Tammy Faye’s image. Narrated by RuPaul, the documentary emphasized Tammy Faye’s outspoken support of the LGBTQ community, as well as people living with HIV/AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 7:44 AM

Who's that guy in the pic at OP? Major cookie smells!

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 7:57 AM

I'm afraid I was responsible for my mom getting hooked on Jim Bakker's show. I would watch and count to myself how many times they would ask the suckers to send them money, I thought it was hilarious. But mom got into it after a bit. That led to a few arguments, at least until the bubble burst.

Bless Jessica Hahn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 9:04 AM

I miss FILTHY RICH. So much potential.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 9:12 AM

I recognize her and she looks boring as fuck, how’d she manage that as Tammy Faye?

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 10:11 AM

Tammy was just so full of life...Chastain is a good actress, but there was just something missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 10:29 AM

Chastain is doing very well here. If the movie is half as good as the trailer it will be a sensation.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 11:32 AM

MANY Years ago, i once waited on Tammy Faye at a restaurant, she was with a female friend and was actually very sweet and normal...

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 12:06 PM

I've never seen RuPaul do an interview. She's fabulous! She could barely get a word in edge-wise what with Tammy's motor mouth, but she remained supportive and giving.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2021 12:20 PM

[quote]Jessica Chastain Is Barely Recognizable

That’s the whole point of acting, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2021 1:44 PM

Here's the trailer. She pulls it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2021 2:05 PM

The voice is nowhere near, but I’m liking the overall tone (and color scheme!) of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2021 2:53 PM

I think it looks really good. She's nailed the voice without it being parody (although I could swear I heard Faye as Palin at moments.) Ever since Emma Corrin nailed Diana in The Crown you realise how important the voice is to recreating the character, especially when so indelible.

One question, is In Theaters a really new streaming service? Because I can't find it on Google anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2021 2:57 PM

best part of the trailer was the classic hit "these eyes" by the guess who being played!...

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2021 4:38 PM

I remember when she was being hyped to death circa 2011-2013. She then did a couple of independent films that were complete duds so she started doing things for the money i.e X-Men, IT. Now clearly she wants to restart her quest for an Oscar.

I didn’t have a problem with her when she first came onto the scene but then she got woke. Furthermore, she constantly goes on about how women in the industry are treated like shit but had no problem working with Matthew Newton. Newton is a director who has a history of alleged assault and domestic violence in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2021 4:39 PM

Miss Chastain is THIRSTY... for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2021 4:44 PM

You know, Tammy Bakker wore a great deal of make up and her singing was not of - let's just say Broadway quality. That part could win an Oscar and I don't know why it went to some barely capable has been like this young woman. That potential Oscar winning part should have gone to a safe pair of hands. A safe pair of liver spotted, grasping - oh, fuck it: [bold][italic] WHO DO I HAVE TO BLOW?[/bold][/italic]

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2021 10:23 PM

R17: Just enjoy your participation certificates and keep shakin that ass.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2021 10:28 PM

R17: Marry a famous Hollywood director.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2021 10:29 PM

I'm sorry, Jessica Chastain doesn't "nail it" on this. She sucks. She is always underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2021 10:31 PM

Did the movie capture Tammy Faye’s scene with Leona Helmsley and Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2021 10:35 PM

[Quote] Can we talk about Satiin later, Jim.

Lol I love it

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2021 12:26 PM

She also isn't recognizable as Tammy Faye. Where is the square face, brought mouth, and crazy clown eyes?

My drugged up sister used to hate-watch their show with her drugged up now husband.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]I didn’t have a problem with her when she first came onto the scene but then she got woke.

That’s something I always leave at the door — I don’t care about the actor’s politics. Why should I?

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2021 3:59 PM

Jesshica Chashtain

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2021 4:01 PM

With Ru, honey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2021 11:56 PM

Vincent D'Onofrio is playing Jerry Falwell.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2021 12:18 AM

I'm old enough to remember when it was Bernadette Peters and Kevin Spacey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 7:13 PM

Is Chastain playing Jim Bakker, or Pugsly the son?

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2021 7:19 PM

This is going to suck so hard. And not just because Jessica Shitstain is in it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2021 8:53 PM

The reviews are in. THR says “A grotesque clown show.”

Guess that makeup aged her for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2021 8:07 AM

Brilliant makeup for them both! Recognizably convincing yet not a masquerade.

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2021 9:54 AM

R31 THR is the only bad review out of a dozen. Weird you mention that one. Who are you? Amy Adams?

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2021 10:02 AM

She looks more like Rue McClanahan lol

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2021 10:02 AM

From Variety:

Why watch “The Eyes of Tammy Faye” instead of the original documentary, which is superb? Because this version, in heightening our connection to the characters, sheds new light on who they were and why they did what they did. It’s Tammy Faye who comes to occupy the spiritual center of the movie, and Chastain, tapping a bombs-away flamboyance she has never before approached, makes her a mesmerizing diva-victim who keeps evolving.

First she’s a beaming ’50s innocent in a swirl of Donna Reed hair. Then she’s a baby-voiced puppet maestro. Then she’s a bored housewife who realizes that she loves the limelight. Then she’s an instinctive Christian feminist who, at a house party, demands a seat at Jerry Falwell’s table (he thinks women should be seen and not heard). Then she invites Steve Pieters (Randy Havens), a man with AIDS, onto the show, and whether or not her tears for him are real or crocodile tears (with Tammy Faye, it’s kind of both), she takes a stand for compassion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2021 10:51 AM

I don’t know if this movie is good or not but I read THR’s reviews fairly regularly and they’re very hard to please.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2021 11:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!