Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cancel culture

Most people are cool with it as long as it's someone or something they really don't like.

by Anonymousreply 105June 10, 2021 8:26 PM

It's as American as Apple Pie. We cancelled people who didn't support breaking away from Britain, cancelled abolitionists, cancelled Communists, both real and imagined, after both World Wars, cancelled LBGT people forever and a day. It's been with us from day one. It's not going away, it's not new, and the only debate is who gets to cancel. The reason this is a "thing" now is that the cancellers are starting to get cancelled in very small numbers and they're losing their shit. Whites cancel blacks, blacks don't cancel whites, Israel Firsters cancel Palestinians, Palestinians don't cancel Israel Firsters, and so on and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 2:55 PM

Just Millennials trying to destroy the competition, but not look vindictive and greedy while doing it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 3:03 PM

The flight attendant was going to cancel Lucy, but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 3:05 PM

Not just Americans. I was speaking last night to an Italian friend who now lives in Singapore. He says the cancel culture has spread throughout Europe, but oddly, not in Asian countries.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 3:22 PM

I'd like to cancel those who use these words to criticize progressive ideas: "cancel culture", "woke", "social justice warrior"

No one uses "woke" other than some reactionary with a grievance addiction.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 3:25 PM

R4: "the cancel culture" Way to tell on yourself, you fake ass bitch. And Singapore is an elective dictatorship, they canceled gum chewing years ago so people wouldn't spit it out on the sidewalk. So both of you fake ass losers can fuck off with the "Asia is free" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 3:26 PM

Is the Equality Act a progressive idea?

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 3:27 PM

Cancel culture, like politically correct and social justice warrior, are rightwing, 4chan slogans/memes whose purpose is to discredit reform. Should we NOT cancel people who are homophobic, misogynist, racist, murderous and hateful? There are better targets for your outrage, OP. Like rightwing violence against gays, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 3:29 PM

There’s that “rightwing” again.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote]I'd like to cancel those who use these words to criticize progressive ideas:

[quote]Should we NOT cancel people who are homophobic, misogynist, racist, murderous and hateful?

There's nothing remotely "progressive" about it. It's racism and bigotry by another name. It's mob justice and mob-think. Just like "fascist Nazis", demonizing anyone who offers an unapproved opinion.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 3:37 PM

R10 Restate your point, it's not clear. There's nothing progressive about what?

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 3:42 PM

Its nothing more than a DISTRACTION

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 3:42 PM

Distraction from what?

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 3:45 PM

I think cancel culture is stupid, but it annoys me that it didn't become a problem until it started happening to straight white people.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 3:45 PM

The only people who don't embrace cancel culture are those who don't want to bear any responsibility for holding the opinions they do. They believe they should be able to be as hateful as they want to be and no one should call them on it. That's Fox News in a nutshell. The Gym Jordans, Josh Hawleys, Ted Cruzes, etc., of the world want to be able to espouse horrible opinions and receive no negative feedback for doing so. Well, if you're going to say something, you'd better also be willing to own the consequences of doing so. That is true whether your opinions are on the radical right or the left. It's about time that people start paying consequences for their actions.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 3:50 PM

"I agree you're free to say what you like. And you must agree I'm free to shoot you for saying it."

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 3:51 PM

Anyone who thinks cancel culture is solely a right-wing talking point should just look up “Rowling” on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 3:51 PM

In America we used to toss all the cancelled people to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote] It's as American as Apple Pie.

This is true. The advent of social media has exacerbated it in recent years, though. People who would never have had a platform to retaliate against someone on a large scale now have multiple online platforms with which to do so. Sometimes it's warranted. Sometimes it's not.

I admit, I love seeing someone who's an utter cunt get a taste of their own medicine, but I feel it's gone too far in some cases. Like people being cancelled today for saying something really stupid like 30 years ago. People seem eager to cancel immediately before bothering to see if the person has evolved over the past 30 years.

