Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there anyone else who hates game nights?

I loathe game nights. I can't think of anything more boring than sitting around with a group of friends playing a board game. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's because I've never liked video games. I don't know. I just feel like I'm the only person who finds game playing -- whether it's video games, board games or cards -- the most tedious, time-wasting activity ever. I don't mind playing sports because I feel I'm getting the benefits of physical exercise, but I don't care at all about the competitive factor. I'm curious if there are other who feel the same way or, if not, can explain to me the benefits of playing board games with friends.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2021 1:34 AM

I can take it or leave it, though I do enjoy poker/ cards and some video games (just nothing like I did as a teen/ in my early 20s). I also enjoy playing golf on occasion, some frisbee golf, horseshoes, target shooting, fishing, etc., though that might fall under sporting rather than games (I see them as in the middle of both because of the competitive nature). I even enjoy the occasional game of chess.

However.... actual "game nights" (charades, board games, etc.) are not something I'd seek out, but I notice they're good for people that want to talk and socialize, but avoid any heavy topics or awkwardness (good for big family events).

Do you enjoy the other things I mentioned? Like golf, fishing, etc.? I only ask because if you do, maybe that'll help explain why some people enjoy games; it's just without physicality involved. It's definitely also one of those things in life, like reading, where some people enjoy it, whereas others don't, just because different strokes I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 6:57 PM

I enjoy getting out and doing things, so, yes, I enjoy golf and fishing. Indoors I enjoy watching movies, having dinner, listening to music, etc. I enjoy just sitting and having conversation, enjoy outdoor barbecues, but the minute a board game is suggested I want to get up and leave. It has nothing to do with concern over not being any good at the game or losing. I just find the activity extremely boring, including the conversation ABOUT the game and the rules.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 7:13 PM

I'm bringing up "game night" specifically because it seems to be all the rage these days.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 7:15 PM

Nope, it's just you OP.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 7:18 PM

Game nights are usually an icebreaker for a group of people who don't each other.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 7:21 PM

I can’t think of anything worse.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 7:29 PM

Why the f would you do any of these things if you loathe them?

Stop whining and go do something you else you pussy.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 7:39 PM

I love them, especially card game nights when we're betting with real money. There's always pizza, beer and booze involved as well. Playing simple games like "Screw your neighbor" can get particularly contentious.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 8:24 PM

Board games have become the new geekdom among millennials. Yeah, a total waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 9:39 PM

I hate people so no, I don't participate in such base activities.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 10:35 PM

I love strip board games. I intentionally do badly so I can take my clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 10:38 PM

R10, or there's another alternative. People hate you, and you're never invited.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 10:45 PM

I wish my friends would grow up and stop considering video games a social event. I suck at them and would keep on playing guitar and singing for them or something.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 11:11 PM

Whenever I'm at a social gatherings among friends or family the minute they pull out the boardgames is my cue to leave.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2021 12:54 AM

I like it if I like the people. It's just a relaxing way to socialize.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2021 12:56 AM

Do you like playing cards OP?

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2021 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!