Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FDA to propose ban on menthol-flavored cigarettes

The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it will propose a ban on menthol-flavored cigarettes in the United States, which would be a huge blow for future cigarette sale.

Menthol is the last allowable flavor for cigarettes. According to the FDA, menthol cigarettes have been disproportionately been used by youth, people of color and low-income communities. The vast majority of Black smokers favor menthol cigarette brands, and Black men currently have the highest rates of lung cancer in the country.

“With these actions, the FDA will help significantly reduce youth initiation, increase the chances of smoking cessation among current smokers, and address health disparities experienced by communities of color, low-income populations, and LGBTQ+ individuals, all of whom are far more likely to use these tobacco products,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, in a press release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2021 1:09 AM

The proposal is likely to be challenged by the industry. Menthol cigarettes make up about a third of all cigarettes sold in the U.S. The leading brands are Newport, which is owned by British American Tobacco’s R.J. Reynolds, and Kool, which is owned by Imperial Tobacco’s ITG Brands.

“We share the common goal of moving adult smokers from cigarettes to potentially less harmful alternatives, but prohibition does not work,” said Altria in a statement. “Criminalizing menthol will lead to serious unintended consequences.”

Reynolds wasn’t immediately available for comment.

If implemented, the proposal would be a huge win for anti-tobacco advocates who have long seen flavored cigarettes as a way for consumers to be introduced to smoking.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2021 2:46 PM

Miss me yet?

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2021 2:49 PM

No. Stay away.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2021 2:51 PM

I always changed to menthol cigarettes when I caught a cold. They helped ease my congestion.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Can the adults please smoke?

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2021 2:56 PM

R4 Sounds wonderful! I’ll have to try while I can. 🚬

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2021 2:57 PM

r4 I used to do that too. I was a Marlboro Red smoker, but would switch to Marlboro Menthol when I had a cold. I swear it helped! I never smoked menthol otherwise.

Apparently, menthols are appealing to kids so that's a major reason why the FDA wants a ban. Times must've changed because when I was a teenager nobody I knew smoked menthol. In my high school, it was almost 100% Marlboro Reds or Lights, and a few Camel smokers. Menthols were mocked as "old lady cigarettes."

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2021 3:03 PM

1940 commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2021 3:04 PM

Prohibition doesn't stop behavior, it just creates black markets and increases disrespect for the rule of law. Focus efforts on persuading people to avoid harmful habits -- peer pressure works better with adolescents than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2021 3:29 PM

There's already a ban on flavored cigarettes and at the time they excluded menthol. Now they're just including them as flavored in the already-existing ban.

Pretty sure we have other threads on this already, right?

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2021 3:35 PM

I understand banning smoking from public places due to the dangers of second-hand smoke. But I also believe that grown adults should have the right to smoke tobacco in the privacy of their homes or outside away from other people. I feel the same way about marijuana, which also should be legal but not in public places due to second-hand smoke concerns. I mean, it's legal to drink alcohol, take pills, drink soda, eat junk food, work in dangerous settings, buy toxic chemicals, drive cars, etc. There's so many legal ways to harm yourself intentionally or not. I don't even know why tobacco is being targeted anymore, smoking rates have decreased due to anti-smoking efforts.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2021 3:40 PM

I am always amused that they target the cigarette companies and those that smoke. They never go after those that drink. They keep passing laws to make marijuana legal but NO to cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2021 3:41 PM

R12 Exactly and plus most people today know smoking is bad for your lungs and health. It was very different in the 40s and 50s when you had advertising that promoted the "health benefits" of cigarettes. Alcohol is the most deadliest drug there is because it can make you violent and impulsive. Look at all the lives lost caused by drunk drivers, bar fights, drunken spouses, etc. Alcohol addiction is far more lethal than nicotine addiction. Most smokers can quit easily in a day or two. But alcoholics can die if they quit drinking cold turkey. Also, marijuana does have some side effects too like paranoia and anxiety and smoking it is still terrible for your lungs.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2021 3:47 PM

I don't understand how there can be a push to legalize marijuana and ban cigarettes? We live in bizarro world.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2021 3:56 PM

There really aren't that many smokers any more.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote]but not in public places due to second-hand smoke concerns.