If we want to see an end to discrimination and hatred, we have to allow space for human beings to fuck up, learn, and grow. I'm not talking about the ones who are inherently overt racists or kiddy diddlers or otherwise actively harmful- cancel them. I mean the ones who make a random bad choice who are otherwise decent people. When people walk on eggshells with their every move and every word because they fear having their livelihood literally ripped out from under them overnight, that doesn't promote learning and growth-it promotes resentment and more hatred.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 3:52 PM

"Teacher- Ricky farted!"

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 3:59 PM

In the past people called it BOYCOTT, I believe. Now BOYCOTT would be too patriarchal, so it became CANCEL shit thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 4:04 PM

We have canal culture here in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 4:06 PM

It started off with good intentions, but then it devolved into a crab mentality. Small arguments over race , gender, and sexuality become struggle sessions where people must prostrate themselves in front of the new Gods. I'm not referring to bullshit celebrity gossip. I see this mentality in young people just staring their careers. Everyone is a snitch and a cop while pretending to be a saint. It's exhausting. This mentality runs deep in America. From race riots, the red scare, witch hunts, the satanic panic, Vietnam, Gay panic, the Iraq war, etc. It seemed to cool off in the 90s and 00s when the "right" Liberals were in control of the narrative. But it does feel like we are returning to tradition in a way and that post 1968 Liberalism is on the decline. Everything just seems so personal now. Before social media I could laugh at all the dumb rednecks who though Harry Potter was teaching their kids to be witches with some sense of distance and aloofness. Social media changed that.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]Social media changed that.

Not just there. Here too.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] Everyone is a snitch and a cop while pretending to be a saint.

That bugs me as well. Some active cancelers on social media have no room to be canceling anyone with the skeletons lurking in their closets.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 4:11 PM

I think Chrissy Teigen found that out the hard way, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 4:13 PM

People can't handle social media, but people also don't like to be held accountable for their actions. People used to stand up for what they believed in by speaking out and making their case, and they would say that if it got them fired or yelled at, that was fine, because they truly believed in their cause. Now people stand up for what they believe in by harassing people on Twitter or starting fake Facebook groups, then when they get banned, scream about free speech and how they're victims.

Incredibly wealthy and powerful people use social media to do everything from spout off about their own personal bigotries to organizing hate campaigns, mess with the stock market, push propaganda, tell lies, incite sedition, and only a small fraction of them face repercussions. A few lose their social media accounts, almost none get "cancelled," and those "cancellations" almost always mean they lose an endorsement, maybe, and trolls call them names for a while. That's it. Even the illegal stuff goes almost completely unpunished.

I can't be made to care about someone getting "cancelled" when I don't think I've seen a single person ever be unfairly cancelled. Ellie Kemper is close, she was just 19 when she went to that ball, and we'll see how it plays out, but everyone else either deserved to be cancelled or didn't really suffer any ill effects at all.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 4:15 PM

Customers used to use their money to hold businesses accountable. But now that so few companies control everything including the flow of information, it's become nearly impossible to hold them accountable. They, however, can banish anyone they want from their platform with no explanation. The fact that these businesses can control the narrative, silence debate (wuhan lab leak theory), and deny services to some while allowing it other far worse actors means that this system will eventually collapse.

Calling to defund political organizations that I find evil or destructive and recalling politicians who don't keep their promises are not cancel culture. I will argue that those who participate in those organizations and their family still have a right to earn a living. Those who are in the business of acting should be judged solely by their acting ability and not their political opinions. I don't think certain comedy is supposed to appeal to everyone but it should exist for those who want it. These latter things as well as the monopolistic power of organizations are the basis of cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 4:22 PM

OP, F*** you

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 4:58 PM

R6 No, Asia is not free. He says it’s very racist there. He gave me examples of racism that were pretty shocking. He has lived there for almost two decades and is now married to Chinese woman. He is no way thinks it’s “free.”

