Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV shows that ended too soon.

We all know that most TV viewers have no taste (just look at friends or the 200+ seasons of the Kartrashians) and this leads to great shows getting aborted prematurely. Which of such shows do you miss/rewatch the most? Mine are below:

The Comeback: This show has one of my favourite troupes ever: mocking reality TV. Lisa Kudrow is a comic genius and the show as a whole is great.

Enlightenment: Laura Dern tries to turn from an angry raging corporate person to a calmer and well-meaning stoic. Some of her older traits still permeate though and the people around her are hesitant to believe her new persona.

by Anonymousreply 508August 16, 2021 4:32 AM

Rome, Carneval, Profit, American Gothic, Rectify,

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2021 4:52 PM

I'd love to see new seasons of both The Comeback and Enlightened. I think The Comeback will be more likely. Lisa Kudrow has admitted to having thoughts about a third season constantly.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2021 5:41 PM

Firefly

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2021 5:43 PM

Spartacus. Every time I rewatch, I wish it was longer.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2021 5:51 PM

Enlightened could definitely morph into more adventures for Mike and Laura. She basically 'won' at the end of the series, but she could try another corporation and start losing again, which is funnier.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2021 5:52 PM

PRODIGAL SON - campiest serial killer series ever. I want Bellamy Young as my mother!

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2021 5:54 PM

"Kolchak: The Night Stalker"

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2021 1:11 AM

Lol, the semi annual thread emerges, and so does my eternal answer Swingtown.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2021 1:29 AM

same thing I say every time

The Oblongs

The Powers that Be

Rockstar

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2021 1:36 AM

Frank’s Place

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2021 1:49 AM

I'll Fly Away. God, I loved this show so much, but I must've been the only one, because it barely lasted two seasons. Remarkable writing and acting. Was way too good for network TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2021 1:52 AM

The Secret Circle. It was cancelled. Witches Of East End. Also cancelled. Helstrom. Another cancelled show.

Yet fucking horseshit trash like Riverdale, Nancy Drew, Dickinson, & Warrior Nun are still going.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2021 1:52 AM

What I said before on earlier threads on this topic: "Rubicon". A great, smart show that AMC killed in order to redirect the budget to their dumb zombiefest.

"Good Behavior" - it was very entertaining and Michelle Dockery and Juan Diego Botto had great chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2021 1:53 AM

R11, I agree with you. Fantastic show.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2021 1:55 AM

Game of Thrones. There was no reason HBO needed to wrap the show up in such a hasty way. It could have gone on for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2021 1:55 AM

Penny Dreadful. Two and a half great seasons, followed by a rushed, borderline nonsensical half of a season, and then it was over. This was another show that could have gone on for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2021 1:58 AM

My So-Called Life

Strangers With Candy

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2021 1:59 AM

WKRP in Cincinnati. The fourth season built things so well. It had gotten so good. It needed one more season to play out those themes.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2021 2:05 AM

Pan Am. Lead me as a young teen to curate an interest in aviation. Then I met my ex through a community related to aviation. It needs another season!

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2021 2:08 AM

Firefly

Stargate Universe

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2021 2:11 AM

Freaks and Geeks. Although the one season works beautifully all by itself.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2021 2:13 AM

The Golden Palace

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2021 2:17 AM

I liked Bearcats! (1971), with hunks Rod Taylor and Dennis Cole only 14 episodes, 1 season.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2021 2:21 AM

"Dirt" starring Courtney Cox. Also, "Action" a comedy with Jay Mohr and Ileana Douglas

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2021 2:21 AM

and obviously, Hannibal

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2021 2:24 AM

A third vote for I'll Fly Away. It was my favorite show when it was on, 1991-93. I was heartened to learn in the PBS wrapup episode Brand-Falsey did later in 1993 that John Morgan died young, allowing us to assume it was AIDS. He had seemed gay to me. We shared an interest as six-year-olds in Classics Illustrated comic books, if nothing else.

Jeremy London certainly was crushworthy.

Fortunately, Homicide: Life on the Street appeared on NBC shortly before I'll Fly Away was canceled, and became my new favorite show. In retrospect, I sometimes think it was better that I'll Fly Away was canceled early, so we didn't suffer the indignity of having the NBC suits ruin it the way they did Homicide around season 4.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2021 2:25 AM

Last Man on Earth....

I really loved that wacky show!

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2021 2:30 AM

Fleabag

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2021 4:10 AM

R10 My husband and I sold a spec script to Frank’s Place!

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2021 4:14 AM

R29 wow! That was a great show.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2021 11:10 AM

Pushing Daisies

Book of Daniel

Nothing Sacred

Brooklyn Bridge

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2021 11:17 AM

The Apprentice

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2021 11:24 AM

On netflix: Nobody's looking, a very good brazilian show about angelus, very funny, they even won a golden globe I think. Cancel after the 1st season, and finish on a big twist, we will never know what happen next!!!

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2021 11:35 AM

6"Under

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2021 12:01 PM

The Nine

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2021 12:24 PM

Deadwood

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2021 12:42 PM

Imposters. Rob Heaps and Parker Young had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2021 2:50 PM

Speaking of Parker Young, I would have been happy with a few more seasons, or even episodes, of Enlisted, especially with brotherly shower scenes.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2021 2:58 PM

Soap. Susan Harris had planned for a fifth and final season, but ABC canceled it after season 4. Season 4 was not its bed, but it hadn't jumped the shark and could easily have squeezed out another good year.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2021 3:02 PM

Darren Star's Grosse Pointe.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2021 3:02 PM

I also enjoyed Sarah Michelle Gellar's Ringer(although I'm not sure how it would have held up in the long run), and Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant had something special in Santa Clarita Diet.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2021 3:08 PM

I don’t play favorites. A mother always sees her children with equal amounts of affection. My poor Rhoda should have been afforded the chance to wrap things up properly. Does anyone need something to eat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2021 3:12 PM

Another vote for “Pushing Daisies”

“A Gifted Man”

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2021 3:12 PM

Happy Days. Love Boat. Married with Children.

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2021 3:17 PM

Southland. I absolutely loved that show with top-notch acting and interesting and different storylines.

I second Homicide: Life on the Streets.

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2021 3:30 PM

Wonderfalls

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2021 4:38 PM

Twin Peaks, Penny Dreadful, On Becoming a God in Central Florida (was renewed but became a casualty of Covid-19), Hannibal, Monsters, Tales From the Darkside, Ash vs Evil Dead

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2021 6:05 PM

I adored On Being a God in Central Florida! Was disappointed about it not getting a second season which it totally deserved.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2021 6:50 PM

Quark

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2021 6:55 PM

I know this may sound insane but I actually wish "Gilligan's Island" had run longer. I think it would've been interesting to see how much more bizarre the show would have become the longer they spent on that island. I also have little doubt that, had it run past five seasons, we would've had another "Dick York/Dick Sargent" situation as I'm sure Tina Louise would've bailed after her contract was over and the producers would've been forced to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2021 7:06 PM

The Crossing

Invasion

The Edge of Night

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2021 7:13 PM

Oh, if we’re adding renewed but, COVID cancelled shows here then the Netflix triumvirate of well rounded LGBTQ+ characters in shows: Society, Teenage Bounty Hunters and I Am Not OK with This.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2021 7:23 PM

Homefront

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2021 7:29 PM

I think The West Wing could have continued with President Santos!

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2021 8:12 PM

"Get a Life"---Bob Elliot, Chris Elliot, and Elinor Donahue. Brilliant sit-com.

"Tour of Duty"---Gritty drama about the Vietnam War, with a sterling and handsome cast!

"Law and Order"---Original. Because it wasn't allowed to beat the longevity record of "Gunsmoke."

"Max Headroom"---Genius, avant-garde Sci-Fi TV.

"American Dreams"---A show about growing up with, and on, "Bandstand"?! Awesome. (My late best friend used to dance on the Philly original.)

So many more!

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2021 8:33 PM

R9, I saw that INXS line-up with JD Fortune and OMG, JD was HOT!! I was bummed at their eventual falling-out.

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2021 8:38 PM

Downton Abbey - I want it to go on for ever and ever!

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2021 8:41 PM

Enlightened. Funny and satiric without being cruel and warm without being sickeningly sweet. Can't believe it was cancelled while loads of shitty shows are still regularly renewed.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2021 8:42 PM

Begone, frau r57.

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2021 8:42 PM

Edit,meant to write I agree with op about enlightened

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2021 8:44 PM

The Knick. For the acting, the storylines (often based on fact), the music, and the matchless immersion into the dawn of the 1900s in NYC.

The Thick of It. Haven't found anything funnier anywhere. I'm still looking.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2021 8:45 PM

White Collar

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2021 8:47 PM

R3 Firefly was supposed to get much worse, from plot details that have leaked out. A bullet was dodged there.

Carnivale was so good. Unique, compelling, haunting, fantastical. Really wish they'd bring it back. It would do so much better were it on today.

Ugly Betty managed to end very nicely, but I wish there had been a 5th season. Cancelling it after messing around with the timeslot was shitty. Dumping Vanessa Williams onto Desperate Housewives wasn3mich of a consolation prize.

ABC really fucked that up.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2021 8:48 PM

The British Queer as Folk

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2021 8:58 PM

[quote]I think The West Wing could have continued with President Santos!

Ugh! Jimmy Smits is #2 on my list of "Actors who surprised you by becoming big stars" list (after Ben Affleck). I stopped watching when they hired him.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] I Am Not OK with This

Good choice! I really liked that show and I’m kinda shocked that it didn't get a second season. I mean when you think of all the crap clogging up Netflix...

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2021 9:24 PM

Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2021 9:52 PM

Hannibal Game of Thrones last season was too rushed and did not do justice to the world building that came before. Veronica Mars - it came back as a fan funded movie and new season with the characters as adults, but it wasn’t the same.

The Avengers with Diana Rigg, she was only on 2 seasons nut I adored her red hair, 60s Fashion, and silly plots and banter.

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2021 9:52 PM

The Ropers, if only to spare poor Norman Fell of laboring under the illusion that his job on Three's Company was waiting for him if the Ropers didn't last a full seasons. What a slap in the face that must've been!

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2021 10:02 PM

Better Off Ted: It really nailed zany corporate satire.

HBO's Rome: Supposed to go 5 seasons but canceled after 2. To make matters worse, they squished the season 2 and 3 plotlines into the shortened second season.

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2021 10:23 PM

Another vote for Deadwood, sexy western

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2021 10:34 PM

Sex and the city, after the show run I want 2 movies and a revival. It’s deep and intelligent

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2021 10:34 PM

Angel

Firefly

My So Called Life

Freaks and Geeks

Rome

Carnivale

Twin Peaks

Muppets Tonight

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2021 10:44 PM

The uk series ‘this life’, ‘my so-called life’, Kindred: the embraced

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2021 10:50 PM

Herman’s Head

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2021 11:01 PM

I thought I was the only one who still fondly remembers Better Off Ted.

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2021 11:05 PM

R29, was it produced? Was it the one where some guy died and they kept losing his body? That was so funny I busted a gut laughing, I hesitate to rewatch in case...you know.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2021 11:07 PM

Harsh Realm. They made 9 episodes and cancelled it after only airing 3, citing low ratings. Rumour has it the Fox network was annoyed at Chris Carter for finishing Millennium. But yet they kept dragging X-Files back for shitty season after shitty season once Vince Gilligan left the writing team.

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2021 11:07 PM

I would also love to see another season of The Comeback. The fact that the second season really dealt with the fallout from the first season in a meaningful way was fantastic. It would be interesting to see what happens after the finale of the second.

The most recent disappointment in cancellations for me was GLOW. Netflix cutting off its final season is a real gut punch considering where the show left off. And sadly, its cancellation feels like a repeat of the real GLOW's demise.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2021 11:08 PM

R78, thanks for reminding me about "Millennium". I LOVED that show and vastly preferred it to "The X-Files". It was darker, more sinister, and Lance Henriksen could act circles around David Duchovny.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2021 11:10 PM

Wiseguy - Ken Wahl in tight jeans forever.