I would never want to see a return to smoking in bars, restaurants etc. but I have to say I have never known anyone who died from secondhand smoke. If secondhand smoke were as deadly as it's supposed to be, 2/3rds of my parents' and grandparents' generations would've dropped dead from it.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2021 3:59 PM

Buy ‘em up, yo! We’ll be rich.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2021 4:00 PM

The beautiful people smoke Silva Thins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2021 4:05 PM

Marijuana does not cause cancer and lung disease. Most people can use alcohol without becoming addicted.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2021 4:06 PM

Lots of people smoke cigarettes without becoming addicts. How many social smokers has everybody known?

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2021 4:07 PM

r19 how do you know? I would think that smoking anything would damage your lungs.

r20 Most people who smoke become addicted to it. Almost everyone I knew growing up and as an adult smoked and only one of them quit and seemed to have no after affects.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2021 4:11 PM

r21 there are TONS of people who smoke off and on. Just like a lot of people can drink and don't turn into alcoholics. Or are recreational coke users.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2021 4:12 PM

I won’t be surprised if cigarettes are banned completely sometime in the next 15 years or so.

I’m glad I have fond memories of smoking from my youth, but the world has just been moving on from smoking for a while now. It’s completely unhealthy and has no benefit to society. It will go away at some point sooner than you think.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote] how do you know?

Science.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2021 4:14 PM

Nicotine is powerfully addictive. THC is not.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2021 4:15 PM

Inhaling ANY smoke is bad for you. That’s science.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2021 4:18 PM

What’s the difference between minty vape and menthol cigarettes? If people want minty tobacco, they can also get chewing tobacco.

Kind of a pointless ban, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2021 4:20 PM

Nicotine is very addictive but I do know people who willed themselves to quit smoking cold turkey. Like people who ended up going to the hospital for medical concerns or women who get pregnant. Alcoholics, on the other hand, cannot do that because the withdrawal can kill them.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote] Inhaling ANY smoke is bad for you. That’s science.

Perhaps,, but there is no tar or carcinogens in weed, so it does not cause any of the diseases caused by smoking.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]It will go away at some point sooner than you think.

And with it the huge tax money that it generates.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2021 5:56 PM

R30 I have to think though that it’s still a net negative when you think of all the public health spending on tobacco related diseases.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2021 7:55 PM

Smokers die younger, they don't hang around for years of dementia/Alzheimer's care and nursing homes, social security benefits and pensions.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2021 8:44 PM

Looks like this is really happening.

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2021 3:11 PM

This has me very concerned for Dionne Warwick.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 8:15 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2021 8:17 PM

The main people who smoke menthols are black. This is winning them over by Dems.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2021 8:55 PM

What will be the new evil after they get rid of cigarettes? Alcohol is much worse, where we shame even an occasional cigarette, we openly encourage alcoholism in American society. The world was a better place when anyone who was pissed off would step out for a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 8:58 PM

The one thing they won’t ban is expensive cigars since they’re mainly smoked by wealthy white men. When Beverly Hills banned smoking, the one exception was the Cigar Club that Arnold Schwarzenegger was a member. Fuck these people who try to tell people how to live in their own homes.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 9:00 PM

People used to want nicotine for the dopamine rush, now they get the same thing from endlessly posting to social media to the point of burning out their dopamine receptors.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 9:04 PM

True r38. You never hear shit about cigars because rich white guys love them. Personally, I find cigar smoke intolerable, I cannot stand it. Imho it's much worse than cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 9:04 PM

Fuck cigarettes and fuck everyone that smokes them.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] I don't understand how there can be a push to legalize marijuana and ban cigarettes? We live in bizarro world.

Cigarettes contain deadly chemicals that cause cancer.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote]If secondhand smoke were as deadly as it's supposed to be, 2/3rds of my parents' and grandparents' generations would've dropped dead from it.

