Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Sept. 27, 2021)

This trailer deserves its own thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2021 4:15 PM

This will either be a critical and box office bomb or a box office hit and CLASSIC.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 5:19 PM

looks like Bryce Dallas Howard at the beginning when she knocks on her mother's door

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 5:20 PM

R1 Actually, it could be a critical bomb [italic]and[/italic] classic.

Chastain is fantastic in the trailer. I’m predicting an Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 5:21 PM

R3- True, very true.

Listen- Initially the trailer seemed like a straight up comedy- but the 2nd half shows an amazing range for Jessica-

So yes, I think she may have a lock on this.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 5:22 PM

R4 I agree, I was surprised at how good she captures Tammy Faye, especially, as you pointed out, in the second half of the trailer.

It seems as if, through her performance, she is charting the development of Tammy Faye’s public persona. Her voice grows increasingly high as she ages.

I am so excited for this pic.

After reading this in the People exclusive on the other thread, I think, with the help of this movie, Tammy Faye may become a DL icon:

[quote] Chastain says she was most surprised watching her interview with Christian gay minister and AIDS patient Steve Pieters, which fueled Tammy's later involvement and support of the LGBTQ movement. "That's really why I wanted to make the movie," Chastain allows. "Because in a time when people were even afraid to say AIDS, we had this female televangelist. And she was a minister too in her own right. She wasn't just the preacher's wife, the singer. The interview is phenomenal. It's so beautiful and loving. And it's such a huge turning point in terms of what people could associate God's grace with, because I feel like she was filled with grace."

Here is the interview referenced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 5:29 PM

"A lock" on the Oscar?

Oh for Christ's sake. You must be Lynn Stairmaster.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 5:30 PM

R6 Chiiile…

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 5:38 PM

Nothing will top the original, complete with puppets announcing scene changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 5:44 PM

I'm glad her AIDS interview will be featured. And, that Jimmy Falwell will apparently be the villain in the film.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 5:44 PM

R9 Yes!

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 7:17 PM

Slay queen !

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 7:52 PM

"After reading this in the People exclusive on the other thread, I think, with the help of this movie, Tammy Faye may become a DL icon"

Tammy Faye has long been a DL icon, r5.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 7:59 PM

I love Andrew Garfield so much, I’ll see this, but I’m going to wait until it’s streamable.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 8:02 PM

Chastain is so good that it’s easy to overlook Garfield as Jim Bakker - he nails it. Can’t wait to watch this

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 8:03 PM

Hey, what about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]I was surprised at how good she captures Tammy Faye

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 8:20 PM

R14 I was more surprised by Garfield. I've only ever seen clips of some of his films, and he was always unremarkable to me. He seems to capture the essence of Bakker. And I know Tammy was a native of Minnesota, but I think Chastain carries that "Oh gosh, don't ya know!" manner of speaking too far into the story. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 8:40 PM

R12 Funny, I thought she was just the subject of much ridicule on here.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 9:20 PM

I fucked up with “at how good she captures,” huh, R16? I caught it right after, then questioned whether it was an actual grammatical error, then brushed it off and kept mum, hoping no one would notice…

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 9:24 PM

Being a DL icon hardly protects one from ridicule, r18.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 9:39 PM

The should have been done as over the top camp.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 9:46 PM

This looks great. Kinda dark comedy approach?

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 9:56 PM

This movie is definitely Oscar hunting. And it will most likely win. It’s the equivalent of “I, Tonya,” the Tonya Harding movie that I loved so much several years back.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 9:59 PM

Jesshica Chashtain!

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 9:59 PM

Liza, enough.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 10:15 PM

It seems like it, R22. As R23, tonally, it’s giving of “I, Tonya” vibes.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 10:30 PM

How can this film have the same title as the Documentary? Copyright?

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 11:22 PM

R27 The same was done with Grey Gardens. If the powers that be, i.e., the documentarians, are ok with it, I think it’s permissible.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 11:28 PM

I saw Tammy when she came to the Castro to promote the documentary about her. She was roundly applauded and celebrated for coming to the gay mecca, telling some jokes, getting the boys riled up, and talking about people she knew she had lost to AIDS, and that she knew the crowd must have known. Thunderous applause and tears.

Then someone asked her if she supported gay marriage, and she gave a very diplomatic 'no' to the person who asked, and there were some boo and hiss from the crowd, followed by other queens being outraged by anyone doing that to Tammy. I found it hilarious.

