Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

As we move towards summer: vaccination update poll

Have you had all your vaccinations yet?

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2021 7:53 PM

Not for lack of trying.

I live in Europe, and vaccinations are practically impossible to get here right now. Only the old and high-risk patients have been vaccinated so far.

I managed to get fast-tracked for my first Pfizer BioNtech shot a week ago by massaging a medical condition I have to indicate elevated risk, but I'm still waiting for the second shot. My husband, who has no underlying medical issues, still doesn't have a vaccination date.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2021 10:11 AM

I get my second shot of Moderna next week. The second I get home, I am booking a long weekend out of country at the end of the month. I don't care how long I have to mask up, I just need to get out.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2021 10:18 AM

No. I'm a Millennial. I'm last in line. Will get my first dose in July if I'm lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2021 12:50 PM

Still unvaccinated. And will stay that way until being unvaccinated prevents me from doing what I want.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2021 1:05 PM

R4, Bugs would like a word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2021 1:11 PM

We only have Pfizer and Moderna available and we simply don't have enough of those. That's why the vaccination pace is still slow. 1.5 million Norwegians have been vaccinated with their first dose, out of a population of 5.5 million. Mostly those aged 70+, those in risk groups and health care workers. They now say 18-44 year olds will have their first dose by the end of July, thanks to increasing the interval between doses from 6 to 12 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2021 1:34 PM

6 and 12 weeks? how does that affect efficacy?

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2021 1:37 PM

Any america over the age of 16 who doesn't get a vcxx isn't a friend of mine

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2021 1:38 PM

CA here. Vax'd and updating my Scruff and Grindr profiles.

Vax'd is the new on PReP.

History repeats itself.

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2021 2:00 PM

California here - just had my second Moderna shot yesterday. Didn't feel great yesterday but today is better so far.

I'm seeing vax card requirements at some places now. I tried to get tickets to a baseball game for next week, but we either have to have a new neg covid test (within 48 hours) or have completed the vax cycle (2 weeks past shot).

I was slightly disappointed, but I am 100% behind having a vax card requirement for many public events. Of course stupid anti-social types will generate their own, but I'm hoping that's a small amount.

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote]—No mask. No OCD cleaning. No distancing. No vaccine. No Covid. No worries.

Well you don't know if you're no COVID because many people who get it show zero symptoms.

How do we know you're not the Typhoid Mary of your neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2021 2:05 PM

If you go by the numbers, herd immunity isn't even possible. There's 392 million people in the USA. 90 million under 16, 141 million vaccinated. That leaves 251 million who can't or won't get the vaccination. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2021 2:15 PM

R3- Uh, in SC we can't give the shots away. Schedule someplace like this.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2021 2:16 PM

Today is my two weeks, bitches!

SMELL ME!

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2021 2:19 PM

R13, the nearest to SC in Europe is Serbia, I think.

That's a fair piece from Norway.

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2021 2:22 PM

R7 Not by much. Isn't the effect like 80 % after one dose? The interval is already 6 weeks compared to 3 weeks in the States. As I said, we don't have enough doses avilable. The only chance we had of vaccinating enough people was to increase the interval from 3 to 6 weeks, so that more people will at least get their first dose. The Norwegian health authoraties said increasing it from 3 to 6 weeks didn't impact the efectiveness. And now from 6 to 12 weeks they have reached the same conclusion. It's more important to have more people vaccinated with one dose (effectiveness is like 80 %) vs. fewer with two doses (effectiveness for those not vaccinated is 0 %).

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2021 2:25 PM

R16 - that's how they handled it in the UK and it seems to be reasonably successful there. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2021 2:27 PM

Just goes to show you how arbitrary the world's response has been to this whole vaccine.

I got my Pfizer shots at Walgreens. When I originally made my appointments they were 4 weeks apart because Walgreens didn't know if they'd be giving out Moderna/Pfizer and went with the longer interval. Then the CDC asked them to move Pfizer shots to three week intervals so as to not confuse people.

At first I was concerned about the 4 week interval so I researched it and (at least here in the US) the message is 6 weeks apart is the latest you want to break up any vaccination regardless of manufacturer.

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2021 2:45 PM

J. Michael Straczynski @straczynski Apr 27

Shot #1 mainly activates antibodies, which last about 6 months. Shot #2 is what pisses off the immune system into producing tons of T- and Memory B-Cells, which last years. The fever and discomfort is the factory firing up to create that army. It's a good thing. Get shot #2.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2021 2:46 PM

R15- Ooops. Missed that. That sucks!