Did they die of cancer? It could have caused it. Cigarettes destroy not only lungs but heart, pancreas, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 9:17 PM

So many brainwashed zombies who drone on about cigarettes, but they sit at home smoking joints and drinking gallons of vodka, so they can wake up at 2pm and have chronic diarrhea, then go grab a Monster energy drink and some Jack In The Box before starting all over again. While smokers are up at 7am with a cup of coffee ready to start the day. I worked for two decades in management and people would complain about smokers taking breaks but they busted their ass harder than most other employees. The Fraus who were hyped up on coffee all day could barely get opening an envelope right because they spent most of their day gossiping and complaining about people like the smokers. Do I want it back in movie theaters and restaurants, no, but we’re getting into 1984 territory by beginning to ban it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 9:23 PM

R43 have another drink.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2021 9:23 PM

Cigarettes were the original SJW target. People completely unaffected by something that someone else was doing going on a persecution rally against it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2021 9:24 PM

R20 and R22, I smoke only when I’m visiting one of my two brothers which is about once a year. I buy a pack and drink and smoke like I’m young again. It’s very liberating and in 15+ years since “quitting “ I can completely separate it from my “regular” (high stress, high obligation) life.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2021 10:28 PM

The menthol ban is cruel. Dionne Warwick is 80 years old, let her have her Virginia Slims Menthols! She's not hurting anybody.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 12:12 AM

One of my great grandmothers smoked unfiltered Pall Malls like a chimney and died of natural causes at age 91.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 12:13 AM

I started smoking very young (like 14) and did smoke menthols. I never thought of menthol as a kids' flavor, but I guess it is. (Most of my young friends smoked menthols as well.) Binaca breath spray and drops were popular back then. IIRC, you could drip a couple of drops of Binaca on your cigarette filter to make it taste mintier.

To top it off, some of those menthol cigarettes were extra-long (Benson & Hedges, Virginia Slims), so it felt like you were getting more for your money.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 12:19 AM

r50 what era was this, and what region of the country? I was a teen in CT in the early-mid 90s and it was all Marlboro with us. Nobody smoked menthols, they were not cool to smoke at all lol!

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 1:07 AM

stealth racist thread

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 1:12 AM

Nope r52. Menthols are popular with whites too.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 1:27 AM

Let 'em.

I have my own way to mentholize my Kools if the assholes ban it.

No one is taking my vocal medicine. Unh-uh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 1:32 AM

I've been hearing about banning menthols for at least 30 years now.

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 1:33 AM

So now cigarettes are racist. Jesus Fucking Christ the Left are ridiculous. I’ve never once seen a commercial for menthol cigarettes or any sort of branding or anything else directly targeting black Americans to smoke menthol. It’s a preference, black people just prefer menthols. A lot of whites and Hispanics smoke menthols too. And the notion it would help quell smoking and help people quit is immediately debunked by the fact 80 percent of people just switched brands. Sounds like a failure to me.

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2021 3:54 AM

So..... Whites can still smoke and die, but black people will be told their brand will be banned? So the black people who smoke menthol matter more than the whites who are free to continue die and must have their free choice taken away? This new world really depresses me. It also pisses me off. The new hypocrisy era. Land of the no longer free. Buckle up. It's going to be a bumpy night.

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2021 4:12 AM

[quote] So now cigarettes are racist. Jesus Fucking Christ the Left are ridiculous. I’ve never once seen a commercial for menthol cigarettes or any sort of branding or anything else directly targeting black Americans to smoke menthol. It’s a preference, black people just prefer menthols. A lot of whites and Hispanics smoke menthols too. And the notion it would help quell smoking and help people quit is immediately debunked by the fact 80 percent of people just switched brands. Sounds like a failure to me.

Shut your fucking mouth, R56. You are a troll and your faux outrage is not remotely believable.

by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2021 4:14 AM

I'm not that old, well, I am sort of, and I still recall the extreme relaxation and intense pleasure sitting watching movies at the old Regency Theater on 67th and Broadway, or Loew's State in Times Square where one could sit in the designated smoking sections and enjoy a fresh pack of Marlboros and a KitKat while enjoying the show. It was heaven.

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2021 4:17 AM

It confuses me. Menthols are no more harmful than non-menthol. They can and will just switch brands.

by Anonymousreply 60June 8, 2021 4:17 AM

r58 you know nothing about me and your own ignorance is on full display.

by Anonymousreply 61June 8, 2021 4:18 AM

This seems analogous to laws banning alcohol that tastes good, because people like to drink them more. Where is the ban on flavored rum and vodka?

