Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Politicized "Mask Wars" May Never End

Oh America, you dumb bitch.

Masks have been divisive from the start, and even though the pandemic appears to be nearing its end in much of the United States, mask-related divisions remain as wide as ever. Those divisions could persist for months to come, or even for years, given the tremendous passions these flimsy little objects have continued to excite.

“Because masks have been so politicized, I think the battle will be ongoing,” Dr. Lucy McBride, a pediatrician in Washington, D.C., told Yahoo News. “For some people, masks symbolize oppression; for others, they signify the ability to control the uncontrollable.”

Masking did not immediately emerge as a culture war issue, but it is doubtless here to stay. Conservative media outlets have been criticizing Dr. Anthony Fauci for days because an email from February 2020 seemed to have him saying that masks don’t really work.

The claim — that Fauci knew masks were ineffective — is false because it erases a crucial context: Everyone was uncertain about what masks were for and who was supposed to wear them and where. Fauci was merely reflecting scientific opinion, the uncertainty of the early days of the pandemic, when the mask was forged as a symbol of either sound science and citizenship or, on the other hand, government overconfidence and overreach.

That wouldn’t have been obvious in March 2020, when lockdowns first went into effect. It wasn’t until early April that New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy put in place the nation’s first state-level mask mandate. By then, the coronavirus had been spreading across the country for four months.

All great culture war issues are psychological as much as they are political. They fire up the moral imagination, turning otherwise ordinary people into fierce partisans. Nor is the magnitude of those passions necessarily tied to real-world developments and trends. The nation’s abortion rate has been dropping for years, but few cultural issues so readily animate conservatives and progressives alike.

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco, told Yahoo News that she thinks masks will stick around, in some form, “for a long time,” perhaps the next two years. They won’t be mandated again, she said, but that could only exacerbate matters, pitting people who want to keep wearing masks against those who see them as a pointless virtue signal. Heavy-handed though they may have been, government mandates took pressure off individuals.

Liberals don’t want to forget the pandemic because they don’t want to forget all the racial and economic inequalities it exposed, the politicians it showed to be selfish or foolish, the institutions it revealed to be broken. A recent column for Vice, the news outlet popular among millennials, argued that people were still wearing masks because they were “traumatized.”

That’s precisely the sentiment that infuriates conservatives, who think the harms of the pandemic have been overstated. That’s not to say they don’t believe that the pandemic was real or that it killed thousands of people. Rather, they argue that the economic and psychological effects of locking up were too great. The fervor of Tucker Carlson’s anti-mask diatribe in late April was a sign of just how deeply masks are associated with the caution-first approach to the pandemic — and just how deeply that approach bothers some.

It could take years to fully litigate the pandemic from its many cultural and political angles. The wounds of cultural grievance run deep on both sides, and they are likely to remain even after businesses pull down mask-related fliers once and for all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2021 6:03 PM

More both sides nonsense from the idiot pres. Conservatives want to clap their hands and magically wish away all the bad things. So they whip their morons up into a santorumy forth over masks by lying about "freedom" when its just selfishness and pretending all the problems don't exist. Instead, this shity article presents it as 2 sides disagreeing. Oh hum. America, you dumb bitch indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 5:01 PM

I live in Georgia where from the beginning of this pandemic half of the population have never worn a mask or social distanced. Fuck them all. I will I continue wearing my mask forever because these mouth breathing I breeds stink and are just fucking nasty . They give me mean looks for wearing a mask. I give them a loathing, withering look in return. It keeps them away from me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2021 5:08 PM

R2& In breeds.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2021 5:09 PM

Oh, dear! Inbreeds. Posting while pissed off, lol.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2021 5:12 PM

First rule of war is divide and conquer. We are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2021 5:12 PM

Most of the people in my (blue state) area are still masking up. Every once in awhile, I'll see some old, obviously poor, white person complaining about wearing one. It's ALWAYS impoverished old white people bitching about ~their rights~. Die then, losers. Literally no one will miss you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2021 5:12 PM

Know I truly get the meaning of the saying " Too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2021 5:18 PM

I just love the people who act like wearing masks is some terrible burden. Bitch...it's a minor inconvenience.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 5:23 PM

R8- Mindless idiots who are unable or unwilling to think for themselves. The very worst ones are those who think they have a right to tell ME not to wear one. GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 5:30 PM

R6 But here is the thing. Mask mandates are done. Everyone who wants to be vaccinated by now, is. It is now about the people who refuse to get vaccinated more than it is about masks. The same people who, at the beginning of this, were like “Masks aren’t political - trust the science, listen to the CDC!!” are the same people who are holding onto wearing a mask for political and cultural reasons now that the mandates have been dropped. So, which is it?

I have diligently double-masked since the beginning of this. Got vaccinated as soon as I could. Now? Im done with the mask. Why? Because I have consistently trusted the science, listened to the experts since the beginning and they have told me to drop my mask now that I am vaccinated. I live in Michigan where there are lots of deplorables. I am running the risk of getting side-eyed by masked liberals who demand to know where I stand politically by holding on to this mask mandate for dear life, even though the experts have spoken. So be it. Cases are falling. Vaccines are here. Boosters will be here too. So when do we allow The End of this to begin? I’m not judging anyone for continuing to wear a mask, but I am saying at this point, I am done.

