Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Regional cuisine

What is your area known for?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 8:40 PM

The Tenderloin sandwich. It is amazing and delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2021 12:58 PM

Handel's Ice Cream. It's been consistently voted as some of the best ice cream in the country. Perhaps more infamous though - and I'm sure they would rather downplay it these days - Bill Cosby loved it so much he would have it shipped to him.

We're also home of the Klondike Bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2021 4:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2021 4:39 PM

Fried eggplant with honey (and sometimes goat cheese as well)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2021 4:51 PM

Tailgate food: burgers, brats, and beer.

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2021 5:28 PM

Mexican Food. Street Tacos. The Beef Dip Sandwich. Avocado on everything. Sushi everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2021 5:31 PM

Carvel-yum

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2021 5:51 PM

Chicken wings

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 12:14 AM

Flies.

Dirt.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 1:11 AM

Mission style burritos. Wine. Tri-tip sandwiches are also pretty popular. Mexican food trucks.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 1:21 AM

In and around Morgantown, where I went to school, Pepperoni Rolls are quite popular, and very much a regional item. It's more a West Virginia thing than in anywhere else. Also: hotdogs with hot chili, yellow mustard, onion, and coleslaw, are referred to as "West Virginia Style" hotdogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 1:26 AM

Anyone can make a Pepperoni roll or Pepperoni bread in the oven. Just need store bought pizza dough (or even pillsbury), pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese....Then roll it up, do an egg wash (just scrambled egg brushed on to give it that brown outside) and bake

what makes it awesome is that the oils from the cheese and the pepperoni bake into the bread. Can dip in marinara sauce

yes, i type fat.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 1:36 AM

Irish Potatoes are a philly candy that are distributed only around St Patricks Day.

Shredded coconut and cream cheese/sugar with a cinnamon dust

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 1:37 AM

Brunswick stew, they even sell cans of it at 7-11.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 1:41 AM

R1 - are you in Des Moines?

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 1:46 AM

Fried chicken with mumbo sauce Lox bagels Regional vegan soul food Banh mi

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2021 1:46 AM

Excuse my formatting error!

Fried chicken with mumbo sauce

Lox bagels

Regional vegan soul food

Banh mi

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2021 1:48 AM

R11, mustard chili onions slaw is known as Carolina style, either on a hot dog or hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 1:52 AM

SW Florida is such a transplant hodgepodge that the only "unique" culinary item I can think of is featuring grouper in fish items?

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2021 2:04 AM

The freshest salmon, apples, Brown and Hailey candies (Almond Roca, Mountain Bar), Dungeness crab, 650 wineries (second largest wine-producing area in the country). Oysters, clams and geoduck.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2021 3:21 AM

Pizza strips, clam cakes, coffee milk and hot weiners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2021 3:28 AM

Faygo and Blue Moon ice cream

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2021 3:30 AM

Steamed cheeseburgers.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2021 3:48 AM

raspberry creemees

maple syrup on snow

ben and jerrie's ice cream

fiddleheads

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2021 3:49 AM

Poutine and Whoopie pies

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2021 3:50 AM

I want that green soft ice cream cone. NOW!

by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2021 3:56 AM

R26 I did too, but vegan ice cream just seems wrong to me.

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2021 4:02 AM

Mountain Dew soft serve sounds dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2021 4:09 AM

Italian Beef sandwiches

Deep dish pizza

Hot dogs with at least 7 toppings - but NEVER ketchup

Mixed caramel corn and cheese corn

Guess where I live.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2021 4:16 AM

r10 here. I forgot Gravenstein apples which make great pies, but they don't travel/keep well for long so it's definitely a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2021 4:25 AM

r29 I am going there in 2 weeks! Can't wait to have some deep dish pizza.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2021 4:25 AM

I grew up in Southeast Michigan and never had heard of that ice cream before @ OP. We do have Superman ice cream though.