Max Gail in "Tight Trousers and Speedos" - was that ever a series? It should have been.

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2021 11:24 PM

I'm really glad to see "I'll Fly Away" listed here, R11. That it was canceled so soon is criminal. It's still an all-time favorite.

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2021 11:30 PM

Oh, yes, r51.... Invasion. I forgot about that one. That was good.

by Anonymousreply 83June 3, 2021 12:22 AM

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd. The show had some great music.

by Anonymousreply 84June 3, 2021 1:00 AM

The Jury

by Anonymousreply 85June 3, 2021 1:02 AM

Not many people remember a comedy about seedy Hollywood, Action, which starred Jay Mohr. Iliana Douglas was in it too, she played a high class whore. Only lasted 1 season, all of the 13 episodes were golden, as if written by cynical, cunty writers who’ve seen and experienced actual stuff depicted in the plot but 100x worse.

by Anonymousreply 86June 3, 2021 1:38 AM

Fox had a lot of shows that were just too ahead of their time.

Action

Kitchen Confidential

Grosse Point

Profit

LA to Vegas

by Anonymousreply 87June 3, 2021 1:43 AM

The Kids Are Alright was very good.

by Anonymousreply 88June 3, 2021 1:51 AM

Agent Carter- Two seasons ended with a cliffhanger. Love that era and Hayley Atwell was phenomenal! Would be nice to have a Disney+ limited series to wrap it up.

Constantine- This show and the character were so much better than the schlock that is "Legends of Tomorrow". I hate having to watch it just to look at Matt Ryan.

Star Trek: Enterprise- Not as bad as I remember or as others have claimed. It should have gotten the usual Trek seven seasons to really complete the experience. Also, if it was going to end early, at least end with Trip and T'pol's daughter instead of fucking Berman's glorified "one last episode of TNG" with Trip's death!

by Anonymousreply 89June 3, 2021 1:52 AM

On Becoming a God in Central Florida is kaput for good? Or just delayed?

by Anonymousreply 90June 3, 2021 1:56 AM

Action was fucking genius and ahead of its time, too snarky for the time. Keanu had a cameo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 3, 2021 2:08 AM

Not that it was a great show, but Devious Maids was a guilty pleasure of mine and they were mixing things up and setting up some pairings and dynamics for the next season that had potential. I felt it could have gone on a couple of more seasons.

I forgot about Invasion. I was pretty bitter about that because it left things on a big cliffhanger and it seemed to have a good chance of getting renewed. Again not necessarily the best series on television, but I found it entertaining.

I have mixed feelings about Twins Peaks. I loved the show, but it kind of spun its wheels after the Bob reveal. It probably could have used one more season with the direction this will be the last year - bring things to a conclusion. I guess they did do that a couple of years ago, but have not watched the delayed season 3 yet.

WKRP definitely got jerked around by the network and should have had a least one more year.

Timeless could have had another season. Also time travel related - Voyageurs could have gone on indefinitely due to the appearance of Jon Eric Hexum as I was reaching puberty.

Agree about The Powers That Be. I only saw a couple of episodes, but it had a great cast and some smart writing. Was it on Saturday? I feel like it was on a day and time that most of its target audience would not be home.

Also, not necessarily great art, but I enjoyed the Old Adventures of New Christine and felt like it was still funny and far from the running on fumes stage when it got cancelled.

Angel needed one more season. The show had seemed like it had gotten back on track after an uneven season that it would have been nice to give it even a short season to wrap things up.

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2021 2:19 AM

[quote] 6"Under

"Six Inches Under"?

by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2021 2:25 AM

Cybil could’ve gone on longer.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2021 2:28 AM

Phyllis

Pasadena

The Fantastic Journey

Space: 1999

by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2021 2:29 AM

Flamingo Road. Yes, it was a super-trashy soap, but was very addictive and well-written by Rita Lakin. Great theme song. Howard Duff was excellent as the villain, and Morgan Fairchild was her regularly campy hoot. If it hadn't been on NBC, with its struggling prime time lineup across the board, it probably would've succeeded and lasted beyond two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2021 2:33 AM

Joannie Loves Chachi

by Anonymousreply 97June 3, 2021 2:36 AM

"Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."

by Anonymousreply 98June 3, 2021 2:38 AM

R73- I liked Rome too. Unfortunately the sets burned down which made it difficult to film anymore episodes. I read that each season cost $100 million to film. WOW

by Anonymousreply 99June 3, 2021 2:39 AM

Speaking of trashy night time soaps -- I enjoyed Savanah. The show actually seemed to have story lines and some long term plans and was not just going for the shock effect. It could have gone well past the second season. It is a little sad that they Dynasty reboot has lasted longer (what does a show have to do to get cancelled on the CW?)

by Anonymousreply 100June 3, 2021 2:40 AM

Bridget Loves Bernie

by Anonymousreply 101June 3, 2021 2:40 AM

The Family - Joan Allen is a politician whose young son disappeared ten years ago and presumed dead is found as a teenager. Teenager is not really their son and creepy and they slowly figure it out but keep up the farce for her career. Last episode of the season is real son calling home. Didn't get renewed for second season. So much potential this show had.

by Anonymousreply 102June 3, 2021 2:41 AM

Bloodline.

Looking.

by Anonymousreply 103June 3, 2021 2:42 AM

Ethel Loves Fred

by Anonymousreply 104June 3, 2021 2:44 AM

Good Christian Bitches.

Trial & Error

Kristin Chenoweth was in both.

by Anonymousreply 105June 3, 2021 2:49 AM

Santa Clarita Diet lasted three seasons, but I think it could have gone on one more season given what happened at the end of the last episode of season 3.

by Anonymousreply 106June 3, 2021 2:50 AM

R105 I agree on both of those shows. Good Christian Bitches would have been better off as a cable show.

by Anonymousreply 107June 3, 2021 2:50 AM

My So Called Life

The Addams Family

by Anonymousreply 108June 3, 2021 2:51 AM

Dark Shadows (1991)

The Exorcist

Damien

by Anonymousreply 109June 3, 2021 2:57 AM

Brimstone-late 90s supernatural show where Peter Horton played an NYPD detective who killed his wife's rapist in the 80s and died in a subway accident a month or so later. His character is sent to Hell and years later the Devil played by John Glover makes a deal with him to have him return to Earth to capture souls who escaped Hell. It was a weird show, but enjoyable given the guest actors who played the people/souls who escaped Hell.

by Anonymousreply 110June 3, 2021 3:01 AM

The least Netflix could do when it cancels a show like Glow or Santa Clarita Diet is to give it a 2-hour movie to wrap things up. It's a bummer to rewatch a series you know has no real ending.

Does anyone remember a show called Swingtown? It was about suburbanites exploring open marriage in the 70s. It had a good concept and good performances; it was originally supposed to go to Showtime and wound up on CBS. They had to sanitize the show to air it on network TV and that was its death knell.

by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2021 3:02 AM

I bet no one remembers VR.5! Lori Singer as a shut-in 90's cyberpunk with a mysterious tragic past, who discovers she can hack into peoples' subconscious to gain information and influence behavior. It's like Inception meets The Net. And it has *Louis Fletcher* as the creepiest mother since Flowers in the Attic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2021 3:03 AM

Dark Shadows (1991)

Yes! Season 2 was going to be the Quentin storyline and that fine ass Adrian Paul was going to play him.

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2021 3:09 AM

A New Day in Eden, cable soap from Doug Marland.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2021 3:10 AM

V- no the show was not as good as the series but it had potential. Though the planned killing of Julie in season 2 due to Faye Grant being unhappy the misogynistic writers sidelined Julie in favor of Donovan being the Leader would have been stupid.

Swing town- YES! Whoever said that you’re so right.

Guiding Light- still salty over that.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2021 3:11 AM

ahem, THE Guiding Light

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2021 3:12 AM

Darkroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]6"Under

R34 = Nigel Tufnel

by Anonymousreply 118June 3, 2021 3:14 AM

Fuck off, Cunt OP . . . Friends was a great show. I guess you prefer Supernatural or some other shitty CW trash.

by Anonymousreply 119June 3, 2021 3:14 AM

I might have missed it, but did anyone mention Happy Endings?

by Anonymousreply 120June 3, 2021 3:18 AM

Bakersfield, P. D.

The Critic

Women In Prison

by Anonymousreply 121June 3, 2021 3:18 AM

R119- The Munsters was a great show. All In The Family was a great show.

Friends was NOT a great show.

by Anonymousreply 122June 3, 2021 3:19 AM

Co-sign r120 and Happy Endings.

by Anonymousreply 123June 3, 2021 3:21 AM

Cruel Intentions. The leaked pilot was fun.

by Anonymousreply 124June 3, 2021 3:23 AM

There was some medical show on NBC in the 70s...it showed real life medical situations, but was not like the sleazy "reality" medical shows of today. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was a very good show but didn't last long. I don't think people wanted to see things like that then. But it was a very good show and should have stayed on longer.

by Anonymousreply 125June 3, 2021 3:35 AM

The Riches, lasted 1 season on FX, starred Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver as a shady married couple who took over the identities of an upper-middle class couple on their way to their new house in a gated community.

by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2021 3:37 AM

American Gothic with Gary Cole and Crime Story with Dennis Farina.

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2021 3:47 AM

MASH

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2021 3:57 AM

Action! is the show I always mention on these threads. Don't forget the exclamation mark!

The episode that sticks out in my mind is the one where Jay Mohr (then at his most fuckable) gets a blowjob from a dude. You don't witness the head bobbing up and down on his knob, but from the pleasured reactions on Mohr's face I could imagine it was myself doing the deed.

by Anonymousreply 129June 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

by Anonymousreply 130June 3, 2021 4:16 AM

I loved something called Beggars and Choosers on Showtime. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 131June 3, 2021 4:30 AM

R119 It's ok to have shit taste. Inelegant people are people too.

by Anonymousreply 132June 3, 2021 4:41 AM

"Mike and Molly" could have run at least one more season. The show boasted one of the best ensembles ever for a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 133June 3, 2021 4:49 AM

r25 I'd argue by season 3, Hannibal was no longer a series. It had morphed into something else that I lack the ability to describe

by Anonymousreply 134June 3, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote] "Law and Order"---Original. Because it wasn't allowed to beat the longevity record of "Gunsmoke."

It had nothing to do with that. Dick Wolf got into a pissing match with NBC about how much money NBC would pay for another season. Neither side would budge and Wolf just shut the whole show down, almost out of spite. It was a very last minute decision, after the 20th season finale had been shot and everyone thought they were coming back. That's why there was no series finale. If the show had come back, Kathryn Erbe in her Lt. Eames character from Criminal Intent was going to replace S. Epatha Merkerson as the precinct commander.

White Collar -- It was a very expensive show to produce. The ratings were good but not great and really didn't justify the cost. The producers didn't want to do the show on the cheap so they just shut it down.

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2021 4:57 AM

r126 The Riches had two seasons, the 2nd was cut short because of a writers strike and then it was cancelled

by Anonymousreply 136June 3, 2021 4:57 AM

r111 Netflix might still do a GLOW finale / movie. Netflix will continue to be the king of cancelling good shows because they wildly overspend on series, then cancel them if they aren't continuing to bring in new subscribers. Totally different economic motivation than what networks or even cable stations have.

Mark Maron talked about how GLOW might be good to finish as a movie because its so much cheaper than shooting a series. (All the scenes for a location can be shot together to save time and money with much less downtime).

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2021 5:02 AM

The Powers That Be was hilarious, and it had a brilliant cast. I was shocked that it didn’t find an audience.

I really enjoyed The 5 Mrs Buchanans. I still watch it on Youtube, and it holds up well.