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2021 2:48 PM

[quote]How do we know you're not the Typhoid Mary of your neighborhood?

I have shopped, hung out with, and seen the same people for over a year. No one, not the cashiers in the markets and shops that I visit almost daily, not the workmen that have been in my flat, not my neighbors, not the people I hang around with or the people they hang around with, not the dental hygienist I've seen 4 times in the past year. Not one fucking person is or has been sick due to proximity with me.

Your assertion is highly erroneous as well as childish.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2021 3:10 PM

I'm R3. I'm Norwegian. The vaccination is slow here. As in much of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2021 3:25 PM

The rate of appointment requests in LA County has fallen by 50% and they are shutting sites down due to lack of interest. Not a good sign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2021 3:35 PM

OP you do know that a large portion of DL is not in the US and has other vaccine options.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2021 3:38 PM

R23 I don't know if that's a bad sign as much as it is a sign that you can now go to literally most pharmacy chains and easily get one, sometimes even as a walk-in.

My BF had his appointments with a smallish local pharmacy here. Their shipment was late on the day he was to get the second shot, but I was able to get him an appointment within minutes at an alternate site and managed to even stick to his original time.

I think if the high risk people are out of the way, there will be continued steady progress as time goes on from people who were either too afraid, too poor (some literally believe it costs money to get it) or who wanted to do the "Apple second generation" approach - e.g. let me make sure all the bugs have been worked out before I leap in.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2021 4:21 PM

I am really surprised, BTW, at how long it's taking some European countries to get access to vaccines.

The situation in India is heartbreaking - but at the same time, the US really needs to close its borders to flights from India and some other high risk countries before we are infected with an emergent variant from there that kills us all.

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2021 4:23 PM

J&J here!

Yes, I believe in MATH, CUNTS! All vaccines have had side effects. Fuck the media and the anti-vax loons! Jenny McCarthy can suck my hole!

MATH!

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2021 4:24 PM

Have had both Pfizer doses and am 3 weeks past my second shot.

My mother, whom I haven’t been able to hug for 13 months, is coming out to spend this weekend! She had her shots long before I did due to age, so she’s fully vaxxed also. Woo hoo!

Next week for Mother’s Day it’ll be great!

by Anonymousreply 28April 30, 2021 4:48 PM

Won't someone, for the love of all that is holy, please SHIT IN MY MOUTH???!????

by Anonymousreply 29April 30, 2021 5:28 PM

even my Dr. agreed with me that holding the general populace back for so long so as to carefully introduce "equity " into the equation ultimately killed the natural flow of progress and momentum into the giving out of the vaccine. I had to wait for even the homeless to get shot before i could even begin the process in my state.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2021 5:55 PM

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2021 3:03 AM

R21- You get your teef cleaned 4x a year?

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2021 8:01 PM

American here. Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday!🙌 No side effects with either shot other than a sore arm each time.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] If you go by the numbers, herd immunity isn't even possible. There's 392 million people in the USA. 90 million under 16, 141 million vaccinated. That leaves 251 million who can't or won't get the vaccination. Hmm.

And what percentage do you consider necessary for herd immunity? And why aren’t you counting those who have natural immunity from past infection? Everyone considers the previously infected as part of the herd immunity equation.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2021 8:26 PM

Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible: Even with vaccination efforts in full force, the theoretical threshold for vanquishing COVID-19 looks to be out of reach.

Long-term prospects for the pandemic probably include COVID-19 becoming an endemic disease, much like influenza. But in the near term, scientists are contemplating a new normal that does not include herd immunity. Here are some of the reasons behind this mindset, and what they mean for the next year of the pandemic.

Five Reasons:

1. It’s unclear whether vaccines prevent transmission 2. Vaccine roll-out is uneven 3. New variants change the herd-immunity equation 4. Immunity might not last forever 5. Vaccines might change human behaviour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2021 9:39 PM

Would love to get vaccinated, have yet to receive my INVITATION by mail. Yes, really. That’s how it works here...

AstraZeneca is freely available, though, no invitation needed. Bit on the fence if I should go with that one..

