Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gio Ponti was the greatest European designer of the 20th century.

Prove. Me. Wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2021 10:02 PM

Eero Saarinen, while famous for his US designs, is European-born and a better designer.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2021 3:08 PM

His work looks like he shopped at Target.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2021 4:31 PM

Well, to begin with, everything in OP’s photo is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2021 4:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2021 2:22 AM

It’s kind of a sparse, Eurotrash aesthetic (?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2021 2:26 AM

^ I'm sceptical of everything from the Guardian.

They're the fools that said Male Road Designers were killing Female Pedestrians.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2021 2:27 AM

The floor here’s striking. A bit too mod for my taste, but... really, that aside, this room is hardly special:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2021 2:29 AM

Marcel Breuer's better.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2021 2:30 AM

I dont expect DL to appreciate him, as most of you have old grandma tastes. Next.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2021 2:36 AM

R9 Gio Ponti is as old as our grandma.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2021 2:48 AM

The OP's link is a website called jerkoff.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2021 2:50 AM

He had a hot ashtray, but he couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2021 3:00 AM

Then let it stay in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 3:09 AM

Vico Magistretti. Cini Boeri. Saarinen. At least ten are better.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 3:25 AM

Dieter Rams. Ettore Sotsass. Both Vignelli's. I could go on. Gio Ponti is top ten. Inventing modernism sees to ignore the Bauhaus completely. Revisionism.

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 3:27 AM

R7 looks like the childrens' and YA section of your local public library.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 3:41 AM

R16 I thought exactly the same thing.

'Modern' designers insisted they were living in the Century of The Common Man.

Therefore they celebrated cheap, factory-made design using cheap materials. No hand-made furniture or William Morris craftsmanship at all!

R7's picture reminds me of the pictures of my local public library which was built in the 1950s and demolished in the early 1990s..

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 4:21 AM

Wiki tells me Gio Ponti did toilet pedestals and some hideous Brutalist monstrosities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 4:26 AM

r9 I collect avant-garde furniture. That particular picture has the Gio Ponti stuff in a 1980's Memphis-esque scheme. Not the way he would arrange anything. Let's talk about any of the Scarpa family. Afra and Tobia, any of them.

Gio Ponti was a fantastic lamp designer.

DL has bad taste. That Gio Ponti designs public library childrens furniture is such a funny and retarded idea.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 4:48 AM

Gio Ponti designs can be easily replicated by cheap copyists in Taiwan and Malaysia and shipped to Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 4:51 AM

r18 It's a Willy Guhl planter. Brutalism isn't what you think, and Gio Ponti had very little to do with brutalism, which was mostly French and American. Look at his lamps. They are anything but dark or depressing.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 4:52 AM

r20 Troll. Have you ever owned a serious piece of modernist furniture in your life? The knock offs are gross, just to rip off poor people. The materials are fake (they can't do laminate, it's too expensive), and the proportions are always off. Wrong. The exposed parts are always too shiny and finished, and the bottoms are completely unfinished. There are exposed bolts.

Knoll, Gavina, any of the Moblers, buy yourself a real piece of furniture. Not fake stickley Target shit. Grow up. Get some taste, some style.

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 4:55 AM

DL thinks this is brutalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 4:59 AM

Gio Ponti's brutalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 5:08 AM

r24 black and white pic of a building with huge windows and tons of light. It's classified as a "building in need of protection" against Philistines like yourself. Brutalism has nothing to do with being depressing, brutal, or dark. It's concrete, and it's a beautiful material.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 5:16 AM

I used to subscribe to Domus.

It was hip and it was cool. It was chic and it was hep!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] Gio Ponti was the greatest European designer of the 20th century

Are you talking Early Ponti or Late Ponti?

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 5:22 AM

The city inspector asked me to destroy my Willy Guhls. As if!

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 5:23 AM

Is he Sophia's brother-in-law?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 5:25 AM

R27 The whole breadth of his career, especially having lived a very long life and the diversity of media he worked in and the extent of his impact within the continent of Europe and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 5:28 AM

r28 Insane Philistinism. Let me guess. Fungus? Vinegar will fix it but do not. I want a pair of his chairs for my garden.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 5:29 AM

Charrlotte Perriand before Ponti. Better than Mies, so he graffitied her house and then died in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 5:31 AM

R15 You mention that the OP's silly jerkoff article claims Ponti invented modernism while ignoring the Bauhaus.

I think the silly jerkoff article was meant for teenagers. Not connoisseurs.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 5:32 AM

[quote] Fungus? Vinegar will fix

R31 Are you talking Onychomycosis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 5:35 AM

Vintage Willy Guhl for eternit contains asbestos. That's why. Meanwhile every design museum is allowed to keep and display theirs.

