Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did American Idol, The Voice and These Other Singing Competitions Spoil the Music Industry of Today?

Somehow, I think it did. Especially with the so-called "judges" being so dismissive of many talented musicians who may not have the "IT" factor or stage presence, according to those judges. The indifference has numbed audiences to talented singers and have them searching for something else to the point where non-singers are dominating the music industry. A lot of the old school musicians, singers and even pop stars (many with memorable hits you will still hear on radio) wouldn't have made it today in these competitions.

Would a Mama Cass have made it today if they went on A.I.? Would a Carly Simon? Would the Beatles? Would Tina Turner or Patti LaBelle?

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 11:58 PM

I think so. They all tend to sound the same, and I'm not into whatever sound that is.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 6:02 PM

The Information Age is driving culture in general to become more homogenized. It is pretty boring. I think good, unique music still exists in most genres, but you have to hunt for it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 6:06 PM

Singing competitions ruined live music. When was the last time a real band that play instruments was popular? Those types of shows made singers (especially diva types) out to be the only important thing about music. As a result the current popular artists are solo singers fronting interchangeable back up bands. When was the last time a young guitarist got noticed for their talent? The only musician I can think of is St. Vincent(Annie) but she's not nearly a household name like Miley Cyrus. If Led Zeppelin was around today it would be billed as Robert Plant and no one would care about the players.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 6:09 PM

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I don't think so. At least they emphasize singing and pay homage to the singers of the past. A lot of the music produced by AI contestants may not be very good, but at least are songs. I think the loss of monetization due to streaming that has hit songwriters especially hard is the prime culprit of why music is shit now.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 6:26 PM

Only in the shithole America industry. Go listen to French pop or Brit pop and they are still catchy and tuneful.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 6:32 PM

I wish instrumental music was more popular. Singing has become so overrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 6:37 PM

Or Wayne Newton? Yma Sumac, Ethel Waters or Enrico Caruso? Polly Bergen? What about Hildegard or Harry Nillson or Connie Boswell or Beatrice Lillie?

Tammy Grimes? The Harrisburg Honeybees? The Four Blind Boys of Alabama? What about the Food Blind Boys of Mississippi or the Three Blind Boys and a Cross-Eyed Colleen of County Cork? Tito Jackson? L'il Biggie Bigger? Sho'now Q? Rihanna? The Association? The Cowsills?

What about Leontyne Price? Jimmie Rogers? Thelonius Monk? Def Leppard? Patty Andrews? Laverne Andrews? Maxine Andrews? Celia Cruz? Kathryn Grasyon?

And what about the King Sisters?

WELL?

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 6:38 PM

OR HARRY NILSSON????????

I'm so upset I can't SPEL!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 6:40 PM

Harry Nilsson was attractive enough with a beard. Wayne Newton, I will never understand his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 6:42 PM

Televised talent shows have been around for a very long time so I don't think so. I believe today's music "situation" has more to do with Napster, digital delivery, death of the CD/liner notes, Spotify, etc. When Idol, Voice and all the others exploded in popularity, I don't think it necessarily harmed the industry.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 6:42 PM

Who needs any of those singers when you have Carrie Underwood....

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 6:50 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote] I think the loss of monetization due to streaming that has hit songwriters especially hard is the prime culprit of why music is shit now.

For any of us who were alive in the 70s/80s/90s it's all changed, for several reasons.

Contracts have gotten WORSE, not better. And larger record labels are only signing acts that can be promoted around the world. Like broadcast TV, no one is taking chances.

Artists get SO LITTLE from streaming it's ridiculous.

It makes no sense for them to go the old route. The last few that have done it, and experienced success: Adele, Beyonce, Amy W and Coldplay. And their initial records (or their bands' original records) were 15 to 20 years ago. Most wide appeal artists in the last decade have emerged from reality shows.

On the positive side, indie bands and artists with talent and a specific appeal can sign to small labels or go via Bandcamp and or YouTube. They can control the music, image, etc. in a way that wasn't possible before.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 7:02 PM

An amazing song is an amazing song. Its more about the producer/songwriters than the singing talent. When you hear it either you want to play it again over and over or not

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 7:04 PM

I agree, and I think those that are truly talented get discouraged early on and give up. Unless you have a "brand" you're likely not to be heard sadly.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 7:05 PM

Singers no longer interpret songs. They hit the right notes or have vocal pyrotechnics, but they don't make you feel anything. Singing is really storytelling in the same way as someone who acts or paints or writes. It's not always about vocal perfection. It helps, sure, but if you can't make us feel anything, why bother? This style has found its way to Broadway in the past 20 years and it's all the worse for it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 7:11 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 7:16 PM

R17, why does it matter whether Carly Simon would have made it on American Idol? It's not like being on AI is the only way to make it in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 7:18 PM

R16 is the "everything was better in my day" troll.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 7:18 PM

R11, Carrie Underwood sucks. She makes Faith Hill looks punk rock

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 7:19 PM

I agree, OP. More importance is placed on style than substance. Your mediocre voice is acceptable as long as you're telegenic.

The silly thing is: do any of these singing competition shows produce music stars? You have Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood. . . and who else? What a poor track record.

AI and The Voice are like America's Next Top Model and its spinoffs. Very very few of the winners actually become successful singers or top fashion models. Most can aspire to temporary, reality show D-list fame. Eventually, they become a footnote. Next.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 7:41 PM

Imagine Madonna on one of these singing competitions. She can't sing on key live.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 7:43 PM

If it weren't for American Idol, the world would have been deprived of the greatest singer of our time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 8:09 PM

Idol trash Bump

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 11:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!