Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida Gov. DeSantis suspends all remaining Covid restrictions: 'We are no longer in a state of emergency'

KEY POINTS

-Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an executive order on Monday that immediately suspends the state's remaining Covid-19 public health restrictions.

-"I think that's the evidence-based thing to do," DeSantis said at a Monday news conference.

-Private businesses can still require masks and enforce social distancing and other protective measures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2021 4:39 AM

Yay! More dead dumb Floridians!

Bye, assholes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 7:48 PM

Florida Man

Florida Man

Doin' the things a Florida can

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 7:52 PM

We are getting there, but of course the fucker wants to rush it. Florida is still only at 42% with one shot. You'd want the vaccine percentage higher before you do this.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 7:53 PM

I can't believe there are people who are pushing for his asshole to run for President. Even one who posts here.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 7:56 PM

Let’s see how this goes.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 8:01 PM

cunt

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 8:01 PM

D-Bag

We still need to hold out just a bit longer

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 8:16 PM

They’ve been manipulating the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 8:17 PM

Our local municipality cancelled all mask mandates just as our numbers were going up, this is probably happening all over the country and we're going to have another wave of illness, it's so damn frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 8:19 PM

r8 -- yes, FL is not reporting accurate #s.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 8:24 PM

I’m excited about this!

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 8:31 PM

I'm convinced they are actively trying to sabotage the Biden administration as a favor to their former dear leader, even if it comes at the expense of public health.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 8:32 PM

R12 As Machiavellian as that sounds, I would not be in the least surprised.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 8:33 PM

One of my favorite songs about Florida. Should be the state song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 8:41 PM

R14 The band’s name is certainly apropos!

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 8:42 PM

R12 that makes me sick and it’s probably true. They won’t succeed, though.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 8:54 PM

When is this little porker going to die of stupid? His state is loaded with it

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 8:59 PM

This will end in many, many lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 9:05 PM

People are sick of it. I'm sick of it. I've had my shots and anyone who wants it can get the vaccine where I live.

It's a smart political move.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 9:11 PM

This guy is going to be president in 2024 or 2028 unless democrats organize and get rid of him in 2022. He’s a huge danger and we ignore him at our peril. The guy is a really good politician and is really popular in Florida. Be afraid.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 9:13 PM

r20 -- DeSantis is a very dangerous man.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 9:15 PM

I'm hoping he's involved in the Matt Gaetz scandal. I'm betting he is

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 9:18 PM

R22 I doubt it. He’s too smart to get involved in stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 9:19 PM

Yeah, he is the kind of belligerent piece of shit that appeals to many American pieces of shit (i.e. The Republicans). Even though he looks like a cro-magnon fresh from the cave, he's got a BA from Yale and a JD from Harvard. He's smarter than he looks and thus he's extremely dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 9:31 PM

Those of you who confidently state that Florida has been dishonest with its numbers: do you have hard evidence of this? Because if not, you're just as bad as those that confidently state the election was stolen.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 9:55 PM

R25 Did you forget or even know about Rebekah Jones?

[quote] On May 5th, Jones was fired from her position at the Florida Department of Health.[14] She claimed that the state pressured her to strategically align COVID-19 case data with Florida's goal to reopen the state, and launched an independent COVID-19 data dashboard for the state of Florida in response.[5] Jones did not challenge the state's data on cases, deaths, hospitalizations, or testing, and she used data from the state in her own dashboard.[15] Her initial allegations amounted to disagreements about the method by which the state computed test positivity rates, which had been previously announced on April 24th, as well as a state policy on reopening of rural counties which was permitted under federal guidelines.[16]

[quote]Her dashboard also differed from the state in how it presented tests: her dashboard counted the number of people tested, while the state counted the number of tests administered. Jones also alleged that the state ordered her to delete positive test results from January 2020. A spokesperson for the Department of Health responded that the dates Jones referred to were "event dates" which corresponded to dates when individuals may have come into contact with the virus, rather than dates when they tested positive. The spokesperson also criticized Jones' COVID-19 dashboard for including antibody tests for counting virus tests with antibody tests and for counting non-resident deaths.[15]

[quote]Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has denied the allegations, saying that she has provided no evidence.[17] The governor claimed that she was dismissed for making unilateral decisions about the dashboard without consulting others on the team.[18]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 10:02 PM

Back in January:

[quote] Jones announced on social media Saturday that she planned to turn herself in: “To protect my family from continued police violence, and to show that I'm ready to fight whatever they throw at me, I'm turning myself into police in Florida Sunday night."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 10:03 PM

At what percentage should we lift the mask mandate. This is Whitmer's plan in Michigan.