People don’t want this thing to end because it has been the fuel to express the roiling undercurrent of misanthropy everyone in this country has stewed in for the past decade or so. It has opened the gates for hate, judgement and contempt to be expressed outwardly and frankly, I think this miserable country full of miserable people are reveling in it too much to allow it to end.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 5:55 PM

I have no problem with vaccinated people not wearing a mask. They should also have no problem if I wish to wear one. There are too many unknowns with this virus and we have been given very misleading info already. Until I am sure that the vaccine protects against the new strains I will wear one. I may not feel safe until I get a booster shot, idk. Also, the overpopulation has me wanting to continue to mask up . The second pandemic is right around the corner. I did not go through this hell and survive to be unprepared for the next one.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 6:24 PM

I did my part and wore a mask before being vaccinated. Now that I've had my shots, I'm done. Unless a specific threat is identified that requires me to put a mask back on, I'm done with them.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 6:29 PM

I was about to post something similar to what R10 wrote.

They don't want to hear it or refuse to see it, but the people who are still clinging to masks are no better than the people who refused to wear masks when they were mandated.

You can't say "trust the science" and then when it no longer suits your needs, stop trusting the science without people pointing out the hypocrisy.

If you want to continue wearing your mask, then by all means, continue wearing your mask and be happy and live a wonderful life. But just know that you are no better than those idiots who refused to wear a mask when they were required.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 6:31 PM

R13 Exactly my point. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 6:35 PM

Yes I am. That is ridiculous. I am doing this because I choose to. For many reasons, overpopulation being the main one.. I am not and did not make this political, the trump sociopaths did. They love this. They cause anarchy. They do not and will not dictate how I live my life.

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 6:39 PM

I wear a mask in stores/ubers/where mandated, but I enjoy being outside now. I'll hold onto my masks though. Could be useful during cold and flu season.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 6:39 PM

R15 was meant for R12.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 6:39 PM

No, there is not an equivalence between people who may unnecessarily wear masks and those who refuse to do so regardless of the need. I don’t know what is wrong with someone who would be bothered by someone else wearing a mask. It’s like flipping out about a guy wearing a condom to jerk off.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote]overpopulation being the main one

So, you were wearing masks before the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote]But just know that you are no better than those idiots who refused to wear a mask when they were required.

This is ridiculous on its face.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 6:46 PM

R19- No, but I damn well will now. You can do as you like. But it is my right to do the same. It doesn't affect you in the least if I wear a mask. Actually, it is none of your damn business what I choose to do as along as I am not hurting anyone

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 6:46 PM

I wear my mask in stores and where mandated.

I don’t understand the people who are driving their cars and walking down the street with them on though.

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 6:48 PM

R22, it’s about not having a mask dangling around for use. I sometimes drive masked because I know I will need it when I get to the store. Really doesn’t bother me.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 6:50 PM

My neighbor refuses to give them up because he never has to wear his dentures now, lol!

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 6:51 PM

R21 Anyone who is not wearing a mask at this point is not tied up in whether you are or not. Its the ones still wearing masks and painting others who are not as conservatives or trumpers. Those who are not wearing them now are not giving a shit what you do.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 6:52 PM

R24 He must be a datalounger, masks are great for the old and fug.

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 6:53 PM

Wearing a mask..is like wearing a rubber…..it’s not what you necessarily want to do….it’s what you should do ..just to be safe

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 6:55 PM

I think he may be gay, but that is why he is so adorable to me. Witty, clean, great stories. I check on him daily and have become very attached to him. I am dying to look in his closet for a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 6:56 PM

As long as there are stupid, gullible people ready to believe anything they hear, the mask thing is merely a beginning of the coming conflict. I was in the local pharmacy and there was an old man sitting in a chair ready to get his vaccine. He said to the pharmacist, loud enough for the entire pharmacy to hear," You know the virus was manufactured in China. Yep, they perfected it, but you know who financed it? The good old USA. Yep, the taxpayers paid China to develop the virus. We paid." The pharmacist said loud enough for the store to hear," In order for the vaccine to work, you have to stop talking and stick out your arm. Then, you aren't allowed to talk for fifteen minutes. after fifteen minutes, you have to leave the store." I love her. She must deal with a lot of stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 6:57 PM

was it manufactured in China?,,,,that certainly seems like a horrible thing to do.. Are they capable of something that horrendous?

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2021 7:00 PM

They thrive here in Georgia. Sigh. I hear the most unbelievable conspiracy theories. They MUST talk out loud and proudly share them with everyone, just hoping, I think for someone to disagree with them . They love to fight.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2021 7:02 PM

If you are fully vaccinated and are still wearing a mask, then you have politicized mask wearing and you are just like the Trumpers you hate.

by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2021 7:02 PM

Thank you ^

by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2021 7:07 PM

But I don’t want to get a fucking facelift.

