Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Sept. 27, 2021)

This trailer deserves its own thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 10:57 PM

This will either be a critical and box office bomb or a box office hit and CLASSIC.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 9:19 AM

looks like Bryce Dallas Howard at the beginning when she knocks on her mother's door

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 9:20 AM

R1 Actually, it could be a critical bomb [italic]and[/italic] classic.

Chastain is fantastic in the trailer. I’m predicting an Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 9:21 AM

R3- True, very true.

Listen- Initially the trailer seemed like a straight up comedy- but the 2nd half shows an amazing range for Jessica-

So yes, I think she may have a lock on this.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 9:22 AM

R4 I agree, I was surprised at how good she captures Tammy Faye, especially, as you pointed out, in the second half of the trailer.

It seems as if, through her performance, she is charting the development of Tammy Faye’s public persona. Her voice grows increasingly high as she ages.

I am so excited for this pic.

After reading this in the People exclusive on the other thread, I think, with the help of this movie, Tammy Faye may become a DL icon:

[quote] Chastain says she was most surprised watching her interview with Christian gay minister and AIDS patient Steve Pieters, which fueled Tammy's later involvement and support of the LGBTQ movement. "That's really why I wanted to make the movie," Chastain allows. "Because in a time when people were even afraid to say AIDS, we had this female televangelist. And she was a minister too in her own right. She wasn't just the preacher's wife, the singer. The interview is phenomenal. It's so beautiful and loving. And it's such a huge turning point in terms of what people could associate God's grace with, because I feel like she was filled with grace."

Here is the interview referenced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 9:29 AM

"A lock" on the Oscar?

Oh for Christ's sake. You must be Lynn Stairmaster.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 9:30 AM

R6 Chiiile…

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 9:38 AM

Nothing will top the original, complete with puppets announcing scene changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 9:44 AM

I'm glad her AIDS interview will be featured. And, that Jimmy Falwell will apparently be the villain in the film.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 9:44 AM

R9 Yes!

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

Slay queen !

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 11:52 AM

"After reading this in the People exclusive on the other thread, I think, with the help of this movie, Tammy Faye may become a DL icon"

Tammy Faye has long been a DL icon, r5.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 11:59 AM

I love Andrew Garfield so much, I’ll see this, but I’m going to wait until it’s streamable.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 12:02 PM

Chastain is so good that it’s easy to overlook Garfield as Jim Bakker - he nails it. Can’t wait to watch this

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 12:03 PM

Hey, what about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 12:11 PM

[quote]I was surprised at how good she captures Tammy Faye

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 12:20 PM

R14 I was more surprised by Garfield. I've only ever seen clips of some of his films, and he was always unremarkable to me. He seems to capture the essence of Bakker. And I know Tammy was a native of Minnesota, but I think Chastain carries that "Oh gosh, don't ya know!" manner of speaking too far into the story. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 12:40 PM

R12 Funny, I thought she was just the subject of much ridicule on here.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 1:20 PM

I fucked up with “at how good she captures,” huh, R16? I caught it right after, then questioned whether it was an actual grammatical error, then brushed it off and kept mum, hoping no one would notice…

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 1:24 PM

Being a DL icon hardly protects one from ridicule, r18.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 1:39 PM

The should have been done as over the top camp.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 1:46 PM

This looks great. Kinda dark comedy approach?

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 1:56 PM

This movie is definitely Oscar hunting. And it will most likely win. It’s the equivalent of “I, Tonya,” the Tonya Harding movie that I loved so much several years back.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 1:59 PM

Jesshica Chashtain!

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 1:59 PM

Liza, enough.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 2:15 PM

It seems like it, R22. As R23, tonally, it’s giving of “I, Tonya” vibes.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 2:30 PM

How can this film have the same title as the Documentary? Copyright?

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 3:22 PM

R27 The same was done with Grey Gardens. If the powers that be, i.e., the documentarians, are ok with it, I think it’s permissible.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 3:28 PM

I saw Tammy when she came to the Castro to promote the documentary about her. She was roundly applauded and celebrated for coming to the gay mecca, telling some jokes, getting the boys riled up, and talking about people she knew she had lost to AIDS, and that she knew the crowd must have known. Thunderous applause and tears.

Then someone asked her if she supported gay marriage, and she gave a very diplomatic 'no' to the person who asked, and there were some boo and hiss from the crowd, followed by other queens being outraged by anyone doing that to Tammy. I found it hilarious.

I was ok with her lack of support there. We didn't need her for that, and she was at least being honest.

RIP sweet lady.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 3:29 PM

[quote] I saw Tammy when she came to the Castro to promote the documentary about her. She was roundly applauded and celebrated for coming to the gay mecca, telling some jokes, getting the boys riled up, and talking about people she knew she had lost to AIDS, and that she knew the crowd must have known. Thunderous applause and tears.

I hop this is included in the film.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 3:32 PM

*hope

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 3:32 PM

What was the mascara budget?

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 3:34 PM

R30, you mean you hope you see a scene where Jessica Chastain, as Tammy, appears at the Castro to promote her documentary?

That'd be pretty meta.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 3:36 PM

Who's playing Jim J. Bullock? And Jessica Hahn?

Too bad Jan Hooks didn't live long enough to play her again. (Although I guess she'd be too old now.)