The Class was another sitcom that I think had the potential to be every bit as good as Friends, but it seemed as if everyone involved in it lost faith in it by the last few episodes. I wonder if the cast &writers already knew it wouldn’t be renewed? I’m glad so many of the cast went on to better things.

Savannah had George Eads wrapped in a towel, which at that time I could have watched for at least another few years.

On a more recent note, I only discovered Superstore a few months ago and was extremely dismayed when I heard it was coming to an end. I know America Ferrera wanted to leave, but the characters were so strong that I think it could have gone on without her for another few years. It had so many strong characters and the writing never dropped in quality.

I loved The Trials of Rosie O’Neill, because I love Sharon Gless. The series had such a wistful tone. I really loved it.

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2021 5:19 AM

My all-time favorite tv show that died too soon is Pushing Daisies. It’s amazing that such an original show got on network tv and wasn’t canceled after 1 season. It should’ve gone on much longer than 2 glorious seasons. A well-written show that has its premise a pie baker who has the ability to temporarily revive the dead, it deserved more than just critical acclaim that it received. A network tv show that featured an episode with Ellen Greene, Kristin Chenoweth, and Swoozie Kurtz singing Birdhouse in Your Soul. That’s how wtf and whimsical it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 3, 2021 5:22 AM

Don't Trust the B in Apt 23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 3, 2021 5:29 AM

I agree about My So-Called Life, Savannah, The Family and Looking and I add:

Jericho - Nuts! Seaquest DSV Galactica 1980 Knots Landing Queer As Folk US Melrose Place reboot Dallas reboot Bossom Buddies Teen Wolf Boy Meets Boy Playing It Straight Some of My Best Friends The Mole Bootcamp The Greatest American Hero Under the Dome Flash Foward Last Resort Champions

by Anonymousreply 141June 3, 2021 6:08 AM

Rome (see above). Any talks of revival/continuation?

by Anonymousreply 142June 3, 2021 11:02 AM

Another Fox show that just couldn't make it was called "Reunion". Another high concept Fox show that was probably ahead of its time. I also loved the show the Loop with that cutie pie Bret Harrison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 3, 2021 1:30 PM

Jericho. I’d forgotten about that one. Dystopian and frightening but I think it was running out of plots.

by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2021 1:34 PM

R135- I ALWAYS thought that Law And Order: Criminal Intent was a better show than SVU or even the original Law And Order.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2021 1:50 PM

^Definitely better written, but I couldn't take that Vincent guy with his affected acting, complete with tics. Give me Meloni any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2021 2:20 PM

R146- Do you mean Goren?

I couldn't take Stabler and his moral ( Bridge and Tunnel) outrage in every other scene.

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2021 2:25 PM

Vincent D'Onofrio drove me crazy, too, r146. Tic, tic, tic, tic, tic............You will look at MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2021 2:50 PM

No show ended too soon. Even the brilliant ones like the original The Office was right to quit after two short seasons. There was nothing left to say. Everything more would just ruin it. But there are millions of shows that stayed on way too long.

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2021 3:19 PM

Yes we know you want the Comeback & Enlightened because you’re always talking about them. They weren’t that great & the6 didn’t end too soon.

As for Rome, it was supplanted by GoT. Rome was very expensive, lasted 2 seasons but didn’t get great ratings. It was poorly advertised, showing blood & Julius Caesar’s red painted face all the time. If they’d used other imagery, maybe people wouldve bothered watching, but it looked like a 1950s biblical/Roman/Egypt saga from the 1950s in the previews. Lots of yelling, painted faces, swords raised, puddles of blood. Really poor marketing.

So Rome was cancelled due to poor viewership and HBO was greed to pick up Game of Thrones, which opened up with magic zombies. The very first scene is about guys from a scary icy castle hunting for people & coming up against magic zombies who commit an atrocity in a snowy forest. It was practically an instant hit.

The main character was unexpectedly killed off. This was super-surprising to younger audiences who never saw Psycho. How can they doooooo that? And GoT had a blonde sexpot taking off her clothes in practically every scene she was in...plus she had witchy superpowers. And then...dragons.

Compare that to the underwhelming sexiness of Cleopatra in Rome and her dwarfy companion (who was no Tyrion Lannister). Cleo was dull as dishwater.

Atia of the Julii was sexy, but too campy by a mile. She was no match for Cersei Lannister.

Servilia, let’s face it, had seen her best years a few decades previously.

Octavia was wan, skinny & gawky looking when they forced her gross sex scenes upon us.

Octavian was clinically brutal, while Joffrey was maniacally brutal.

Cersei and her brother Jamie weren’t as horrifying in their incest as Octavia & Octavian in Rome.

Julius Caesar had a bit of a speech impediment and couldn’t hold a torch to Tywin Lannister. He was better in a secondary role as the leader of the wildlings.

Basically, GoT took the characters from Rome and improved on them while adding magic/witches/dragons. Rome was a dress rehearsal for GoT. Unfortunately GoT had a Wizard of Oz-type ending where everybody goes through hell only to learn that it was all going to be neatly tied up in a bundle after all kinds of people (and dogs - large & small) went through a shitload of suffering for you.

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2021 3:55 PM

Freaks and Geeks is the most perfect example of a great show that ended too soon. NBC kept fucking with the airtime and postponing episodes just when they should have been nurturing for a growing audience. I recall searching each week to figure out what date and time it will be on or if it was airing at all. But it is possible that the quality would not have been consistent if there was a second season.

by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2021 3:58 PM

Happy Endings!

by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2021 3:58 PM

I thought "Enlisted" was great and would have watched more, and not just for Parker Young and Chris Lowell. I also liked "Happy Endings" a lot but wonder if it would have gotten annoying after much longer.

I'm super bummed that "The Society" on Netflix won't be getting any more seasons. I totally got into it and there was also a cute gay subplot.

by Anonymousreply 153June 3, 2021 4:02 PM

Dead like me

by Anonymousreply 154June 3, 2021 4:07 PM

I think Dead Like Me is ending right on schedule, but we’ll have to wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 155June 3, 2021 4:13 PM

A Year in the Life OWNS THIS THREAD.

The show was fantastic, but cancelled after a year. Cursed -- almost everyone is either dead, died of drug-related issues, or 'the AIDS'.

David Oliver: AIDS

Morgan Stevens: Beat the hell up by cops about four years later, never recovered.

Amanda Peterson: Huge drug issues...finally dropped dead.

And of course we can't forget, DL Fav Sarah Jessica Parker, before her Horseface Period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 3, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] NBC kept fucking with the airtime and postponing episodes just when they should have been nurturing for a growing audience.

When it comes to Friends, don’t forget NBC marathon-nighted it a couple of times to get attention. They would show back-to-back episodes, then the following night they’d do the same thing. They should’ve done this with more series to get an audience

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2021 4:21 PM

OP, you have good taste. What else would you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 158June 3, 2021 4:22 PM

If we’re brining back any SJP show at all it should be Square Pegs.

by Anonymousreply 159June 3, 2021 4:23 PM

Speaking of Aaron spelling’s ‘Savannah’ which I rather enjoyed there was ‘2000 Malibu road’ as well which I think was a great night time soap starting drew Barrymore and Jennifer beals.

by Anonymousreply 160June 3, 2021 4:57 PM

Fair Exchange

by Anonymousreply 161June 3, 2021 6:07 PM

The Mick. I’ll never understand why Fox canceled it when it seemed to be doing well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 3, 2021 6:10 PM

My partner and I used to refer to L&O:CI as "If Jessica Fletcher was suffering from Asperger's". It became pretty formulaic early on: Goren would gather suspects and co-conspirators in an interrogation room, start getting into their faces, wildly gesticulating and doing his little Asperger's dance and they would start confessing spontaneously, while Kathryn Erbe and Eric Bogossian would make some snarky comments behind the glass.

by Anonymousreply 163June 3, 2021 6:24 PM

I liked Law and Order: Trial by Jury

by Anonymousreply 164June 3, 2021 6:28 PM

[quote] The Critic

I agree. I did a rewatch of this show on Crackle around the holidays and it should have lasted longer.

by Anonymousreply 165June 4, 2021 12:51 AM

AMC’s “Rubicon” (someone else mentioned it and I’m seconding it.

“Head Case” and “Party Down” on Starz.

Also “Freaks and Geeks”.

by Anonymousreply 166June 4, 2021 12:59 AM

The OA. I want to know where it was going.

by Anonymousreply 167June 4, 2021 1:09 AM

He & She

The Big Gay Sketch Show

Jonathan Creek

by Anonymousreply 168June 4, 2021 1:48 AM

The Melrose Place reboot that lasted just one season on The CW was awful at first but by mid-season rebooted itself and was really good from mid-season on. And then it got canceled.

Meanwhile, The CW's shitty Dynasty reboot no one watches has somehow gone on for three or four seasons and is already renewed for this season that just started AND another season beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 169June 4, 2021 2:54 AM

Trophy Wife on ABC

by Anonymousreply 170June 4, 2021 3:48 AM

The Munsters

by Anonymousreply 171June 4, 2021 4:11 AM

Gidget

by Anonymousreply 172June 4, 2021 4:11 AM

Fair Exchange, mentioned above, was the very first TV show brought back after cancellation due to a huge write-in campaign directed at CBS. It flopped again.

by Anonymousreply 173June 4, 2021 2:56 PM

I loved Fair Exchange, r173. It was my intro to Judy Carne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 4, 2021 3:11 PM

Once and Again was great, and aged quite well. It definitively deserved a couple of more seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175June 4, 2021 3:12 PM

"Life"

"Incorporated"

"Almost Human"

"Humans"

"Firefly"

"Jupiter's Legacy"

by Anonymousreply 176June 4, 2021 3:13 PM

Thanks to this thread, I'm re-watching Getting On and it's just as good as I remember. It holds up well. One of the best black comedies ever. The actors are all outstanding. Funny moments touched with heartbreaking moments touched with unexpected acts of kindness.

by Anonymousreply 177June 4, 2021 3:23 PM

Now and Again -- Some overweight man's brain is preserved in Eric Close's (in his prime) body. While it sounds like it could be amazingly bad, it was a decent drama with some suspense. Sadly, it also ended on a big cliffhanger (I think midseason there were signs it would be renewed, but did not happen).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 4, 2021 3:24 PM

R178 I loved that show and was so disappointed that it wasn’t renewed. .

by Anonymousreply 179June 4, 2021 4:03 PM

Friday Night Lights - I could watch 20 seasons of this show and the characters Texas small town drama.

by Anonymousreply 180June 4, 2021 5:01 PM

R150 must be a blast at a party!

by Anonymousreply 181June 4, 2021 5:14 PM

Brooklyn Bridge-CBS drama about a Jewish family in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 182June 4, 2021 5:21 PM

Wild Wild West

by Anonymousreply 183June 4, 2021 5:24 PM

You're in the Picture!

by Anonymousreply 184June 4, 2021 7:00 PM

"Nurse" starring Michael Learned

by Anonymousreply 185June 4, 2021 7:34 PM

Planet Of The Apes (1974)

by Anonymousreply 186June 4, 2021 7:40 PM

Battle of the Network Stars

by Anonymousreply 187June 4, 2021 7:48 PM

I'm surprised they haven't brought back Battle of the Network Stars. I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to produce, plus you get a bunch of B and C listers and pay them $10,000 for the episode and you're good to go, so how expensive could it be?

by Anonymousreply 188June 4, 2021 7:57 PM

Battle of the Streaming and Premium Cable stars!

by Anonymousreply 189June 4, 2021 8:07 PM

Circus of the Stars but with Real Housewives falling off the trapeze onto their faces!

by Anonymousreply 190June 4, 2021 8:08 PM

I'm not certain, but weren't circuses cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 191June 4, 2021 8:17 PM

Going back to the 80s:

It's Your Move

Taxi

MacGruder and Loud

I want so badly to say Moonlighting, but considering how much the quality tanked by the end, it was best to put it out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 192June 4, 2021 8:21 PM

Sense8

Loose ends not tied up. Needs another season at least!

by Anonymousreply 193June 4, 2021 8:24 PM

R193, they did a final 2 hour movie/episode that tied up the loose ends.

by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2021 8:31 PM

Another vote for I'll Fly Away. Great show that was cancelled too soon.