Coney Island hot dogs, Hani sandwich, Vernors Ginger ale, Saunders hot fudge, bumpy cake, better made potato chips, Detroit style pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2021 5:00 AM

How could I forget my mothers favorite drink/dessert? The hummer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 8, 2021 5:03 AM

Sydney rock oysters

by Anonymousreply 34June 8, 2021 5:48 AM

R18 that may be what they call it in Carolina, but the WV hot dog goes back about 100 years, that's the way I had it as a kid and I haven't been a kid for 60 years. My pick for WV would be biscuits and sausage gravy, WV and NC are the few states that have restaurants dedicated to the biscuit.

by Anonymousreply 35June 8, 2021 7:06 AM

r32 That Hani sandwich sounds delicious. I'm fond of most things in a pita though!

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2021 7:19 AM

R12 Purists make their own dough. A lot of folks use frozen bread dough. Few use canned biscuits, because the flavor and texture are completely different. My personal favorite is the hot pepper cheese, and pepperoni version fresh from the oven.

The two are more or less the same, R18. Although it seems that the mustard is sometimes eliminated, or used as a substitute for the slaw in the Carolina style. Not so in West Virginia. All four ingredients must be present.

So, North & South Carolinians have the same great taste in hotdogs as West Virginians. But only where hotdogs are concerned. West Virginia doesn't treat their burgers in the same manner. BUT...there are many tiny little places to find great burgers within the state.

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2021 7:23 AM

Where are 'loose meat sandwiches' popular? I've heard of them but have no idea where they started.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2021 1:10 PM

Loose meat:

Carroll Dietz of Missoula, Montana, created the precursor to the tavern sandwich in 1920, referred to as a "steamed hamburger."[3] In 1926, Fred Angell began selling his version of the sandwich at the first Maid-Rite restaurant in Muscatine, Iowa, under the name "loose meat sandwich."[4][5] The name "tavern" for the sandwich is credited to David Heglin. Heglin sold the sandwiches at his Sioux City, Iowa, restaurant in 1924. After Heglin died, Abe Kaled bought the business in 1934 and renamed the restaurant Ye Olde Tavern after the sandwich. Kaled perfected the recipe for the ground beef, and the tavern sandwich spread to restaurants and bars across the Sioux City area.[6][7]

The sandwich is now well known throughout the Midwestern United States, and is served not only in small, local establishments but also in franchise restaurant locations such as Dairy Queen and Maid-Rite. The Wichita, Kansas-based chain Nu Way Cafe serves a version of the tavern/loose meat sandwich called a "Nu Way".[8] In Illinois, the sandwich is also known as a "loose hamburger sandwich".[9] In Iowa, it is sometimes referred to as a Maid-Rite

by Anonymousreply 39June 8, 2021 1:14 PM

Thanks, R39. I live in the Great Lakes region and thought I knew all about midwest favorites. That one slipped under my radar.

by Anonymousreply 40June 8, 2021 1:21 PM

Breakfast tacos

BBQ Brisket

Migas

Chicken Fried Steak

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2021 1:22 PM

Are loose meat sandwiches basically a dry Sloppy Joe?

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2021 1:27 PM

Northern California - Cioppino, sourdough bread, street tacos, carnitas.

Cioppino is a tomato-based fisherman's stew featured in restaurants during dungeness crab season usually and contains shellfish mainly. Jars of the sauce start appearing in the seafood sections of stores in November.

by Anonymousreply 43June 8, 2021 1:40 PM

R42 That's what it sounds like. The perfect sandwich if you want a hamburger but are too lazy to form the ground beef into patties.

by Anonymousreply 44June 8, 2021 1:58 PM

Connecticut - the best pizza, including clam pizza and scamorza pizza.

by Anonymousreply 45June 8, 2021 2:56 PM

r43 Other NorCal specialties: Joe's Special, Hangtown Fry, It's-It.

by Anonymousreply 46June 8, 2021 3:06 PM

I totally forgot about Joe's Special! They served it in my dorm cafeteria back in the day. It looked gross. Boy, was I wrong.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2021 3:21 PM

R29. Hi, neighbor. I'll add flaming cheese (saganaki) which was invented in Chicago and pepper & egg sandwiches.