He DOES notice that the woke and cancel movements originating on Twitter have spread from the the US to Europe. He spends a lot of time in Europe, as his parents, other family lives there. I’m sorry if it offends you, but no, woke/cancel culture is not prevalent in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 5:10 PM

R10 is right.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 5:11 PM

R15 Do you think anyone who has an opinion different from yours should lose his corporate job?

Woke culture isn’t harmless and it isn’t about standing up to racists, homophones, etc. Everyone believes in that, everyone with half a brain, that is.

The problems like in situations like the one described below.

Should whites only write about white characters? Men only write male characters?

Ony Vietnamese open Vietnamese restaurants? You rarely see pizzarias own and operated by Italians in NYC these days, yet the pizza tastes fine.

If men can put on a dress and say they’re women, why can Rachel Dolzal braid her hair and say she’s black?

This whole movement if policing “micro aggressions” is asinine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 5:17 PM

Was the above author being “hateful?”

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote] standing up to racists, homophones, etc. Everyone believes in that,

Oh, I don’t no.

I tend to ball at the way hour society is so quick to fly into a rage and overdue it.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 5:22 PM

I think I can safely say that most people on this board are not friends with racists or homophobes. I do not know any, or if I do, I don’t know they are.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 5:25 PM

The church ladies never really went away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 5:31 PM

I sort of understand your point, R10. But people who want the society to stop tolerating, or even celebrating, hatred and demeaning language toward minorities are not the Khmer Rouge. We are much more in danger from rightwing dictatorship right now than we are from leftwing 'group-think.'

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 6:23 PM

What's hilarious to me is that the left wing people who are so progressive and are such harsh canceling types are really no different from the Tipper Gores or "Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?" evangelicals of yesterday. Having a different "ideal" behind your fascist like behavior doesn't change what it is.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 6:28 PM

R2 who screams about millennials is probably a Trumper who boycotted Nike and Colin Kaepernick

R38 as well.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2021 6:33 PM

R32, I don't lump everything you listed as being of equal problems. I agree that men should be able to write women characters and vice versa, people should be able to wear the clothing and hairstyles of other cultures, etc. Of course I don't think that everyone who has an opinion different than me should lose their corporate job.

I do think that people who wear the clothing and hairstyles of other cultures should be prepared to understand there may be a reaction that they should be prepared to address. And I am 100% fine with people espousing racist, sexist, homophobic, authoritarian, etc., world views being fired by their corporations if they corporation knows that it is harming the brand, even short-term.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2021 6:34 PM

R39 Thinking that everyone who disagrees with your opinion must be a Trump supporter is one of the worst things to happen to culture. I'm a very liberal young millennial who believes in freedom of speech and the ability to have discussions without resorting to threatening people's livelihoods over disagreements.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote] Thinking that everyone who disagrees with your opinion must be a Trump supporter is one of the worst things to happen to culture.

You can thank Russia with its Disinformation Troll farms for that. They create an environment where you can't properly discuss topics, because they are taken over by trolls to either push false information, get under people's skin / push their buttons, or end a civil discussion about the topic.

Cancel Culture, in its extreme practiced form, is an attempt to stop civil discourse, civil discussions, progress in general.

Do I think it's right for racists, homophobes, haters, conservatives, etc. to get hurt where it hurts them most (their wallets)? Yes, I do think that's absolutely right.

Do I think Liberal infighting is productive? No, I don't think so.

At the end of the day, we are all biased.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] It's about time that people start paying consequences for their actions.

Right. Like Colin Kaepernick facing the consequences of his protests? I'm sure you're super on board with that. People who love to say "cancel culture" is really "consequence culture" only seem to think those "consequences" are okay for people they don't like.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2021 7:47 PM

Colin Kaepernick was an average to below average quarterback. He would have been out of the NFL right now, anyways.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2021 7:51 PM

Another thing I don't like about cancel culture is that even the people who deserve to be cancelled are cancelled for the wrong reasons. Andrew Cuomo should be cancelled for being bad at his job and his handling of the pandemic, not because of vague allegations.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2021 8:13 PM

As a final death blow to irony, Senator Marsha Blackburn introduced a bill in the Senate today that would ban cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2021 8:15 PM

R40 “hateful speech” is now everything we don’t agree with.