Also, Homicide: Life on the Street although they did film a TV movie to let us know how everyone ended up.

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2021 8:44 PM

Homefront was another good one.

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2021 8:54 PM

Because of this thread I'm watching Devious Maids on Tubi TV.

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote]I'm surprised they haven't brought back Battle of the Network Stars. I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to produce, plus you get a bunch of B and C listers and pay them $10,000 for the episode and you're good to go, so how expensive could it be?

It was revived for awhile in the summer of 2017.

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2021 9:01 PM

[quote]The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd. The show had some great music.

The music is probably the reason we never saw it streamed or released on DVD.

r156, I loved A Year in the Life, too. I wish NBC hadn't taken the title literally. Another Brand-Falsey show that should have lived longer is I'll Fly Away.

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2021 9:04 PM

People of Earth on TBS

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] I also liked "Happy Endings" a lot but wonder if it would have gotten annoying after much longer.

It was reaired for awhile on a cable network can't remember which one. I did notice there were storylines mostly involving Penny and Max that were annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 201June 4, 2021 9:17 PM

The most recent Jonathan Creek special, Demon's Roost, was a dud, R168. And the fifth season received mixed reviews, as well.

by Anonymousreply 202June 4, 2021 9:53 PM

Fawlty Towers, although that's the way John Cleese wanted it. Great show and I watch the whole thing every few years. It holds up well.

by Anonymousreply 203June 4, 2021 9:57 PM

Dancing with the Stars is the current show taking the space that Battle of the Network Stars and its other incarnations used to occupy.

by Anonymousreply 204June 4, 2021 10:04 PM

R204 But DWTS doesn’t have hunky guys in speedos. It should hav been called Bulges of the Network Stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 4, 2021 10:27 PM

Good Girls Revolt

by Anonymousreply 206June 4, 2021 11:24 PM

Journeyman

Frank's Place

by Anonymousreply 207June 5, 2021 12:35 AM

R174: I loved Fair Exchange too.

by Anonymousreply 208June 5, 2021 12:43 AM

Blood Drive

by Anonymousreply 209June 5, 2021 1:24 AM

"Also, Homicide: Life on the Street although they did film a TV movie to let us know how everyone ended up."

"Homicide: Life on the Street" stayed on WAY LONG than it should have. It stayed on 7 years, an amazingly long time for a low rated, expensive to produce show to be on. It had insane, rabid fans. After it was finally cancelled its nutty fans posted on a blog about the show that of course another network would certainly pick it up. I posted that that seemed highly unlikely, and they screamed "ANOTHER NETWORIK WILL PICK IT UP. YES IT WILL, YES IT WILL, IT'S NOT OVER, H:LOTS WILL CONTINUE, YES IT WILL, YES IT WILL!!!!" They were totally crazy.

by Anonymousreply 210June 5, 2021 1:32 AM

Agent Carter

Limitless

Timeless

Sense8

Altered Carbon

All Is Forgiven

The Book of Daniel

by Anonymousreply 211June 5, 2021 1:38 AM

Could Bewitched have gone on any longer or was it running on fumes at the end? My favorite series ever.

by Anonymousreply 212June 5, 2021 1:51 AM

I'm going to repeat the original Law & Order. The show had the best overall ensemble cast it had had in several years and the ratings were going up. It was just, as said, a pissing contest between NBC and Dick Wolf over money.

NBC had always given Wolf a budget for production and a separate payment for his services as producer. Wolf wanted a big increase for both. NBC wasn't willing to pay as much as Wolf demanded. Finally NBC made a counter offer. They would give him a big lump sum to cover both and he could pay himself as much as he wanted as producer, with the rest going to production costs. They played a game of chicken until the show was dead at Wolf's hand.

We wound up with SVU only and Mariska in charge as executive producer of that show, running on empty fumes for years now.

by Anonymousreply 213June 5, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote]Could Bewitched have gone on any longer or was it running on fumes at the end? My favorite series ever.

Big fan of Bewitched, but it had been running on fumes for awhile. They were not only recycling jokes and magic disasters at the end, they were completely reusing scripts from the earlier seasons. Plus, while Montgomery was charming until the end she was kind of going through the motions if you compare her work at the end to her earlier work.

by Anonymousreply 214June 5, 2021 2:21 AM

Enlisted

The Finder

Constantine

The Tomorrow People

The Tick (Live Action with Patrick Warburton)

Caprica

Moonlight

Police Squad!

John Doe

Invasion

Surface

New Amsterdam

Greg The Bunny

BrainDead

The Cape

Deadly Class

by Anonymousreply 215June 5, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]Another Fox show that just couldn't make it was called "Reunion". Another high concept Fox show that was probably ahead of its time. I also loved the show the Loop with that cutie pie Bret Harrison.

I remember Reunion and FOX had messed around with the airing schedule several times due to the World Series and other events.

by Anonymousreply 216June 5, 2021 4:34 AM

Was Reunion the one with the beautiful Sean Faris who always ends up on shows that die a quick death unfortunately?

by Anonymousreply 217June 5, 2021 4:44 AM

Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2021 4:58 AM

[quote]Big fan of Bewitched, but it had been running on fumes for awhile. They were not only recycling jokes and magic disasters at the end, they were completely reusing scripts from the earlier seasons. Plus, while Montgomery was charming until the end she was kind of going through the motions if you compare her work at the end to her earlier work.

I just happened to read here recently that "Bewitched" would have ended after season 6 or 7 because Elizabeth Montgomery had had enough and wanted to move on but ABC offered her a ton of money to change her mind, which she did, and thus the show ended up running 8 seasons. (They wanted a 9th but she refused any further offers.) I agree with R214 that by the 8th season the show was running on fumes (including, as R214 notes, repeating scripts from previous seasons) but they still turned out a few original gems, one of which turned out to be one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Entitled "Samantha Is Earthbound," Samantha contracts some weird disease (as she often did) that initially elevates her weight to 500 pounds (causing her to crash through the floor), then, after one of Dr. Bombay's questionable cures, the situation reverses and she suddenly becomes light as a feather, literally floating away unless Darrin physically holds her down to keep her on the ground. It was a great episode.

by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2021 6:23 AM

I fell like My Mother The Car had another couple of seasons in it.

by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2021 9:20 AM

Happy Endings

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. I wanted the cop Jack to end up with the working class communist guy Bert. I used to imagine some homoerotic tension between them.

by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2021 10:37 AM

Veep

by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2021 11:04 AM

Police Woman with MISS Angie Dickenson.

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2021 1:56 PM

Rome Deadwood Pushing Daisies Firefly

by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2021 2:42 PM

People of Earth

by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2021 2:57 PM

Happy Endings

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2021 2:59 PM

Designing Women. I wanted Delta and Jean to return for one final season with the original cast all back together.

by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2021 3:10 PM

Dallas 2012 - ended after Larry Hagman died, but Judith Light. Mitch Pileggi and Josh Henderson were great and could have carried it

Central Park West, aka CPW - loved this one

Freaks and Geeks, naturally

Mrs Fletcher - i could have continued watching that

by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2021 3:40 PM

R150 you are forgetting about Spartacus. Came way before GoT and after Rome.

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2021 4:39 PM

R229 one year is way before?

by Anonymousreply 230June 5, 2021 5:33 PM

The Simpsons, NCIS, and Grey's Anatomy. Wait, what? They're STILL on? Good Lord.

by Anonymousreply 231June 5, 2021 5:51 PM

Beyond Belief

by Anonymousreply 232June 5, 2021 8:57 PM

"People of Earth" for sure. Damn. I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 233June 5, 2021 9:19 PM

Elvis, with Michael St Gerard

by Anonymousreply 234June 5, 2021 9:29 PM

R233 I miss Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 235June 5, 2021 9:31 PM

My list. I know they've all been mentioned.

Pushing Daisies

Trial & Error

Good Christian Bitches

Gross Pointe

The Mick

Happy Endings

Days and Nights of Molly Dodd - my final inspiration to move to NYC in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 236June 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Already listed which I agree with:

The Mick

Happy Endings

Days and Nights of Molly Dodd

Dark Shadows (1990)

Action

Profit

American Gothic (1995)

Secrets of Midland Heights

Ozark (ending in July 2021)

Those Who Can't

Southland

The Night Stalker (1975)

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote] Was Reunion the one with the beautiful Sean Faris who always ends up on shows that die a quick death unfortunately?

Yup, he was on it. Dave Annable was also on Reunion and he's another actor who has been on several shows that were canned quickly.

by Anonymousreply 238June 5, 2021 11:43 PM

Supernatural.

Should have gone for at least 20 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 239June 5, 2021 11:48 PM

Southland was one of the best, most intense, most under-rated shows ever.

But it was so low-rated (sadly) that it's amazing they got as many seasons as they did. They had a pretty decent run. I would have loved more, but it's hard to say it "ended too soon".

by Anonymousreply 240June 6, 2021 12:30 AM

More love here for PEOPLE OF EARTH! I still have the 2nd season on my DVR.

by Anonymousreply 241June 6, 2021 12:44 AM

R236 Sadly, Blair Brown is still awaiting the extra residuals, on your behalf, that she receives for luring people back to the city.

by Anonymousreply 242June 6, 2021 12:49 AM

The New Zoo Revue

by Anonymousreply 243June 6, 2021 1:11 AM

Hodge Podge Lodge, never did find out if that old bitch ever got out of the woods.

by Anonymousreply 244June 6, 2021 1:13 AM

[qupte] More love here for PEOPLE OF EARTH! I still have the 2nd season on my DVR.

I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1. I hated how TBS renewed it for a third season and then reversed the decision later on.

by Anonymousreply 245June 6, 2021 1:16 AM

I love that r150's main criterion for judging "Rome" is whether the main actors were pretty enough and young enough.

Datalounge, don't ever change.

by Anonymousreply 246June 6, 2021 1:18 AM

Joya's Fun School

by Anonymousreply 247June 6, 2021 1:31 AM

R246- I thought ROME was far more entertaining than Game Of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 248June 6, 2021 1:32 AM

The Magic Garden

by Anonymousreply 249June 6, 2021 1:35 AM

I still wanted Mr. Rogers to come back and do that very special episode explaining to young people what 9/11 was.

by Anonymousreply 250June 6, 2021 1:37 AM

Lost.

by Anonymousreply 251June 6, 2021 1:43 AM

[quote]r11 I'll Fly Away. God, I loved this show so much, but I must've been the only one, because it barely lasted two seasons. Remarkable writing and acting. Was way too good for network TV.

Amy Ryan, who was on “The Office” and nominated for “Gone Baby Gone”, had a part on that show. It was kind of “A Place in the Sun”-ish.... she had to get a backstreet abortion.

by Anonymousreply 252June 6, 2021 1:44 AM

I would like to see a reunion show of Buddy, Nancy, Willie and Annie Cooper coming together to celebrate Mama Kate’s hundredth birthday and fight each other tooth and nail for who gets to the house as they finally move her into the old people’s home.

by Anonymousreply 253June 6, 2021 1:48 AM

R252 Her boyfriend drowns her after the abortion?

by Anonymousreply 254June 6, 2021 1:49 AM

^^ no... the storyline just has some of that vintage unwanted pregnancy what-do-we-do vibe.

I just remembered Deborah Hedwall (who recently slapped the SHIT out of Kate Winslett on “Mare of East Town”) was in “I’ll Fly Away,” too.

by Anonymousreply 255June 6, 2021 1:54 AM

Call to Glory

by Anonymousreply 256June 6, 2021 1:56 AM

R253- Willie (Gary Frank) is an OLD bag himself now- he's 70 years old

by Anonymousreply 257June 6, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]R146 I couldn't take that Vincent guy with his affected acting, complete with tics.

