Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazing and uplifting dance number!

Take 2.5 minutes and watch this amazing dance scene from the 1936 musical comedy "Swing Time." Astaire and Rogers will definitely put a smile on your face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2021 4:00 PM

And this waltz is in the same movie. Such elegance! My favorite part is 1:25-1:46.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2021 7:47 PM

"Swing Time" is one of the greatest movies if you like watching Fred and Ginger dance.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2021 8:43 PM

Fred had so much pussy back then! He was a whore!

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] Fred had so much pussy back then! He was a whore!

Is that all you have to say?

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 8:48 PM

Frau alert @ r4.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 8:51 PM

As advertised, I did smile. And that was in one take.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 8:56 PM

Yes, amazing that they did that in one take!

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 9:04 PM

I love 1:38-1:47! Ginger lifting her skirt to show her legs is so good!!

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 9:08 PM

lovely

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 9:14 PM

where have all the flowers gone

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 9:14 PM

This, as best I can tell, is the process:

1. Record the music and any vocals in a recording studio.

2. On the movie set, while the cameras roll, the actors must synchronize their singing or dancing to the audio playback of the recorded song (obviously over a loudspeaker so they can hear it). Because of the ambient music playback, none of the sound from the set can be used in the finished film.

3. During the film editing stage, the original studio recording must be synched to the cut film.

4. And here's the tricky part, after the music is added to the film, the actor/dancer must go to a Foley studio and record a tap track on a wooden floor and perfectly match the image on the screen for a clean sound. It's interesting to imagine a Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly or the Nicholas Brothers trying to recreate in sound what they see themselves doing on screen. Anyway, I hope a few of you find this info of interest.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 9:23 PM

Another fabulous number. I've held this dress and it is heavy as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 9:29 PM

R12: How did you get to hold this dress? Has anyone noticed that it is see-through?

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 9:34 PM

In the 1990s, I knew a gentlemen who owned it and several other film costumes. As I recall, the material was threaded with metal or something. It wasn't sequins or bugle beads. The sheerness wasn't apparent unless the bright lights were behind it. At least it looked very solid under normal lighting.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 9:42 PM

Very cool, R12!

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 10:23 PM

This really did make me smile! Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 12:54 AM

I smiled, thanks for sharing OP.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 2:24 AM

[quote]And that was in one take.

If it were in one take, they wouldn't have cut to those lame reaction shots.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 2:41 AM

Is it true that Hermes Pan dubbed Ginger's taps because they were off?

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 2:42 AM

R18, "Waltz in Swing Time" is the number that was filmed in one take. "Pick Yourself Up" obviously was not. (I agree about the lame reaction shots.)

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 2:48 AM

R18, oh you’re right, there were a couple of cuts. But still, the stretch after that last reaction shot is impressive. I thought about the dance routines on DWTS, and maybe they do have longer bits. And maybe I’m romanticizing, but Fred and Ginger really did make it look effortless and fun.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 3:00 AM

Yes, the Waltz in Swing Time was shot in one take.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 1:18 PM

Love how Ginger tosses her hair back at 1:25—1:26.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 1:25 PM

a delight

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 1:27 PM

If they made this today it would have to star some nappy haired girl like Zendaya because..100% representation despite 13% population.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 1:53 PM

The kind of brilliant art we no longer have (See LA LA Land).

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 3:11 PM

These clips are an inspiration.

My downstairs neighbors hate tap dancing which is why I have to do all my moves in the hallway on my way to the trash chute.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 3:21 PM

The piece of lint on the bottom of the screen was the *real* star!

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 3:25 PM

Whenever I feel blue I watch Fred & Ginger. Instant upper.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 3:36 PM

I love this number, it is my favorite! Fred and Ginger were a great romantic dance team. Thanks for posting and for all the information from the posters!

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 3:50 PM

Can't even have a thread about a Fred and Ginger routine without some asshole inserting a racist remark.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 3:56 PM

R25 has been reported.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 9:59 PM

Just seeing this. This is my favorite FA/GR movie. Thanks for making me smile on this otherwise dreary day.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2021 8:18 PM

I can dance way better than that. Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2021 11:04 PM

R11 I don't understand.

Are you saying that the sound has been faked to get perfect synchronisation between the two performers?

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2021 11:13 PM

My 92 year old dad cannot stand watching Fred Astaire. If an old film of his comes on TV, he immediately turns it off.

I asked him why and he said he was fed up of seeing him when he went to the movies as a child.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2021 11:18 PM

R36 Did you dad think Fred Austerlitz was as sexy as Minnie Mouse and Ginger looked like a linebacker?

He can't deny they danced well.

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2021 11:21 PM

R35:

[quote]Are you saying that the sound has been faked to get perfect synchronisation between the two performers?

I don't understand what in particular you don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2021 12:27 AM

R38 The soundtrack has been faked to get the two performers synchronised.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2021 12:51 AM

What do you mean faked? The music was prerecorded, they danced to a playback so that their dancing is in synch with the music and then the music and image are merged in post-production. What's fake about that? Musical films are still made exactly the same way.

Did you think the music and the picture are recorded at the same time? That happens only in very rare situations.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2021 8:00 AM

OP Thanks!

I'm tapping all the way to the coffee maker this am.

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2021 8:03 AM

R35, that's how all musical numbers are filmed. It's not so the two dancers can be synchronized. It's because you can't mic performers while they're dancing. (Or at least you couldn't in those days.) That's because if the mics were close enough to get good sound, they'd be visible in the shot. So they prerecorded the music and played it back on a loudspeaker for the performers to dance to while they filmed. The tap or other dancing sound effects would be added in post-production.

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2021 8:05 AM

You can fix an entire movie in post!

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2021 8:26 AM

[quote]It's not so the two dancers can be synchronized.

Of course it is. Do you think they can just dance in silence and then have it fit exactly to the music when it's added?

[quote]It's because you can't mic performers while they're dancing.

[quote]Of course you can. The earliest sound films did exactly that but it sounded like shit. That's why someone came up with the idea of recording sound and picture separately.

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2021 8:27 AM

"I'll be Hard to Handle" was supposed to have been recorded live and in one take--the first take. You can hear Ginger giggle during it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2021 9:11 AM

Fred with a "ginger" who's a better dancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2021 3:58 PM

Such a fun number, R45!

by Anonymousreply 47May 7, 2021 5:49 PM

'Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels.’ - Bob Thaves

by Anonymousreply 48May 7, 2021 6:28 PM

R44, I thought R35 was referring to the two dancers synchronizing with each other, not the music. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Also, you're right. With modern wireless technology it is possible to mic a musical number live, but it won't look or sound as good as it would if the sound were added in post-production with music that was recorded in a soundproof studio.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2021 7:25 AM

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing OP!!

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2021 7:45 AM

[quote]'Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels.’ - Bob Thaves

That remark has been attributed to a number of people, including Ginger herself, Dorothy Parker, Pauline Kael and many others. Doesn't matter, it's not true, and in reality he always lead. Which she resented.

She was good but not his best partner and they didn't hate or unappreciate each other but both were glad when their RKO contracts expired and they could go on individually to other things.

by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2021 9:26 AM

"She gave him sex appeal and he gave her class" was the line that went around back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2021 9:29 AM

[quote]She was good but not his best partner and they didn't hate or unappreciate each other but both were glad when their RKO contracts expired and they could go on individually to other things.

By 1949, Ginger was thrilled to be asked to replace Judy Garland and, after 10 years, reunite with Fred in "The Barkleys of Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2021 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!