Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FDA to propose ban on menthol-flavored cigarettes

The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it will propose a ban on menthol-flavored cigarettes in the United States, which would be a huge blow for future cigarette sale.

Menthol is the last allowable flavor for cigarettes. According to the FDA, menthol cigarettes have been disproportionately been used by youth, people of color and low-income communities. The vast majority of Black smokers favor menthol cigarette brands, and Black men currently have the highest rates of lung cancer in the country.

“With these actions, the FDA will help significantly reduce youth initiation, increase the chances of smoking cessation among current smokers, and address health disparities experienced by communities of color, low-income populations, and LGBTQ+ individuals, all of whom are far more likely to use these tobacco products,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, in a press release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2021

The proposal is likely to be challenged by the industry. Menthol cigarettes make up about a third of all cigarettes sold in the U.S. The leading brands are Newport, which is owned by British American Tobacco’s R.J. Reynolds, and Kool, which is owned by Imperial Tobacco’s ITG Brands.

“We share the common goal of moving adult smokers from cigarettes to potentially less harmful alternatives, but prohibition does not work,” said Altria in a statement. “Criminalizing menthol will lead to serious unintended consequences.”

Reynolds wasn’t immediately available for comment.

If implemented, the proposal would be a huge win for anti-tobacco advocates who have long seen flavored cigarettes as a way for consumers to be introduced to smoking.

by Anonymousreply 104/29/2021

Miss me yet?

by Anonymousreply 204/29/2021

No. Stay away.

by Anonymousreply 304/29/2021

I always changed to menthol cigarettes when I caught a cold. They helped ease my congestion.

by Anonymousreply 404/29/2021

Can the adults please smoke?

by Anonymousreply 504/29/2021

R4 Sounds wonderful! I’ll have to try while I can. 🚬

by Anonymousreply 604/29/2021

r4 I used to do that too. I was a Marlboro Red smoker, but would switch to Marlboro Menthol when I had a cold. I swear it helped! I never smoked menthol otherwise.

Apparently, menthols are appealing to kids so that's a major reason why the FDA wants a ban. Times must've changed because when I was a teenager nobody I knew smoked menthol. In my high school, it was almost 100% Marlboro Reds or Lights, and a few Camel smokers. Menthols were mocked as "old lady cigarettes."

by Anonymousreply 704/29/2021

1940 commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 804/29/2021

Prohibition doesn't stop behavior, it just creates black markets and increases disrespect for the rule of law. Focus efforts on persuading people to avoid harmful habits -- peer pressure works better with adolescents than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 904/29/2021

There's already a ban on flavored cigarettes and at the time they excluded menthol. Now they're just including them as flavored in the already-existing ban.

Pretty sure we have other threads on this already, right?

by Anonymousreply 1004/29/2021

I understand banning smoking from public places due to the dangers of second-hand smoke. But I also believe that grown adults should have the right to smoke tobacco in the privacy of their homes or outside away from other people. I feel the same way about marijuana, which also should be legal but not in public places due to second-hand smoke concerns. I mean, it's legal to drink alcohol, take pills, drink soda, eat junk food, work in dangerous settings, buy toxic chemicals, drive cars, etc. There's so many legal ways to harm yourself intentionally or not. I don't even know why tobacco is being targeted anymore, smoking rates have decreased due to anti-smoking efforts.

by Anonymousreply 1104/29/2021

I am always amused that they target the cigarette companies and those that smoke. They never go after those that drink. They keep passing laws to make marijuana legal but NO to cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 1204/29/2021

R12 Exactly and plus most people today know smoking is bad for your lungs and health. It was very different in the 40s and 50s when you had advertising that promoted the "health benefits" of cigarettes. Alcohol is the most deadliest drug there is because it can make you violent and impulsive. Look at all the lives lost caused by drunk drivers, bar fights, drunken spouses, etc. Alcohol addiction is far more lethal than nicotine addiction. Most smokers can quit easily in a day or two. But alcoholics can die if they quit drinking cold turkey. Also, marijuana does have some side effects too like paranoia and anxiety and smoking it is still terrible for your lungs.

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2021

I don't understand how there can be a push to legalize marijuana and ban cigarettes? We live in bizarro world.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2021

There really aren't that many smokers any more.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2021

[quote]but not in public places due to second-hand smoke concerns.

I would never want to see a return to smoking in bars, restaurants etc. but I have to say I have never known anyone who died from secondhand smoke. If secondhand smoke were as deadly as it's supposed to be, 2/3rds of my parents' and grandparents' generations would've dropped dead from it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2021

Buy ‘em up, yo! We’ll be rich.

by Anonymousreply 1704/29/2021

The beautiful people smoke Silva Thins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1804/29/2021

Marijuana does not cause cancer and lung disease. Most people can use alcohol without becoming addicted.

by Anonymousreply 1904/29/2021

Lots of people smoke cigarettes without becoming addicts. How many social smokers has everybody known?

by Anonymousreply 2004/29/2021

r19 how do you know? I would think that smoking anything would damage your lungs.

r20 Most people who smoke become addicted to it. Almost everyone I knew growing up and as an adult smoked and only one of them quit and seemed to have no after affects.

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2021

r21 there are TONS of people who smoke off and on. Just like a lot of people can drink and don't turn into alcoholics. Or are recreational coke users.