At the risk of losing my Chicago credentials, I really dislike deep-dish pizza. Luckily, we have decent pizza of every variety.

The Mexican food here is really good, too--from taquerias to Michelin-starred Topolobampo.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2021 4:52 PM

Ontario and other than peameal bacon we don't have anything. Lots of other region'/countries' food though.

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2021 4:52 PM

R49, what about maple syrup? Smoked meats in Montreal? Beaver tails? Poutine?

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2021 5:43 PM

Ontario. That's all French Canadian stuff and maple syrup is more like a product than "cuisine".

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2021 5:45 PM

Montreal has Montreal bagels, Montreal steak seasoning, and smoked meat (like pastrami.) But I'm not from there.

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote] Northern California - Cioppino ...

R43, I lived in SF and, except at Fisherman's Wharf, didn't see cioppino on many menus. Same with sourdough bread. Lots at Fisherman's Wharf, elsewhere, not so much.

I do love cioppino, though.

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2021 5:48 PM

Yorkshire pudding

by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2021 6:31 PM

A Manhattan, Waldorf Salad, Oysters Rockefeller, Pizza, "regular" coffee.

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2021 7:16 PM

^and cheesecake for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2021 7:17 PM

French Dip sandwich

Fortune cookies

Cobb salad

Orange Julius

Chinese chicken salad

In-n-Out Burger

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2021 7:29 PM

Toasted ravioli

Cashew Chicken

KC barbeque

St. Louis style pizza

Gooey butter cake

by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2021 7:37 PM

Green River soda.

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2021 8:38 PM

R57 well hello other Angeleno!

by Anonymousreply 60June 8, 2021 8:44 PM

My state in the US is swimming with Dunkin Donuts shops. Also, Carvel in the eighties used to be a big deal around here - yes, I'm practically geriatric in gay years. My father, who rarely if ever smiled, only smiled when he was eating ice-cream.

by Anonymousreply 61June 8, 2021 8:48 PM

Cafe con leche

Cuban sandwiches

Pastillitos

I could go on. I'm lucky enough to live in the shadow of Miami, so there is delicious Cuban food all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 62June 8, 2021 8:50 PM

'Thanks, [R39]. I live in the Great Lakes region and thought I knew all about midwest favorites. That one slipped under my radar.'

It's not popular in the Great Lakes region. More in the central states.

by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2021 9:01 PM

Mountain Dew soft serve is a trashy enough concept. Add the fact that it has no dairy content whatsoever and it's monstrous.

I doubt very much that "vegan" means it's Tofutti.

by Anonymousreply 64June 8, 2021 9:01 PM

Garlic fingers, donairs, Pictou county pizza (the tomato sauce is spicy and cooked longer so it is brown). The pizza is one of the few things I miss about Pictou.

by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2021 9:18 PM

R53 - Biba's in Sacramento always had seasonal cioppino. Unfortunately, they closed.

It is kind of an old timey dish, so I wonder if restaurant patrons aren't familiar with it. It also requires fairly expensive ingredients, so it's likely one of the highest priced dishes.

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2021 5:25 PM

R66, as someone who has seafood restaurant, I can say that Cioppino and other stews or pan roasts are often put on the menu to use up pieces of fish that are on the cusp of getting old, thereby saving on food costs bigly. So while the price is usually high because consumers think it warrants it, the recipe/product itself often gets a mixed bag of old pieces of fish.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2021 7:53 PM

Calabash shrimp!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2021 5:58 AM

r21 Those pizza strips are known as tomato pie in NY and Philadelphia. They're cut into squares tho.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2021 6:01 AM

R67 do you make calabash shrimp at your restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2021 8:07 PM

Coddle. I haven't had it in years, but it's one of the few dishes associated with Dublin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2021 8:11 PM

Cheers, R6, here's a pic. Wish I had some now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2021 8:28 PM

Seafood, chowder, baked beans.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!