Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kate Winslet. What do we think about her?

I like everyone of her performances. From Sense and Sensibility, Eternal Sunshine, The Reader. Everything she has done.

I have noticed that DLers are very critical towards her because of her Oscar winning. And I mean, it was her third or fourth nomination and have you seen the rest of the contenders? Who do you wanted to win? Angelina for “playing” whatever in a forgettable movie directed by a Republican?

She could have been Viola in Shakespeare in Love. I think she could have been great, much better than Goop. Do you think she would have gotten that Oscar like GP did? Do you think she was ever one of the Harvey’s girls?

by Anonymousreply 119April 22, 2021 12:46 AM

She went a bit mental after early success, then pulled herself together. She's still Hollywood, but has managed to reclaim a bit of empathy and self-insight.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2021 6:47 AM

I have found her work very solid with very few trash-heaps. i think she holds up well and i enjoy her portrayals. Endless Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was really great, but so were many other movies. i think she really throws herself into roles and have not really seen many stinkers from her. i appreciate her work as an actress for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2021 7:03 AM

Very kind. Very professional. Hardworking. Has had minimal work done and looks amazing. Great mother. Very talented and versatile actress.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2021 7:06 AM

She had an oddly-shaped, nude, matronly body in The Reader.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2021 7:08 AM

We don't think of her.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2021 7:10 AM

fuck off kindly, r 5

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2021 7:14 AM

She is miles above GOOP. I think she's a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2021 7:17 AM

fuck off, r4 and r5.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 7:18 AM

Crickets on this thread. Not exactly firing up the eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 7:20 AM

An odd choice for pairing romantically with Leo D. She always came across more like his babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 7:23 AM

Um R10 that was AGES AGO. leave it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 7:26 AM

OP if you are going to start a thread you can't get mad at every post someone puts on it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 7:33 AM

Kate Winslet wouldn't have been convincing as a young man in SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE. She was too buxom and matronly.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 7:50 AM

Leo and her were not great. She has been far more effective in many other films.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 7:51 AM

She’s a terrific actress with a very solid resume of work.

She has a better resume than Streep who really has been in a lot of mediocre films and very few strong ones.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 7:54 AM

And, don’t rag on Kate for the lack of chemistry with Leo. He’s the one who NEVER really sizzles with any of his female co-stars.

Kate and Leo had fun chemistry in Titanic but it was more of a sibling dynamic than lovers.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 7:57 AM

Her work is solid (though I agree that she's far too womanly to have done the Shakespeare in Love role; skinny Goop and her non-existent lips were much more suitable), but her marriages to a gay man and a man who changed his last name to "Rocknroll" suggest that she's a bit of a kook.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2021 8:00 AM

Kate is a fantastic actress, but would've been wrong for Viola. Gwyneth is great in specific roles, and Viola was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 8:04 AM

Not attractive but great actress

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 8:11 AM

I think she’s a great actress and I love how pro-gay she is. She said her and her oldest son watched God’s Own Country together and they both loved it and wept while watching it. Also, I love the interview she recently did talking about closeted actors she knows that are scared to come out. I’m happy someone’s shining light on that.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2021 8:15 AM

She was the better half of Revolutionary Road.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2021 8:17 AM

She leaves no fucking impression whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2021 9:21 AM

Great actress. As Shakespeare in love was such a huge hit I think it would have benefitted her career and she would have nailed it. I think that she has made missteps career wise. Those divergent films are dreadful and she is dreadful in them. She has obviously concentrated on her kids rather than a career..

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2021 9:44 AM

Frankly, I enjoyed Kate's version of 'Mildred Pierce' better than Joan Crawford's.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2021 9:50 AM

I did too, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2021 9:54 AM

[quote]Those divergent films are dreadful and she is dreadful in them.

Anything with that Shailene Woolley cunt is going to be dreadful!

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2021 10:02 AM

*Woodley

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2021 10:02 AM

Shailene Lindsay-Woolsey

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2021 10:10 AM

St Viola should have been cast as her namesake in SIL.

Kate's a good actress with a terrific resume but her publicity whoring the year she desperately clawed her way to the Academy Award was off-putting. I haven't been able to stand her since. She comes across as phony and fake-nice.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2021 10:14 AM

She's barfy.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2021 10:52 AM

Technically she's a very good actress, she naturally eases herself into her roles despite always doing the same vague American accent.