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote]I live in Michigan where there are lots of deplorables. I am running the risk of getting side-eyed by masked liberals

How ever will you bear the trauma?

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2021 7:08 PM

R32- No, you are doing that. Right now. It will not work with me. What I do and why I do it is my fucking business. I am not hurting anyone by wearing a mask. If you do not like it, too bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2021 7:08 PM

R36 Honey absolutely no one cares if you wear a mask, you just sound and look paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2021 7:10 PM

R32- In what world does your useless opinion matter? Who made you a political expert on this subject? Why can't people like you just live and let live? You just MUST keep conflict and division going , mustn't you? Fuck off you little know nothing nobody.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]What I do and why I do it is my fucking business. I am not hurting anyone by wearing a mask. If you do not like it, too bad for you.

And you don't see how that sounds exactly like the Trumpers from last year who said almost, verbatim, what you wrote except it was about NOT wearing masks?

And for the record, I wore the mask when I was supposed to. Now that I'm fully vaxxed and the mandates have been lifted, I no longer wear masks because I trust science. I don't care if you continue to wear a mask, do what you want. Bu you are a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2021 7:18 PM

I don't understand, I'm fully vaccinated, but wear a mask in stores etc. I loved not having allergies flare up, or a cold last year. I don't care what other people do, I mind my own business, but will continue to wear a mask likely seasonally for that. No one should give a fuck if I do so.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2021 7:19 PM

I'm fully vaccinated and I took mine off for the first time today. It felt weird.

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2021 7:21 PM

R39- The pandemic is ending. Masks do not matter as far as getting covid. So if I wear one I am not hurting anyone. You sociopaths just want to keep the division going, to keep dividing us. I see you, you filthy piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2021 7:21 PM

1. I love this thread because I was just trying to teach my daughter to respond "you stupid bitch" or "dumb bitch" to bullies who the school won't control.

2. There are reasons to keep wearing a mask. You or someone in your party might be immunocompromised. You might be the nervous sort. You might be scared because we don't know everything about the variants. My very smart nephrologist told me to keep wearing it when around people whose vaccine status I don't know. Chill, people. We do trust science but we also like to be overly careful.

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 7:22 PM

R40, isn’t it more likely that your good health during the pandemic was a function of being around fewer people? Perhaps also not engaging in public transportation?

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 7:22 PM

I like wearing mask coz it hides my weak chin and jowls.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 7:26 PM

It was nice to not get colds, sore throats, the flu. In Japan they wear masks in public. We all should now, imo. It is a healthy preventive measure against illness and spreading sickness. If others do not want to that is and should be their decision. If I choose to that is mine.

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 7:27 PM

R44 Don’t you slyly try to introduce logic into this. We must remain diligently hysterical, don’t you know!

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 7:28 PM

It isn't logic, it is trying to push your wishes on others and you have no right to do that. You smugly state your opinion as if it some brilliant logic and everyone should be impressed. You aren't impressive. You are simply a bully.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 7:31 PM

And not a very bright one. It is too early to go out in public without a mask.

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2021 7:33 PM

If I recall correctly, masks were about keeping your germs from others. I guess at some point that message got twisted.

[quote]You sociopaths just want to keep the division going, to keep dividing us. I see you, you filthy piece of shit

You can call me all the names you want. I'm not trying to divide anybody. I have said numerous times that if people want to wear masks, then continue to do so. My issue is ultimately about what is really at place here. This has gone beyond health and safety.

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2021 7:34 PM

I'm fully vaccinated. I'm going to continue wearing them on public transit. Even if the mask mandate is lifted on airplanes I'm going to continue wearing one in flight. I caught a couple of nasty infections over the last three years on planes. And, it was really great not catching a cold or the flu or covid the last 15 months.

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2021 7:35 PM

They still don't know how long the vaccine will last. It could start surging again around July, 6 months after people started getting vacineated.

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] And not a very bright one. It is too early to go out in public without a mask.

LOL.

Last night I went to a large supermarket here in Brooklyn that for the past week or two has had a sign on their front door saying “Masks required unless you are fully vaccinated.” It was weird to me to shop somewhere without a mask for the first time in 15 months, but I felt good doing it. Rebellious, even.

I truly don’t understand the paranoia fully vaccinated people have about dropping the masks. I get it if you’re elderly, immunocompromised, an organ transplant patient, or an obese person for whom the vaccine might not be as effective as it is in healthy people. You might want to wait until the level of transmission in your community is near zero (guess what, though—it’s already very very low and will likely never get to zero). But for everyone else, including young, fit people—they can’t all be immunocompromised.

And if you’re worried because you merely *know* someone who’s immunocompromised, do you not believe you’re fully protected against the disease and the transmission of it? Fully vaccinated people do not transmit the virus, unless you’re one of the unlucky aforementioned few for whom the vaccine doesn’t work.

But that just makes me wonder, what did the immunocompromised do BEFORE Covid-19? We didn’t all wear masks to protect them then. We also didn’t constantly wear masks during flu season to protect them and children from the flu. And just what percentage of the population is immunocompromised, anyway?