Do you think JK Rowling was fairly accused as transphobic?

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2021 8:17 PM

R46 I don't think it's too far fetched personally. We're in era where we're constantly being surveilled, where the lines of free speech and political speech have become blurred, and where assumptions people had less than a decade ago are considered problematic.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2021 8:22 PM

It jumped the shark when plebs started using it to score petty disputes. Eg. This lady who wants her friends and followers to harass a hairdresser because she gave her kid a bad haircut. People go fire and brimstone over the dumbest shit on social media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] anyways

*sigh*

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2021 8:50 PM

White conservatives trying to "cancel" democracy by killing politicians and just go berserk if they lose an election, but that doesn't seem to bother the enablers who are more concerned with some rich cunt losing her talk show gig.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2021 8:52 PM

[quote]I can't be made to care about someone getting "cancelled" when I don't think I've seen a single person ever be unfairly cancelled.

You haven't looked very hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2021 9:27 PM

R52 people have their heads in the sand. Al Franken got taken down by a conservative mob.

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2021 9:32 PM

The real problem is that we are an adolescent culture (equivalent to a 12-14 years old is my guess) who have been given adult size tools in which to interact with the world. Of course we are going to fuck it up

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2021 9:41 PM

In our society, the few leads the many. And to prevent the masses from turning on the few we deal with distractions like cancel culture where we cancel each other or our opponents while the few stay in power. It's based on the good ol' strategy to pit one group against the other and use so-called plants (individuals who infiltrate a group) to cause infighting.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] The real problem is that we are an adolescent culture (equivalent to a 12-14 years old is my guess) who have been given adult size tools in which to interact with the world.

And in a surprising number of instances, there are literal adolescents leading cancellations. We need to find better ways to empower our youth.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2021 11:08 PM

Boris is a whore clogging up this site with BS about being “worke” and “cancel culture.” I wish that bitch Boris would get some new material.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2021 11:34 PM

Worke!

by Anonymousreply 58June 10, 2021 12:06 AM

Worke and Windy.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2021 12:07 AM

R43: People like Kapernick have always been cancelled. That's nothing new. And unlike some of these right wingers who lose a job but then go on wingnut welfare, he will likely never play football in this dumbass country every again. And I didn't see any of the cancel culture whiners defending Kapernick 4 years ago. Nor Chris Kluwe for standing up for gay rights. Everyone forgot about him. Only when right wing concerns started feeling some heat did the right wing media and commentators whip it up into this "new" moral panic. And when it all calms down, the very people crying about it today while go back to justifying it for uppity Negros like Kapernick and fag huggers like Kluwe because they're just bad football players, nothing to do with what they say.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2021 12:55 AM

R60, worse: Colin K is one of the few people who can *actually* claim that there was an attempt to violate his 1A/ Freedom of Speech, because that orange, fat cockroach who was "president" called for him to be fired. So the "govt" was attempting to violate his 1A rights.

by Anonymousreply 61June 10, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote]they're just bad football players

But they are.

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] Colin K is one of the few people who can *actually* claim that there was an attempt to violate his 1A/ Freedom of Speech, because that orange, fat cockroach who was "president" called for him to be fired.

That was a dumb move for sure but to be fair, Colin pissed off a hell of a lot more people than a few Twitter users. In the end, Colin was never really cancelled. He never would have made it as a football player but now he has a book, movie, and endorsements all because he managed to please the people who have more power than the president of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2021 2:48 AM

Right wingers have always lived and breathed cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2021 2:56 AM

R64 And now that the left has assumed all institutional power, they have become equally good purveyors of cancel culture as the right ever was. And it's made worse with social media.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2021 3:01 AM

[quotes]And now that the left has assumed all institutional power

News to us!