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2021 10:45 PM

R6 - I know. My roommate's ex is an engineer in Stavanger and he came to flipping Romania to get his vax. As he's working remotely for now, he figured at 42, with the amount ordered in April he has a better chance here. Went to a drive through at the county hospital and got the first Pfizer shot. At this point he is amazed how slowly things are moving along in Germany, Norway and a few other nations. Says he would rather work here for the time between the first and second jab though clearly, there are far more idiots who don't respect distancing, masking, etc. than in Norway or Germany.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2021 11:14 PM

My 2nd dose of Moderna laid me low for days. Fatigue, headache, dizziness, some diarrhea, upper arm ache. Very flu-like symptoms, but my temp kept testing under 98*.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2021 11:43 PM

been laying about all day after 2nd Pfizer yesterday. Not fluey, but that feeling you get when you know something is coming on!

by Anonymousreply 39May 2, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote] Five Reasons: 1. It’s unclear whether vaccines prevent transmission

Right away, I can tell that Nature article is outdated.

by Anonymousreply 40May 2, 2021 5:00 AM

It's definitely better than not getting vaccinated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2021 5:26 AM

Still sane, still not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2021 5:34 AM

Can those of you with time and money who are in the EU and can't get the vax maybe look into Serbia or Romania? This last week, here in the city I live in was slow in the supermarkets considering it was the week of Easter. Turns out that the Romanian government ordered a shitload of Pfizer and nobody is waiting anymore as they made the sports centers drive-through vaccination sites. Since many don't have a car, they are allowing people to get an Uber or a cab and drive through. Same is happening in various parts of Serbia. I think you just need to present a negative COVID test and take another upon arrival. My roommate had to have a COVID test before a colonoscopy and said it was full of locals who were working in Germany and came back for the Pfizer at the testing site. Since they are in quarantine nurses were keeping them in another section of the clinic but she saw them through the window. Hundreds got the vax this last week. Said it's almost impossible in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2021 10:17 AM

It's clear most here in San Francisco have gotten one, if not both, of their doses. In literally a month the amount of foot and car traffic has quadrupled-dupled.

People seem pleasant though, I think they forgot how nice human interaction was. Let's see how long that lasts.

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote] the amount of foot and car traffic has quadrupled-dupled.

Say what now?

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2021 4:58 PM

I had my first round on Saturday. I got Moderna. Got it done at CVS. I didn’t even feel the prick (hee hee hee) but my arm was real sore yesterday and I felt nauseous most of the day yesterday but feel fine today, I get my second round on the 29th and am kind of dreading it,

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2021 5:08 PM

I've had two jabs of Pfizer.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2021 5:24 PM

Considering the average age here is 80, I’m surprised how low the numbers are !

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2021 5:44 PM

R48 - but they look 60 years younger bitch!

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2021 8:05 PM

R37 We've had several setbacks here. First AstraZeneca was stopped then the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. This means we are left with Pfizer and Moderna and we don't have enough doses of those. Blame the shitty deal our government made with the EU. I'm in the last group to get vaccinated. If I'm lucky I'll get mine by the end of August. I'll have anothrr summer ruined. We have an election in September. Guess who won't get my vote :)

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2021 5:50 PM

It's your government's decision to stop AZ and J&J although, from what I understand, J&J has not been stopped yet.

Isn't it the case that your neighbour Denmark has stopped using AZ and J&J in the regular vaccination programme but you can ask for them if you wish and so get vaccinated earlier? If something similar is happening in Norway, then you can ask to be vaccinated with J&J (don't bother with AZ) now.

by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2021 6:08 PM

Got my first Moderna a few days ago. Nothing but a sore arm for a couple of days. Second dose in early June, thankfully, as I need to be able to travel for family reasons.

by Anonymousreply 52May 12, 2021 6:09 PM

R43, just so you know, Romania is in the EU. Germany is administering about a million doses a day.

by Anonymousreply 53May 12, 2021 6:11 PM

R53 - I know it's in the EU. I sure hope by end of summer we can have as many immunized as possible. I wonder if Germany will require a proof of vaccination to travel there.

by Anonymousreply 54May 12, 2021 6:57 PM

Considering the EU is developing a so-called "vaccine passport", I suspect you'll be able to travel to Germany just as you would to any other country in the EU - with either proof of vaccination, or a negative PCR test or proof of having had Covid in the past few months. This is similar to what countries like Israel are doing and will probably be the international standard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 12, 2021 7:18 PM

Was in CVS and my local supermarket yesterday (blue state). Both had signs saying, vaccine available, no appointment necessary. Nobody was in line. Kids are eligible now.

Very different from two months ago when the appointment signup websites were crashing and people were driving 30 miles to queue up.

I have no idea if Europeans can just fly to the US now (heck, I don’t even know if movie theatres or the malls are open) but if you have the $$ for an airline ticket and can stay for the interim period, it’s worth a try.

by Anonymousreply 56May 12, 2021 7:19 PM

R55 - you are right. Sadly, Tel Aviv and those IDF studs will have to wait.

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2021 7:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!