I found his style unwatchable, as well! It was so self-indulgent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 6, 2021 2:21 AM

Law And Order : Criminal Intent was still the BEST of all the L&O shows in spite of Goren constantly tilting his head like a quizzical bird in every other scene.

by Anonymousreply 259June 6, 2021 2:25 AM

Bionic Woman. It only ran two and a half seasons.

by Anonymousreply 260June 6, 2021 3:30 AM

R260 Sadder still, Bigfoot never got that spin off show either.

by Anonymousreply 261June 6, 2021 3:40 AM

Three's A Crowd. John Ritter was his usual wonderful self. He and Mary Cadorette were charming together, and Robert Mandan made for a terrific foil. Three's Company was running on fumes its last couple of seasons, and I just think there was no more interest in the Jack Tripper character. Still it was a sweet, funny show that deserved a longer life. Perhaps if they had included Joyce, the show would've lasted longer.

by Anonymousreply 262June 6, 2021 3:43 AM

"Nothing Sacred," a drama series about a priest on ABC back in the late '90s.

by Anonymousreply 263June 6, 2021 3:54 AM

"The Wonder Years"; we spend five seasons watching Kevin, Winnie, and Paul growing up, and then ABC sees fit to cancel it just as they were starting their senior year in high school. We should've seen them graduate.

by Anonymousreply 264June 6, 2021 4:17 AM

Wonder Woman

by Anonymousreply 265June 6, 2021 4:20 AM

Kevin turned into a bitter, frustrated loser once he got to high school. Tee Wonder Years was cancelled for good reason, imo.

by Anonymousreply 266June 6, 2021 4:38 AM

[quote]R262 Three's A Crowd. John Ritter was his usual wonderful self. He and Mary Cadorette were charming together

Not everyone thinks so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267June 6, 2021 6:24 AM

i disagree with those who think Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was cancelled too soon. As great as it was in the beginning, it ran out of steam halfway through its first season and became a chore to watch. Don't get me started on Fernwood Tonight.

R243, this is for you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 6, 2021 8:20 AM

Rome.

by Anonymousreply 269June 6, 2021 1:18 PM

59 Minutes ended too soon. I’m glad they extended it.

by Anonymousreply 270June 6, 2021 1:43 PM

HR Pufnstuf

by Anonymousreply 271June 6, 2021 3:55 PM

[quote] "The Wonder Years"; we spend five seasons watching Kevin, Winnie, and Paul growing up, and then ABC sees fit to cancel it just as they were starting their senior year in high school. We should've seen them graduate.

Didn't Winnie get killed off by then?

by Anonymousreply 272June 6, 2021 4:38 PM

Winnie just got into a car accident and ended up with a broken leg. There were several episodes of her in a long leg cast and the cast came off before the start of the school.

by Anonymousreply 273June 6, 2021 6:49 PM

NBC’s stately, slow-burning and sumptuous speculative drama KINGS (2009). This is high praise, coming from someone as staunchly anti-Christian as I.

Despite having an enormous world through which to roam and a wealth of source material from which to pull (the entire first half of the Bible), as well as a beautiful and prestigious end product to show for Michael Green’s efforts, KINGS ran for only 13 episodes over one summer and drew very low viewing figures. Critics raved, though.

The cast was as glittering and accomplished as the cinematography—Ian McShane, Susanna Thompson, Brian Cox, Eamonn Walker, and Dylan Baker. Sebastian Stan played his tortured privileged gay best, and Leslie Bibb was wonderfully and deliciously haute-bitchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 6, 2021 7:09 PM

Falcons Landing

by Anonymousreply 275June 6, 2021 7:53 PM

I kind of liked the TV series Dracula on NBC, but it might have had a better and longer life on something like HBO or AMC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276June 6, 2021 7:57 PM

[italic]Taxi[/italic] and [italic]Soap[/italic] should have ended no earlier than 1985.

by Anonymousreply 277June 6, 2021 8:02 PM

"Cliffhangers" from 1979. As I remember it, some of the stories weren't even finished when it stopped airing. It was a lot of fun, although I really only remember the vampire part of it.

by Anonymousreply 278June 6, 2021 8:05 PM

Hello, Larry

Nanny and the Professor

by Anonymousreply 279June 6, 2021 8:08 PM

R276 Tanks awfully, love!

by Anonymousreply 280June 6, 2021 8:19 PM

Being Bobbaaaayyyyy Brown

by Anonymousreply 281June 6, 2021 8:49 PM

Little House: A New Beginning. Why did NBC cancel it after one season? It finished the season a respectable #28 in the ratings. There were still more stories to tell, even though Ma and Pa were longer on the show.

by Anonymousreply 282June 6, 2021 11:19 PM

"I am Cait". The adventures and dialogue on the trans bus were captivating.

by Anonymousreply 283June 6, 2021 11:33 PM

Voyagers. As a teen gayling, one look at Jon-Erik Hexum and I had no doubt about what turned me on. THAT CHEST! Shame it only lasted for one season, if only to drink in JEH's beauty on a weekly basis.

by Anonymousreply 284June 6, 2021 11:37 PM

Deadwood

Law & Order (yes, it ran 20 seasons, but was hitting its stride with its last core cast that could have gone on for at least 5 more seasons when it was canceled)

Undeclared

Justice League Unlimited

Picket Fences

by Anonymousreply 285June 7, 2021 6:23 AM

Kirk, the show I did on the WB from 1995 to 1997. They let a show with two cartoon mice run long enough to run it into the ground, so why not my show?

by Anonymousreply 286June 7, 2021 8:32 AM

James at 15, James at 16….

by Anonymousreply 287June 7, 2021 8:50 AM

Kay O'Brien, starring DL fave Patricia Kalember.

by Anonymousreply 288June 7, 2021 12:22 PM

R213- That show is so WOKE now.

It should be called WOKE and Order SVU

by Anonymousreply 289June 7, 2021 12:26 PM

I loved Picket Fences, but it fell apart pretty fast. I guess it was around the third season where it just weird and silly for the sake of being weird and silly. All I remember now was an ongoing gag/story about the female deputy and her vibrator. WTF? It did however also have a young and dreamy Costas Mandylor...

by Anonymousreply 290June 7, 2021 12:29 PM

High Society

by Anonymousreply 291June 7, 2021 3:51 PM

The Pruitts of Southampton. Not only starring Phyllis Diller and Gypsy Rose Lee but based on a novel by Patrick Dennis!

by Anonymousreply 292June 7, 2021 4:41 PM

And on the other end, Pose overstayed it’s welcome by two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 293June 7, 2021 4:50 PM

The Pruitts of Southampton sounded good on paper but in actual production it was witless claptrap. It's famous for how bad it was.

by Anonymousreply 294June 7, 2021 5:08 PM

Life With Lucy could've gone on for years. Lucy and Gale Gordon still had it! Unfortunately, it was in a bad time slot.

by Anonymousreply 295June 7, 2021 5:10 PM

Police Squad!

by Anonymousreply 296June 7, 2021 5:18 PM

"Here Come the Mertzes" should've lasted a good five seasons, but Viv's total mental collapse at being forced to do a bedroom scene with Bill Frawley squashed that. And Bill's anger when she overheard Viv begging Desi to "Get me a fucking body double. Hell, I'd rather fuck Cecil Kellaway than that old goat" compounded the issue.

by Anonymousreply 297June 7, 2021 6:10 PM

The nonexistence of [italic]Silver Spoons: The College Years[/italic] will always leave me wondering what could have been.

by Anonymousreply 298June 7, 2021 6:47 PM

R298 - well, thank goodness we had "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" at least! (The big, muscular guy was kind of hot.)

by Anonymousreply 299June 7, 2021 7:03 PM

Not good enough.

by Anonymousreply 300June 7, 2021 7:12 PM

[quote] thank goodness we had "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" at least! (The big, muscular guy was kind of hot.)

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen? It was just the traditional Freshmen 20.

by Anonymousreply 301June 7, 2021 10:11 PM

Joannie Loves Chachi

by Anonymousreply 302June 7, 2021 10:45 PM

Makin It

by Anonymousreply 303June 7, 2021 10:56 PM

Blansky's Beauties

by Anonymousreply 304June 8, 2021 1:24 AM

Emily's Reasons Why Not

by Anonymousreply 305June 8, 2021 3:41 AM

Although she's a complete stupid Trump clown I thought "Fat Actress" with Kirstie Alley was fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 306June 8, 2021 3:53 AM

The best and smartest adult newshour ever produced, "NBC News Overnight" hosted by the brilliant Linda Ellerbee (who was even too good for this excellent newshour) that aired weekday mornings from 1:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. on Fridays.

This was pre-CNN and the 24-hour news cycle, so it was new and instantly discovered and rabidly enjoyed by night owls and third-shifters everywhere. Knowing there was no competition Ellerbee reported on all manner of curious and fascinating news stories in segments which were only as long as the stories required with a world-weary cheekiness that never stepped out of bounds. Being a fan of "Overnight" was like being on the list at an underground nightclub and everyone I found interesting seemed to watch it.

It was the very definition of "too good to last" and in a year and a half it was gone. I was newly eighteen working the graveyard shift at a small 24-hour business and it made me feel like a cool adult for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 307June 8, 2021 4:05 AM

OMG, yes, R307. I'd forgotten all about LInda Ellerbee. What a great program.

by Anonymousreply 308June 8, 2021 5:00 AM

Trial & Error was hilarious, and pretty much the last network sitcom I liked other than The Kids Are Alright—also cancelled.

Hulu was really stupid to cancel Shrill. They didn’t even tell the creators it was cancelled and they had to cobble together a series finale with editing.

Good Behavior was great. Michelle Dockery was fantastic, and it was like they never even officially cancelled it..it was just gone.

I thought Another Period was SO stupid, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 309June 8, 2021 5:14 AM

Another vote for Gross Pointe

by Anonymousreply 310June 8, 2021 5:26 AM

Difficult People on Hulu. It ran about 3 seasons, but it just kept getting better. Then boom, gone. Andrea Martin was hilarious (as usual).

by Anonymousreply 311June 8, 2021 11:41 AM

"Carnivale", the 24 episode series on HBO about a carnival traveling the dust bowl in the 1930's.

(featuring the 19 year old carny, Ben Hawkins, played by Nick Stahl, as the lead character)

by Anonymousreply 312June 8, 2021 1:56 PM

Quantum Leap

by Anonymousreply 313June 8, 2021 2:36 PM

Dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 314June 8, 2021 2:39 PM

Anything with Miss Rebecca Balding was canceled before its time.

by Anonymousreply 315June 8, 2021 3:50 PM

One Step Beyond

by Anonymousreply 316June 8, 2021 5:36 PM

The backdoor Empty Nest pilot

by Anonymousreply 317June 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Boardwalk Empire could've used a couple more seasons. The last season felt really rushed, as if they tried to cram 3 seasons worth of storylines into one. HBO ended it because GOT needed most of the production budget.

by Anonymousreply 318June 8, 2021 8:43 PM

R315: Mommy, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 319June 8, 2021 10:09 PM

Wendy Dallas would be about 42 years old now. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 320June 8, 2021 10:22 PM

Did Jody Dallas make through the AIDS crisis?

by Anonymousreply 321June 8, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] Did Jody Dallas make through the AIDS crisis?

The answer to these and other questions on the next episode of... oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 322June 8, 2021 10:31 PM

Ted Wass made me realize I was gay. When I first laid eyes on him, I realized there was no turning back.

by Anonymousreply 323June 8, 2021 10:33 PM

Ted's Danny was hotter than Bob Urich's Peter, who was plenty hot as it was.

Anyone else think Bob was a closet case who enjoyed Chuck's hands?

by Anonymousreply 324June 8, 2021 10:41 PM

At least those aliens who kidnapped me didn't get into that kinky stuff.

by Anonymousreply 325June 8, 2021 11:15 PM

I wouldn't say that.

by Anonymousreply 326June 8, 2021 11:20 PM

Alice.

