Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix’s “Shadow and Bone” Reviews

It’s a hit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2022 3:28 AM

Since I’m recovering from my second Moderna injection yesterday, I binge watched the entire 8 episodes today. The show was obviously aimed at socially retarded 15 year old girls. However, it does have an attractive cast and gorgeous costumes. A main character is gay and we get see him shag a hot stable boy. Two other secondary characters are a older gay male couple. And there’s this black dyke who only has a couple of lines. A couple of scenes of shirtless guys, and the 6’5” is an absolute 10. It also features Ben Barnes, who is gay gay gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2021 2:54 AM

I’m a big ole ‘mo, but I wanted the big Fjerdan to plow the heartrender chick on their way back to civilization.

Jesper was pretty cute but the actor has a crazy way-back hairline. It was nice to have him fuck the cute stable boy. I wish hot guys just wanted to fuck when I looked at them. I was/am still hoping for a backstory where he hooked up with Kaz occasionally. And the heartrender couple was super cute at the party. I think the friendly one is gonna change, cuz I think they killed the mean one on the skiff.

Freddy Carter/Kaz has incredible facial features (thick brows, big eyes, thin but lovely lips), although he’s sometimes hot and sometimes kinda gross looking lol. His big brother Tom Austen also has the incredible brows, but more traditionally-attractive features. Mal/Archie Renaux is sexy as hell too, although I felt like he didn’t use much range. I suspect that he also has powers/is Grisha, along with the Crows.

I love fantasy content and enjoyed the series. But these YA adaptations are always a bit cringy for some reason. I doubt Netflix funds this for more than 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2021 8:54 PM

As a bisexual male, I wish they’d cast hot model types and not just kill two birds with one stone by casting a POC as the bisexual character. Bisexual men wish to be seen as mainstream too, not someone marginal.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]I’m a big ole ‘mo, but I wanted the big Fjerdan to plow the heartrender chick on their way back to civilization.

As a fellow homosexual, I must concur. I loved their chemistry and banter.

But my favourite couple of the show were the 2 male heartrender guards (Fedyor [the smiley one] and Ivan [the brutish one]). I would have loved to see more of them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2021 11:06 PM

whoops...'was'

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2021 11:21 PM

Julian Kostov is so fucking adorable. I feel he's family, but probably won't come out because of Bulgarian culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2021 6:27 PM

based on this recommendation I wanted to like it but quit after the second episode. I found it tedious, difficult to follow the plot, murky and dark. I didn't see any gay stuff going on - maybe I missed it. I wonder how much money they spent on this. Everything seems to be about woman in power these days. That's not a bad thing. It seems show producers are careful not to have women under the control of men - especially black women. That's just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2021 7:09 PM

It's pretty great.

I don't know it's in the books as well, but the show is so ripping off the Game of Thrones Jon & Ygritte romance with the witch and the witch hunter.

Ben Barnes as the brooding villain is genius casting.

Archie Renaux looks like a younger Tom Hardy. Quite a change from his twink days.

I like the group of Kaz, Jesper and Zoya best. I loved the scene of them crossing the fold by train best. Also, THE best use of an emotional support animal ever. LOL. And the outcome of their plan to kidnap Alina is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2021 7:20 PM

R7 there’s been decades of “man saves the world” films. Some women lead characters are refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2021 7:32 PM

All of the fantasy genre these days has the YA slant, especially in terms of film. This one is the least cringy of the latest batch.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2021 7:35 PM

Trixie & Katja reviewing Shadow & Bone. Warning, it contains major spoilers! Best to watch after you've seen the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2021 7:47 PM

Sorry, Katya.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2021 7:48 PM

I didn't think it was hard to follow at all and much to my surprise, I liked all the characters. Ben Barnes doesn't have much gravitas as a big bad here which I was also surprised by because he was really good on Daredevil. But the story is really interesting and I like the found family aspect. Jessie Mei Li is very good in the lead role, and yes, even as a big ole queer I was rooting for the Fjerdan/Grisha couple to hook up. They sold me on actually being attracted to each other. I hope Jesper gets a bf in s2 like he does in the books.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2021 8:50 PM

Will this finally propel BB to stardom?! LOL.

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2021 9:07 PM

Cult stardom, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2021 3:24 AM

Apparently Kit likes to dance to Diana Ross - I’m Coming Out. If he’s family, nice. If they’re just hamming it up for his character, *sigh*.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 5:13 PM

He's my new favorite Kit.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 7:10 PM

Mal and the 2 heartrender queen should have a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2021 6:40 PM

R3 you have bisexual males in nearly everything. You never have actual gay males in media. They always turn out bisexual, fluid, or pansexual.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2021 5:31 AM

This will propel BB to stardom alright - on the convention circuit, where in 15 years he'll still be paying the rent selling his autograph at $40 a pop.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2021 6:42 AM

I want all of the cocks from those males, especially the really big, muscular, tall one. I bet his balls are massive. So much testosterone. 😍🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤💪🍆🍆🍆🍆

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2021 7:02 AM

Did anyone watch this show? Ivan and Fedyor are so cute together. And Ben Barnes is hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2022 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!