Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coming Supreme Court decision in major LGBT rights case seen as bellwether of conservative court

The Supreme Court is expected to release a decision in the coming days that could provide the first glimpses of how its 6-3 conservative majority will shape the future of LGBT rights.

The case, known as Fulton v. City of Philadelphia, No. 19-123, is a fight over a city policy that bars discrimination based on sexual orientation. Citing the policy, Philadelphia dropped a contract with a Roman Catholic foster agency that said its beliefs didn’t allow it to certify same-sex couples for adoption. The agency, Catholic Social Services, brought a lawsuit alleging that Philadelphia violated its First Amendment religious rights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2021 5:45 AM

This will further cement that religious belief are protected under free speech even if they discriminate. The cake maker set precedent. This will follow. They should tread lightly. Catholic/Christian is but one religion. It will open the door for what they fear most. Sharia Law.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2021 6:31 PM

Yeah, the cake maker. This is going to be a large serving of horse shit.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2021 6:44 PM

And how do we fight back?

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2021 6:44 PM

I am old, really old and I am tired of the struggle. Decades of defiance and marches and protests can all go by the wayside in a heartbeat. Anyone with eyes can see what is coming. Abortion rights, voting rights, LGBTQ rights are all endangered. Whether it gets Millenials and future generations off their entitled butts is anybody's guess. I have my doubts.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2021 6:54 PM

Rights have to be codified in law. We can’t rely on precedence. SCOTUS has shown it is willing to overturn precedents when it serves their purpose. We need civil rights laws, voting rights laws, etc. Congress has the power to put limits on what the courts can do, and those limits also need to be codified in law.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2021 7:03 PM

Remember when conservative religious folk used to complain that gays wanted "special rights?" Of course what we really want is equal rights.

Religious conservatives are the ones who want special rights, and they think they're entitled to them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2021 7:03 PM

If there can be a church that glorifies guns, what cant there be a church of gays

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2021 7:04 PM

Are there more non-religious/secular foster agencies than religious ones in Pennsylvania? Could the non-religious ones just poach from and/or siphon away foster kids from the religious ones, like how I'm sure competing butchers try to steal the best cuts from the meat market away from their competitors' butcher shops?

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2021 7:05 PM

Why not point out how many of these straight, high almighty, religious right conservatives turn out to be pedophiles? Throw those legit facts of at these people on a grassroot level? Shame these followers for supporting pedophiles, Satanists hiding in religous sheep clothing, scam artists, traitors, etc.

The truth is on our side, and yet we don't use it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2021 7:33 PM

^Fundies really don’t give a shit about pedophiles. All they care about is banning abortion and destroying gay rights

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2021 8:32 PM

We'll lose this one. Its not a subject that interests most of us so I won't weep this time.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2021 8:45 PM

I thought the cake maker was about it being a private business and as such has the right to refuse customers service as they desire. Wasn't that the same law applied to Twitter being able to refuse the Orange Menace the right to keep a Twitter account?

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2021 8:49 PM

Uh oh, it involves a church. Religion trumps everything. We'll lose this one.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2021 8:55 PM

[quote] Whether it gets Millenials and future generations off their entitled butts is anybody's guess. I have my doubts.

Oh, dear, and you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2021 1:08 PM

The cake maker didn't totally win his case slam dunk. SCOTUS just said the city which took away his business license for violating their discrimination law didn't take his faith into consideration. Then it pushed the case back to them.

SCOTUS did not say the cake maker had any right to refuse service to gays.

That said, it was a different SCOTUS at the time.

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2021 1:17 PM

While a religious organization should be able to do whatever it wants, it shouldn't be able to demand tax money to do it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote] what cant there be a church of gays

Problem solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2021 1:31 PM

Agreed R4.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2021 1:42 PM

[quote] SCOTUS did not say the cake maker had any right to refuse service to gays.

True, but that wasn’t the issue before the court, since the business didn’t bar gay customers. The court looked at the narrower situation of whether the state could compel the baker to make a product for a specific purpose.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2021 1:52 PM

You push. They push back. And so it goes. And on and on.

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote] The court looked at the narrower situation of whether the state could compel the baker to make a product for a specific purpose.

SCOTUS didn't address that either. It kicked it back to the city

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2021 5:22 PM

Soon after the gay wedding cake baker case was SCOTUS decision was released, SCOTUS also released the LGBT cannot be fired for being LGBT decision, with a strong description of how gays must have equality.

Of course, this new SCOTUS will prioritize religion over civil rights.

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] SCOTUS will prioritize religion over civil rights

Freedom of religion 𝒊𝒔 the first civil right.

𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘢𝘸 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘰𝘯, 𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘩𝘪𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘦𝘹𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘰𝘧

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2021 5:56 PM

[Quote]While a religious organization should be able to do whatever it wants,

No, no, no, no...

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2021 5:59 PM

Tax these fucking "churches". They want to behave like a business then TAX them.

Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2021 6:03 PM

The Supreme Court is now an agency of the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2021 6:11 PM

Religious liberty is the first Constitutional right.

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote] Freedom of religion 𝒊𝒔 the first civil right.

The Amendments are not in the order of importance. The question is which one will take precedence and should taxpayer money support discrimination?

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2021 6:47 PM

In states that allowed Evangelical adoption agencies to deny whom they wanted (pointed specifically at prospective gay parents), they have also denied adoption to Jewish parents. Unintended consequence, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2021 6:52 PM

It’s not a 6-3 majority. Roberts is a liberal and Gorsuch is a libertarian. This both are useless to the kind of movement conservatives would like to see with rolling back the awful decisions legalizing abortion and same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2021 6:55 PM

I don't see same sex marriage going anywhere considering support is over 70%. I do see conservatives trying to diminish it with religious-based cases like the current one.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2021 7:00 PM

It is way past time to make Judaism the national religion.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2021 7:14 PM

R23: Fuck that bullshit. No amendment is set in stone. Not even that one.

I’m sorry, but the first amendment was the first big mistake this country made. Not forbidding these bigoted death cults has allowed them to violate our civil rights at every turn.

The first amendment has got to go.

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2021 7:17 PM

My pussy is moist, I'm ready for this one!

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2021 7:28 PM

Conservatives are true evil. They don't care about reality, they just want their fantasy stories and nothing else matters to them. People suffering HERE and NOW have no meaning for them. They have contempt for reality and believe everything will be great WHEN YOU'RE DEAD. Having them on the Supreme Court or any position of power (which they ALWAYS crave) is the death of fairness and clear headed thinking.

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2021 7:58 PM

People like r35 make me grateful for the First Amendment, and the fact his views are of a tiny minority.

by Anonymousreply 36June 11, 2021 12:49 AM

People like R36 will excuse fucking children by church officials, sexually mutilating babies and young girls for their "religion" and conning frightened stupid old people out of their life savings tax free for the voracious bottomless pit of the church. Nothing real matters to these zombified believers. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 37June 11, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] I don't see same sex marriage going anywhere considering support is over 70%. I do see conservatives trying to diminish it with religious-based cases like the current one.

In the future, it will be the only game in town.

by Anonymousreply 38June 11, 2021 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!