Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A mysterious, devastating brain disorder afflicts dozens in Canadian province of New Brunswick

Alier Marrero is stumped.

For years, the neurologist in Moncton, New Brunswick, has seen patients with symptoms common to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a fatal brain disorder that affects one in 1 million people each year.

But diagnostic testing for the rare neurodegenerative syndrome keeps coming back negative, more patients with similar symptoms have turned up each year, and Marrero hasn't found another cause. Federal public health officials last year identified the cases as a cluster meriting further investigation.

Now Marrero and scientists and doctors from Canada and around the world are playing detective in a medical whodunit, racing to untangle the cause of the brain disorder that has afflicted 48 people, six of whom have died, in the Moncton area and New Brunswick's Acadian peninsula.

Those afflicted with the condition - called the New Brunswick Cluster of Neurological Syndrome of Unknown Cause, for now - have ranged in age from 18 to 85. Symptoms began in 2018 and onward for many of them, but one case in 2015 was identified retrospectively last year.

"The suffering is immense . . . because it's beyond physical," said Marrero, who works at Moncton's Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Center. "There's also the neuropsychiatric and moral suffering of the patients that is only partially relieved by medications."

An otherwise healthy 75-year-old woman arrived at the Dumont emergency department last June. For months, she had experienced unexplained weight loss and what she described to her daughter as a "trembling sensation" inside her body. Her legs felt heavy. One arm was shaking involuntarily.

The daughter said her mother is one of the cases under investigation.

"My mother goes to bed at night and questions herself: 'Am I going to wake up tomorrow, and if I do wake up tomorrow, am I going to be able to walk or talk?'" she said. "Because there's no answers. Nobody knows anything. There's no reasoning. There's nothing."

Patients experience a constellation of symptoms, Marrero said, usually beginning with atypical anxiety, depression and muscle aches or spasms. They develop sleep disorders, including insomnia so severe that they sleep only a few nights a week or not at all, even with medication. Their brains are atrophied.

Many experience blurred vision, memory problems, teeth chattering, hair loss and trouble with balance. Some, including those in palliative care being administered strong medications, suffer from uncontrollable muscle jerks. Others have rapid and unexplained weight loss and muscle atrophy.

Some have hallucinations, including what Marrero said are "terrifying hallucinatory dreams" that leave them afraid to go to sleep, and tactile hallucinations in which they feel as if insects are crawling on them. One symptom, particularly devastating for loved ones, is Capgras delusion, a belief that family members have been replaced by impostors.

"The rapidity in the constellation of features is something that - I've not seen this before," said Michael Strong, the neurologist who heads the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.

The cluster was detected by the federal public health agency's Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease surveillance system, which monitors for CJD and other prion disorders. They occur when prions, misfolded proteins, build up and cause normal proteins in the brain to misfold. Under a microscope, the brains of people and animals with prion disorders resemble sponges with small holes.

Michael Coulthart, who heads the surveillance system, said it's notified of many suspected cases each year, but only a tiny number are confirmed. The system has identified 36 "definite and probable" cases of CJD in New Brunswick since 1998.

The system doesn't typically follow up on unconfirmed cases; the physician treating the patient is left to search for another diagnosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2022 11:46 PM

Marrero, with one such case in 2015, couldn't find a satisfying diagnosis. From 2018 on, patients kept showing up with similar symptoms. In 2019, there were 11 cases in New Brunswick that would later be identified as part of the cluster. In 2020, there were 24. Marrero and Coulthart thought they could be dealing with something new.

"We say that they were resistant to diagnosis," Coulthart said. "That's what had to emerge as a pattern before we started talking about a cluster."

Scientists believe the syndrome has a two-year incubation period. They're pursuing every clue - sleuthing through environmental exposures to travel histories to diets - to determine its etiology.

Marrero has tested his patients' blood and screened for the presence of zoonotic infectious diseases known to cause neurological symptoms. He's looked for autoimmune disorders, metabolic deficits and cancer. His patients undergo genetic testing. None of it has brought an answer.