But I've never found myself truly excited about her.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2021 11:29 AM

I think unfortunately as a woman, especially if you are not going to work a lot like Nicole Kidman, you need to be a careerist even more than a man. Cate Blackett has done well and a couple of her roles would have done Winslet well tbh. She would reach a peak and disappear. She is probably happy tbh

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 11:29 AM

Eternal Sunshine was her best role.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2021 11:31 AM

Pretty forgettable, as far as performances go, despite the length of her resume.

As far as Mildred Pierce goes, no one does mother of ungrateful kid like Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2021 11:34 AM

[quote]Technically she's a very good actress, she naturally eases herself into her roles despite always doing the same vague American accent.

If she were an American doing a vague British accent, you would never hear the end of it. One main difference between Brits and Americans is, the latter are very forgiving of Brits trying their accents and are like "Close enough!" whereas the former won't give Americans any credit and will exclaim, "That's not even close enough!"

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2021 11:39 AM

I like her a lot - she's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2021 11:41 AM

R32 tbh your post makes no sense tbh

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 11:42 AM

Outstanding in “Heavenly Creatures”, especially given her youth, she’s given many terrific performances since then. I also love her in “Sense and Sensibility” and “Eternal Sunshine”.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 11:48 AM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2021 11:50 AM

Compared to other actresses born in the 1970s I'd say Kate is:

Not as good as: Rachel Weisz, Marion Cotillard, Charlize Theron

On par with: Rachel McAdams, Penélope Cruz, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, Amy Adams

Better than Kate Beckinsale, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Connelly, Winona Ryder, Drew Barrymore,

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2021 11:51 AM

R12 this is the first time I respond to this thread. I don’t know what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2021 12:03 PM

R40: They're all pretty forgettable actresses. We're in a period like the 1950s, with a lot of older actresses still finding work, while the young ones are either awful (Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee), forgettable, or well on their way to mostly character parts (Eva Marie Saint, Joanne Woodward).

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2021 12:08 PM

When you compare actresses born in the 70s to the 40s it's an entirely different class.

Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Jessica Lange, Diane Keaton, Helen Mirren, Kathy Bates, Jacki Weaver, Sissy Spacek, Sigourney Weaver, Charlotte Rampling, Faye Dunaway, Julie Christie, Stockard Channing, Dianne Weist, Barbara Hershey, Barbra Minnelli, Liza Streisand, Cher and Sally Fields.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2021 12:15 PM

R43 types 70 years old. I hope to never be one of those gays who say “girls this days can’t act like women my generation, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, Margot Robbie, Saoirse Ronan...” I really hope so because they are all good in different moments and of course, different roles, because feminine roles have changed a lot over the last years. If they weren’t good they wouldn’t have achieved that amount of success, any of them.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2021 12:21 PM

[quote][R43] types 70 years old.

I'm the same age as Kate Winslet as it happens, but I do think the 40s produced a generation of actors that isn't comparable with the 50s, 60s or 70s.

Of the young actors you mentioned I'd say Saoirse Ronan is way above the others in terms of versatility and her ability to lose herself in a role.

Jennifer Lawrence reminds me of Kate Winslet in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2021 12:35 PM

She's a good actress, but her gross campaigning for the Oscar totally turned me off her.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2021 12:52 PM

In a recent Roundtable for the Francis Lee lezzie film she announced “I don’t campaign”. 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]She's a good actress, but her gross campaigning for the Oscar totally turned me off her.

That & her furious backpedaling about working with Woody Allen. She'd be far better off just to own it & let the chips fall where they may.

While I realize all actors/actresses are phonies, she is off the Phony Charts with her latter day wokeness & female empowerment nonsense

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 2:07 PM

she smokes dope and sticks it up her nose

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 2:18 PM

She keeps a low profile and probably prefers it that way. Not everyone who’s achieved a level of mainstream success in the industry is interested in selling their mind, body, and soul to stay on top. And those that do don’t often have a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]I think she’s a great actress and I love how pro-gay she is. She said her and her oldest son watched God’s Own Country together and they both loved it and wept while watching it. Also, I love the interview she recently did talking about closeted actors she knows that are scared to come out. I’m happy someone’s shining light on that.

That made me cringe actually. There are lots of straight women who have championed gay rights over the years without feeling the need to say LOOK AT ME I'M CHAMPIONING GAY RIGHTS!

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 2:24 PM

R48 couldn't agree more!

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 3:10 PM

Meryl shoulda won for Doubt over Winslet in 2008. Then Viola could have won for The Help in 2011. Then Michelle Williams coulda won for Manchester By The Sea in 2016.

Winslet could then have won for Steve Jobs over Alicia Vikander in 2015. Alicia has Michael Fassbender beautiful pinga, she doesn't need an Oscar as well!