I’m looking forward to masks going away completely. Normal people, especially physically attractive people—the types I would want to look at or talk to or try to hook up with—are going to be dropping the masks everywhere they can as soon as the mandates are fully lifted. And that can’t come soon enough. I am ready to fuck and suck. The rest of you illogical freaks, I don’t want to look at you anyway.

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote] They still don't know how long the vaccine will last. It could start surging again around July, 6 months after people started getting vacineated.

Another person who doesn’t follow the latest dat and reporting.

The vaccine triggers response from T and B cells that should last years. It is unlikely that the vaccines will stop working next work, or that we’ll experience a surge of new cases.

by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2021 7:45 PM

The fascist right are using the pandemic to cause division in this country. It has worked well for them. I have had to shop, go to the doctor with people who refused to wear a mask in the very beginning of the pandemic. They literally put my life in danger and caused me to have to suffer unnecessary anxiety and fear on top of the hell we were already suffering. Anyone who wants to judge me for choosing to continue to wear a mask can just fuck right off. I am so sick of you people causing more strife, as if the fucking world isn't burning down right now. This is what you focus on? We have a fascist government, climate change, the rich destroying us. But THIS RIGHT HERE is your concern?

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2021 7:45 PM

Jesus, I need my reading glasses: “latest DATA and reporting”, “it is unlikely that the vaccines will stop working next month”

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2021 7:46 PM

And? Will the fact that I continue wear a mask change that? Will it be an insult to your fragile ego? How will it change the fucking world?

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2021 7:49 PM

R53

Wearing a mask is often a political statement, necessary or not.

by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2021 7:50 PM

Also, what if, just what if, you are wrong? Hmm? If I am, no big deal. But if YOU are very big deal. Leave people alone. People like you are fucking insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2021 7:51 PM

Are people really still fighting about this? Me and most of my friends have chosen to be vaccinated and we rarely wear masks any more because the risk is so low (currently estimated at 0.4% chance of catching COVID once vaccinated; 2.0% of 0.4% chance of dying after catching COVID once vaccinated.) We certainly do not judge anyone who is still choosing to wear a mask. I actually couldn't care less if people want to wear one, and I literally know of no one in a situation similar to mine who feels differently.

Anyone who is currently judging people for wearing masks are the same deplorables who have been anti-mask from the beginning. Nothing has changed, so why let it bother you. Who cares what deplorables think of your mask?

by Anonymousreply 60June 8, 2021 7:52 PM

I wore one when we needed one and I don’t wear one now that I don’t (unless I’m required to, for some reason). Why are so many people against logic?

by Anonymousreply 61June 8, 2021 7:53 PM

New Yorkers seem to be s l o o o o o w w w w l l l l y y y letting go of their masks, outdoors at least.

After 14 months of sheer terror I've managed to relax into a masked inside/maskless outside routine. Carry the mask as needed, which doubles as a visual shorthand that I'm vaccinated and not an infection threat (as opposed to just being an asshole covidiot).

The mouth-breathing goomahs in my gym dutifully wipe down every piece of equipment with sanitizer after each set, unmasked. It's almost funny.

by Anonymousreply 62June 8, 2021 7:54 PM

R60- Thank you. It is baffling why anyone would care if someone else wears a mask.

by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2021 7:55 PM

It still isn't as certain as you say r56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 8, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote] Anyone who is currently judging people for wearing masks are the same deplorables who have been anti-mask from the beginning.

I promise you that is not the case. Those anti-mask deplorables are not vaccinated now. This is about getting fully vaccinated, and then following the science and data that says you can drop the mask once vaccinated. As the goddamn CDC and Biden have already told us.

I wore a mask dutifully for 15 months. I never doubted any of it. But now, we have the vaccine, and it fucking works. Mask no longer needed. Do not want to wear it now that it’s 90 degrees out and I am neither at risk of infection nor a vector for transmission.

R62, you made that comment about wiping down the gym equipment before. Which gym in NYC doesn’t require a mask? I personally would hope they’d use the Excelsior Pass at the entrance. I cannot imagine working out in a gym with a mask on.

by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2021 8:00 PM

Totally with you on all counts r65.

by Anonymousreply 66June 8, 2021 8:05 PM

R53 It is because the sanctimonious pseudo-intellects move goal posts when the Drs and experts, whom they clearly feel they know better than, release guidelines that don’t align with their agenda, which at it’s core is political, even though they will fight tooth and nail that it is not.

by Anonymousreply 67June 8, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote]The fascist right are using the pandemic to cause division in this country. It has worked well for them. I have had to shop, go to the doctor with people who refused to wear a mask in the very beginning of the pandemic. They literally put my life in danger and caused me to have to suffer unnecessary anxiety and fear on top of the hell we were already suffering. Anyone who wants to judge me for choosing to continue to wear a mask can just fuck right off. I am so sick of you people causing more strife, as if the fucking world isn't burning down right now. This is what you focus on? We have a fascist government, climate change, the rich destroying us. But THIS RIGHT HERE is your concern?