Originally, we were told this ban was pushed because black people were more into menthol cigarettes, and it was racist marketing which needed to be stopped. But now, perhaps because people pointed out it was patronizing and insulting for the Left to ban things precisely because black people like them, we are being told this is to protect minors. Interesting pivot.

On the racial justice angle – YES, FDA does not enforce the laws against individuals – or, it is PROMISING not to – and, as long as we live in a world where bureaucracies do not stray from their original purpose or goals – the personnel never change- or if they do, are replaced by people with exactly the same views – and so on – then that is likely true.

But, seems to me, in this world, a guy who was suspected of selling cigarettes illegally got killed by the cops in New York City – I do not say the cops were to blame, I never followed the case, but it seems very likely he would not have died except for cigarette law enforcement. Will we see a black market in menthol? If so, I predict some non-white people are going to be involved and there will be police action against them – and I believe FDA knows that.

My main objection is, this should not be a decision made by FDA at all – allowing them broad leeway to regulate “drugs” which have been socially accepted and not recognized as a law enforcement issue for centuries is bad enough, but in this case – where one slightly different form of such a drug will be completely forbidden – while another goes on untouched – gives far too much power to a bureaucracy – and it is anti-democratic.

Clearly, Biden, as one of his duties as The Great White Savior, planned to ban these products to protect easily manipulated children, before the election, and, in a well functioning democracy, that should have been reported as part of his platform by the media, before menthol tobacco product users voted. That is the democracy – you tell people what you intend to do, if they like it, they vote for you.

But, failing that, and Biden is not the first person to hide and lie about his intentions -then before a big change, the people should be able to force a vote.

I do not care much about menthol flavored cigarettes, likely most people do not – but all these same principles apply to Biden’s program to get several million people into the US illegally, as fast as possible. That upsets me.

by Anonymousreply 62June 8, 2021 4:21 AM

[quote] you know nothing about me and your own ignorance is on full display.

Karen, you dont belong here. Stop acting like you do. Your daughter is upstairs cutting herself. Again.

You are going to let your daughter die while you selfishly troll a cigarette thread.

Murderer.

by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Forget the ban, can we instead have a law permitting the punching in the face of anyone who starts vaping in public?

by Anonymousreply 64June 8, 2021 4:32 AM

What a weirdo r63 is.

by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2021 4:37 AM

God! It seems an age ago when most of my gay friends smoked Marlboro or Marlboro Lights. Now I'm hard pressed to think of any of my friends that smoke nowadays. Most have quit. One vapes.

It's just so expensive and anti-social now. When I looked the other day I saw a packet of 20 Marlboro cost £12.33 or $17.50 here in the UK. I couldn't believe how expensive they are now.

Still, at least I can thank them for turning to milk two of my cunts of ex-boyfriends. One is early 50s and he looks like a 75 year old. Smoked like a chimney.

by Anonymousreply 66June 8, 2021 4:44 AM

What do they taste like?

by Anonymousreply 67June 8, 2021 4:56 AM

In NY people still smoke, but of course you have to do it in the street and cigs are expensive. Most people I know who still smoke are not regular smokers, it's a "going out for the night" kind of thing, or if they're really stressed about something.

by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2021 5:06 AM

It’s been a while since the anti-smoking troll was invoked. Arise from the dead.

by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2021 11:13 AM

Smoking is the badest fore hearts but if you ban flavorized cigarettes you should also then allow menthols to not be.

by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2021 11:57 AM

amazing. as we legalize marijuana which I guess does not harm the lungs in anyway, they are going to make themselves feel better by banning a certain kind of cigarette. I guess the tobacco industry must have pissed off the Republicans at some point which is the only reason we are seeing any of this. The NRA is still funding the Repubs so we have no gun control. When are they going to start banning certain kinds of alcohol? I guess they support the Repubs too.

by Anonymousreply 71June 8, 2021 12:10 PM

I personally would be happy to see all smoking banned outright as I hate it, but I don't think it's fair to ban just menthol ones - although I guess anything that forces people to quit is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2021 1:48 PM

If they ban menthols, how will people in urban areas freshen their breath?

by Anonymousreply 73June 8, 2021 1:54 PM

"amazing. as we legalize marijuana which I guess does not harm the lungs in anyway,"