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 4:03 PM

R53 LOL! Your last sentence literally made me LOL!

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2021 4:13 PM

My favorite contemporary film actress.

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2021 4:33 PM

R1 I agree. I think she has a sense of humor about things now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2021 4:39 PM

Eternal Sunshine is such an overrated piece of crap.

I liked her best in Quills. She and Joaquin Phoenix had much better chemistry than she ever had with DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2021 4:50 PM

Kate could have pulled off Viola in SiL if she'd been as thin as she was when she did Sense and Sensibility. The buxom Kate of Titanic wouldn't have worked.

The other high-profile period piece she turned down after Titanic was Anna and the King. She would have been far more believable as a 19th Century English governess than Jodie Foster was.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2021 4:54 PM

r40 She's much better than Weisz and Theron. Certainly better than Cotillard in English. Weisz has been living off of Winslet's leftovers her entire career. Every role she gets, it's because Winslet turned it down. Including The Constant Gardener and The Favourite.

The last decade for her was really rough. Look at her filmography on Rotten Tomatoes. I think Steve Jobs may have been the only "fresh" film she was in the whole decade. She seems to be rebounding well though with Ammonite (the film came and went, but she got great reviews) and Mare of Easttown. People mock the Avatar sequels but they'll go and see them anyways. Thus, they'll be big hits.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 4:58 PM

The British actress of her generation who was better than her was/is Samantha Morton, but she got the "difficult" rep.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2021 5:02 PM

Right after Titanic she did little-seen indie movies. I don't think fame is her primary motive, as long as she keeps the bills paid. I don't love everything she's in, but it's usually worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2021 5:11 PM

I bet Winslet really regretted turning down The Favourite.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 5:13 PM

Was Winslet going to play Queen Anne? As R59 pointed out she's had an awful decade after starting off strong in 2011. I thought her Oscar campaign was terrible and presumptions, she really wsng that great in The Reader and her tits never looked worse.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 5:17 PM

I like her and enjoy most of her films.

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2021 5:21 PM

[quote]Was Winslet going to play Queen Anne?

No.

It's amusing that Weisz replaced Winslet in the role of Sarah Churchill seeing Winslet had previously replaced Weisz in the role of Sam Mendes' partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 5:21 PM

Winslet has never done theatre.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 5:27 PM

Who cares R66?

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2021 5:28 PM

Winslet would've been interesting as Sarah, but don't know if the film would've been vastly improved. Rachel was good in the role.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2021 5:29 PM

No, I believe Winslet was up for Weisz's part.

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 5:31 PM

I agree that Winslet wouldn't have brought anything to the role of Sarah that Weisz didn't bring. In fact, I think Weisz was better suited to play the canny and intelligent Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2021 5:32 PM

She would have got to munch another carpet

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2021 5:34 PM

R60 Samantha Morton looks like a toad.

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2021 5:46 PM

She did not deserve a nomination for "Iris".

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote]She did not deserve a nomination for "Iris".

Too right.

Far more deserving were Emily Watson in Gosford Park, Gemma Jones in Bridget Jones' Diary, Carrie Anne Moss in Memento, Little Dakota Fanning in I Am Sam, Jennifer Coolidge in Legally Blonde, Cate Blanchett in The Shipping News, Yolande Moreau for Amelie and Frances O'Connor in AI.

She did deserve recognition for Hamlet but it was a competitive year in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2021 6:04 PM

She’s a good actress but lacks that extra ‘magic.’ She turned a lot of people off by dying on her ‘support Woody Allen to the end’ hill when she thought she’d be nommed for the ‘Wonder wheel’ film and then dropped him as soon as she wasn’t.

To the poster that said Charlize isn’t as good an actress: has KW ever delivered a performance to the standard of Charlize in Monster? Also she could never compete with Charlize’s range.

By all accounts she is genuine though. I know a lady who works as a nanny and she got talking to a parent in a playground in LA when the kid she was looking after bonded with the parent’s kid. They hit it off and the parent said “great to meet you, let’s hang out again” and handed her her card. She looked down and the card read ‘Kate Winslet.’ My friend hasn’t recognised her the whole time!

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2021 6:23 PM

Has Kate ever done a comedy? Her performance in Romance and Cigarettes was bizarre at times but I'm not sure it was a comedy.

She does have a nice singing voice. What If often makes it onto my festive playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2021 6:34 PM

If she'd quit show business right after HEAVENLY CREATURES, I would have loved her for as long as I lived. Then she had to go and spoil it all.