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2021 10:38 AM

[quote]And now that the left has assumed all institutional power

News to us!

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2021 10:38 AM

R52, Shor wasn't cancelled, he was criticized, and easily the biggest problem with cancel culture is that too many people refuse to distinguish between the two things. Shor's analysis about protests allowing Republicans to win was faulty, and that's being kind.

R53, Franken was accused by 8 women total including two Congressional aides. The first accusation was obvious GOP smear and not a legitimate complaint, but the complaint by Tina Dupuy couldn't be dismissed so easily. People lie about what happened with Franken and now the lie has become the truth, which is unfortunate. There's no way any Democratic senator with 8 active complaints against him could not resign. People say that Repigs don't resign so Democrats shouldn't either, but we don't want to be like the Repigs.

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2021 10:42 AM

[quote] Al Franken got taken down by a conservative mob.

Al Franken ALLOWED himself to be taken down by a conservative mob.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2021 10:57 AM

[quote][R52], Shor wasn't cancelled, he was criticized,

He was fired.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2021 11:03 AM

R64 and that makes it OK? I am against any cancelling, from the right banning JD Salinger for profanity to the left banning Shakespeare fro being a white male.

Bottom line: Cancel culture is terrible, no matter which political ideology pushes it.

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2021 12:02 PM

Someone wants to get rid off all of our culture and history. This is the start of the American Cultural Revolution, which when China had their’s, devastated China and they still haven’t recovered fully even today. I feel this is a train that has already left the station and there’s no stopping it.

by Anonymousreply 72June 10, 2021 12:07 PM

It’s group think and mob rule. That’s anti-American, period. Everyone must check with everyone else if their opinion is okay. These opinions must include: Israel is evil, Islam is good, white people are evil, trans women are women, etc.

by Anonymousreply 73June 10, 2021 12:10 PM

[quote] Al Franken got taken down by a conservative mob.

Honey, the far Left was screaming for his removal. Kristen Gillibrand?

by Anonymousreply 74June 10, 2021 12:11 PM

The irony of people on here being pro-cancel culture is that SJW would be calling for you to be fired from your jobs for even being associated with this web site.

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote] I do think that people who wear the clothing and hairstyles of other cultures should be prepared to understand there may be a reaction that they should be prepared to address.

Oh, do fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote]SJW would be calling for you to be fired from your jobs for even being associated with this web site.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2021 12:15 PM

[quote]These opinions must include: Israel is evil, Islam is good, white people are evil, trans women are women, etc.

And gay people are…what. Worse than whites.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2021 12:22 PM

I read things like gay white men are the most racist white people. I read that HERE, on this website.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2021 12:24 PM

Cancel culture is a meaningless phrase. It’s basically just consequences, no?

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2021 12:29 PM

R80 No. if you “cancel” Shakespeare, that means his work won’t be taught. Same with Salinger. Both are dead, they aren’t facing any “consqueneces.” Instead, kids are missing out.

You’re also assuming that the “consequences” match the “crime.” Example, does a high school girl who wears a cheongsam dress to her prom deserve the outpouring of online hatred she received?

How does it hurt anyone for this girl to wear that dress, a style she clearly admires? Why shouldn’t anyone care? Cultures have been incorporating the food, clothing, literature of other cultures into their one for centuries. It’s a GOOD thing.

Now we have people saying black people “invented” hoop earrings and dreadlocks, which isn’t accurate. It’s all so petty and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2021 12:41 PM

Lots of spelling errors above, need my glasses. Hope you get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2021 12:42 PM

[quote]It’s all so petty and stupid.

Just have to vote against it. Hopefully that works.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2021 12:46 PM

R83 Not sure how that would work. The most vehement proponents of cancelling aren’t politicians, they’re lonely women on Twitter with a lot of time on their hands.