I was ok with her lack of support there. We didn't need her for that, and she was at least being honest.

RIP sweet lady.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 11:29 PM

[quote] I saw Tammy when she came to the Castro to promote the documentary about her. She was roundly applauded and celebrated for coming to the gay mecca, telling some jokes, getting the boys riled up, and talking about people she knew she had lost to AIDS, and that she knew the crowd must have known. Thunderous applause and tears.

I hop this is included in the film.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 11:32 PM

*hope

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 11:32 PM

What was the mascara budget?

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 11:34 PM

R30, you mean you hope you see a scene where Jessica Chastain, as Tammy, appears at the Castro to promote her documentary?

That'd be pretty meta.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 11:36 PM

Who's playing Jim J. Bullock? And Jessica Hahn?

Too bad Jan Hooks didn't live long enough to play her again. (Although I guess she'd be too old now.)

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 11:40 PM

Tammy Faye was an inspiration. I don't believe the same way she did, but I admired her devoutness without being too judgmental. She seemed like a really good (albeit naive) person with good intentions and a lot of love in her heart.

Jim, on the other hand, was and is an opportunist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 11:41 PM

Does anyone remember the “I ran into Tammy Faye…” T-shirt with the smeared face-like image? Wish I’d gotten one back then…

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 11:45 PM

[quote] Does anyone remember the “I ran into Tammy Faye…” T-shirt with the smeared face-like image? Wish I’d gotten one back then…

Yes! I had one.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 11:49 PM

Oh shit. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 11:51 PM

The world really was a better place back then 😢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2021 11:54 PM

r36 I still have mine! Must be over 30 years old now.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2021 11:57 PM

I remember when she was being hyped to death circa 2011-2013. She then did a couple of independent films that were complete duds so she started doing things for the money i.e X-Men, IT. Now clearly she wants to restart her quest for an Oscar.

I didn’t have a problem with her when she first came onto the scene but then she got woke. Furthermore, she constantly goes on about how women in the industry are treated like shit but had no problem working with Matthew Newton. Newton is a director who has a history of alleged assault and domestic violence in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2021 12:03 AM

Here ya go r36..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2021 12:24 AM

R42 I almost posted those but they’re not vintage.

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2021 12:28 AM

They need to redo them as I ran into Bianca Del Rio at the mall shirts.

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2021 12:37 AM

Will it cover this notorious incident?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2021 12:41 AM

I can't believe I said Jimmy Falwell instead of Jerry Falwell, at R9, but I'm still glad he is being made the villain. I didn't know he was involved with them in anyway prior to his screwing them out of Heritage USA.

I am upset, however, that the legendary gospel singer Vestal Goodman doesn't appear to be one of the characters. Vestal and her husband Howard were close friends and costars of the Bakkers at PTL and lived in the same neighborhood in Tega Cay, SC. When all the shit was going down and the press was harassing Tammy Faye, she would push the paparazzi out the way and even would place Tammy in the foot of her car covered by sheets or clothing just to get her away to have some peace. Vestal would've been a good co-starring dramatic role for Melissa McCarthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2021 12:42 AM

Is that Cherry Jones as TFB's mom?

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2021 12:49 AM

Vestal is another good one.

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2021 12:49 AM

R47 No, it’s Mary Kay Place, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2021 12:52 AM

OMG! This could be more tacky than Mommie Dearest!

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2021 12:52 AM

She was a beautiful person - stupid, but beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2021 12:53 AM

Look at that Vestal woman’s hair, all ratted up like a teenage Jezebel.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2021 1:09 AM

I would get together with some friends and we'd get high and watch PTL and laugh our heads off. Everybody loved Tammy .We also swore Jim was gay . I remember their anniversary show where they gave each other these over the top lavish gifts ,and Tammy must have been dehydrated from all the tears .

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2021 1:12 AM

Chrissy Metz was cast for more recent scenes as Tammy Sue "Sissy" Bakker, but she kept eating all the apocalypse food buckets.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2021 1:37 AM

I met Tammy Faye in 2002, she was shopping at an upscale resale shop in the Biltmore area of Phoenix (My Sister's Closet). I told her I had a quote of hers that I had cut out of the paper and taped to my computer at work and that I'd been a fan for a long time. She hugged me three times. She was a tiny woman, even in heels, and had full Tammy Faye makeup on. Sweetest woman ever. There was something slightly "off" about her, eccentric, but so full of love and life.