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2021 6:45 PM

R77 All the best people have bad chests and bone diseases

by Anonymousreply 78April 20, 2021 6:50 PM

I agree that there's something about her that isn't truly memorable, but she has done consistently fine-to-excellent work. She was the best performance in STEVE JOBS. I think part of her problem is that she tends to do too many put-upon-women roles so her performances blend into each other. There's an interesting, if uneven Australian film called The Dressmaker, which is tonally all over the place, but it's one of her better recent performances even with some scene-stealers like Judy Davis (overacting, but fun) around.

I didn't care much for her Mildred Pierce, but it had more to do with the mini-series itself than her. The character is such a blind masochistic doormat for the daughter and Winslet played it true to the script, whereas Crawford had more verve. But I'm not a big fan of Todd Haynes - he tends to get bogged down in recreating the look of an era at the expense of moving the story along.

I agree with the above poster that she's not "better" than Rachel Weisz. For one thing, they have very different strengths. Weisz may have lost Sam Mendes (and it may have been over anyway) but she definitely traded up when she got Daniel Craig.

by Anonymousreply 79April 20, 2021 8:51 PM

She’s about the best we have and believe me, all the actresses near her age are running catch up and reference Kate first to see if they can do it. Maybe, just maybe not Samantha Morton.

by Anonymousreply 80April 20, 2021 9:06 PM

R80 sounds like Winslet's publicist. Please. I'm sure she's well-admired by fellow actors but there are others equally fine. Emily Watson is one that comes to mind, and I think she's underrated.

by Anonymousreply 81April 20, 2021 9:32 PM

Emily Watson? Maybe if she didn’t look like a mongoloid.

by Anonymousreply 82April 20, 2021 10:14 PM

Her talent is up there with Streep's.

by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2021 10:20 PM

Didn’t Emily Watson play a mongoloid mother in a ‘Lifetime’ picture? The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree with that one. Of course Kate doesn’t do Lifetime pictures. It’s straight to HBO or nothing for her television projects.

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2021 10:20 PM

I like Emily Watson, but she is looking rather matronly these days, while Kate has kept her figure, and fair or not, that's a deal breaker for a woman of a certain age. But EW is still a very good, if underappreciated, actress

by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] And, don’t rag on Kate for the lack of chemistry with Leo. He’s the one who NEVER really sizzles with any of his female co-stars.

This is true. No amount of feminine wiles from anyone with an XX chromosome is going to make [italic]that[/italic] motor run. And I do like her as an actress despite my joking about her in this here thread.

by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2021 12:06 AM

She comes across as an idiot here:

[quote]Kate Winslet says her daughter isn’t getting roles because of her famous mom. The famed actress says that casting directors haven’t known her daughter, up-and-coming actress Mia Threapleton, is related to her. “What’s been really great for her is she has a different surname so that initial job out of the gate, she slipped right under the radar,” Winslet told TV host Lorraine Kelly during a recent interview.

She seems to think casting directors don't have Google.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 21, 2021 12:10 AM

Her daughter looks like a member of the East German shotput team. She's ONLY getting roles because she's Kate's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 88April 21, 2021 12:30 AM

Her daughter isn't being pushed on the public like the Hamlin spawn and many MANY others. This is the first I'm hearing that she's even pursuing an acting career.

by Anonymousreply 89April 21, 2021 12:38 AM

Her daughter looks like Greta Thunberg and now we know who she is since mummy spilled the beans. I’ve gathered that Kate is somewhat daft and/or crazy from her interviews but it means nothing as she’s still, like I’ve said before, just about the best there is.

by Anonymousreply 90April 21, 2021 12:53 AM

Theron plays a cunt in everything. Wow, big stretch. And Monster was one of those hammy pantomime performances.

And why are we bring up looks to bash Watson and Morton? What does that have to do with anything? As if Winslet is a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 91April 21, 2021 1:03 AM

But Theron can be an action star as well as the ingenue. Can you really picture Carthorse Kate as an action star lolllll

by Anonymousreply 92April 21, 2021 1:08 AM

She made it look so fucking easy.

by Anonymousreply 93April 21, 2021 1:12 AM

R91 The Monster performance was more than that but she’s never come close again to that type or excellence.

by Anonymousreply 94April 21, 2021 1:18 AM

I’m happy to have Kate in any form doing parts for us Mare of East on HBO. Who else is making movies for us gays? Sean Penn? You bitches need to relax because no one else is out there for us.

by Anonymousreply 95April 21, 2021 1:23 AM

Annoying AF

by Anonymousreply 96April 21, 2021 1:24 AM

I like pre-'The Reader / Revolutionary Road' Kate Winslet. Starting around that time, her focus seemed to shift from the riskier projects of her early career to middlebrow prestige films and she became much less interesting to me. Her open thirst for awards is annoying.

