Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chinese is not a race

Am I the only person getting tired of people conflating “The Chinese government covered a potential lab leak that lead to a worldwide pandemic” with “blaming China is racist”. For one, Chinese is not a race; two, this did originate out of China, so if the shoe fits wear it; and three, people in the back pocket of the CCP need to at a minimum keep their mouths shut.

Hate Trump all you want, but the Outrage Brigade would rather people die than tell the truth if it means avoiding someone being “offended”.

by Anonymousreply 61June 11, 2021 3:53 PM

Asian is a race and within that race each “ethnicity” is very different from the other. China and Japan should be considered two completely different races at this point.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2021 1:48 PM

I don’t know, OP, but I’m getting tired of people who don’t know the past tense of lead.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2021 1:51 PM

CCP . . . Community College of Philadelphia?

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2021 1:51 PM

OP - I believe the racist part comes from people blaming all Chinese and the anti-Asian attacks that have been happening.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2021 1:55 PM

R2 Tell me you’re gay without telling me you’re gay

R3 You really nailed that one👍

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2021 1:55 PM

Saying this pandemic started in China is not racist but beating up random Asian people because you think they are responsible for it is.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2021 1:56 PM

the Han Chinese consider themselves a race, and all minorities within and around them other "races"

the whole concept and idea of "race" is entirely political - always has been

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2021 1:57 PM

R6 The media’s job is to report the news and tell the truth; it’s not to hedge and contort the truth to avoid the appearance of racism. Let law enforcement worry about hate crimes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2021 2:30 PM

R8: Who is contorting? You said like a racist right winger crying about "librul media won't tell the truff about China virus". I suggest you reevaluate your understanding of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2021 2:51 PM

R7 because it’s the truth.

That was the case in Europe once upon a time too. The idea they all viewed each other as the same is one of the greatest lies ever told. “White” and “black” aren’t races either.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2021 2:59 PM

Han Chinese people would disagree with you that Chinese is not a race, OP.

Anyway, the idea of race is just a social construct, so it’s a race If the society considers it one, and the Chinese themselves definitely do.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2021 3:00 PM

Most non-East Asians can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. When you're targeting hate towards the Chinese, everyone that looks East Asian gets targeted. That said, China doesn't give two fucks about racial sensitivity, but are happy to use the West's (and America in particular) sensitivity on the matter to skirt legitimate criticism of their country regarding COVID.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote] Hate Trump all you want, but the Outrage Brigade would rather people die than tell the truth if it means avoiding someone being “offended”.

Aren't you supposed to say "I'm a liberal Democrat but...."

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2021 3:06 PM

So, my usage of the phrase "The Yellow Peril" is wrong?

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2021 3:08 PM

R13: Yep. That's clearly the script being passed out, misdirection trolling. "I'm totally one of you, but we really should make common cause with those would kill us because this other group over there is so much WORSE". And how does determining where the virus comes from kill people? It's out there, no matter where it originated. You China Cold War trolls are BEYOND stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2021 3:10 PM

[Quote] Most non-East Asians can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans.

It is very easy to understand the physical differences. I learned from a Chinese guy in LA in 1970. The Chinese guy instructed me and my Japanese buddy on the differences. My buddy's family had been here for many generations and he never cared.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2021 3:11 PM

Tell us more round-eye OP.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2021 3:14 PM

R9 The media acted like it was the height of racism to suggest this had something to do with China. Trump was called a racist for saying Wuhan flu. People got banned from social media for suggesting it was due to a lab leak.

Now—conveniently since Trump is out of office—people are admitting there’s validity to the lab leak theory, they’re admitting China knew about the leak but stonewalled on giving information. The excuse given was that putting too much onus on China was leading to anti-Asian sentiment.

My point is, it’s not the media’s job to avoid telling the truth, especially about something this serious, because somebody might target a random Asian person. Plus, not to sound too MAGA, but they didn’t mind trying to work people into a lather over suggesting Trump knew about COVID and did nothing. So if we hate Trump for bungling the pandemic, it’s fine. If we blame China for actually doing it, it’s racism.

Doesn’t make sense, which is of course why you’ve bought into it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2021 3:18 PM

[BOLD] O P

I S

A

T R O L L

[ITALIC] He's only going to keep on trolling you Eldergays and you're not going to convince him of anything.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 3:21 PM

Agree, r16. Chinese/Japanese are rather easy to tell apart.

I think Vietnamese look the most distinct.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 3:22 PM

R15 Oh fuck you, you gaslighting tool. They blamed Trump because it seemed like he didn’t take COVID seriously for three weeks. You can do a two minute Google search and find people blaming him for hundreds of thousands of deaths, as if he was too busy golfing to look into that whole coronavirus thing. The only reason people aren’t still saying it now is because the propaganda worked and he lost the election, and the reason for this thread, which is that people are starting to admit China’s culpability. I doubt you’ll hear too much concern trolling about possible anti-Asian sentiment now, because it’s been validated by the mainstream media. When it was just Trump and Tom Cotton saying it, it was just another racist crackpot conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 3:23 PM

Chinese is the ethnicity and culture. Asian is the race.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote]R2 Tell me you’re gay without telling me you’re gay

Is that supposed to be an insult? You do know where you are, right?