[quote]

[quote] ● Two weeks after 55% of Michiganders (4,453,304 residents) over 16 get one dose, in-person work will be allowed in all business sectors.

[quote] ● Two weeks after 60% of Michiganders (4,858,150 residents) over 16 get at least one dose, indoor capacity at sports stadiums will increase to 25%; indoor capacity at conference centers, banquet halls and funeral homes will increase to 25%; gym capacity will increase to 50%; and bars and restaurants will no longer be required to close early.

[quote] ● Two weeks after 65% of Michiganders (5,262,996 residents) over 16 get at least one dose, all indoor capacity limits will be lifted, but social distancing between parties will be maintained. Limits on residential social gatherings will also be relaxed.

[quote] ● Two weeks after 70% of Michiganders (5,667,842 residents) over 16 get at least one dose, the gathers and facemask order will be lifted and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services “will no longer employ broad mitigation measures unless unanticipated circumstances arise, such as the spread of vaccine-resistant variants.”

I could argue the details but I think proposing a plan like this will encourage more people to get vaccinated. However,I've spoken to liberals who think that masks should be worn even after over 80% of people get vaccinated, which doesn't even factor in the people who have natural immunity. In other words, I think there are a certain contingent of people who want masks indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 10:04 PM

Also:

[bold] Report: Florida May Have Undercounted Its COVID-19 Deaths by Thousands[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 10:04 PM

From last December:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 10:05 PM

I know my prayers won't be answered but I hope he gets COVID

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 10:06 PM

So please, let’s not in any way play devil’s advocate for this neanderthal looking motherfucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 10:07 PM

Look-I live in Florida and I can say, without a doubt that

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] In other words, I think there are a certain contingent of people who want masks indefinitely.

There are people who are so attached to the issue that they can't face a time when things will be normal.

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 10:44 PM

Just as the Indian variant is out of control and it’s known that an out-of-control variant can lead to more variants, some of which could be resistant to the current vaccines. It’s a big unknown at this point, but I guess you do you, Florida? Lol

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2021 10:49 PM

Jesus Christ, you could show a movie on his suit jacket. Now I don’t feel so bad about my pandemic ten pounds

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2021 11:39 PM

I’m trying to figure out his height. He looks about 5’6”, but photos are confusing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2021 11:42 PM

This guy is going to be the next POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2021 11:43 PM

R28 that sounds like a good overall plan and I agree about the motivation. Plus, it’s getting too hot to wear them already (in the winter it’s like wearing another scarf, who even cares), it’s gonna happen soon enough everywhere, it’s inevitable. I’m predicting by July 4th.

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2021 11:45 PM

Obviously I want him proven wrong, but I have friends in Fort Lauderdale and Miami whom I don’t want to get sick.

But what if he’s right by some stroke of luck. Good god.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 12:05 AM

At this point, I just hope all the anti vaxxers die.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 12:17 AM

Good job De Santis.

And others are following his lead.

Starting on May 19th.

(NYTimes) "New York and its neighbors New Jersey and Connecticut announced on Monday that they were lifting almost all their pandemic restrictions, paving the way for a return to fuller offices and restaurants, a more vibrant nightlife and a richer array of cultural and religious gatherings for the first time in a year."

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 12:25 AM

NY, NJ & CT are not following De Santis' lead.

They're following the science.

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 12:30 AM

How does he stand that thickly-cut hairstyle in hot, humid Floriduh?

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 12:36 AM

R43 I know exactly. Why are so many all or nothing around here (I guess it’s reflective of our country, but still).

The mask mandate will be lifted too - later, but it’s inevitable. I’m guessing before July.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2021 12:47 AM

R43 How is opening NYC on May 19th following the science, but opening Miami now is not?

What scientific difference does the 2 weeks make?

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2021 12:52 AM

[quote] The mask mandate will be lifted too - later, but it’s inevitable. I’m guessing before July.

September is my bet

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2021 12:55 AM

this fucking piece of shit also signed a law BANNING vaccine passports and the ability for businesses/schools to require vaccination from covid

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2021 12:55 AM

R32 It is NY that has the most excess (underreported) death of all the states.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2021 12:56 AM

He looks to be about as wide as he is tall.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2021 12:57 AM

Florida has one of the highest Covid rates in the country right now....

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2021 12:57 AM

R48, you know damn well those would never stand up in court.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2021 1:01 AM

He fired the woman who reported the correct data (Rebekah Jones) and later had her arrested and her home searched.