It was cheap when I first shopped in Switzerland years ago. Nobody wanted it.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2021 5:36 AM

R8 Bruer’s best work, especially in architecture, was in the US. So many of the German architects and designers emigrated to the US and there weren’t the creative types to replace them. The dismantling of Bauhaus by the Nazis really cut off the modernest evolution in German, and in many ways the Scandinavians did a much better job of picking up with it and running leaving German in the dust.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2021 5:37 AM

r33 Like Al Gore invented the internet. To ignore the Bauhaus when speaking of modernism? Albers then. Ponti was great, but inventing modernism? which extended so far beyond chairs or buildings. Teens should start with the Bauhaus when learning about modernism. Or even earlier. Hoffman. Prague Chairs, 1904.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2021 5:39 AM

r35 Ah, I remember something about this. The real originals are going for 5k while others are 1500 and it is the asbestos that collectors crave isn't it? They look better. The patina really is interesting on those older ones.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2021 5:41 AM

r36 I recently watched a video on youtube about the original Bauhaus and how they wanted to make stuff for the common German Frau, and middle class Germans completely rejected the metal and chrome and simplicity as cold, sterile and robotic. I think Dieter Rams finished that process by making the design more palatable to middle class Germans.

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2021 5:43 AM

R36 I guess those 'creative types' who left Germany realised their brand of quirky, pseudo-intellectual, self-absorbed elitism wasn't appreciated by the new regime which wanted buildings which had some kind of grandeur and emotional charge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2021 5:44 AM

This is chic, sexy, and also relaxing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2021 5:47 AM

Bauhaus was a success, then the Nazis stamped it out.

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2021 5:47 AM

R32 Perriand was too overshadowed by Le Corbusier, even though she lived a long life it was only her 21st century “rediscovery” and extracting her as a leading woman of design in the 20th century that she is recognized and celebrated. Many had forgotten her.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2021 5:51 AM

R41 Those chairs are Charles Eames' Spider Chairs!

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2021 5:51 AM

Nice for a one time glance. I wouldn’t want to live with any of his designs.

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2021 5:52 AM

R44 - what are you talking about - there’s no such thing as an Eames “spider” chair. Those Ponti chairs are vaguely like an Eames DCM, but lots of modern designs are variations of similar themes.

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2021 5:58 AM

This statement from the Brooklyn Museum further justifies my claim, noting as I did the the squashing and demonizing of Modernism by the Nazis set back the Germans from their strong start in the earlier 20th Century, but what I didn’t really know or understand was that Mussolini actually supported and endorsed Modernism, which set the stage for it to be embraced and blossom in post war Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2021 6:06 AM

So HE'S the one who came up with photogenically angular chairs that become excruciating uncomfortable after sitting on them for more than a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2021 6:24 AM

These prewar pieces were at auction last week and are quite lovely and different from what we think of as Ponti. I really like the Pilgrim cup illustrated in the video thumbnail (looks almost Rockwell Kent), apparently the daybed didn’t sell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2021 6:25 AM

[quote] … but lots of modern designs are variations of similar themes.

Ok, R46, I think R20 said—

[quote] … Gio Ponti designs can be easily replicated by cheap copyists in Taiwan and Malaysia and shipped to Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2021 6:26 AM

This has some wonderful images from the exhibition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2021 6:28 AM

No, R48, Marcel Breuer came first. Gio Ponti stole that idea also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2021 6:29 AM

Postwar Ponti obviously. Super Leggera chairs? I had a set, very elegant.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2021 6:32 AM

That hideous pic you posted, OP, proved you wrong with no assistance needed.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2021 6:43 AM

So the Georgia Museum of Art had a big exhibit in 2017 and this is an interview with a curator. This turquoise table is amazing, not in the least because it’s concave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2021 6:43 AM

relatively easy to find

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2021 6:49 AM

R55 Concave tables are very useful in homes for the senile and physically impaired.

They're also useful in preventing ill-behaved children of resting their forearms on the dinner table.

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2021 6:54 AM

r56 You are correct. In aluminum chorme, set of 4 for 400 bucks at the Rose Bowl. Easy to find, but most of these people are full on Target Marms.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2021 6:57 AM

Shit no, authentic Charivari at boots and flea markets in Switzerland. Naive people don't know what they have.

by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2021 7:05 AM

*Chiavari

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2021 7:06 AM

school chair for 12 thousand dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2021 7:13 AM

^ rich people hustling for their fetishes.

by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2021 7:46 AM

the original Bauhaus and how they wanted to make stuff for the common German Frau, and middle class Germans completely rejected the metal and chrome and simplicity as cold, sterile and robotic.

Well, R39, I have to agree with the common German Frau.

The Bauhaus stuff was designed by pseudo-intellectual, self-absorbed elitists who were more concerned with the theory of geometry than human anatomy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 3, 2021 10:58 PM

The picture at R51 and the OP have that decidedly-odd armchair with those uncomfortable-looking armrests.

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote]r46 what are you talking about - there’s no such thing as an Eames “spider” chair.

Your FACE is a spider chair... because stupid spiders SIT on it!

by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2021 3:25 AM

R65 - that is the strangest attempt at an insult ever to appear on the DL. Which is something.

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2021 4:23 PM

[quote] The Eames Brothers

OH DEAR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2021 4:49 PM

Ray’s pronouns were she/her!

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2021 4:54 PM

Spider Chairs break easily

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2021 9:16 PM

Spider Chairs may be OK for 'chic' Italians but not for fat, overfed Americans.

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2021 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!