Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Evil Empire of the Sackler Family

Last month was the launch of a well received expose on the Sackler family and they are sure to figure prominently in the upcoming HBO documentary Crime of the Century that starts airing on the tenth of May. Anybody read the book yet and want to share or continue the discussion when the documentary comes out? I read the extended article in the New Yorker a few years ago, I’ll link it inside, but I’ve known mainly out them from being involved in the art world and museums. Most impressive is photographer Nan Goldin’s crusade against them. There have been a smattering of threads, but not much discussion over the years, hopefully some more will happen here. And like the Tina/Meth threads, firsthand experience with the Oxy addiction would really give insight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1818 hours ago

This is the 2017 New Yorker article that Keefe built upon for the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105/02/2021

This was an interesting revelation from the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205/02/2021

Not all Sacklers.

by Anonymousreply 305/02/2021

Haven't read the book yet, but the NYT has run a series of articles on this odious family and its refusal to take responsibility for the aggressive distribution of OxyContin. Just makes your blood boil.

But the doctors who went along and prescribed that poison like it was candy are as bad as the Sacklers, if not worse.

by Anonymousreply 405/02/2021

The NPR Terry Gross interview with the book's author at OP's post is pretty good.

I thought I knew about the opioid crisis, but it's so much darker.

by Anonymousreply 505/02/2021

Cut and run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 605/04/2021

This airs tomorrow and Tuesday nights on HBO, getting great press and reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7Last Sunday at 5:28 PM

Evil, evil drug peddling cunts. I remember when Oxycontin was first brought to market promising to not be addictive. I am definitely watching this tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Sunday at 9:15 PM

Wow, it’s dense and terrifying. Of course evil Guliani shows up at the end of the first episode to be one of the biggest mouthpiece for Perdue. There was a huge federal case that should have shut most of it down, but they ended up plea bargaining paying $600 million and burying the 136 page document that might have brought much to light and then it opened up the door for things to get even worse.

by Anonymousreply 920 hours ago

Christ this is a rap video made to inspire the pharmaceutical reps to push their evil project. Cute guys though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1020 hours ago

There is nothing "impressive" about Nan Goldin's shamless publicity grab. She's an unremarkable upper-middle class suburban girl who became famous by snapping pictures of her junkie friends/lovers and then using along with them. She made heroin, domestic violence, and self-mutilation glamorous and cool long before the days of Kate Moss and "heroin chic" in the early '90s. The Sacklers didn't get Goldin to use heroin in the '70s and '80s and they didn't convince her to seek out opioids for fake injuries from a pill mill quack (Oxycontin for a painful wrist? really?) and become addicted all over again, nor is it the Sacklers' fault that she used money from selling her art to museums to buy black market pills instead of seeking addiction treatment from a real doctor.

by Anonymousreply 1120 hours ago

Sort of feel bad for the branches of the Sackler family who weren't involved in this and didn't benefit from it. I'd be tempted to change my name if I were in that boat.

by Anonymousreply 1219 hours ago

The Sacklers give a lot of their money to Israel and are very close with the Kushners. Someone should ask Ivanka what she thinks of this wonderful family.

by Anonymousreply 1319 hours ago

Where was the FDA while this was going on?

by Anonymousreply 1419 hours ago

Steal enough money through any scheme, and you can get away with the crime. It’s an incredible phenomenon because the steal gives the criminal money to ingratiate themselves with people, politicians, and institutions.

by Anonymousreply 1518 hours ago

Behind every great fortune there is a great crime.

by Anonymousreply 1618 hours ago

R11, I am sorry Nan and her friends never invited you to their parties.

by Anonymousreply 1718 hours ago

R14 One of them was schooled to write the approval by the company and get the pharmaceuticals clearance, then he went to work for another company for a year and then was hired as a top level Perdue executive.

by Anonymousreply 1818 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!