A few more seasons and La Lavin could have treated us to a grunge version of the title song!

by Anonymousreply 327June 9, 2021 9:39 PM

Gunsmoke

by Anonymousreply 328June 9, 2021 9:41 PM

R327 we should have had at least more season so we didn't have to go out with "boppity-bop". "la la la la" in La Lavin's voice was heaven, boppity-bop made me want to slam my fingers in the car door.

by Anonymousreply 329June 10, 2021 1:24 PM

I'm not entirely convinced that Linda Lavin, Jessica Walter, and Michele Lee are not all the same person.

by Anonymousreply 330June 11, 2021 2:40 AM

Michele Lee is the best singer out of all of those and the only reason she let Linda Lavin have [italic]Gypsy[/italic] is because her show was still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 331June 11, 2021 5:40 AM

R331 Knot’s Landing?

by Anonymousreply 332June 11, 2021 5:56 AM

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 333June 11, 2021 5:57 AM

I am thirding "Rubicon". This had the potential to be a great show. And really showed James Badge Dale could be a sexy mofo.

by Anonymousreply 334June 11, 2021 11:53 AM

"Knot’s Landing"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 335June 11, 2021 12:41 PM

Christ, how did that show go on for 14 seasons, apostrophe or not.

by Anonymousreply 336June 11, 2021 1:00 PM

We need some more seasons of Law and Order: SVU- 22 seasons of this show is NOT enough.

by Anonymousreply 337June 11, 2021 1:03 PM

I used to love SVU for its campy plot twists. I tried watching a few current episodes on hulu, and I found them unwatchable. They're unbearably woke and PC.

by Anonymousreply 338June 11, 2021 1:25 PM

"The Philanthropist" with James Purefoy and Jesse L. Martin.

I'll agree with "Happy Endings" and "Central Park West."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339June 11, 2021 2:10 PM

I wanted way more of the charmings. Really. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340June 11, 2021 3:26 PM

I’m already pissed off about Ozark ending at season 4 before it has even dropped on Netflix. I think it could have gone 5 seasons but hopefully Jason Bateman, Laura Linney and co end on a high.

by Anonymousreply 341June 11, 2021 3:34 PM

I can't remember the name of it or who was in it (otherwise I'd google it) but there was a sitcom on ABC a few years ago that was ridiculed ahead of its premiere but turned out to actually be quite funny, surprising even some of the critics who initially panned it. It was about aliens who came to earth who were living like regular people next door to this other family. It was a silly show but the writing was just smart enough to make it work, helped along by a first-rate cast, particularly the actor who played the head of the alien family. I think it only lasted about two seasons but I recall some people saying they thought it should've had a longer run.

by Anonymousreply 342June 11, 2021 3:37 PM

r342, you must be referring to "The Ropers."

by Anonymousreply 343June 11, 2021 3:41 PM

Third Rock from the Sun was a brilliant show, with a hilarious cast. It had a longish run, but I think it could have gone on and on.

by Anonymousreply 344June 11, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote]They're unbearably woke and PC.

People who say shit like this are waving their racist/sexist red-flag high. Avoid at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 345June 11, 2021 4:42 PM

Fine, I'm a racist and a sexist pig. You caught me. I think I still have the freedom to voice an opinion in this country, although who the hell knows how much longer that liberty will last.

by Anonymousreply 346June 11, 2021 4:48 PM

You are always free to voice an opinion, no matter how ignorant, racist, sexist, or stupid it is.

What you've NEVER been free of, though, is the consequences of voicing stupid, racist, sexist, dumbass opinions.

And to think you should never face any consequences for braying your ignorant, racist, sexist bullshit at full volume, is itself just fucking stupid.

So thanks for waving your red flag so decent people can avoid you.

by Anonymousreply 347June 11, 2021 4:52 PM

It is homophobic to call gays racist.

by Anonymousreply 348June 11, 2021 5:03 PM

It's not racist or sexist to be anti-"woke" culture.

by Anonymousreply 349June 11, 2021 5:03 PM

They trivialize the causes by trying too hard. How does it help Black people to say only white people can be on boxes of food?

by Anonymousreply 350June 11, 2021 5:06 PM

Third Rock from the Sun went on exactly long enough and didn't deserve another season.

by Anonymousreply 351June 11, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote]It's not racist or sexist to be anti-"woke" culture.

Yes. Yes it is.

by Anonymousreply 352June 11, 2021 5:42 PM

"Woke culture" is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 353June 11, 2021 5:43 PM

I just remembered the name of the show I posted about at R342. It was called "The Neighbors."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354June 11, 2021 5:44 PM

Yes, The Neighbors was witty and fun.

by Anonymousreply 355June 11, 2021 7:45 PM

HR Puff N Stuff

by Anonymousreply 356June 11, 2021 7:58 PM

^ He can't do a little 'cause he can't do enough!

by Anonymousreply 357June 11, 2021 8:06 PM

R342 Do you mean the Neighbors? It looks like it had two seasons? I did watch it once or twice because Jami Gertz is a favorite and I love her comedic skills. I should go look for it and see if it’s as good as you remember. I do suggest to you to check out Resident Alien on SyFy that launched this year and has been picked up for season two. It’s a similar premise of an alien among us, but is very funny and has some serious things to say about humanity wrapped in a Science Fiction lens that the best of the genre does. Alan Tudyk is phenomenal in the lead and I hope he gets some awards recognition. I highly recommend it, next to Mare it’s about the best discovery of new show for me this year and became appointment TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358June 11, 2021 8:43 PM

We loved the Neighbors as well. It was quirky and a little more intelligent than some shows. They did two episodes with musical sequences that were very good as well. I usually don’t mind shows I like getting canceled, but I did miss this one.

by Anonymousreply 359June 12, 2021 2:48 AM

Never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 360June 12, 2021 4:00 AM

The Kids Are Alright should have gone on for several seasons. Instead, ABC canceled it after one season even though there were other low-rated show which they kept that year.

Show was set in 1972, the show featured a Catholic family with eight kids living in a three-bedroom house in LA suburbia, done in a Wonder Years style with a voice over narrator offering commentary. A poignant family comedy that got all the period details right, it starred Mary McCormack.

The 23 episodes that were filmed are well worth binging on Hulu sometime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361June 12, 2021 5:12 AM

R141 What are you talking about? Teen Wolf got 6 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 362June 12, 2021 7:08 AM

Even though I had the lunchbox, "Lancelot Link Secret Chimp" really only had one season.

by Anonymousreply 363June 12, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote] I wanted way more of the charmings. Really. .

I remember that show. Does anyone know the story about why they recast Snow White?

by Anonymousreply 364June 12, 2021 9:53 AM

R361 I somewhat agree. I looked forward to the show because I also come from a large family of only brothers. I thought it took awhile to find its groove, and I wasn't surprised that it was cancelled, but I think it should have gone another season at least.

by Anonymousreply 365June 12, 2021 11:40 AM

Not the 1947 noir film or the 1977 Britcom of the same name, but the ABC Family one-season sitcom ODD MAN OUT (1999), starring Markie Post (of NIGHT COURT!), Jessica Capshaw, Natalia Cigliuti, former Pink Ranger Vicki Davis, vintage DL-fave Erik Von Detten, and Trevor Fehrman (best known as Eli in CLERKS). Brandon Routh guest starred in a couple of episodes, humorously credited as ‘B.J.’

The head writers had previously worked on THE SIMPSONS in the early-mid ‘90s, and it showed. It was a very punchy, quickfire, mischievous script by family sitcom standards, and the cast chemistry was excellent. Sadly, it aired in late awkward slots to start with, then came up against long-runner behemoths like BOY MEETS WORLD, so it undeservedly flopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366June 12, 2021 11:44 AM

I don't know if it's been said yet, but I will add The Real O'Neals with the wonderful Martha Plimpton. Terrific cast and enjoyable stories, but then cancelled in its second season. And we all know why. Thanks Noah G.

by Anonymousreply 367June 12, 2021 11:45 AM

HOT L BALTIMORE

Link is Norman Lear interview discussing the one-season series on ABC. He should have stuck with CBS... it was perhaps the first sitcom to prominently feature a gay male couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 12, 2021 12:36 PM

The Bugaloos

by Anonymousreply 369June 12, 2021 12:42 PM

Skin- a modern telling of Romeo and Juliet set in the porn industry

Young Americans - 8 episodes of the life of the students in the Rawly Academy starring Kate Boswoth, Ian Sumerhander and Kathrine Moenning (pretending to be a boy).

Wacko- a Saturday morning version of "Monty Python".

Hot Hero Sandwich - a kids version of Saturday Night live, comlete with musical guests.

Roundhouse- Nickeloden's version of SN, only witha cast of triple threats

Mary + Jane- MTV's Show about two woman pot dealers

Hindsight- VH1's show abot a woman who travels back in time and see's how her life woud change of she makes different choices

Daytime Diva's- nutty antic's on a soap set with Vanessa William's

Samantha Who? -with Christina Applegate

Josey and the Pussycats/in Space

by Anonymousreply 370June 12, 2021 1:03 PM

Knots Landing - 14 years just wasn't enough!

by Anonymousreply 371June 12, 2021 1:32 PM

Wait, did Knots Landing end? Then why the hell am I still talking like a moron hayseed?!

by Anonymousreply 372June 12, 2021 2:20 PM

Golden Years (1991).

I don't even like sci-fi but loved this. Beautiful love story at its heart.

Looks like it lasted 7 episodes, and is available on Prime. Woo-hoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373June 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Joan Van Ark should have transitioned to a role as one of the hillbilly grandma drug queens on Ozark.

by Anonymousreply 374June 12, 2021 2:27 PM

Falcon Crest needed one more season, if only to recuperate from that dreadful, dark last season with Gregory Harrison, and return to its roots and go out with some dignity.

by Anonymousreply 375June 12, 2021 2:54 PM

R375

Sour grapes

by Anonymousreply 376June 12, 2021 3:55 PM

I only saw The Kids are Alright a few times, but itn seemed like a decent show that should have gone on longer. It was smarter than a lot of sitcoms out there and they did capture a lot of the 70's correctly - not just the fashion and décor but the parenting styles.

I forgot about Third Rock from the Sun. It kind of disappeared. I suppose it is in that in between stage of being too old to be the recent or current shows being shown every night on network TV after their prime time line-up and not old enough to be on the vintage stations. The show was still funny, but probably went out at the right time. Sitcoms, especially ones with a gimmick tend to run out ideas and begin recycling ideas or the concept of the show is stretched thin or past its expiration point..

by Anonymousreply 377June 12, 2021 3:59 PM

Two Marriages, with a very young DL fave Kirk Cameron. Well-done series. Great theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378June 12, 2021 4:37 PM

R368: He already sold a show with a gay lead to CBS when [italic]The Jeffersons[/italic] got their own show.

by Anonymousreply 379June 12, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote] Two Marriages, with a very young DL fave Kirk Cameron. Well-done series. Great theme song.

God bless you, R378. Both those marriages were between a man and a woman as God intended. And God bless my co-stars C. Thomas Howell and Ian "Ina" Fried for giving me the courage to come out as transBlack.

by Anonymousreply 380June 12, 2021 6:08 PM

Amazes me sometimes to think that the superlative SOAP only got four seasons.

It was jumping the shark toward the end (you wouldn’t think a show that started so insanely could jump the shark, but it did), yet personally I feel it had another season or two in it to wind down.