One word, r71....edibles

by Anonymousreply 74June 8, 2021 1:55 PM

That’s Racist!!

by Anonymousreply 75June 8, 2021 1:56 PM

R75 beat me to it!

by Anonymousreply 76June 8, 2021 1:59 PM

Washington DC just banned menthol:

[quote]Menthol’s persistence has infuriated anti-smoking advocates, who point to research that the flavor’s numbing effect masks the harshness of smoking, likely making it easier to start and harder to quit. The mint-flavored cigarettes are overwhelmingly used by young people and minorities, particularly Black smokers, 85% of whom smoke menthols. That compares to about a third of white smokers.

[quote]For decades, companies focused menthol marketing and promotions on Black communities, including sponsoring music festivals and neighborhood events. Company documents released via 1990s litigation show companies viewed menthol cigarettes as good “starter” products because they were more palatable for teenagers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2021 7:07 PM

I keep hearing the "menthols are attractive to young people" narrative and I guess times must've changed because when I was a teenager in the 90s nobody in my age group smoked menthol. At my high school it was almost 100% Marlboro - both Reds and Lights. That was all anybody smoked.

by Anonymousreply 78July 25, 2021 7:13 PM

Every morning I'd stop at the deli on Houston Street and get a pack of Benson & Hedges Ultra Light Menthol 100's DeLuxe. Ahhhh the good old days.

If I was standing on the street smoking, people would ask if they could bum one and 99% of the time when I say they are menthol, they'd say oh OK thanks anyway.

by Anonymousreply 79July 25, 2021 7:25 PM

Circa late 90s in my high schools in America and Germany, both of which had student smoking areas, the boys smoked regular cigarettes and the girls smoked menthols. Because of my southern American upbringing and the demographics, this is purely an observation of Caucasian behavior. I’m not really sure why the black students in my American high school didn’t smoke, or at least with us. Perhaps they did and I wasn’t even aware of where they chose to light up. I get the impression that American blacks prefer menthol cigarettes but that is mostly supported by my smoker grandmother and Dave Chapelle and not real experience.

It is a nasty habit, in which I spent a majority of my life wasted. Smoking alone at home is fine but smoking in public both alienates you from the whole group and associates you with people based solely on a shared addiction.

I will say that smoking is a great democratizer, at least after the prohibition on smoking indoors came into effect. The rich and the poor, all standing huddled. I have met and enjoyed so many people with whom I would have never made the acquaintance except for being an outcast smoker.

It’s bad for you, and in the day in which no one of any intelligence or class smokes, at least openly, it has become a lower-class marker, like plastic on lamp shades and wicker indoors.

by Anonymousreply 80July 25, 2021 7:30 PM

I haven't seen Benson & Hedges in ages, I don't think they're made anymore.

by Anonymousreply 81July 25, 2021 7:32 PM

I love these paternalistic, racist approaches to "communities of color"!

by Anonymousreply 82July 25, 2021 7:37 PM

Consolidation was first started in the American tobacco industry. They are certainly still made, but only sold in small quantities a few by grocery stores and tobacconists at double the cost of Marlboros etc to a ever dwindling but loyal customers base.

The main difference being of course a change in paper and filter length. Everything else is the same.

by Anonymousreply 83July 25, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]It’s bad for you, and in the day in which no one of any intelligence or class smokes, at least openly, it has become a lower-class marker, like plastic on lamp shades and wicker indoors.

In NYC there is still a fair amount of smoking among people in higher socioeconomic circles.

by Anonymousreply 84July 25, 2021 7:42 PM

r83 if you're talking about Benson and Hedges I haven't seen them in years, even in tobacco shops.

by Anonymousreply 85July 25, 2021 7:44 PM

These attempts to control our behavior is communism.

Besides smoking in French new wave black and white films from the 50s to the early 60s is about the coolest most glamorous thing ever and it cost so little(at the time) to look like the ultimate in sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 86July 25, 2021 7:44 PM

So a product that is mildly altered is now illegal but the other product is still perfectly legal. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 87July 25, 2021 7:46 PM

R85, they still make them and sell them at the Harris Teeter up the street from me. Promise!

by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2021 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!