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2021 3:26 PM

R19 I really wish the mods would start banning the fucking message board hall monitors who constantly call someone a troll who dares to say anything nice about Trump (and this isn’t about him, but I’m just saying). Anytime someone has something to say they isn’t your typical bitchy catty center-left rhetoric, here comes the fucking ghostbusters. Please go take a fucking Atavan and relax. Just because i have a more nuanced understanding of politics besides saying Trump sucks doesn’t mean I’m turning this board into FreeRepublic.com.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2021 3:30 PM

[quote]Asian is the race.

So Chinese and Iranians are the same race?

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2021 3:36 PM

Iranians are white-adjacent

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2021 3:37 PM

R21/R24: Except you are, like a troll. Your post at R21 DEFENDS Trump who DID NOTHING about the pandemic. We know what happened and Trump IS responsible. You will NOT come on here and say otherwise. The only GASLIGHTING going on here is your NAZI ass rewriting history and fomenting anti-Chinese racism and then crying LIKE A BITCH that I and others are rightfully calling your lying, bigoted, right wing ass out for it. BTW, The Mods? If you were actually gay and actually posted here like a regular, it's Muriel, you stupid trolly cunt. God you losers just tell on yourselves every fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] Now—conveniently since Trump is out of office—people are admitting there’s validity to the lab leak theory, they’re admitting China knew about the leak but stonewalled on giving information. The excuse given was that putting too much onus on China was leading to anti-Asian sentiment.

This is untrue. Experts aren’t saying it’s a valid theory, just that it should be investigated. No one is saying that China knew about a leak except the “news” OP ha found while “doing his own research.”

Secondly, the GQP has been given their marching orders. The three issues that will be drilled into their base’s heads are: 1)Fauci bad 2)Critical race theory bad 3)China bad. I hope OP (and R24) realize that when people call him a troll it’s not that we think he’s being paid to post these things but rather he’s a useful idiot who has been weaponized through online propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2021 3:49 PM

Hall monitor on meth at R27. It’s making Datalounge look bad.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2021 3:55 PM

R29: Yeah, I and other actual gay regulars who are standing up to gaslighting revisionist trolls are making Datalounge look bad, not the actual trolls and their apologists like you.

I guess today is projection trolling Wednesday on DL. Will tomorrow be concern troll Thursday?

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]Chinese is not a race

Of course not, it is a cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2021 4:07 PM

The Chinese is very racist and they hate other Chinese who happen to have darker skin tone. They even consider dark-skinned Chinese a jinx and a very untrustworthy group of people.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2021 4:12 PM

r32 = Wang Lianxi, posting from Xingtai

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2021 4:13 PM

Why is this a thread? I don’t understand how this is relevant or newsworthy for the purpose of the website, or for the intended users of the site - why is this website turning into some race themed message board wtf

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2021 4:14 PM

R23 Yes, I’m well aware. It’s just that critiquing someone’s grammar when they’re clearly making a serious point —a point I’m guessing you don’t agree with— is kinda bitchy, kinda catty, which is stereotypical of a gay man. Hence my post.

R27 I rest my case. Again: please get help.

R28 You’re being contrary. “Experts aren’t saying it’s a valid theory, they’re just saying it should be investigated”? That...means it’s a valid theory. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And that’s not the point and I suspect you know this...you can’t say something is a lie and come back later and say it’s correct. They’re just covering their asses at this point to hold on to some credibility because they spent all last writing checks when they labeled this a conspiracy theory.

It’s funny because the anti-Trump criss does way more actual trolling than someone like me. This is a forum in which to share ideas and opinions. Trolling isn’t “someone gave an opinion I dislike and when I attacked them over it they called me out”. Trolling is when you’re just trying to agitate for the sake of confusion and discord. Trolling is attacking people and getting super animated over meta conversations instead of addressing actual points. You cannot hate the idea of propaganda when you’re nothing but a good sport for Democrat/left-wing propaganda, but the second someone breaks from that you accuse them of trolling.

R30 LOL, you really are delusional. The only thing making DL look bad is having gay men be this pressed over the mere mention of Trump.

R34 Why did you post in it if you don’t understand the purpose of it? GTFO if you don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2021 4:16 PM

R33 = fattard posting from her dumpy trailer in a shithole state of Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2021 4:16 PM

R34: It's been bad all week. But we are getting to them, witness the troll OP meltdown above about "the mods". It's funny when they get tilted and accuse long timers of being "gaslighting tools".