I read this, and I truly feel for this person. This reads to me like someone who has been to war. I am just an anonymous voice on a message board, but I hope you talk to someone. This sounds to me like something far greater than a simple mask.

by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote] "Anyone who is currently judging people for wearing masks are the same deplorables who have been anti-mask from the beginning." I promise you that is not the case. Those anti-mask deplorables are not vaccinated now.

So, you're saying that fully vaccinated people who choose not to wear masks are giving the side-eye to anyone still wearing a mask, r65? I haven't seen this personally, but maybe that's the case in some places. If it is, I agree it's stupid. Why should they care?

by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2021 8:13 PM

R68- You have no idea what hell it is to have to live among them. Here in the south the far right are dangerous, unstable people who are armed to the teeth. They worship trump. You never know when they might just open fire on everyone.

by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2021 8:14 PM

That makes sense, R70. I sympathize with anyone who has to live among the uneducated and insane.

They shouldn’t care if you wear a mask, but I’m sure if you had a good reason for continuing to do so post-vaccination, they wouldn’t want to hear it. They’d insist it’s a fake virus, a government plot, etc. They can’t be reasoned with.

Here in NYC, when I see people wearing them (and it seems like far too many are, still), I have to wonder if they really don’t trust the CDC or aren’t vaccinated. If they’re not vaccinated... well, why aren’t they? Every New Yorker—nay, every American—has had ample opportunity to get a free, full vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 71June 8, 2021 8:23 PM

Re: R53

When my cousin was undergoing chemo, the entire family (those who loved her and wanted to spend time with her) masked in public. This was before COVID was an issue, way before.

You also obviously don't live near a large hospital or know anyone who has loved ones suffering from cancer or going through chemotherapy. You're both lucky and an insensitive piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2021 8:31 PM

R71- Thank you. I had to endure the most hateful, threatening looks in the middle of the pandemic for wearing a mask. These people are insane. I do not know how one uneducated buffoon has managed to cultivate such people, but they would literally do anything he says. You would think with his Twitter silenced and him being out of office his influence would fade. It hasn't. Not at all. I want to know if it ever will.

by Anonymousreply 73June 8, 2021 9:06 PM

You know….some people just look better wearing a mask…maybe it will become trendy

by Anonymousreply 74June 8, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] Thank you. I had to endure the most hateful, threatening looks in the middle of the pandemic for wearing a mask. These people are insane. I do not know how one uneducated buffoon has managed to cultivate such people, but they would literally do anything he says. You would think with his Twitter silenced and him being out of office his influence would fade. It hasn't. Not at all. I want to know if it ever will.

When I read your posts, r73, I picture Nathan Lane in The Bird Cage. Am I close?

by Anonymousreply 75June 8, 2021 9:10 PM

R74- True. It makes my eyes pop, 😆

by Anonymousreply 76June 8, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] When my cousin was undergoing chemo, the entire family (those who loved her and wanted to spend time with her) masked in public. This was before COVID was an issue, way before.

Well, okay, I’m sorry I didn’t know about this practice. But I have known lots of people who’ve had cancer, and died from it (no, I didn’t kill them), so I’m not “lucky”, and I never once encountered this practice of the whole family wearing masks to protect them. I don’t think it’s common at all.

I was coming at it from the “general public” angle of things anyway. The general public does not owe it the immunocompromised, chemo patients, organ transplant patients, etc., to continue to wear masks in public. I mean, what are we going to do, go around with masks on for the rest of our lives because someone, somewhere might be vulnerable the germs we all encounter on a daily basis?

I don’t care if I sound “insensitive” pointing this out. It’s literally how we operate as a society. Don’t pretend we’ve all been going around killing people every day for centuries just because we didn’t all wear masks in public, and that we need to make them permanent. I mean, what exactly do you want us to do?

by Anonymousreply 77June 8, 2021 9:55 PM

That creature in OP's link photo should be forced to wear a mask permanently, due obviously to being visually unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 78June 9, 2021 12:09 AM

The discussion was why some who had been vaccinated might still chose to wear a mask, R77.

What do I want you to do? Leave those who chose to continue to wear a mask the fuck alone. Their reasons might be beyond what you're initially assuming and really isn't any of your fucking business.

by Anonymousreply 79June 9, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote] What do I want you to do? Leave those who chose to continue to wear a mask the fuck alone. Their reasons might be beyond what you're initially assuming and really isn't any of your fucking business.

My comment was that I still see way too many people in NYC wearing them. They can’t all be because they’re trying to protect someone. Especially outside for fuck’s sake. There is no reason to wear one outside.

by Anonymousreply 80June 9, 2021 12:49 AM

And it’s not like I’m going up to them and harassing them. I’m allowed to express a “WTF?” on an anonymous message board, you know.

by Anonymousreply 81June 9, 2021 12:50 AM

[quote]My comment was that I still see way too many people in NYC wearing them.

I’m not sure how you’ve determined there are “way too many” mask wearers, but fewer than half of NYC residents are fully vaccinated, so you should expect to see a majority of people masked. Just 36% of Bronx residents are fully vaccinated, so you should see even more masks in that area.

by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2021 2:21 AM

"600,000 more can die, but I won't ever mask up. Let freedom breathe!"

by Anonymousreply 83June 9, 2021 2:36 AM

This whole anti-mask thing is something I will never understand. NEVER in a million years.