Isn't that enough proof for you, R25?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2021 1:03 AM

R52 they shouldn't but what happens if right wing judges argue that it's a religious right to not get vaccinated? You know how much of a nutter those Coney Barrett, Thomas and Alito types are

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2021 1:03 AM

The government cannot force anyone to take an experimental drug.

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2021 1:06 AM

Why are so many "conservatives" fat?

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2021 1:37 AM

R46 because NY rates are way wayyy down and they’re doing the reopening methodically - and they still haven’t lifted the mask mandates.

But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2021 1:41 AM

[quote]and they still haven’t lifted the mask mandates.

May 19th "New York and its neighbors New Jersey and Connecticut announced on Monday that they were lifting almost all their pandemic restrictions... "

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

But we knew that.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2021 1:58 AM

Also re: Florida:

"Private businesses can still require masks and enforce social distancing and other protective measures."

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2021 2:01 AM

#DESANTIS2024

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2021 2:02 AM

Connecticut:

"All CT Business Restrictions to Be Phased Out By May 19: Governor"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2021 2:04 AM

R58 capacity restrictions. Not mask restrictions. That’s not gonna happen until there are vax passes. So yeah.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2021 2:08 AM

R6” You said you were for raising the minimum wage and Medicare for All…

You think he will get either done?

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2021 2:31 AM

R63 is meant for R60

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote]capacity restrictions. Not mask restrictions. That’s not gonna happen until there are vax passes. So yeah.

So restaurants can be packed with people. No restrictions on the number of people at a table.

You do realize that we eat without masks don't you?

by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2021 2:36 AM

[quote] You do realize that we eat without masks don't you?

"Conscientious" (pessimistic, terrified) diners will largely keep masks on, lowering them quickly for furtive food and drink intake.

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2021 2:51 AM

If folks would get the vaccine , then this pandemic can end, but I fear with vaccine hesitancy ...it will be never ending .

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2021 2:58 AM

It is a recipe for disaster but I guess who cares anymore. If you're willing to get permanent organ damage for drinking inside a bar, go for it. Hope it is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2021 3:15 AM

While I’m vaccinated and ready to go, I’m still wearing a mask. The people who don’t wear a mask indoors and don’t want the vaccine will either face Darwinian consequences or economic consequences when their job requires it or they’ll have to move along. No office is going to risk taking back those folks.

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2021 3:32 AM

R58 doesn't understand the word "almost" so I'm not sure why anyone is even bothering with him.

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2021 3:44 AM

Wow, everything opening up just as the India variant has arrived. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2021 3:44 AM

[quote] "We are no longer in a state of emergency"

Florida is in a perpetual state of emergency, because it's Florida. But ESPECIALLY so, since January 8, 2019.

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2021 3:48 AM

Death is coming to your little town, sheriff…

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2021 3:50 AM

Florida 7 day average as of May3rd:

4800 positive cases a day and an average of 60 deaths daily.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2021 7:00 AM

And, Florida's positivty rate is 6.11% and climbing.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2021 6:30 PM

He's using the Trump tactic: if you repeat something often enough, stupid people will believe it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2021 8:05 AM

Or, in the case of MAGAts, if you say something stupid once, stupid people will believe it.

by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2021 5:04 PM

Trump says DeSantis is 100% pure muscle and very strong.

by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2021 5:18 PM

And he knows this how...?

by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2021 6:40 PM

And here we are today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]He looks to be about as wide as he is tall.

Lol, I had a childhood friend who as an adult had De Santis' build. My Mom started calling him "Mr. Five by Five." Which convulsed the hell out of me because she was such a straitlaced, protocoligorically correct type.

But she was just remembering that song from her teen years:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 9, 2021 12:15 AM

Hmmmm, somebody with continuing big political aspirations wants to keep on getting elected in our country's most southeastern state version of New Hampshire but with palm trees.. ;)

by Anonymousreply 82May 9, 2021 1:50 AM

This all reminds me of "Jaws" when the lead character was pressured by the powers-that-be not to ruin tourist season with his silly shark talk.

by Anonymousreply 83May 9, 2021 3:03 AM

Ending restrictions in this country is long overdue. With the lowest positivity rate in the country, it's a complete joke CA still has restrictions of any kind in place. Newsom could learn a thing or two from DeSantis.

by Anonymousreply 84May 9, 2021 4:37 AM

Florida 3,977 new cases yesterday. 66 known dead.

Not the time to lift restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2021 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!