Testing cerebrospinal fluid for elevated levels of protein markers can help diagnose CJD in life, but Marrero's patients are negative. Brain autopsies for three of the dead - the gold standard for confirming a diagnosis - have displayed no hint of a known prion disorder. Molecular testing of those samples is underway.

"These cases for all intents and purposes by their description should be CJD," Strong said. "That's what they sound like and are presenting like, and yet the testing is negative."

One theory is that the syndrome is caused by an entirely new prion disorder. Another is that it's tied to exposure to an environmental toxin.

One toxin that has come under scrutiny is beta-Methylamino-L-alanine, which is produced by cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae blooms. Another is domoic acid, a naturally occurring toxin produced by certain types of algae, that was responsible for a deadly contaminated seafood outbreak in Canada in 1987.

In Caraquet, a town of some 4,200 people in the Acadian peninsula, Mayor Kevin Haché said "the biggest problem is the unknown."

"The population is in shock," Haché said, "to realize that there's a sickness out there, and we don't know anything about it, and we don't know where it's coming from, and we don't know what to do to protect ourselves from it."

Across the border in Maine, officials say their disease surveillance and epidemiology teams learned about the cluster in March. Robert Long, a spokesman for the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said no cases with similar characteristics have been reported in the state.

New Brunswick has fared relatively well against the coronavirus, but the scientists and doctors who are investigating the new syndrome say it has slowed their work.

"The pandemic has put many wrenches in the works," said Neil Cashman, a neurologist at the University of British Columbia. He's advising the investigation, mostly over Zoom.

Strong agreed.

"The worst time for this to have happened is in the middle of a pandemic," he said.

When the coronavirus hit, many non-emergency procedures, including diagnostic imaging and spinal taps, were temporarily canceled. Some patients feared seeking medical aid because they worried about contracting the virus, Marrero said.

New Brunswick's travel restrictions and quarantine rules have complicated efforts to get epidemiologists on the ground to take environmental samples and interview residents.

"New Brunswick has been able to divert some new resources to the issue as it gradually became more and more recognized as needing constant attention," Coulthart said. "But I don't think we still have all the people engaged that we're going to have."

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2021 6:49 PM

Some in the province have expressed frustration at what they've said is a lack of transparency from the government. The CJD surveillance system brought the province into its investigation in December, and a draft case definition was compiled in January. But the public wasn't made aware of the cluster until mid-March, when the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported on a memo about the cases sent to New Brunswick physicians that month.

When a reporter at a news conference on the coronavirus asked if officials could address the "news of this mysterious neurological syndrome," Jennifer Russell, the province's chief medical officer of health, confirmed that more than 40 cases were under investigation.

A spokeswoman for New Brunswick's health department did not respond to a question about why the public first learned about the cluster in a media report.

"The Department of Health is committed to continue working closely with our provincial and federal partners to explore and identify all potential causes including food, environmental and animal exposures," spokeswoman Abigail McCarthy said.

Coulthart said the attention the cluster is now drawing leaves him "confident that, in the end, we're going to arrive at an answer."

Marrero says he tries to sound an optimistic note with his patients and their families.

"Fear is understandable," he said. "But we are working for hope."

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2021 6:49 PM

This is terrrible and I’m betting it’s some sort of chemical pollutant.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2021 7:20 PM

Inbreeding? Recreational drug? Airborne pollutant? Contaminant in the water supply? Residents have turned cannibal and are spreading Curu?

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2021 10:10 PM

Maybe it was the Covid vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2021 10:12 PM

R5 Back in 2015?

Are you related to Einstein?

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] Are you related to Einstein?

Are you related to CUNTSTEIN???

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2021 11:47 PM

[quote] Maybe it was the Covid vaccine.

The syndrome was first recorded in 2015.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2021 7:46 PM

Aren't they just describing mad cow disease?

Symptoms include:

loss of intellect and memory

changes in personality

loss of balance and co-ordination

slurred speech

vision problems and blindness

abnormal jerking movements

progressive loss of brain function and mobility

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2021 7:53 PM

Well, that’s terrifying.