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote] but she kept eating all the apocalypse food buckets.

Did you mean trucks R54?

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2021 2:00 AM

R55 love that. What was the quote?

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2021 2:08 AM

Tammy Faye always gave off the vibes that her Christianity, was a lot like Dolly Parton's. Not about condemnation but about love. I think the Evangelical world would've been a lot better with more Tammy Fayes and a lot less Jerry Falwells.

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2021 2:14 AM

R58 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2021 2:18 AM

Will the theatres be selling buckets of Jim Bakker's slop to munch on during the movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2021 2:20 AM

[quote]Jimmy Falwell will apparently be the villain in the film.

He was one of the most loathsome pieces of filth who ever walked the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2021 2:22 AM

r55 She'd spoken at a pride festival in Florida, I think it was Tampa, and she said something to the effect of "Like all of you, I've been teased and made fun of, but I'm not going to let them live in my brain." : )

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2021 2:24 AM

Dying so young , its heartbreaking to think what Kevin Aucoin could have done with Chastain, she looks nothing like her. Same with Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford. Kevin made other stars look like legends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2021 2:28 AM

Kevyn had the luxury of choosing women who had similar facial features.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2021 2:53 AM

I don’t care what you bitches say, I am here for this.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2021 6:51 AM

I can remember that whole PTL scandal like it was yesterday, even though I was just a kid at the time. It was a major story for months, and the media couldn't get enough of Tammy Faye. She was all over tv and magazines.

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2021 6:57 AM

Anybody seen the movie yet in a pre screener? Is it as good as the trailer suggests?

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2021 8:20 AM

It's basically the Tonya Harding movie by Margot Robbie, right?

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2021 9:45 AM

Ok. I've read the thread and see that 2 others make the "I, Tonya" link. Who is the Allison Janney?

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2021 9:51 AM

R69 Vincent D'Onofrio as Jerry Falwell

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2021 12:43 PM

Jay Bakker saw the movie and liked it, not sure about Tammy Sue. Jay doesn’t have much of a relationship with his dad, but Tammy sue does.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2021 1:09 PM

R60 - I get high and watch Vic Berger compilations on YouTube. They are surreal and amazing. Trump’s theme music and air horn kill me every time! The Jim Bakker bits are so disturbing

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2021 11:22 PM

Who plays the bimbo from Babylon, Long Island?

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2021 11:48 PM

I'm liking Jessica's approximation of Tammy Faye.

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2021 12:34 AM

I can remember the PTL scandal like it was yesterday. It was a major news story for many months.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2021 1:11 AM

More VPL, less PTL please.

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote]Who plays the bimbo from Babylon, Long Island?

Yo, ya fuckin' moron, Jessica Hahn was from Massapequa, the same hamlet where Joey Buttafuco and Amy Fisher are from. Jessica wasn't a bimbo, she was a church secretary and was targeted, drugged and raped by Jim Baker. Also from Massapequa is Jerry Seinfeld, The Baldwin boys, Steve Guttenberg, John Savaage, The Stray Cats band, Marvin Hamlisch, Candy Darling, Christine Jorgensen and Brian Kilmeade. Neil Diamond lived there for a while and Dick Van Dyke lived there while on Broadway on "Bye Bye Birdie" .

IMBD doesn't have Jessica listed as a character which would be really weird if not included.

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2021 10:02 AM

I cannot wait for this film. Chastain looks great, amazing. Garfield is an inspired choice for weeping Jim Baker. This movie is going to light up the end of 2021. Tammy Faye should be remembered as a monumentally unique human being and a truly spiritual person. And a fucking hoot. A gay ICON. I happen to think that Chastain is a GREAT actress. Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 78July 24, 2021 5:20 PM

R78- Ditto on every word

by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2021 5:40 PM

I hope old secy Chastain gets her desired Oscar

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2021 6:01 PM

[QUOTE] Who's playing Jim J. Bullock?

Is Jim J. Bullock having some kind of a renaissance at the moment? He’s one of the main characters in this book coming out this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2021 6:20 PM

The documentary was great. Why are movies made out of documentaries? Grey Gardens, Man on Wire, etc. The documentaries include the real people and situations. Why make a movie?