What I have done is to limit my exposure to that foolishness. I don’t use Facebook or Twitter. But on this site, you can’t avoid those stories and they’re infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2021 12:52 PM

I'd like to point out this historical version: from the wiki. We have been here before and will be there again. All these are self inflicted wounds on the culture

Iconoclasm (from Greek: εἰκών, eikṓn, 'figure, icon' + κλάω, kláō, 'to break')[i] is the social belief in the importance of the destruction of icons and other images or monuments, most frequently for religious or political reasons. People who engage in or support iconoclasm are called iconoclasts, a term that has come to be figuratively applied to any individual who challenges "cherished beliefs or venerated institutions on the grounds that they are erroneous or pernicious."[4]

Conversely, one who reveres or venerates religious images is called (by iconoclasts) an iconolater; in a Byzantine context, such a person is called an iconodule or iconophile.[5] Iconoclasm does not generally encompass the destruction of the images of a specific ruler after his or her death or overthrow, a practice better known as damnatio memoriae. While iconoclasm may be carried out by adherents of a different religion, it is more commonly the result of sectarian disputes between factions of the same religion. The term originates from the Byzantine Iconoclasm, the struggles between proponents and opponents of religious icons in the Byzantine Empire from 726 to 842 AD. Degrees of iconoclasm vary greatly among religions and their branches, but are strongest in religions which oppose idolatry, including the Abrahamic religions.[6] Outside of the religious context, iconoclasm can refer to movements for widespread destruction in symbols of an ideology or cause, such as the destruction of monarchist symbols during the French Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2021 1:59 PM

...and the way around this is to incorporate these new symbols: the things and people that emerge out of the struggles within the culture, into the sacred/what is venerated. You expand the pantheon without removing the 'old gods'. When you mess with what people consider holy or tell them it isn't worthy --they will fight to keep it or fight to make it so.

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2021 2:09 PM

One more definition: Feel free to substitute cultural identity with the word religion. Syncretism /ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/ is the combining of different beliefs, while blending practices of various schools of thought. Syncretism involves the merging or assimilation of several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, thus asserting an underlying unity and allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths. Syncretism also occurs commonly in expressions of arts and culture (known as eclecticism) as well as politics (syncretic politics). tends to facilitate coexistence and unity between otherwise l-different cultures and world views (intercultural competence), a factor that has recommended it to rulers of multiethnic realms.

Conversely, the rejection of syncretism, usually in the name of "piety" and "orthodoxy", may help to generate, bolster or authenticate a sense of uncompromised cultural unity in a well-defined minority or majority.

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2021 3:26 PM

The problem with "cancel culture" is not that it punishes those that legitimately deserved it, but that there's a slippery slope, having unintended consequences. I have yet to see it translate to meaningful change, mostly going after random individuals, that were but a drop in the ocean, with no real power. It does nothing to solve things at their source. A hateful individual loses their job, but those cultivating that hate continue on (in the media, in politics, etc.) Let me know when they cancel corporations for abuse towards animals, their polluting, etc. I have yet to see the cancellation of Republicans that traded stocks while hiding covid info -- nor any dangerous Republican really. Just individual nobodies.

Really, how many people, that are pulling the strings, have yet to be cancelled? Musk was a pos during covid, but his ass is secure. Bezos isn't cancelled yet either for abusing employees. "It's about boycotting and holding people accountable" -- ohh really... let me know when you stop ordering from Amazon, or take down fox news, instead of some idiot that works in an office.

It can lead to companies having even more power over their employees, as if being chained to healthcare benefits wasn't bad enough. I'm not saying that someone caught screaming racist shit shouldn't be fired, they should (which is why it's tough to argue against CC, as if you're ok with these people) -- what I'm saying is that the practice of using jobs to punish individuals in general, is a trend that could become more troubling down the road. There's already been cases where it was iffy if it was justifiable to ruin someone.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2021 3:31 PM

Angry mob-bashing is right out of Ayn Rand and her hatred of "collectivism."

