Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gerard Malanga

I'm amazed, there's never been a DL thread just on Gerard Malanga. He was so incredibly interesting and so handsome. Has anyone met him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2022 5:42 AM

Isn't he responsible for a lot of fake Warhols?

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2021 12:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2021 12:06 AM

R1 - Is he? I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2021 12:36 AM

I'm amazed OP thinks he's clever to clone the Nico thread. How many personalities in the next few hours?

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2021 12:41 AM

At first I thought this was a picture of Donald Trump’s good looking brother. Then I realized that there are no good looking Trumps.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2021 12:43 AM

Initially I thought that was Lesley Gore, or else a young Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2021 2:53 AM

I remember reading about him in the book, Edie by Jean Stein and George Plimpton, but honestly couldn't remember anything about him specifically, a lot of those guys at the Factory seemed similar.

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2021 3:10 AM

R4 - yeah, that thread is what got me thinking about him - but he wasn't even mentioned on it except for one picture.

I thought he was so hot back in my college days when I was obsessed with Andy Warhol and the Factory. If I remember correctly, though, he is not a gay.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2021 3:31 AM

a gay? What is your mother tongue?

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2021 3:33 AM

R9 - I mean he is not a member of the faggotry.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2021 12:54 PM

He's very openly gay in this rare reprint of an interview from 1974. It's not text you can copy and paste, but if you scroll down to the interview he talks about it after the question:

[quote] W.L.: Since you've touched on your first years of discovery can you recall your first homosexual experience?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2021 1:31 PM

Thanks for that rarity, R11! He certainly is an intellectual. I was surprised how much he dissed Warhol, although I'm also surprised he didn't get mad at being asked so many questions about Warhol. As for sexuality, he's a little coy about it, openly talking about his gay experiences, without coming out and saying that he is gay. Very interesting interview.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2021 12:09 AM

I think he looks beautiful in this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2021 12:10 AM

Just a little bit short in the dick department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2021 12:11 AM

With Sally Kirkland and "guest". His or hers, I wonder? Guest is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2021 12:13 AM

I’ve posted here on this before, but I answered phones at the Factory when it was in the old ConEd building in the west 30s. This was ‘85 and ‘86 summer unpaid internship. I loved Brigid Berlin so much. She and I would laugh until tears came down. Gerard was nice but aloof in those days as this was when he would pester Andy for higher profile intros to galleries etc. for his own work. Andy hated that. Even after all their years. I got the job through my Aunt who hung out in those circles. And to the poster above, yes, Gerard did almost all of the actual silk screening. The Polaroids and sittings were exclusively Andy but the rote and mechanical screening was Gerard … and later a few other Factory guys.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2021 12:18 AM

He lives in Hudson, NY and I see him all the time. He gets around town with a walker and has an assistant. He’s very much an old man. He often goes to sit at outdoor or indoor coffee shops and cafes and writes or eats a meal. When he isn’t using his walker and just sitting down (and not wearing a mask) he looks quite great for his age! I’ve said hello to him a few times and he’s nice. He’s yet another personality in Hudson that some people point to and go, “Do you know who that is? That’s... etc.”

I’ve even snapped a few photos on the sly.

Even when the pandemic hit I still saw him around (always wearing a mask though).

I actually haven’t seen him around in a few months so, ya know, you kind of wonder. I hope he’s doing all right.

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2021 12:35 AM

His Instagram is updated frequently (last post 2 days ago). It’s very much about the past, some current stuff. It has some interesting stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2021 12:39 AM

He's in Andy Warhol's Vinyl (1965) He has a simian unibrow and a beaky nose.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2021 12:53 AM

He looks like Glenn Frey of the Eagles.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2021 1:01 AM

He was ridiculously sexy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2021 1:12 AM

Malanga is a root.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2021 1:14 AM

His cat, Sasha, who lived to be 18 or19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2021 1:50 AM

I always found Gerard to be very handsome with an alluring aura.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2021 12:27 AM

He was my college friend's godfather so yes, I have met him.

As well as the rest of that crew - Ultra Violet, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, Penny Arcade, etc.

Gerard was always civil.

Ultra Violet was interesting.

Debbie was a sweetie.

I've heard horror stories about Lou but the few times we met he was perfectly nice.

Penny Arcade is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2021 12:35 AM

Gerard was so gorgeous. But he was involved in so many aspects of art. Silk screening, photography, films, and most of all poetry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2022 9:37 PM

His unit looks, short but thick.

I hope he was a grower!

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2022 9:54 PM

He looks like Jim Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2022 2:05 AM

OP = Worse Than Hitler and Stalin and Putin and Xi and Gwyneth Paltrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2022 3:07 AM

I know Gerard was Andy's right hand man for his art and various projects for several years. But was he also his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2022 2:24 AM

Are there any current photos of him?

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2022 2:31 AM

R25 Penny a cunt? How so?

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote] I know Gerard was Andy's right hand man for his art and various projects for several years. But was he also his boyfriend?

No. Andy talks about Gerard sleeping around with bothmen and women. Andy did have a romantic relationship with Billy Name in those early factory days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2022 3:04 AM

[quote] Are there any current photos of him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2022 5:12 AM

R26 That nice image reminds me of a later New Yorker.

I can't find the picture now but it shows Rob Anderson with calligraphy over his almost-nude body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2022 5:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!