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 3:40 PM

Tammy Faye was an inspiration. I don't believe the same way she did, but I admired her devoutness without being too judgmental. She seemed like a really good (albeit naive) person with good intentions and a lot of love in her heart.

Jim, on the other hand, was and is an opportunist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 3:41 PM

Does anyone remember the “I ran into Tammy Faye…” T-shirt with the smeared face-like image? Wish I’d gotten one back then…

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 3:45 PM

[quote] Does anyone remember the “I ran into Tammy Faye…” T-shirt with the smeared face-like image? Wish I’d gotten one back then…

Yes! I had one.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 3:49 PM

Oh shit. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 3:51 PM

The world really was a better place back then 😢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 3:54 PM

r36 I still have mine! Must be over 30 years old now.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 3:57 PM

I remember when she was being hyped to death circa 2011-2013. She then did a couple of independent films that were complete duds so she started doing things for the money i.e X-Men, IT. Now clearly she wants to restart her quest for an Oscar.

I didn’t have a problem with her when she first came onto the scene but then she got woke. Furthermore, she constantly goes on about how women in the industry are treated like shit but had no problem working with Matthew Newton. Newton is a director who has a history of alleged assault and domestic violence in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 4:03 PM

Here ya go r36..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 4:24 PM

R42 I almost posted those but they’re not vintage.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 4:28 PM

They need to redo them as I ran into Bianca Del Rio at the mall shirts.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 4:37 PM

Will it cover this notorious incident?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 4:41 PM

I can't believe I said Jimmy Falwell instead of Jerry Falwell, at R9, but I'm still glad he is being made the villain. I didn't know he was involved with them in anyway prior to his screwing them out of Heritage USA.

I am upset, however, that the legendary gospel singer Vestal Goodman doesn't appear to be one of the characters. Vestal and her husband Howard were close friends and costars of the Bakkers at PTL and lived in the same neighborhood in Tega Cay, SC. When all the shit was going down and the press was harassing Tammy Faye, she would push the paparazzi out the way and even would place Tammy in the foot of her car covered by sheets or clothing just to get her away to have some peace. Vestal would've been a good co-starring dramatic role for Melissa McCarthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 4:42 PM

Is that Cherry Jones as TFB's mom?

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 4:49 PM

Vestal is another good one.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 4:49 PM

R47 No, it’s Mary Kay Place, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Wednesday at 4:52 PM

OMG! This could be more tacky than Mommie Dearest!

by Anonymousreply 50Last Wednesday at 4:52 PM

She was a beautiful person - stupid, but beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Wednesday at 4:53 PM

Look at that Vestal woman’s hair, all ratted up like a teenage Jezebel.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Wednesday at 5:09 PM

I would get together with some friends and we'd get high and watch PTL and laugh our heads off. Everybody loved Tammy .We also swore Jim was gay . I remember their anniversary show where they gave each other these over the top lavish gifts ,and Tammy must have been dehydrated from all the tears .

by Anonymousreply 53Last Wednesday at 5:12 PM

Chrissy Metz was cast for more recent scenes as Tammy Sue "Sissy" Bakker, but she kept eating all the apocalypse food buckets.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Wednesday at 5:37 PM

I met Tammy Faye in 2002, she was shopping at an upscale resale shop in the Biltmore area of Phoenix (My Sister's Closet). I told her I had a quote of hers that I had cut out of the paper and taped to my computer at work and that I'd been a fan for a long time. She hugged me three times. She was a tiny woman, even in heels, and had full Tammy Faye makeup on. Sweetest woman ever. There was something slightly "off" about her, eccentric, but so full of love and life.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Wednesday at 5:53 PM

[quote] but she kept eating all the apocalypse food buckets.

Did you mean trucks R54?

by Anonymousreply 56Last Wednesday at 6:00 PM

R55 love that. What was the quote?

by Anonymousreply 57Last Wednesday at 6:08 PM

Tammy Faye always gave off the vibes that her Christianity, was a lot like Dolly Parton's. Not about condemnation but about love. I think the Evangelical world would've been a lot better with more Tammy Fayes and a lot less Jerry Falwells.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Wednesday at 6:14 PM

R58 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 59Last Wednesday at 6:18 PM

Will the theatres be selling buckets of Jim Bakker's slop to munch on during the movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60Last Wednesday at 6:20 PM

[quote]Jimmy Falwell will apparently be the villain in the film.

He was one of the most loathsome pieces of filth who ever walked the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Wednesday at 6:22 PM

r55 She'd spoken at a pride festival in Florida, I think it was Tampa, and she said something to the effect of "Like all of you, I've been teased and made fun of, but I'm not going to let them live in my brain." : )

by Anonymousreply 62Last Wednesday at 6:24 PM

Dying so young , its heartbreaking to think what Kevin Aucoin could have done with Chastain, she looks nothing like her. Same with Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford. Kevin made other stars look like legends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63Last Wednesday at 6:28 PM

Kevyn had the luxury of choosing women who had similar facial features.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Wednesday at 6:53 PM

I don’t care what you bitches say, I am here for this.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Wednesday at 10:51 PM

I can remember that whole PTL scandal like it was yesterday, even though I was just a kid at the time. It was a major story for months, and the media couldn't get enough of Tammy Faye. She was all over tv and magazines.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!