Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays - Do you Remember Skylab?

With this new story about the Pentagon tracking an out-of-control Chinese rocket that could re-enter Earth's atmosphere, I was reminded of the whole Skylab scare back in 1979, when the the giant structure was tumbling through space toward Earth and everyone was afraid it was going to fall on them.

I remember reading a biography about Halston, and Liza Minelli, who was a coked up mess at the time, would pound on Halston's apartment door late at night, freaking out that Skylab was going to fall on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 2:04 AM

Chineshe Shpace Shtation Shkylab.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2021 12:50 AM

Yes. I friend brought a girl to a party who was wearing a construction helmet to protect her from Skylab. He had picked her up hitchhiking.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2021 12:55 AM

I remember being deathly afraid of it. Everyone on our block went outside to watch the sky, I peeked out for a few minutes & ran back in, convinced it would land on me. My dad kept telling me it would land in the ocean most likely.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2021 12:58 AM

Parts of it did end up crashing into the Indian Ocean, but other parts fell on a small town in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2021 1:01 AM

R2 That is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2021 1:01 AM

The woman who lived in the house across the street from us was petrified of Skylab. She would literally run out to her mailbox and right back into the house during the period of time when no one was sure when or where it would crash.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2021 1:27 AM

I remember the news reports about it, but I don't recall anyone being especially afraid. My town was being terrorized by the East Area rapist at the time getting wall to wall news coverage and it was practically all people talked about. There were nightly helicopter flyovers. Hardware stores would run out of locks and people were driving to other towns to buy guns because the city was clean out of them. Skylab, schmylab was the attitude.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2021 2:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!