I agree with r3.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2021 8:35 PM

Sort of related, and something that has always bothered me for obvious reasons

I graduated high school in 1990. By the 10 year reunion, more than 10 people in the class, and parents had died of brain cancer. I've known several other people who have died of or suffer from various other diseases. There's no way it's a coincidence. My graduating class was pretty small compared to a lot of other areas.

I grew up in an upper class area, it was one of the most affluent zip codes in the US at the time. I'm not saying it to brag I'm saying it to illustrate that this wasn't a wasteland, there were no factories, or anything else like that going on where I lived. But at the same time, there's no way there wasn't some strange thing going on in that area.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2021 8:47 PM

I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m sure Shawn Mendes has something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2021 8:54 PM

I hope it’s not airborne. I simply can’t bear another pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2021 10:13 PM

They really should try essential oils for treatment of this disease. A few drops of Thieves and Lemongrass in a Young Living diffuser every day would clear it right up.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2021 10:45 PM

The scariest disease I know of because the patient knows he the nature of the disease he has, knows that no one will believe him (and they don't, until much later.

Evidently patients announce incredible things like "I know I have Mad Cow Disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease; it's destroying my brain and no one will believe me., and there's nothing that can be done." And later their families are struck at how right they were.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2021 12:20 AM

R5/R8 someone is saying on another thread that the spike protein in the mRNA vaccines somehow introduces a massive load of prions into the blood, that then cross the brain barrier and essentially eat the mind. Apparently, in a few years we will see mass disablement of millions of people because of this effect from the vaccines.

Is that true? Can someone who knows anything about science weigh in on that?

The poster cited a study from John Hopkins about it, titled ‘SPARS’. It’s in the thread linked blow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2021 2:59 PM

R16 The paper you referred to regarding speculation about Covid 19 vaccines and prion disease is a shoddy piece of propaganda. The MD who authored it is a known anti vaxxer who is pals with the biggest Kennedy idiot (Robert Jr).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2021 3:19 PM

Okay DL, here's a wacko theory that combines this mysterious illness (which has medically been determined NOT to be any known version of Creutzfeldt-Jacob) with a favorite DL mystery: What' behind the murders of sleazy Canadian pharma billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife?

Yes, it's from CDAN, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and CDAN was one of the sites that was outing Spacey, Weinstein and Singer long before the gross stories about them became common knowledge.

This theory is so dark, there might be something to it. Remember, the Shermans' kids (and heirs to all their certainly ill-gotten riches) went all the way to Canada's top court to get the details of the murders sealed. Which, if there's any truth to this story, is certainly the kind of thing you'd want to keep under wraps until the estate was settled...

From The Grave

Several years ago I told you in this very space about the drug testing being done by a company north of the border. I told you at the time, that in addition to testing unsuspecting people in third world countries, it was also testing in its own country to unsuspecting populations. They knew it was a dangerous drug, but thought maybe the benefits would outweigh the danger. It was really about the money and control. It did end up in the death of the owner of the company and his wife. Now, authorities are finally realizing what hit them was this drug testing. In one province, several people have died and dozens are sick. They will never fully recover. Their brains are permanently damaged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 6:17 PM

We're overlooking the good news here, which is the discovery that people from New Brunswick have brains to afflict.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 6:22 PM

Hantavirus?

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 6:27 PM

Isn't Hantavirus a hemorrhagic fever? That sounds nothing like this.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 7:15 PM

Getting worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 2, 2022 11:02 PM

Sounds like they're covering it up or downplaying it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 2, 2022 11:04 PM

I suspect it’s environmental, or genetic.

I could believe Barry Sherman would have done testing on humans. He was pretty ruthless.

by Anonymousreply 24January 2, 2022 11:14 PM

This is freaky!

by Anonymousreply 25January 2, 2022 11:17 PM

Sooo thats what wrong with canadians !

by Anonymousreply 26January 2, 2022 11:18 PM

could it be contagious? are these dangerous lobsters only in New Brunswick?

by Anonymousreply 27January 2, 2022 11:22 PM

R9 Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease is the human variant of Mad cow disease. However, you can test for the presence of the prions that cause CJD (on autopsy), so clearly it is not that

I would bet that this may be an emerging prion disease.

by Anonymousreply 28January 2, 2022 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!