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Do work on your English syntax, r36

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2021 4:18 PM

Didn’t even read your response before I blocked you, R27/R30. Save it for the men in the white suits, there’s a girl :)

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2021 4:18 PM

OP is a Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote]Of course not, it is a cuisine.

Chinese is not just [bold]a[/bold] cuisine.

It's several cuisines.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2021 4:20 PM

As a Trans Asian I am my own race. Respect my journey!

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2021 4:24 PM

R39: Yes, a bowl of white mints can refresh a girl after afternoon tea. When you unzip the white suits, does a black cock emerge?

The above statement makes about as much sense as what you posted, R39. I guess meth is a hell of drug....

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2021 4:27 PM

Human ethnic groups can look different from each other; skin color, hair, eyes, etc. Those variances come from the geographical isolation of the past and varying climates and geography which also influence religious and cultural variations. As we interbreed and cultures blend, a more universal human emerges.

Underneath the visual differences our hearts and brains function similarly and the basic human traits are found in all of us in varying degrees. From there, among all races and cultures, the differences among families and individuals can vary wildly, witness a craven, depraved individual like trump growing up in the vicinity of a decent person like Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote] It’s just that critiquing someone’s grammar when they’re clearly making a serious point —a point I’m guessing you don’t agree with— is kinda bitchy, kinda catty, which is stereotypical of a gay man.

Oh, yeah. You forgot where you were.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2021 4:52 PM

As a Trans Asian who spent many years trapped in the body of a Caucasian, I can attest to the fact that it is NOT the same!

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2021 4:54 PM

R35, experts aren’t saying the lab leak theory should be investigated because it’s likely to be true but because they now see it as necessity to put these conspiracy theories to rest.

Experts in corona virus research are in agreement that the knowledge and technology to engineer this virus doesn’t exist and that the novel way in which it acts was not something that science was aware of before it came into human transmission. That is unless you’re suggesting that the notoriously unimaginative Chinese science community somehow because much more advanced than the Americans overnight.

In the end, this isn’t about China or coronavirus, but about you being but hurt because the vast majority of this board doesn’t want you and your lies here and the people who share your political beliefs and believe those lies think your a filthy pervert and don’t want you either.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2021 4:56 PM

"Race" is a saying, not to always be taken absolutely literally.

Like, Kids aren't really napping during a kidnapping.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote] Most non-East Asians can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans.

East Asians themselves aren't always able to tell either. Especially Korean vs Chinese. Plus a lot of Vietnamese are ethnically Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2021 5:12 PM

That’s why we need to go back to Chinaman or Oriental, since they were all-encompassing terms. Today if you ask someone where they are from, they tell you the city they live in. If you ask their ethnic heritage, you’re a racist. If you refer to them as Asian, you are accused of being culturally insensitive.

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2021 5:19 PM

As an example, let’s say you have a work friend named Xong. He is obviously of Asian descent and speaks with an accent that indicates English is not his first language.

One day during lunch, attempting attempting to befriend him to find out more about him, you ask him casually where he is from. He responds, “Bakersfield”. You clarify and ask what country he is from originally, and he asks why does it matter. You drop the subject. Later that year, your company is discussing diversity and someone refers to Xong as Asian. Xong gets upset and clarifies he is Vietnamese, not “Asian”.

I have lived abroad and when someone asked me where I was from, I just told them. But here, people automatically assume racist intent. Obviously this isn’t everyone, but a lot of people can be very cagey when discussing their background, and it makes things unnecessarily complicated.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2021 5:39 PM

It's not a race - it's a wace.

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2021 5:46 PM

R51 in America as an immigrant you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If you try celebrate your past cultural heritage you’re accused of not trying to assimilate and aren’t seen as a real American. If you try to downplay where you’re from and stress your new American identity you’re accused of being “upset”, “cagey” and “ unnecessarily complicated.”

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2021 5:48 PM

OP is a jackass. So we can't tell the truth and be sensitive at the same time? Wow, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2021 5:49 PM

Asian is an actual race?

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2021 5:50 PM

R54: OP is the one who had the meltdown about the mods. She's a Trump supporting piece of shit who is trolling and gaslighting about how Trump responded last spring. And then projects that onto those who are calling her ass out. I hope the 50 cents she made to post her unhinged ramblings was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2021 6:09 PM

Are Tibetans East Asian? The Plateau is in a weird space that isn’t really Central or South or East. Gorgeous people regardless.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2021 6:40 PM

Which ones love you long time?

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2021 8:16 PM

The so horny ones, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 59June 10, 2021 1:44 AM

The Americans need to fucking get over themselves. Worldwide issues are mot exclusively american issues and the anti-asian shit isn't exclusive to your united states. And when I say American I mean the way too left they're now right wing wokescold.

by Anonymousreply 60June 10, 2021 3:34 AM

r8, why are you replying to my post? Doesn't relate to what I said.

by Anonymousreply 61June 11, 2021 3:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!