Another note--she tends to be more successful in parts that are not dialogue-heavy. She can come across as mannered and forced in a talky scene, but can be quite compelling when she is listening or physically reacting.

My favorite English actresses of her generation are Sally Hawkins and Samantha Morton, and I wish they had a crack at the higher profile projects regularly offered to Winslet and Olivia Colman.

by Anonymousreply 97April 21, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote] I like everyone of her performances.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 98April 21, 2021 4:45 AM

You Winslet, you Loselet.

by Anonymousreply 99April 21, 2021 4:46 AM

I like her but I do think she is acting in interviews. She seems to have a better career now than Julia Roberts who never recovered after children.

by Anonymousreply 100April 21, 2021 4:51 AM

She was very funny in her guest spot on the old Ricky Gervais show “Extras” in 2005. She played herself taking on a role in a Holocaust drama as a shameless play for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 101April 21, 2021 4:51 AM

You bitches forget Viola was first offered to ME. I passed but went ahead a took some dicking from my would be costar,

by Anonymousreply 102April 21, 2021 4:56 AM

IDGAF about her look for any role. She was sublime in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless of the Mind. you all can fuck yourselves about anything else. One of my favorite films of all time.

by Anonymousreply 103April 21, 2021 5:03 AM

Everything was offered first to Julia Roberts in the 90s. She'd have been a bloody awful Viola. When she did try to play English in Mary Reilly it was a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 104April 21, 2021 5:11 AM

?r104 i think you have been woefully mis-disrected. nothing to do with Kate Winslet. Please see yourself out.

by Anonymousreply 105April 21, 2021 5:17 AM

Take a look at R102, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106April 21, 2021 5:28 AM

I would like her a lot more if she didn’t constantly say annoying things.

by Anonymousreply 107April 21, 2021 5:38 AM

I do not understand Kate Winslet's appeal AT ALL.

She's sort of bovine and not really pretty, and her acting is bland as fuck. How is she such a critic's darling? Other than "Titanic" not one of her films comes to mind, and I've actually seen a few!

by Anonymousreply 108April 21, 2021 5:47 AM

She was gorgeous in Titanic and Sense and Sensibility, a classic English rose type, but she ruined her skin with smoking and over-dieting. She looks hard now, and without that gorgeous skin and the bloom of youth, she is nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 109April 21, 2021 5:52 AM

[quote]Winslet has never done theatre.

Saoirse Ronan, a brilliant screen actress finally did her first play.

Too bad it was as Abigail in "The Crucible" on Broadway. She was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 110April 21, 2021 5:57 AM

Saoirse makes me want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 111April 21, 2021 6:00 AM

Charlize Theron is one-note and massively overrated. A raging egomaniac and murderous cunt is convincing playing raging egomaniacs and murderous cunts on the big screen? Color me shocked.

by Anonymousreply 112April 21, 2021 6:37 AM

R109 It’s strange. Sometimes she looks really pretty and other times she looks rough even when made up.

Her defending Woody Alley really put me off though.

by Anonymousreply 113April 21, 2021 8:09 AM

*Allen

by Anonymousreply 114April 21, 2021 8:10 AM

As mentioned upthread, her appearance on Extras was sublime. She can definitely do comedy and I wish she'd do more.

by Anonymousreply 115April 21, 2021 8:29 AM

R110, Saoirse Ronan was misdirected by that pretentious hack Ivo van Hove to scream most of her part in The Crucible, so I don't entirely blame her. When she appeared as a presenter on the Tony Awards that season, she was hoarse.

Unlike her more seasoned colleagues Ben Whishaw and Sophie Okonedo (who won a Tiny), Ronan probably didn't have the technique to protect her vocal chords or felt she could pushback a bit.

by Anonymousreply 116April 21, 2021 2:45 PM

Won a Tony, that is.

by Anonymousreply 117April 21, 2021 2:46 PM

I have mentioned here before that I have worked with her, and I love, love , LOVE her. Consummate professional, smart, and funny as hell. One of the only "stars" I'd like to have as a friend.

by Anonymousreply 118April 21, 2021 2:48 PM

R118 She’s always seemed cool so I’m glad she really is. Does she treat the “little” people well too?

by Anonymousreply 119April 22, 2021 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!