What is it about being required to wear a mask in certain situations during a global pandemic (which has already killed 613,052 people in the USA alone to date) which makes seemingly grown adults wail and stamp their feet and drop to the ground, gleefully shitting their pants while having a childish tantrum?

What anti-maskers are clearly saying is that they don't care about anyone else except for themselves and they don't care what the consequences of their behavior is as long as they get what they want and just fuck everybody else. They must be treated accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 84June 9, 2021 2:58 AM

600,000 more in the US *won’t* die from COVID, however— thanks to *vaccines*.

by Anonymousreply 85June 9, 2021 3:06 AM

I don’t care what other people are doing. I’ll continue wearing a mask until i feel comfortable not wearing one.

by Anonymousreply 86June 9, 2021 3:14 AM

Just curious where you live, R86, and why you are uncomfortable not wearing a mask now? I presume you’re vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 87June 9, 2021 3:28 AM

Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience. Anyone who acts like it's a massive burden is too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 88June 9, 2021 4:08 AM

Just get vaccinated and you won't have to wear one!

by Anonymousreply 89June 9, 2021 4:09 AM

R87. NYC. Yup, have been fully vaccinated for 3 mos. I’m 64 and feel very lucky to have gotten through the worst of the pandemic. I don’t consider wearing a mask to be an inconvenience and it makes me feel just a little bit safer especially on public transportation.

by Anonymousreply 90June 9, 2021 4:13 AM

Bill Maher was vaccinated and still got covid. So were eight members of the Yankees.

(and who knows what covid has in store for people in years to come. Look at chicken pox. You can get it as a toddler and then 70 years later it shows up as shingles.)

by Anonymousreply 91June 9, 2021 4:13 AM

R89 been vacc'd for 2 months. stores still require it. I SOMEHOW survive

by Anonymousreply 92June 9, 2021 4:14 AM

R91, yes they got covid but only 1 Yankee player had symptoms! It can save you from serious illness and death.

by Anonymousreply 93June 9, 2021 4:23 AM

The vaccines do a miraculous job of preventing serious illness and death. But obviously, we can't know what (if any) long-term consequences a mild case of covid might have for vaccinated individuals.

Mild covid cases in non-vaccinated individuals have damaged organs, weakened blood vessels and given rise to a variety of neurological issues. And again, we don't know what the effects may be five, 10 and 20 years down the line.

So if a vaccinated person wants to wear a mask, I'm not going to look askance at them.

by Anonymousreply 94June 9, 2021 11:20 AM

[quote] So they whip their morons up into a santorumy forth over masks

Come again.

by Anonymousreply 95June 9, 2021 11:44 AM

[quote] It is too early to go out in public without a mask.

Not according to our president and the CDC. You know them, they’re the people who originally advised us to wear them.

by Anonymousreply 96June 9, 2021 11:45 AM

[quote] Know I truly get the meaning of the saying " Too stupid to live.

Ironic.

by Anonymousreply 97June 9, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote] The mouth-breathing goomahs in my gym

I don’t think you know what goomahs are.

by Anonymousreply 98June 9, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote] You sociopaths just want to keep the division going, to keep dividing us. I see you, you filthy piece of shit

Wow!

Physician, heal thyself.

by Anonymousreply 99June 9, 2021 11:49 AM

The problem now is that people are eating in public again. Masks provided a shield against mouth breathers, finger lickers, and nose pickers. I’m proud to not confuse freedom with having bar-b-cue sauce running down my face while I fish hook myself.

by Anonymousreply 100June 9, 2021 1:33 PM

Didn't you read Dr Fauci's emails? this virus transmitted via droplets and aerosol particles. it's airborne. Mask has useless against aerosol particles.

by Anonymousreply 101June 9, 2021 2:15 PM

It's going to take people a while to get over the fact that we don't need to wear masks any more.

People who are around young children don't feel comfortable yet because the kids aren't vaxxed, though they also don't get particularly sick.

Even though there is no more mask mandate for vaccinated people in my state, I have yet to walk into a supermarket and see anyone without one.

It's become such a marker for people, I think many are afraid they'll be mistaken for Trumpists if they show up in Whole Foods without a mask, even though it's okay to do so now.

by Anonymousreply 102June 9, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]Mask has useless against aerosol particles.

a. pure, triple-distilled horseshit;

b. Please to be talking to supervisor of trollfarm for updating proper English usages. большое спасибо.

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]Even though there is no more mask mandate for vaccinated people in my state, I have yet to walk into a supermarket and see anyone without one.

Whereas virtually nobody in my county wears a mask in public spaces, even though the full vaccination rate is just 48%. Even more and more retail clerks aren't wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2021 3:03 PM

[quote]I think many are afraid they'll be mistaken for Trumpists if they show up in Whole Foods without a mask, even though it's okay to do so now.