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2021 7:06 PM

r82 Shut up

by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2021 7:12 PM

Have you seen Grey Gardens on HBO, R82? It’s not a straight-up reconstruction of the original documentary. It explores how the Edies ended up in the state in which the Maysles brothers find them at the start of the doc.

You sound very stupid.

by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2021 7:14 PM

R82 entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2021 7:14 PM

Even though I was a kid at the time, I can remember the PTL scandal like it was yesterday. Jim and Tammy Faye were well-known in the Christian broadcasting community, but they were not famous to the general public. When the scandal broke and Jim and Tammy Faye became nationally known, people were like "what the FUCK?" The whole world of Christian broadcasting and all the intrigues and general bizarreness of the players involved in it was really eye-opening to mainstream America, who never really paid much attention to it beforehand. It was all so strange and surreal.

The saga of Jim and Tammy Faye was a major news story for months, it was covered on the nightly news and other mainstream news outlets, it wasn't just a tabloid story.

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2021 7:16 PM

Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks helped make the famous

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2021 7:18 PM

^them

by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2021 7:19 PM

R83 YOU shut up!

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2021 7:19 PM

Phil and Jan as Jim and Tammy Faye, with Dana Carvey as the Church Lady. One of the all-time best SNL sketches, imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2021 7:48 PM

[quote]I can remember the PTL scandal like it was yesterday.

I remember the indictment news because it broke into the last ten minutes of a particularly good episode of Guiding Light that afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2021 8:30 PM

Can't wait to see it. I saw the documentary and it opened my eyes about Tammy Faye. She was a good person.

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2021 8:35 PM

Will there be any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2021 8:40 PM

IMO, Chastain does not capture Tammy Faye.

Looks like the movie's not over the top like "Mommie Dearest."

I think Jennifer Lawrence could have captured Tammy Faye.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2021 8:43 PM

WHET Jennifer Lawrence?

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2021 8:49 PM

I met Eric Estrada and of all the people in the world to talk about, we talked about Tammy Faye, he did a reality show with her. She was gone and he said how she suffered in the end and had nothing but wonderful things to say about her. He said she was a lovely person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2021 11:20 PM

She makes me cry. She really is a prototype for RuPaul's Drag Race. From her beginnings as puppeteer! The bad singing and makeup. Big bad jewelry and cheap shoes. It's weird because I was really little when this shit went down. There's no doubt that Tammy bilked the public out of hundreds or millions of dollars to build a theme park for Jesus. Roger Ebert said that Tammy Faye spent more time being herself on live TV than anyone in human history - that she lived the Truman Show.

And if you remember, she appeared on Larry King a few nights before she died? Man, this movie better be LIT. Tammy Faye Bakker Messner deserves it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2021 11:34 PM

Crazy to the end. And real as rain. Turns out her act was never an act. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2021 11:39 PM

Roger Ebert was vile ultra conservative nutjob.

"My choice is to not support abortion, except in cases of a clear-cut choice between the lives of the mother and child. A child conceived through incest or rape is innocent and deserves the right to be born. I consider myself Catholic, lock, stock and barrel, with this technical loophole: I cannot believe in God."

I never was that much convinced about Ebert being a good movie critic, I think he was a good writer, I give him that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 25, 2021 12:23 AM

I know all about Roger Ebert fuck wad R99. What I quoted from his review of the Tammy Faye documentary was both interesting and illustrative of Tammy Faye's life. Ebert was a very good writer and not to be overlooked as a film critic either. What an idiot you are to be parsing such an insightful and generous statement.

Save the word vile for those who truly deserve it R99. Did some catholic boy call you names in gym class?

by Anonymousreply 100July 25, 2021 12:32 AM

Of course anybody who thinks a woman has to carry the child of her rapist is vile! Ebert was a sick, arch conservative freak!

by Anonymousreply 101July 25, 2021 12:43 AM

This is a theater movie? It seems more Netflix-y.

by Anonymousreply 102July 25, 2021 12:45 AM

Why R102? What makes a theater movie? Monsters and superheroes?

Jim and Tammy would make a great Ryan Murphy series, if you want to remove the humanity from them too.

by Anonymousreply 103July 25, 2021 12:53 AM

No way stay away Ryan Murphy! He fucks everything he touches up so GD badly.

by Anonymousreply 104July 25, 2021 1:13 AM

No it doesn’t at all, R102.

Your taste level is low.

by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2021 1:54 PM

Jessica Lange as Tammy Faye!

by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2021 4:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!