Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Japan Refuses To Cancel Or Postpone Olympics

Is this right or wrong?

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 6:23 PM

You left out Who Cares.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2021 2:57 PM

American Olympic athletes, who train hard for years, care about it, R1. They should not have to risk getting COVID.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2021 4:51 PM

Don't hold them is pretty much "who cares"

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2021 6:09 PM

We had tickets to a bunch of events - all the ones involving hot guys we can gawk at.

When they postponed last year, and kept the schedule in tact for 2021, we were fine with that, and relieved.

Then, they canceled all tickets held outside of Japan, as if that is a way to reduce spread of COVID. Literally every other country holding tickets to the Olympics is more fully vaccinated than Japan. Their keeping it local will make this a superspreader event.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2021 6:13 PM

You can't postpone the Olympics six months (that would made them winter olympics).

I'm surprised how badly Japan dealt with covid, in a lot of european countries the restrictions are low and they are able to contain the pandemic.

The did a pretty bad job

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2021 6:20 PM

It is very surprising, R5. I always looked up to Japan's sense of organization and hygiene. Most of them wear masks regularly and don't get physically close - no hugging, etc.

But when the shit hits the fan, and it did, the bureaucracy eats itself, with everyone passively looking at each other to fix it.

My 80 year old Japanese mother-in-law in Kobe, got lots of mail about vaccines, with no concrete information, just a bunch of mixed messages and 'stay tuned for the next mailing'. Finally, the mail came with a list of 200 places in Kobe she could go to get a vaccine. She started calling, and nobody answered. The one place that did answer told her she had to come in physically to make the appointment. She waited in line for 5 hours just to get an appointment. Not a vaccine, just an appointment date to come back six weeks later to get her vaccine at the same place.

It's June 4th, and she still has to wait another week to get her first Pfizer shot.

If the highest priority among Japanese is facing this kind of bureaucracy, Japan is not doing this right. They are at 2% vaccinated nationwide, with the Olympics coming in two months.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2021 6:30 PM

You can’t put athletes’ bodies in suspended animation in the interim. The Olympics must be held this summer no matter what. We know how to protect people from Covid, so there’s no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2021 6:59 PM

r6, Japanese are held back by small dick energy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2021 7:01 PM

Even if there's a disaster, when Suga calls a snap election soon after, the LDP will still retain control of the government. Zero electoral competition means government that doesn't need to care about public opinion or ... consequences of bad decisions, really.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2021 7:03 PM

Japan's ramping up vaccination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2021 7:12 PM

Yes they should hold them, perhaps limit viewers. But these athletes have been training nonstop for years for their chance at gold. Let them play their sports.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2021 7:16 PM

Hold the events without any spectators.

Although, I don't know how safe the accommodations are where the athletes will be staying.

Make sure all the camera crews are vaccinated and all of the support crew for those competing as well as the athletes themselves.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2021 7:17 PM

Is it true that if they cancel them, the entire Japanese Olympic Committee will need to commit harakiri in order to save face?

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2021 7:17 PM

I think it's fine to hold the Olympics because they have really strict rules about infection control, distancing, masks, testing, quarantine etc. Plus a lot of the athletes probably have been vaccinated by then and there will be NO people in the stadiums watching the athletes in person so there is very little chance of the Olympics causing more infections among the general public. If it turns out an athlete is infected they will be quarantined and isolated.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2021 12:52 PM

If they’re having male and female categories, cancel them!

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2021 12:54 PM

R6 Holy shit that's bad. And I thought we were slow here in Norway. Everyone aged 65 and over have been vaccinated here plus many younger people in risk groups. The vaccine places have lists and they call people when it's their turn. Usually the bureaucracy is bad here in Norway, but the vaccination has been surprisingly effecient. Our problem is that it's still slow because we don't have enough doses. Especially since we stopped using AZ and J&J. We only use Pfizer and Moderna now.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote] You left out Who Cares

That's me. I watch no sports anyway so since NBC doesn't have a single program I want to see I'd lose nothing if they go on, but I'd gain nothing if they were cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote]and kept the schedule in tact for 2021,

Oh deal.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2021 1:34 PM

they are going to open up fully

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 1:39 PM

Maybe it was a dolphin?

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 1:43 PM

Sorry I'm a gay man.

I don't care about sports.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 1:58 PM

My understanding is that it is the IOC (International Olympic Committee) has contractual discretion and final decision about whether the Olympics can be cancelled and they are refusing to cancel it even though 70% of Japanese citizens want it cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 2:04 PM

They should just postpone it until 2022. We can have both Olympics in the same year like it used to be. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 2:19 PM

I would say postpone but their recklessness has me uncaring if its cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 6:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!