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2021 3:32 PM

R88 summed it up nicely. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2021 4:10 PM

R88 The discourse around cancel culture tends to focus on celebrities and politicians getting their just desserts, but it fails to is how cancel culture has trickled down to the commoners. The woke millennials I've come across share a lot of personality traits with the holier than thou conservatives I knew when I was growing up: unyielding, humorless, censorious, conceited, and unimaginative. These people don't really care about gays people. It's all moral vanity to prop themselves up. They will cast you out and call you a toxic cis gay male the moment you challenge them on something. I was loosely involved in a non-profit that was burned to the ground by such people.

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote] The problem with "cancel culture" is not that it punishes those that legitimately deserved it, but that there's a slippery slope, having unintended consequences. I have yet to see it translate to meaningful change, mostly going after random individuals, that were but a drop in the ocean, with no real power.

I mostly agree with you, R88, but I will say the threat of being cancelled has seriously impacted what many people say and do (especially celebrities or those in high profile positions). I know a lot of people who walk around on eggshells for fear of being cancelled by something taken out of context. It doesn't mean they actually change their beliefs and behaviors behind closed doors, but it does make them cautious (paranoid) about their public image. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it's definitely happening.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2021 4:51 PM

R92 It's bad. It's not just public figures, it's all artists who are being forced to self censor. I guess the intent is to change minds by changing the language. But that never works.

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] It's bad. It's not just public figures, it's all artists who are being forced to self censor. I guess the intent is to change minds by changing the language. But that never works.

Agreed, r93. The cancelled don't change their beliefs; they just grow more resentful. "Cancel Culture" will backfire the more it is used to cancel people willy nilly. I'm fine with those who do overt harm being cancelled - they deserve it; but it's become a mob of insecure people using it as a power trip to cancel otherwise good people who happen to say or do something stupid, usually out of ignorance rather than malice. These people need to be educated not cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2021 5:01 PM

I think it’s been suggested the $40,000 Robin Di Angelo presentations corporations require their employees to attend don’t work. No one wants to speak up and say they’re not a racist and risk being ostracized, so people just stay quiet and resentful.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2021 6:33 PM

R63, your opinion of Colin K doesn't matter. The govt in any form has no business ever attempting to silnce the speech of a citizen or express that they should be punished for it; that is a violation of his 1A rights.

I only wish Colin K would get a lawyer now and attempt to sue Trump for that attempt to violate his right. So Garland can defend Trump 🙄

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]These opinions must include: Israel is evil, Islam is good, white people are evil, trans women are women, etc.

You're such a fucking turd.

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2021 6:43 PM

A lot of these cancellers, people like Yashar Ali, are Debbie Downers who get off on power and like making people miserable. They don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Their intentions are not good.

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2021 6:50 PM

It’s about power for people who otherwise feel Powerless.

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] getting their just desserts,

Oh, dear!

[quote] which when China had their’s,

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2021 7:34 PM

Apparently leftists have been admitting that 'diversity training' doesn't work, R95.

One very prominent leftist YouTuber has described Robin diAngelo as a "cynical, corporate sellout whose primary interest is encouraging other corporations to get more diversity training. It doesn't work, it doesn't actually work that well in terms of the money invested".

by Anonymousreply 101June 10, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote] Apparently leftists have been admitting that 'diversity training' doesn't work

It's absurd to think that any training is going to put a stop to deeply rooted systemic racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. It's a start, but it's a scam to charge $40,000 for it and it's disingenuous to say, "I provided the diversity training, so we don't have diversity issues here any more."

by Anonymousreply 102June 10, 2021 8:05 PM

Diversity training pisses people off.

by Anonymousreply 103June 10, 2021 8:07 PM

We had a BLM series of talks were I work. Not mandatory, but I attended most because I was curious and open to learn. I would have felt annoyed bad it been required.

by Anonymousreply 104June 10, 2021 8:13 PM

Why wasn’t black Tranny activist Tranh cancelled when he admitted he raped a black woman (I mean, ‘trans man’) and impregnated her?

by Anonymousreply 105June 10, 2021 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!