Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who are *CHEAP* NOT Frugal

Case in point: Travel. Do y’all know these people?

My calendar is BOOKED for the summer and I have three trips planned. One in August by myself, one in July for a friend’s birthday, and one on Memorial Day to help someone possibly stake out a move to Chicago.

Trying to plan the May & July trip with the rest of the parties has been a HEADACHE.

“I’m not trying to spend too much.”

“Yeah, if more people come it will be cheaper!”

The Chicago trip I can sort of understand— a quick weekend shouldn’t break the budget. But if you are traveling to a city you don’t know, you are going to spend money.

The July trip was originally to Miami, but was moved to Houston in part because of traveling costs. We are in line for an AirBnb with 1 shower for 5 people because “we want to keep it reasonable.” Why are we even going then if all you are going to do is whine about how much this costs and that costs? At dinner, cutting up the receipt at the table while we’re still out trying to enjoy ourselves because “I only ate this much and had one drink, so I am only paying.”

These people are no fun to plan travel with. You are going to spend money traveling, that is the point!

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2022 12:33 AM

Yes, this is a rant, but y’all know who I am talking about!

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 3:08 AM

Your story has become tiresome

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 3:10 AM

OP, nobody can stop you from living above your means, but stop trying to get other people to live above theirs.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] At dinner, cutting up the receipt at the table while we’re still out trying to enjoy ourselves because “I only ate this much and had one drink, so I am only paying.”

How annoying. One person pays, and if it's really that much of an issue, others can Venmo that person afterwards. What a headache for the servers.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 5:58 PM

Aren't YOU the cheap one, since you're sharing an Airbnb with multiple people? Are you still in college?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 5:59 PM

I once dated a guy who wore fake diamonds! Talk about tacky. We laughed at him on the yacht.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 6:16 PM

Wait. OP, you would actually have preferred to go to Miami in AUGUST? Not that Houston's much better...the problem I see is mainly with the destination choices, not with the budget.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 7:46 PM

I can sort of agree with OP here. Frugal is being responsible and going on a vacation or a getaway when you can afford it, otherwise decline all together.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 10:53 PM

Never ever travel with people that don’t want to live or spend like you want to. All will be miserable

One bathroom for five is second world living. I’d rather travel solo than travel like I’m backpacking thru Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 1:38 AM

You sound poor.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 1:43 AM

cheap often crosses into the territory of users.

but the same applies to high maintenance.

neither are particularly pleasant on group outings or trips.

of course, if you're h.m then you think everyone is cheap.

if you're cheap, then everyone else is high maintenance. ..

and there's only one solution.

caged death match... and have the victor arrrested for murder.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 2:02 AM

Frugal is when it affects you, only.

Cheap is when it affects someone else.

Anyway, when traveling with friend(s), I've decided to get my own room for now on. Last time I traveled with a friend, there was a snoring issue (not me) and this friend also could not sleep in the dark (needed the bathroom light to be on). More stuff than that, but that was enough. (I need my sleep on vacation.)

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 2:08 AM

20% is outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 2:27 AM

Agree with R7. Only an idiot goes to Miami or Houston in summer.

Also, OP: Is this what you consider "travel?" Suburban shit-holes in your own country? Miami has some tourism appeal if you have money - and it sounds like you and your friends do not - but Houston? Not even the Astronauts want to live there.

Real travel costs real money. You're on the right track, but let's not pretend you're Dickie Greenleaf to begin with. Wait until you're planning a trip to Rio or The Maldives or Norway with friends of yours. Then you'll really know who's a cheap cunt!

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 2:31 AM

OP, if you and/or your friends have to share a suite to afford stay in another city, you really have no business traveling together. You need to make more money so you can each afford your own room.

The answer to the problem with the restaurant bill is for everyone to ask for separate checks at the beginning of ther evening. it's almost never a problem anymore at most restaurants in the US & Canada (or in northern Europe, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 3:34 AM

This is from a year ago. How did your trips go, OP?

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 3:59 AM

Cheap is booking someone to do you a professional job, then either cancelling the booking last-minute or refusing to pay/comp fairly for services rendered. Unless of course the services rendered were shoddy, and you have grounds for complaint. Otherwise, CHEAP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2022 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!