Pretty in-character to end on a cliffhanger, though. They couldn’t have done it any other way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381June 12, 2021 6:20 PM

The Bible Belt boycott is why the show didn't crack the Top 10.

by Anonymousreply 382June 12, 2021 6:21 PM

Soap, which was a network copy of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, ran out of steam before its first season was over. Just like the original. A one joke show that couldn't sustain itself. Good cast though.

by Anonymousreply 383June 12, 2021 6:46 PM

To each his own, but I don't think Soap ran out of steam until Jessica's whole South America revolution story, Jodie trapped as a 90 year old Jewish man (that got tired fast) and the Chester/Annie/Danny love triangle mess. Later, but great, stories were Chester's amnesia ("I'm Cheddar Plate!"), Burt's invisibility, Elaine Lefkowitz, and Mary's possibly alien baby. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 384June 12, 2021 10:04 PM

Hap and Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 385June 12, 2021 10:15 PM

I will echo the sentiment of someone above about Samantha Who? Cancelled after just two seasons and 35 episodes.

Christina Applegate suffers from amnesia but learns from all the people around her that she was a bitch on wheels before the accident that caused her amnesia. and disliked by virtually everyone. So, she sets out to make ammends for her past behavior even though she doesn't remember it. Some very smart scripts and a good supporting cast including Barry Watson, Jennifer Espiosito and Melissa McCarthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386June 13, 2021 1:48 AM

Definitely "Reaper"

by Anonymousreply 387June 13, 2021 1:55 AM

When Things Were Rotten (1975). A Mel Brooks parody of Robin Hood movies that aired briefly on ABC. It was like an early precursor to Police Squad!, also cancelled quickly by ABC. Damn you, ABC!

In all fairness, it would have worked better without the infernal laugh track. Segment of pilot below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388June 13, 2021 2:54 PM

Go On-sitcom about a grief support group

by Anonymousreply 389June 13, 2021 11:23 PM

Lotsa Luck

by Anonymousreply 390June 14, 2021 1:53 AM

Bridget Loves Bernie

by Anonymousreply 391June 14, 2021 1:54 AM

R390

It needed it

by Anonymousreply 392June 14, 2021 1:55 AM

Turned out Bridget Loves Box-munching more.

by Anonymousreply 393June 14, 2021 1:55 AM

On the recommendation of this thread, I’m also watching Devious Maids. It’s not peak television or anything but it’s a lot of fun and the storylines are addictive. It’s essentially Desperate Housewives 2 with the Marc Cherry writing, music, storylines.

It’s been about ten years since I last watched Desperate Housewives so it’s fun nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 394June 14, 2021 3:56 AM

Reaper was fantastic r387

by Anonymousreply 395June 14, 2021 3:57 AM

Bret Harrison was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 396June 14, 2021 11:10 PM

A writers assistant on rhythm and blues was my first job in Los Angeles in 1991. Must See TV. It should have done ok.

If it had made it as a series, my life would have gone way differently.

Instead, it took me until 1999 to find a career track. I’m successful and comfortable now but those 7-8 years would have been nice.

Terrible show. No.t surprised it didn’t make it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 15, 2021 1:54 AM

NBC was really cleaning house that year. Count the flops compared to the hits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398June 15, 2021 2:38 AM

Survivor's Remorse - about a black basketball player from Dorchester, MA who moves to ATL after making it big. His family lives with him. Tichina Arnold played his mother. It had some eye candy and a lesbian sister. Mike O'Malley and LeBron James were executive producers. Mike Epps was funny as the uncle. But, rumor has it, he wanted more money. His character died in a car accident. It had 4 seasons but could have gone on longer.

R377, Third Rock is on IFC many mornings. IFC also shows Parks and Rec and Scrubs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399June 15, 2021 12:33 PM

When did IFC start showing sitcom reruns?

by Anonymousreply 400June 15, 2021 3:28 PM

The Young Ones was hilarious and should have gone on for longer.

by Anonymousreply 401June 15, 2021 5:13 PM

Don't Trust the B in Apt 23

The Mick

Southland

It's All Relative (with John Benjamin Hickey and Chris Sieber as the gay dads)

The Pretender (with Michael T. Weiss and Miss Parker)

by Anonymousreply 402June 15, 2021 8:14 PM

Traveler - with DL fave Matt Bomer

by Anonymousreply 403June 15, 2021 8:18 PM

BBC1 - Cuffs

Even though it was doing pretty well in its first season out, the show got chopped due to the big BBC budget cut that hit ca. 2015-16.

[quote] A visceral drama that takes the audience on an exhilarating ride through the challenges of frontline policing in the vibrant and alternative seaside city of Brighton, Cuffs is BBC One’s first drama commission in the 8pm slot in eight years and is packed full of humour, humanity and colourful characters.

Jacob Ifan (top photo, right) starred as the rookie gay cop, PC Jake Vickers. I liked the whole cast. It was a great ensemble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 15, 2021 8:28 PM

Amos and Andy

by Anonymousreply 405June 15, 2021 8:30 PM

R403 gurl bye, you are basic. I watched TRAVELER for Aaron Stanford with blond hilights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 15, 2021 8:55 PM

The Honeymooners

by Anonymousreply 407June 15, 2021 9:00 PM

Manifest was just canceled after murdering the mother and time warping the son by five years. I guess those two actors are having their happy revenge knowing it’s just not them coming back next year. The series was planned out for six seasons.

by Anonymousreply 408June 15, 2021 9:31 PM

R402, I agree with all your picks.

by Anonymousreply 409June 15, 2021 9:33 PM

9JKL

by Anonymousreply 410June 15, 2021 9:59 PM

Small Wonder

by Anonymousreply 411June 16, 2021 1:20 PM

Marblehead Manor

by Anonymousreply 412June 16, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] The Red States

You mean the ones that made it harder for boys to undermine Title IX?

by Anonymousreply 413June 16, 2021 2:55 PM

"Playmakers" on ESPN (2003).

It was the sports channel's first (last?) foray into scripted fare. The serial drama, which some called "a soap opera for men," was apparently too real for the NFL. The league came down hard on ESPN to force its cancellation; so even though the show's ratings were high, it got yanked after just 11 episodes.

Vice's recap of the controversy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414June 18, 2021 6:52 AM

Girls

by Anonymousreply 415June 18, 2021 8:17 AM

[r414] They declined my offer to do hardcore locker room shower sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 416June 18, 2021 11:42 AM

Stalker tv show that starred Dylan McDermott needed to be picked up by another cable channel. That was some good shit

by Anonymousreply 417June 18, 2021 11:58 AM

Sports Night with Josh Charles, Peter Krause, and Felicity Huffman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418June 18, 2021 2:16 PM

I also really liked The Kids are Alright. I think it was probably the last network comedy I watched. It was smarter than a lot of the rest of them. As an added bonus, it had that little tight-bodied ginger, Caleb Foote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419June 18, 2021 4:23 PM

After seeing that Mark Feuerstein would be starring in "9JKL" I knew there would be one season at very most, and in this case only sixteen episodes.

Feuerstein is tv's top series-killer on par with Taye Diggs.

by Anonymousreply 420June 18, 2021 4:52 PM

When did they make that lesbian movie int a TV show? Moore and Benning must not have been in it or it would have gotten some coverage and acclaim?

by Anonymousreply 421June 18, 2021 4:52 PM

Outsourced, I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 422June 18, 2021 4:59 PM

[422] I loved Ben Rappaport. Not as host as Josh Hamilton (the movie version), but very cute. Is he still alive?

by Anonymousreply 423June 18, 2021 11:00 PM

Greg The Bunny

Max Headroom

Incorporated

Almost Human

by Anonymousreply 424June 27, 2021 3:11 AM

I'm quite saddened that All Rise has been cancelled. The writing, acting and storylines are great.

Plus Wilson Bethel is hot eye candy in it too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425June 27, 2021 3:34 AM

R425 I thought that was canceled after one season for being problematic, turning the gay teacher into heterosexual Josh Radner?

by Anonymousreply 426June 27, 2021 3:45 AM

[quote] Feuerstein is tv's top series-killer on par with Taye Diggs.

Kristoffer Polaha is another series killer like Diggs and Feurstein.

by Anonymousreply 427June 27, 2021 4:35 AM

SMASH. I needed more Deb Messing in scarves.

by Anonymousreply 428June 27, 2021 4:35 AM

That Was The Week That Was. Never got a fair shot at a sustained run.

by Anonymousreply 429June 27, 2021 4:48 AM

[quote] That Was The Week That Was. Never got a fair shot at a sustained run.

It was too backward-looking.... I might have watched "This Is The Week That Will Be" however.

by Anonymousreply 430June 27, 2021 12:22 PM

There was this great drama, "Boomtown," that had an awesome first season but I guess it didn't do so well, so for the second season they did some stunt-casting and ruined the show, which was quickly cancelled. So, in a way, it was just a great one-season show.

by Anonymousreply 431June 27, 2021 12:51 PM

I really liked Pan Am and was stunned it was cancelled. I thought it was stylish, clever, and fun.

by Anonymousreply 432June 27, 2021 1:33 PM

The Book of Daniel.

About a gay priest. It was canceled before it even aired, due to "controversy". They aired like 3 or 4 episodes, and then the only way to see the rest of the 6 or so episodes they had completed was on-line (back before streaming TV shows on-line was really much of a thing). It was actually very good and respectful, so the controversy was all unwarranted, but you know how conservatives/right-wingers are.

by Anonymousreply 433June 27, 2021 1:43 PM

I still would like to see that Heathers TV show with one of them being gay that crashed and burned because of school shootings. Anyone see it or know where to watch?

by Anonymousreply 434June 27, 2021 1:45 PM

R432 I also liked that show. A couple of days ago I saw it on AMC Plus and I kind of want to do a rewatch of it.

by Anonymousreply 435June 27, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote] Small Wonder

Yeah, I can tell you’re being sarcastic since there’s no telling what would’ve happened had they been allowed to give any kind of explanation for how they could make a robot go through human puberty. That should be at least as good as the explanations they used to keep an obviously closeted gay man in a sham heterosexual “marriage” that produced a brat.

by Anonymousreply 436June 27, 2021 3:46 PM

PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE!

by Anonymousreply 437June 27, 2021 4:27 PM

Yes, he can. Season 3 was barely even the same show.

by Anonymousreply 438June 27, 2021 4:29 PM

I was looking forward to Parker Lewis Turns Tricks, but atlas that never came.

by Anonymousreply 439June 27, 2021 4:31 PM

R436, the dad on Small Wonder wasn't gay. I can't recall him even coming across as a closet case. Unless there was a lot of subtext that I missed, which I doubt given how bad the show was overall.

by Anonymousreply 440June 27, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote] I was looking forward to Parker Lewis Turns Tricks, but atlas that never came.