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2021

I won’t be surprised if cigarettes are banned completely sometime in the next 15 years or so.

I’m glad I have fond memories of smoking from my youth, but the world has just been moving on from smoking for a while now. It’s completely unhealthy and has no benefit to society. It will go away at some point sooner than you think.

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2021

[quote] how do you know?

Science.

by Anonymousreply 2404/29/2021

Nicotine is powerfully addictive. THC is not.

by Anonymousreply 2504/29/2021

Inhaling ANY smoke is bad for you. That’s science.

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2021

What’s the difference between minty vape and menthol cigarettes? If people want minty tobacco, they can also get chewing tobacco.

Kind of a pointless ban, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2021

Nicotine is very addictive but I do know people who willed themselves to quit smoking cold turkey. Like people who ended up going to the hospital for medical concerns or women who get pregnant. Alcoholics, on the other hand, cannot do that because the withdrawal can kill them.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2021

[quote] Inhaling ANY smoke is bad for you. That’s science.

Perhaps,, but there is no tar or carcinogens in weed, so it does not cause any of the diseases caused by smoking.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2021

[quote]It will go away at some point sooner than you think.

And with it the huge tax money that it generates.

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2021

R30 I have to think though that it’s still a net negative when you think of all the public health spending on tobacco related diseases.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2021

Smokers die younger, they don't hang around for years of dementia/Alzheimer's care and nursing homes, social security benefits and pensions.

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2021

Looks like this is really happening.

by Anonymousreply 3304/30/2021

This has me very concerned for Dionne Warwick.

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2021

Obesity has been going up since smoking has been going down.

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2021

The main people who smoke menthols are black. This is winning them over by Dems.

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2021

What will be the new evil after they get rid of cigarettes? Alcohol is much worse, where we shame even an occasional cigarette, we openly encourage alcoholism in American society. The world was a better place when anyone who was pissed off would step out for a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2021

The one thing they won’t ban is expensive cigars since they’re mainly smoked by wealthy white men. When Beverly Hills banned smoking, the one exception was the Cigar Club that Arnold Schwarzenegger was a member. Fuck these people who try to tell people how to live in their own homes.

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2021

People used to want nicotine for the dopamine rush, now they get the same thing from endlessly posting to social media to the point of burning out their dopamine receptors.

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2021

True r38. You never hear shit about cigars because rich white guys love them. Personally, I find cigar smoke intolerable, I cannot stand it. Imho it's much worse than cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2021

Fuck cigarettes and fuck everyone that smokes them.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2021

[quote] I don't understand how there can be a push to legalize marijuana and ban cigarettes? We live in bizarro world.

Cigarettes contain deadly chemicals that cause cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2021

[quote]If secondhand smoke were as deadly as it's supposed to be, 2/3rds of my parents' and grandparents' generations would've dropped dead from it.

Did they die of cancer? It could have caused it. Cigarettes destroy not only lungs but heart, pancreas, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2021

So many brainwashed zombies who drone on about cigarettes, but they sit at home smoking joints and drinking gallons of vodka, so they can wake up at 2pm and have chronic diarrhea, then go grab a Monster energy drink and some Jack In The Box before starting all over again. While smokers are up at 7am with a cup of coffee ready to start the day. I worked for two decades in management and people would complain about smokers taking breaks but they busted their ass harder than most other employees. The Fraus who were hyped up on coffee all day could barely get opening an envelope right because they spent most of their day gossiping and complaining about people like the smokers. Do I want it back in movie theaters and restaurants, no, but we’re getting into 1984 territory by beginning to ban it.

by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2021

R43 have another drink.

by Anonymousreply 4505/04/2021

Cigarettes were the original SJW target. People completely unaffected by something that someone else was doing going on a persecution rally against it.

by Anonymousreply 4605/04/2021

R20 and R22, I smoke only when I’m visiting one of my two brothers which is about once a year. I buy a pack and drink and smoke like I’m young again. It’s very liberating and in 15+ years since “quitting “ I can completely separate it from my “regular” (high stress, high obligation) life.

by Anonymousreply 4705/04/2021

The menthol ban is cruel. Dionne Warwick is 80 years old, let her have her Virginia Slims Menthols! She's not hurting anybody.

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2021

One of my great grandmothers smoked unfiltered Pall Malls like a chimney and died of natural causes at age 91.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2021

I started smoking very young (like 14) and did smoke menthols. I never thought of menthol as a kids' flavor, but I guess it is. (Most of my young friends smoked menthols as well.) Binaca breath spray and drops were popular back then. IIRC, you could drip a couple of drops of Binaca on your cigarette filter to make it taste mintier.

To top it off, some of those menthol cigarettes were extra-long (Benson & Hedges, Virginia Slims), so it felt like you were getting more for your money.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2021

r50 what era was this, and what region of the country? I was a teen in CT in the early-mid 90s and it was all Marlboro with us. Nobody smoked menthols, they were not cool to smoke at all lol!

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2021

stealth racist thread

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2021

Nope r52. Menthols are popular with whites too.

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2021

Let 'em.

I have my own way to mentholize my Kools if the assholes ban it.

No one is taking my vocal medicine. Unh-uh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2021

I've been hearing about banning menthols for at least 30 years now.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!