Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bad Odours Coming from the Kitchen Sink

Is there a way to treat the smell other than taking pipes apart? I’m assuming it’s decomposing food.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2021 2:11 AM

Baking soda followed by vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 11:09 PM

Get some caustic soda.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 11:09 PM

Citrus peels

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 11:11 PM

Why would you have decomposing food in your drain?

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 11:13 PM

Fill up your garbage disposal with ice cubes (assuming you have a disposal under your sink). Turn it on, at the same time you run hot water out of the tap at full strength. The crushed ice and hot water will clean the disposal gears and clear off any stuck food and/or grease particles that could cause odor.

Otherwise, a good dose of hydrogen peroxide (like a half cup poured down the drain, then allowed to sit for several mins) will clear up the odor.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 11:14 PM

Summer's Eve

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 11:14 PM

I've found a new place to hide!

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 11:15 PM

I don't perceive the problem

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

Let me know if you find a solution, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 11:17 PM

Stop shitting in your sink.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 11:18 PM

Thank you R1, R2, R3 and R5. I don’t have a garbage disposal, but will try your suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 11:32 PM

Boil a big pot of water and pour it down the both drains, wait about 20 minutes and follow with baking soda and white vinegar, as R1 advised. I also pour boiling water in every drain I the bathroom as well. ( Sinks and shower/bath) I do this weekly. 🚢🛁🚽🚿😘

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 11:38 PM

bleachy water.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 11:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 11:38 PM

R5-- Thanks, I am going try that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 11:40 PM

It sounds like you've got a stink monster in your sink. Have you tried playing loud music to make it go away?

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 11:41 PM

Okay. How can I get the stainless sink and SIDES of the sink clean and looking new?

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 11:41 PM

vinegar scrub

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 11:42 PM

^ didn't work

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 11:42 PM

Is this your house, OP?

You might want to sit down...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 11:51 PM

Make sure your sink stopper and the drain hole are clean. Mine get grungy really fast.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2021 12:16 AM

You've been grinding your rats in the garbage disposal and you're bothering us about it?

Please.

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2021 12:24 AM

r22 He already said he doesn't have a disposal.

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2021 12:25 AM

I pour a bit of straight bleach and allow it to sit in the trap, then flush with hot water after a half hour or so.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2021 12:27 AM

Do you have a double-sided sink and only use one side? Depending on the p-trap set up underneath you could be getting gas from the sewer/septic.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2021 12:38 AM

When my grandma boiled hot water to make tea, she would make the tea and then pour the excess boiling water down the kitchen sink, to "keep it sweet". Boiling water kills bacteria, so yes, if you happen to be making boiling water then why not use it to prevent nasty kitchen smells!

And if that doesn't work, run some dilute bleach through it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2021 3:32 AM

Bleach honey, my god how hard is it to figure that out?

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote]if you happen to be making boiling water

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2021 4:10 AM

baking soda followed with vinegar

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2021 4:45 AM

I wouldn't put citrus peels or citrus fruits in your disposal. I don't know how that got started.

I would buy some Drano or Liquid Plumber and use as instructed.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote]I wouldn't put citrus peels or citrus fruits in your disposal.

Yes, they weren't made for food scraps.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2021 5:21 AM

I use bleach in mine if they start to smell. Seems to work pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2021 5:30 AM

Cockroaches live in your kitchen drain. They only come out at night.

You can use drain cleaners but I always insert the plug every night.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 5:31 AM

Warsh your vagina!

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2021 5:35 AM

Bleach, dumbass.

Otherwise, have Gwen come in and WARSH YOUR VAGINA!

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2021 5:40 AM

You need a better way to dispose of the body parts, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2021 6:09 AM

You need to get the landlord, super or a plumber in to clean out the trap under the sink. There's too much shit in it.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2021 6:12 AM

My plumber told me to buy a bag or two of ice (you need a lot), and run it through the disposal. The ice gets in between the blades and cleans out food that stuck between them. Also, he said that most people don't have the disposal going long enough after all of the garbage is chewed up, so continue to run it for about 30 seconds (with water) after you think you should turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2021 8:03 AM

[quote]You can use drain cleaners but I always insert the plug every night

WHAT PLUG?

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2021 1:52 PM

Cheap household bleach OP. Pour a whole bottle down the drain and leave it there for a couple of hours. That will fix it.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2021 2:20 PM

It seems some posters are talking about garbage disposals and some are referring to just sinks. Never put a product like Drano or any other chemical drain cleaner in a garbage disposal.

Also, be aware of the types of pipes you have under the sink. Some local building codes allow for plastic or PVC pipes, while others mandate only metal. Read the labels on your drain cleaner and only use where appropriate.

And be aware of the fumes some chemicals put off. Full strength bleach could be overpowering. And never mix chemicals or drain cleaners. Bleach and ammonia produces a deadly gas.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2021 2:32 PM

I was talking about the sink drain R41. Not the garbage disposal. OP said in R11 that he didn't have a garbage disposal.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote]Okay. How can I get the stainless sink and SIDES of the sink clean and looking new?

Let soapy water with plenty of bleach stand in the sink and then scrub. The bleach really gets my stainless steel sink clean.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2021 3:19 PM

What about those Sani Sticks they advertise on tv? Has anyone tried those?

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2021 3:20 PM

R23, she meant she doesn't have a working disposal any more, and we know why.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 3:20 PM

Stop your husband from shitting in the sink.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 3:23 PM

Yes, I put Clorox down the kitchen drain and flushed it with boiling hot water. Now how do I get those water marks off? Somebody told me rubbing alcohol!

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2021 12:40 AM

What kind of water marks?

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2021 12:48 AM

Where do you live? In some countries sewer gas traps aren't always used. Other places there's always the possibility of a quick DIY job that skipped the trap.

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2021 12:48 AM

Save up your egg shells (if you eat eggs) and run the through the disposal once a week. It will keep your disposal and pipes cleaned. The guy who installed a replacement disposal for me years ago told me about that trick. I was doubtful at first until I did it and was amazed at how much faster the sink drained afterward.

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2021 12:52 AM

OP ignore all of them and listen to me.

Ok?

Fill the sink with water (not hot - room temperature).

Boil some water.

Pour a little detergent (anything that fights grease will do) gently, on the water, so that it sits on the water’s surface. Just a couple of spoonfuls.

Simultaneously pour boiling water into the middle of the detergent, just after you’ve removed the plug from the sink.

Come back here and thank me.

Ps - this is mainly to clear blocked drains but will also flush out anything else that is there and that smells.

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]if you happen to be making boiling water

Can I have your recipe?

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2021 1:15 AM

Always run hot water for about one minute after you are done washing dishes or pots/pans in the sink to rinse away any remaining food debris in the drain.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2021 1:23 AM

My hot water tank has to be completely replaced I found out today. I’ve had no hot water since Monday night. It’s been one of those weeks. My stinky sink problem is no longer my biggest concern.

I did try some of your suggestions and as far as I can tell the odour is either gone or not nearly as bad.

Thank you again!

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2021 1:26 AM

R54 That's too bad, I had to go through replacing my hot water tank three years ago. Unfortunately they don't last forever. Remember to flush water out at least twice a year from the tank to remove sediment so that it's less likely to rust.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2021 2:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!