Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We’re you a peculiar child?

How did it affect you?

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2021 5:01 AM

It made me into a champion whirlybirder.

Whoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 5:05 PM

Ok, that's just a bad headline

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2021 5:07 PM

Scat thread!

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2021 5:27 PM

Since I am a peculiar adult, I would have say yes.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2021 5:28 PM

My spellchecker turns “were” into “we’re”. I’m so ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2021 5:30 PM

It caused me to insert apostrophes inappropriately.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2021 5:31 PM

OMG I wasn’t a peculiar child but OMG I did love making pillow shams and Wizard of Oz costumes with my sewing machine.

I loved that sewing machine.

Thank you, Larry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2021 5:50 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 6:23 PM

Yeah, I definitely was. My dad died in the mid-'80s when I was 11, and it really fucked me up.

I was fascinated with guns - had a huge toy gun collection (Back when they looked close to real), wore camouflage, wanted to be in the marines, etc. Simultaneously, I was also the stinky kid in school. Predictably, I was picked on a lot.

I grew out of all that in my late teens, started bathing regularly, and became a relatively well-adjusted adult with a steady job. It wasn't until my mid-30's when I started to go to therapy that I was able to unpack all the shit that was going on with me as a young adolescent.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 7:43 PM

I think that I was very peculiar. I was certainly not an outcast - I had a number of good, close friends, especially girls, and I remain close to most of them today. (Two have died.) Apparently they appreciated my peculiarities, which were mostly my interests - drawing, painting, musical instruments - keyboards and violin, - reading about military history - wars and battles. I loved and still love poetry.

This was not the stuff of which most of the popular kids were made, but I was one of those odd fringe kids, who weren't exactly weird, but marched to the beat of a different drummer. And I still do, proudly.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 8:30 PM

I had old married parents while other kids lived with only one parent. I made up stories for kids insisting that their absentee parents were dead - much better than having sinful divorcees as parents.

I was a mini religious bigot who believed Catholics would eventually get to heaven, but we Lutherans would be in a better, tidier version. And, for some reason I loathed Baptists.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 8:56 PM

I used my new vacuum. It’s nice. Kind of makes me wish I hadn’t left in in the box on the living room floor for the past 13 months. I feared attaching it’s docking station to the wall would be whelming, but it turns out the holes I drilled in more energetic times for my old vacuum’s docking station fit perfectly. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 9:27 PM

^ wrong thread. Gotta lay off the weed.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote]My spellchecker turns “were” into “we’re”

LIES.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 11:02 PM

Come over here and say that.

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 11:14 PM

I refused to go to elementary school. Refused. Walked home by myself. I was a total pain in the ass. Poor mother. I wanted to be home. I still do.

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 11:35 PM

Yes I was weird. I had so many interests and understandings of things in the world that were not childlike. Not in the sense of being a genius or savant, more like someone who read fiction and watched films geared towards adults. Teachers tended not to like me,it's like they thought I was a freak for not being sufficiently childish or something.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 11:46 PM

It didn't affect me at all but seemed to have the most impact on the nasty breeder culture around me.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 11:48 PM

I’m certain many among you were peculiar children.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]Gotta lay off the weed.

Please send it over here.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote] Yeah, I definitely was. My dad died in the mid-'80s when I was 11, and it really fucked me up.

Sorry to hear, R9.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 9:58 PM

Caveat emptor.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2021 1:52 PM

I was peculiar in the way that lonely gay boys are, and I am now a peculiar adult because of how I was treated as a peculiar child.

The circle of life.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2021 2:08 PM

Peculiar as fuck. I had a sense of curiosity and adventure, and I'd spend hours walking around our city, going to free events, exploring antique shops, record stores. Exploring old & abandoned buildings. Buying stuff at garage sales, dragging it home, fixing it up for my very cramped and weird bedroom. I spent a lot I'd time alone and loved it.

I have a memory from when I was maybe 9 or 10. I was out playing in the neighborhood doing whatever weird thing I was into. Some other kids were playing kickball or some sport in someone's backyard. I was next to their house and overheard the parents taking about how I was playing by myself and wouldn't play "normal" stuff with the other boys. I remember the mom saying "He just likes to play alone." and the dad said really loudly "Yeah well there's something fucking wrong with that kid!" 😪

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2021 5:41 PM

^Ouch

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2021 11:25 PM

Not really peculiar. I read a lot and got good grades. I was thought of as smart.

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2021 12:02 AM

I was peculiar. I was either reading every possible moment or out with my dogs hiking (so I could get away from home). I was also weirdly fascinated with the paranormal from a very early age. No, not devil worship or any kind of sacrifice stuff, just really curious about all kinds of paranormal phenomena.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2021 4:47 AM

R24 That dad was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2021 4:52 AM

Yes and it wasn’t easy. On top of the weird things I was interested in I just acted weird and I couldn’t even help it. I was so painfully shy. Even some family members were awful to me. It didn’t help that I was also an ugly kid. My mom let me pursue my weird interests and be myself. I’m thankful because i think it’s a beautiful thing to just be who you are and even though childhood was difficult I think it’s made me a lot happier as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2021 5:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!