I fell into this trap the first day the mask mandate was lifted in my state. But now I don't care. I've followed all the rules since this thing began, I got vaccinated, and quite frankly I see this as the reward for doing what I was told and trusting the right people.

Personally, I think it sends a positive message if you're vaxxed and aren't wearing a mask. But I guess people have to reach their own level of comfort with this thing. Even though the original purpose of masks, wasn't to protect the wearer. But that has gotten lost in translation.

by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2021 3:38 PM

R44 no, it wasn't, as I have always worked remote and I do not take public transportation, I'm not currently in a city, but in the suburbs. Also, it doesn't explain the lack of allergies, but the mask does. I have a dog I walk daily and since it's a fairly busy neighborhood of walkers, I always wore a mask while outside.

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2021 4:16 PM

If a vaccinated person chooses to wear a mask, they pose no threat to anyone else.

If an unvaccinated person refuses to wear a mask, they may pose a threat to other people.

Therefore the two are not equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]If an unvaccinated person refuses to wear a mask, they may pose a threat to other people.

Not to the vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 108June 10, 2021 1:06 AM

R106 but only to the unvaccinated. Let them die!

Just kidding but not really

by Anonymousreply 109June 10, 2021 1:14 AM

So, R104, by the logic of most here, your local headlines should feature hospitals with dozens of patients choking to death daily? Or, is that not the case?

by Anonymousreply 110June 10, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote] your local headlines should feature hospitals with dozens of patients choking to death daily

Hot!

by Anonymousreply 111June 10, 2021 2:12 AM

I can’t believe people think the Yankees got COVID. They tested positive but were asymptomatic, which means they had come into contact with an unvaccinated, COVID+ person, and their immune systems were robust enough from the J&J to kill the virus when they came into contact with it. The dead virus fragments trigger a positive PCR result. And they didn’t spread the virus to anyone, because they were asymptomatic.

Wouldn’t have even known they had come into contact with it except for the fact that MLB people are tested constantly. NINE Yankees did *not* all experience breakthrough infections. That’s not how breakthrough infections work. There’s a reason why the CDC decided to stop keeping track of asymptomatic positive tests among fully vaccinated people.

by Anonymousreply 112June 10, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience. Anyone who acts like it's a massive burden is too stupid to live.

Getting fully vaccinated is even less of an inconvenience. It’s ridiculous that we’re even still having this conversation. MASKS are not the answer. VACCINES ARE. Why are we still wearing masks when every single American has had the chance—and they all have—to get fully vaccinated??

by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2021 2:20 AM

R113 um...Americans under 13 haven't

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote]I can’t believe people think the Yankees got COVID. They tested positive but were asymptomatic

One did, in fact, experience minor symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 115June 10, 2021 2:54 AM

^^ Who cares about them?

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2021 3:00 AM

This really has become, at least on here, just a dressed up version of the PrEP debate. I think we're going in circles now. I don't think any minds are going to be changed.

by Anonymousreply 117June 10, 2021 3:13 AM

Some people are just catastrophists and will cling to the old way because they can’t accept advancements in science/medicine. Because doing so wouldn’t be as fun as constantly worrying.

by Anonymousreply 118June 10, 2021 3:17 AM

I prefer the mask

by Anonymousreply 119June 10, 2021 10:19 AM

[quote] They tested positive but were asymptomatic,

And one was a false positive since the next test immediately after that Gleyber Torres took was negative.

by Anonymousreply 120June 10, 2021 12:57 PM

[quote] And they didn’t spread the virus to anyone, because they were asymptomatic.

Asymptomatic people definitely can still spread COVID. A lot of the debate of closing/opening schools was centered on the fact that kids who catch COVID are often asymptomatic and could be passing it along to many adults without even knowing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 10, 2021 3:17 PM

We need to start testing unvaccinated people for antibodies (antigens) from resolved asymptomatic infections resulting in immunity. This seems never to be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 122June 10, 2021 3:20 PM

That pertains to unvaccinated people, R121. Asymptomatic and presymptomatic unvaccinated COVID+ people have always been able to transmit.

by Anonymousreply 123June 10, 2021 3:21 PM

R122, yes that’s one huge piece of the herd immunity puzzle that the CDC never wants to discuss for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 124June 10, 2021 3:22 PM

If you add even a conservative estimate of them to the vaccination numbers, it should be well over 70%.

Whatever it may be, likely multiple angles intersecting, there's "an agenda" to keeping the story alive.

by Anonymousreply 125June 10, 2021 3:26 PM

I think they don't talk about it because that was Trump's strategy. To get to herd immunity by everyone getting sick. I would assume that no one wants the stink of Trump's botched strategies and negligence to muddy the waters, especially now as we're getting out of this thing.

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]If you add even a conservative estimate of them to the vaccination numbers, it should be well over 70%.

Not if a substantial chunk of asymptomatic people have also been vaccinated, which is likely the case.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote]If you add even a conservative estimate of them to the vaccination numbers, it should be well over 70%.

Yeah, I think we have already met herd immunity. So many of the people who haven't been vaccinated have already had Covid. The CDC is not fully factoring in the huge number of people who have already been infected.