He belongs to the same cult as Tom Cruise, so don't expect Xenu to let him.

by Anonymousreply 441June 27, 2021 5:48 PM

R440: Even when I was a kid, I could tell there was something off about the dynamic of that family compared both to real families and other families on TV, and it had nothing to do with the cheap production values. The parents seem more like close friends than an actual married couple. Vicki sleeping in the closet is a metaphor for the closet around which Ted Lawson has built this supposedly perfect family.

by Anonymousreply 442June 27, 2021 5:52 PM

R426, try "low ratings" rather than "problematic"

by Anonymousreply 443June 27, 2021 5:54 PM

Josh Radner wasn't in All Rise, r443 r426.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444June 27, 2021 6:28 PM

There was a show, "Braindead" about alien bugs that took over people's brains, and they infiltrated Washington DC's politicians... it was hilarious and dark and well done, and got just one season, and ended on a cliff-hanger, and I'm still annoyed it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 445July 7, 2021 2:05 PM

Well, we can add Bonding to this, three seasons would have been perfect, but no, Netflix has to cancel what must have been one of the cheapest shows for them to produce, just like Special and of course all with lead Gay characters. I’m starting to fucking hate Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 446July 7, 2021 2:50 PM

r446 I still get confused as to why people say Netflix is so pro-LGBT when a disproportionate amount of their LGBT content are lesbians, bis, and trans. The few things they have with gay men are crap, or they're quickly canceled.

by Anonymousreply 447July 7, 2021 6:14 PM

They only care about T, T, T, and T.

by Anonymousreply 448July 7, 2021 6:24 PM

The Book of Daniel was about a straight, married Anglican priest and his family including a gay son. It was brilliant and wonderful and thoughtful but braindead evangelicals killed it without seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 449July 7, 2021 6:36 PM

R434, track it down if you can. One of the best (and least watched) shows off the last few years. It was a pitch black satire that was terrifically written and performed. Because the Heathers are played by people who would’ve been outsiders in the original, far left loonies thought it was mocking SJWs and far right assholes thought it was woke nonsense. It was neither and clearly pissed off the correct people.

by Anonymousreply 450July 11, 2021 9:01 AM

The Fugitive reboot with Tim Daly

by Anonymousreply 451July 11, 2021 9:17 AM

The Kids are Alright....ABC....It was dropped to make room for "Mixed-ish".....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452July 11, 2021 9:42 AM

Superstore. I think America Ferrara’s departure killed it off, but it seemed so unnecessary. The show was still pretty fresh, very funny and the cast was incredible. It could have gone on for a few more years.

by Anonymousreply 453July 11, 2021 10:30 AM

The first several years of "Superstore" were a lot of fun, much like "Wings" and "News Radio" before it (all NBC, btw). But it was honestly losing steam by the time Ferrara announced her departure. The last season lost its anchor (and thus, moorings) and was barely watchable. Good cast ensemble but ultimately the writing failed them. I'm not so much sorry it's gone, as I am sorry that it was time to go.

by Anonymousreply 454July 11, 2021 2:55 PM

"Those Who Can't" -- not a well-known series, running on basic cable (TBS I think). I found it funny, and getting funnier as the series ran through it's three short seasons (13 eps each). It was your typical gross-out comedy with hateful characters, along the lines of "Always Sunny" or Hulu's similarly gone-too-soon "Difficult People". Near to impossible to find now, and it only ran less than 10 years ago.

Come to think of it, "Difficult People" also belong on this list. Neither was perfect, but both were better than insanely popular and long-running hits like "Two and a Half Men", "Big Bang Theory" and the shit pile that is now "The Simpsons".

by Anonymousreply 455July 11, 2021 2:59 PM

R455 I go back and watch (and miss more and more) Difficult People, which hit some perfect notes for me. I just rewatched the two seasons of Alone Together, another show to add to this list, and it’s like a younger LA version of it and quite fun too. Ended up crushing on Benji this time, especially the orgy party scene where he’s in unzipped jeans shirtless and has a respectable v-lines going into his pants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456July 11, 2021 3:42 PM

Shannon's Deal - About a lawyer with a gambling problem (Jamey Sheridan) who solved crimes weekly with the help of his loan shark's collector (Richard Edson). A John Sayles show, it ran two seasons. With one more season, I might be able to find it in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 457July 11, 2021 6:24 PM

Just going to give another vote to "Max Headroom"... a TV show way ahead of its time, brilliant satire.

by Anonymousreply 458July 12, 2021 5:04 AM

Once upon a time, plenty of people would have said that Arrested Development ended too soon. Then they made two more seasons, and all I can say is be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 459July 12, 2021 5:19 AM

You said it, R459.

by Anonymousreply 460July 12, 2021 5:50 AM

I agree with R457 — Shannon's Deal was terrific. And Jamey Sheridan was sexy.

by Anonymousreply 461July 12, 2021 5:52 AM

Cybill

by Anonymousreply 462July 12, 2021 5:52 AM

That show needed one more year to resolve the cliffhanger regarding Dr. Dick's death, but I fear either Christine Baranski or Cybill Shepherd might have killed each other by then.

by Anonymousreply 463July 12, 2021 5:54 AM

The Colbys, Paper Dolls, Flamingo Road, and Emerald Point NAS.

by Anonymousreply 464July 12, 2021 5:57 AM

Swingtown.

Has been #1 on my "canceled too soon" list since it ended. So much potential.

We discussed it on DL as it was airing, and there was a fan contingent here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465July 12, 2021 6:01 AM

Baptiste.

Van Der Valk.

Rev.

Vera.

by Anonymousreply 466July 12, 2021 10:31 PM

The Prisoner.

by Anonymousreply 467July 12, 2021 10:32 PM

Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist. Sure, six seasons -- but no movie!

by Anonymousreply 468July 12, 2021 10:36 PM

Bob & Margaret Fish.

My all-time favorite chiropodist

by Anonymousreply 469July 12, 2021 10:39 PM

The Man in the High Castle. The last season was clearly meant to have been the second to last but then they hastily ended it. Awful. So many things they set up and never followed through on.

The OA. Brit Marling in her own live action Lucius Malloy fan fiction was irritating but I did get sucked in and wanted to see where it would go.

Game of Thrones. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 470July 12, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] Baptiste.

On IMDB, it says that S2 of Baptiste will premiere on July 18.

by Anonymousreply 471July 12, 2021 10:42 PM

Blood Drive.

by Anonymousreply 472July 13, 2021 2:15 AM

Soap

by Anonymousreply 473July 13, 2021 2:26 AM

Travelers

by Anonymousreply 474July 13, 2021 2:31 AM

Every post-Friends show starring Matthew Perry: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Mr. Sunshine, Go On, The Odd Couple.

by Anonymousreply 475July 13, 2021 2:36 AM

1985 sitcom Hail to the Chief, starring Patty Duke, Ted Bessell ("That Girl"), and Quinn Cummings! Created by Susan Harris ("Soap", "The Golden Girls"). I am fortunate to have the entire series (seven episodes!) on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 476July 13, 2021 3:19 AM

The Powers That Be.

by Anonymousreply 477July 13, 2021 2:30 PM

Another political sitcom, "Women of the House" (1995), with Delta Burke, Teri Garr, and Patricia Heaton. Spin-off of "Designing Women". It's on Tubi, 12 episodes. The show (spin-off) was a bit of a mess but had long-term potential.

by Anonymousreply 478July 13, 2021 3:25 PM

To The Manor Born

by Anonymousreply 479July 13, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote] The Powers That Be.

I second that. Funny, fun show with a great cast.

by Anonymousreply 480July 13, 2021 10:45 PM

Ellery Queen with Jim Hutton.

by Anonymousreply 481July 13, 2021 11:08 PM

Emily's Reasons Why Not

by Anonymousreply 482July 13, 2021 11:41 PM

R471, Woot! Thank you for the heads up!

by Anonymousreply 483July 14, 2021 12:54 AM

My guess is that it's the UK premiere date, R471, but it should be on North American streaming services (or PBS) before the end of the year, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 484July 14, 2021 9:01 PM

Actually, it looks like it'll start airing on PBS in October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485July 14, 2021 9:04 PM

Robert De Niro Presents "Tribeca". This was a great short-lived series. Canceled on Fox after only seven episodes and forgotten, it deserved a much better run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486July 20, 2021 3:14 PM

Emerald Point NAS

by Anonymousreply 487July 20, 2021 6:29 PM

Game of Thrones is the biggest offender and should top every poll. After 8 years of build up to a BIG, LARGER THAN LIFE finish, they just throw it away in the last season. All it needed is 3-5 more episodes to tie the loose ends.

What a way to destroy your legacy.

by Anonymousreply 488July 20, 2021 6:35 PM

R487

Emerald Point NAS was a terrible disaster inflicted upon us during the peak of 80s primetime soaps. Nevertheless, it did have an amazing cast... Dennis Weaver, Maud Adams, Jill St. John, Patrick O'Neal, Andrew Stevens, Sela Ward, Susan Dey, Richard Dean Anderson, Robert Vaughn, and Robert Loggia. Most the soaps in the 80s had one or two names, one or two has-beens, and then a gaggle of nobodies. Ratings cratered and I imagine it had an insane budget with that cast and military location shoots.

by Anonymousreply 489July 20, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote]Game of Thrones is the biggest offender and should top every poll.

Is Martin still planning on writing the last two books? I am assuming he gave some input on how the show should continue once it went beyond the timeline in the books.

by Anonymousreply 490July 21, 2021 6:54 PM

R489, I agree. I have the series on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 491July 21, 2021 6:58 PM

Happy Endings

by Anonymousreply 492July 21, 2021 8:22 PM

Trophy Wife

by Anonymousreply 493July 21, 2021 8:45 PM

"The Secrets of Midland Heights". Teen-centric primetime soap circa 1980 that was like a dopier version of Peyton Place, and barely ran 6-7 episodes. However it did pre-famous Linda Hamilton and Lorenzo Lamas.

I was but a mere gayling desperately in love with actor Jim Youngs. Looking back, he's now 64 and never married. Hmmm, maybe I was on to something...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494July 23, 2021 11:57 AM

I was gutted that Treadstone ended after one season - I was really enjoying it. What makes it worse is they cancelled it so they had more money to spend on reality TV, which I almost never watch.

by Anonymousreply 495July 23, 2021 12:26 PM

Jeff Altman and Pink Lady

by Anonymousreply 496July 25, 2021 2:44 AM

{quote] Jeff Altman and Pink Lady

I assume you're joking. That show was a trainwreck with only 5 of its 6 episodes even get aired. Pink Lady spoke no English, and Jeff Altman was a B- celebrity comedian whose face looked more like he was undergoing a colorectal exam than hosting a national variety TV show. Jeff was OK looking, but not enough of a draw to make this gayling want to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497July 25, 2021 3:13 AM

Go ahead and shoot me but I find Jeff Altman cute in the same adorkable way I found Ted Bessell cute on "That Girl."

by Anonymousreply 498July 25, 2021 3:16 AM

R498

I don't disagree, but neither one is a leading man or, frankly, has the charisma to draw wide audiences. Hence...

by Anonymousreply 499July 25, 2021 3:20 AM

The one where al Frankenstein played a senator.

by Anonymousreply 500July 25, 2021 3:38 PM

"John Doe"... Dominic Purcell wakes up with amnesia, no idea who he is, but with an encyclopedic knowledge of everything else. I really wanted to know how that story would play out. I loved the show, but it only got one season.

by Anonymousreply 501August 16, 2021 12:57 AM

Jennifer Slept Here (1983-1984), with the luminous Ann Jillian, Georgette Baxter, Alex Slapped by Ann Romano, and Fiona Apple's father. Theme by Joey Scarbury!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502August 16, 2021 1:03 AM

Not sure if this has already been said, but...

The Norman Lear sitcom APPLE PIE with Rue McClanahan, Dabney Coleman, and Jack Gifford.

by Anonymousreply 503August 16, 2021 1:05 AM

Me on Valerie/Valerie's Family/Hogan Family.

That's not what you're asking.

Choke on cokehead Sandy Duncan's glass eyeball.

by Anonymousreply 504August 16, 2021 1:28 AM

Don't be bitter, Val. After your Valerie fiasco (your fault, by the way), CBS gave you another chance with your "City" sitcom. Created by Paul Haggis ("Crash", DL's fave Oscar winner for Best Picture), co-starring Liz Torres ("Phyllis") and Todd Sussman ("Newhart"). Guest appearances by Sophia Petrillo, Zsa Zsa, and Wilbur Post! CBS even scheduled it against The Hogan Family. LOL. Thirteen episodes and...cancelled! Poor, poor Val.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505August 16, 2021 1:51 AM

The Grinder Santa Clarita Diet American Vandal

by Anonymousreply 506August 16, 2021 3:47 AM

"Life", starring Damien Lewis, about a guy who was put away for life in prison, but was innocent, and managed to get out, and was now quietly pursuing revenge. Oh yeah, and he was a millionaire or something. It's been so long I forget the details, but it was really well done.

It got two seasons, but never really got the resolution it deserved.

by Anonymousreply 507August 16, 2021 4:30 AM

"New Amsterdam", with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a detective cursed with immortality. The really old guy they passed off as his father was actually his son. I really loved it. Only got 8 episodes... a third of a typical season at the time.

by Anonymousreply 508August 16, 2021 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!