Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 26 movies every design lover should see

I understand some of these choices but not others.

Metropolis, Safe, The Ice Storm, yes.

But Batman? Beetlejuice? TOYS? Hell no!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2021 7:05 PM

Any list of films, other than “Most Overhyped”, with Black Panther on it is not worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2021 6:54 AM

A few good choices, but so many bad ones in OP's list.

Offhand, any of these are better than the stupid, popular choices in the AD list:

The Graduate

A Room with a View

North by Northwest

Bell, Book, and Candle

Indiscreet

The Talented Mr. Ripley

A Single Man

Blade Runner

Auntie Mame

American Psycho

Interiors

The Wings of the Dove

Brideshead Revisited

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2021 7:11 AM

I like the writing style despite some shitty choices.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2021 7:17 AM

A Single Man made the list, actually.

The Virgin Suicides and In the Mood for Love are good picks, but a number of entries could be swapped with something by Antonioni.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2021 7:26 AM

r2 Gets it, but I would add "a Summer Place" and even "Fargo" to that list of movies that capture a period of time in a specific place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2021 7:39 AM

I switch some out with Diva, Revolutionary Road and something by Derek Jarman. Glad to see Women on the Verge on the list.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2021 8:07 AM

Which should definitely NOT be on the list?

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2021 8:20 AM

Well, two Tim Burtons is definitely overkill. And while there are a lot of things I like about The Harder They Come (starting with the fantastic soundtrack), it seems like a rather arbitrary choice for a list like this.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 8:43 AM

R7: I would definitely exclude Toys (WTF?); Beetlejuice; Batman; The Harder They Come; Star Wars. I love both Breathless and Do the RIght Thing, yet they are more about the visual mood of a time rather than architecture or interiors. Everything Wes Anderson looks like anything Annie Leibovitz to me, kitschy, korny, too "graphic," too easy (both always call to mind the photography scenes in Woody Allen's Starust Memories, 1980.)

Far from Heaven, The Virgin Suicides, and The Last Black Man in San Francisco, and Safe seem more notable mentions to me.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 9:06 AM

"Barry Lyndon"

"1900" or "The Last Emperor" though Visconti always get a lot of attention on these sorts of lists, and rightly; in some Bertolucci's films it's almost as if you can smell the spaces and feel the heat or the cool of a room.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 9:14 AM

"Cleopatra"

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 9:19 AM

Yeah, Cleopatra really captured Hollywood circa 50 BC

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 9:40 AM

TOYS is a tough sit, but it is absolutely a PoMo daydream and should be on a list like this.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 9:57 AM

Think the film was called The Dreamers? With Ava Green, Louis Garrel and Michael Pitt. That huge old Paris apartment was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 12:04 PM

That's it, R14, another Bertolucci film like the two in R10.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 12:09 PM

My choices:

The Party, with Peter Sellers (1967)

Ruthless People and Down and Out in Beverly Hills, mid 80s, both featuring Bette Midler

Blow Up (1967)

Performance, with Mick Jagger, 1970 but shot in 1968

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 3:16 PM

Yes to Blade Runner and Diva -- both absolutely seminal films for their design.

So glad to see Women on the Verge (or indeed, any of Almodovar's earlier films) and American Gigolo made the list. Their design was really memorable.

Dangerous Liaisons and all Visconti's films are simply gorgeous, but in Ruthless People, only the scenes of Bette Midler's Memphis-inspired interiors really stand out for design.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2021 4:35 PM

I love the house in The Sandpiper on the beach. I would love to live some place like that.

Also the film Manhunter should be on the list for the home at the sea.

I agree with A summer place and the wings of the dove is a stunning film in some beautiful buildings

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 6:08 PM

The High Note also features a beautiful house and the new version of Emma and Seberg - Jean seberg’s Cold Water Canyon home looked beautiful in that movie

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 6:13 PM

I love the Art Deco sets in the 1930s pre code Female (1932) and the 1921 version of Camille is stunning too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2021 6:17 PM

I forgot how cute and nerdy Banderas was in "Women on the Verge." I had such a teenage crush on him in that film.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2021 6:21 PM

It's a bullshit list written by some Millennial who's seen just two movies made before he was born.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2021 7:02 PM

"Dial M for Murder" - Hitchcock, 1954

All but 5 minutes of the film takes place within a small apartment of about 500 square feet in Mayfair, London. The sets, however minimal, are really masterful,, a great picture of the time and of the class friction the husband and wife at the center of the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2021 9:54 AM

Blade Runner

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2021 9:57 AM

Wasn’t the architect in the Fountainhead based on FLW and they even approached him about doing sets, but he was too expensive? I’ve never seen it but it looks like it has potential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2021 9:58 AM

I agree with about half that list. What about Blade Runner? L.A. Confidential? Those featured actual iconic L.A. buildings. I could name 10 or so films better than some on that list.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2021 10:00 AM

Has anyone mentioned the ultra contemporary house in the recent Invisible Man, and most importantly does anyone know if those walls were Venetian plaster or a highly polished cement?

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2021 10:05 AM

How can they have Far from Heaven but not All That Heaven Allows?

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2021 10:38 AM

Whoever complied the list has a Julianne Moore fetish.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote]two Tim Burtons is definitely overkill

Agreed, I think you need one because of the influence of his cartoonish style, but he doesn't exactly have more than one style or two periods of work or what have you.

Love to see the love for DIVA on here. My partner and I talk about the baguette scene ALL THE TIME.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2021 11:22 AM

R29 Who doesn’t have a Julianna Moore Fetish?

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2021 2:39 PM

An article and a thread lauding brilliant production and costume design in which the designers' names are rarely if ever mentioned.

OUTRAGEOUS!

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2021 2:45 PM

R32 And all this at the height of Oscar season, shameful!

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2021 2:46 PM

The Black Cat, with Karloff and Lugosi.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2021 7:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!