I have family who lives in a small town and it's surprising how many of them caught Covid last year. It was more prevalent in small town America than people thought. That's why so many of them haven't gotten vaccinated. Once their immunity wears off, I think they will quietly be vaccinated. Nobody wants to go through that again, especially if the variants are stronger.

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]Yeah, I think we have already met herd immunity. So many of the people who haven't been vaccinated have already had Covid. The CDC is not fully factoring in the huge number of people who have already been infected.

a. CDC and most infectious disease doctors are saying at least 80% of the general public need to be vaccinated before herd immunity will start to kick in.

b. COVID infection provides a much weaker immunity than the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines.

You're more optimistic than I that people who caught COVID will get vaccinated. My nephew and wife caught it in February, she still has no sense of taste, and they refuse to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 129June 10, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote] a. CDC and most infectious disease doctors are saying at least 80% of the general public need to be vaccinated before herd immunity will start to kick in.

Really? That doesn’t make sense. At least 20% of the US population has had COVID already, right? 80% (full?) vaccination is the threshold for the *start* of herd immunity?

by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote] That pertains to unvaccinated people, Asymptomatic and presymptomatic unvaccinated COVID+ people have always been able to transmit.

Maybe I'm missing something r123, but vaccinated people can also catch COVID, be asymptomatic, and spread it (though the chances are extremely low). I was responding to "They didn't spread it to anyone because they were asymptomatic," because it's my understanding that asymptomatic COVID can still be spread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2021 4:18 PM

I suppose I get the fact that they want everyone to be vaccinated, including recovered covid exposed individuals, but it just seems scientifically or statistically disingenuous not to factor that into the equation. Moreover, we have just not seen huge numbers of seriously ill people in the South, where African-Americans are leery of dealing with the issue, and some white conservatives flat-out refused.

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] If you add even a conservative estimate of them to the vaccination numbers, it should be well over 70%.

Can you provide a source for the estimated number of unvaccinated people who have immunity after recovering from COVID infections, r125? Not being bitchy, I've just not seen such numbers.

by Anonymousreply 133June 10, 2021 4:20 PM

R131 the number of fully vaccinated people who still get covid-19 anyway, and somehow transmit to others, is statistically low enough not to be much of a factor for consideration.

by Anonymousreply 134June 10, 2021 4:21 PM

Re: R126

Yep. Their plan was no plan and y'all can fuck off and die. Trump cannot suffer enough for what's he's done, garbage asshole that he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 10, 2021 4:26 PM

The risk of asymptomatic, fully vaccinated people spreading the virus is so low that it’s hardly worth considering. It just isn’t a thing that happens enough for it to drive public health policy. A breakthrough infection is rare; the likelihood of such an infection lasting long enough and the person shedding enough virus to transmit it to anyone is rarer still. Not something worth worrying about. If it were, the CDC/Fauci/Biden/Mayo Clinic would not have said that fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks.

As for the herd immunity question, here’s the L.A. Times on immunity in San Francisco.

[quote] There is no definitive percentage at which herd immunity to the coronavirus is achieved. It can be tested only when essentially all restrictions are loosened and officials observe whether disease transmission increases.

[quote]Previous guesses for the point at which herd immunity will be achieved have ranged from 70% to 85% of community members with immunity.

Immunity is immunity, and it doesn’t matter if it’s obtained through infection or vaccination. One might be more effective and longer lasting than the other, but it hardly matters when we know immunity from infection does last many months and risk of reinfection is not that great—and why would it be, when so much of the rest of the population is getting vaccinated? Exponential decay, people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 10, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] COVID infection provides a much weaker immunity than the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines.

Where did you hear that, r125? The latest research I read says that COVID immunity after recovery from COVID lasts at least 8 months (as of January 2021) and COVID immunity after Pfizer/Moderna lasts at least 6 months (as of May 2021).

Current data suggests that the risk of developing COVID a second time after recovering (and without vaccine) is 0.6%; the risk of developing breakthrough COVID after being fully vaccinated is currently believed to be around 0.4%.

I don't understand where you're getting that actual COVID recovery provides a much weaker defense against infection than Pfizer/Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 137June 10, 2021 4:31 PM

There's a strong argument to be made that herd immunity is already here, or very imminent. In Texas, the mask mandate was ended over a month ago and we we have not seen a spike in infections or hospitalizations. Texas has seen enough vaccinations and previous infections that it should be in the clear at this point. That's pretty much the case everywhere, except for hick states like AL and MS which have extremely low vaccination rates. They are never going to reach herd immunity in those states until enough people have caught it.

by Anonymousreply 138June 10, 2021 4:36 PM

The antibody response induced by mRNA vaccination against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stronger and more variable than that of natural infection, a new study found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 10, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] The antibody response induced by mRNA vaccination against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stronger and more variable than that of natural infection, a new study found.

Thanks, r139. Interesting stuff!

by Anonymousreply 140June 10, 2021 5:02 PM

It is stronger and provides better protection against variants (right?) but it doesn’t mean that natural immunity counts for nothing and shouldn’t factor into herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2021 6:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!