Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Judge says Maxine Waters might've caused a mistrial upon appeal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2021 10:55 PM

DL's favorite, Maxine.

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 9:49 PM

One of the responses on Twitter:

[quote] He said it as a parenthetical to rendering a decision denying the defense's request for a mistrial. It'd have been better if he kept his parenthetical thoughts to himself, but not that big a deal in context. Trial judges sometimes get too chatty when the jury isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 9:51 PM

Also note, the jury wasn't present when the judge said this.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 9:53 PM

Off topic, but I'm curious: Who's paying for Chauvin's defense? Is his counsel a Public Defender who was appointed to represent him, which usually requires that a defendant be indigent and unable to afford hiring a lawyer? I assume that the Police Dept/City isn't providing his defense because he was fired for the way he treated Floyd (unless they're on the hook to defend him for whatever he did while employed). If Chauvin's paying his lawyer himself, I assume the attorney demanded and received a big cash down payment plus collateral like a lien on Chauvin's house (which is typically what criminal defense lawyers do) -- in which case, I wonder how Chauvin's wife feels about that.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 11:14 PM

The judge's comment wasn't that there was a mistrial. Instead, he said that it could be successful grounds for mistrial on appeal, but that it wasn't grounds at trial.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 11:19 PM

This sort of thing has happened before. President Nixon stupidly claimed Charlie Manson guilty during his trial, there was no mistrial. Three will be no mistrial because of Maxine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 11:51 PM

^^^ that's why I said upon appeal

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 11:52 PM

Maxine is a pig and only cares about herself and the money she can grift from her donors. Many of her undereducated and unemployed relatives are on her payroll. Corruption is always fine and dandy when someone like Maxine is involved. Hope she gets all the bad press she deserves with this selfish blunder.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 12:15 AM

R4 usually the union will pay for the defense of a police officer accused of misconduct.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 12:20 AM

R8 called it.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 1:00 AM

Cahill is a white supremacist, so of course he'd berate Maxine Waters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 1:18 AM

R9, I forgot that he might be the member of a union. I can see that they might support him even though his employer fired him for cause. If so, he lucked out.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 1:26 AM

If she costs us a conviction, the GOP is so getting re-elected, and if they take back Congress in 2022 it is theirs permanently.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2021 1:30 AM

r13, your "concern" is noted.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2021 1:32 AM

Go dodge another rickshaw, Ling-Ling at R14.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2021 1:36 AM

It's so hilarious that kevin mccarthy wants to censure Maxine for "inciting violence"

Does anyone remember when kevin mccarthy, donald trump, josh hawley, ted cruz and all those other pieces of shit incited the violence and insurrection of January 6th?

Or how the democrats let them all get away with it?

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2021 1:56 AM

You mean like the cop who shot Ashlii Babbitt?

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2021 2:00 AM

We remember r16, although the Repukes wish we didn't.

But we remember.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2021 2:02 AM

False memory syndrome is common these days it seems.

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2021 2:05 AM

Why oh why do we continue to let heterosexuals govern us?

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2021 2:12 AM

And the Klan apes come jumping out of the trees, hooting and flinging poo.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2021 2:22 AM

Dear troll, you forgot how to properly address the true martyr for your cause: the domestic terrorist, insurrectionist, an an overall Qunt Ashli Babbitt.

Never talk ill of the dead unless they are evil human beings who richly deserved their fate.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2021 2:37 AM

I was done with Maxine after she started sucking up to that trash Cardi B.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2021 2:39 AM

Sure you were, R23. And I'm the Crown Princess of Japan.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2021 2:45 AM

Maxine's pussy hasn't been wet this century.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2021 2:46 AM

Maxine is such a shitty human being.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2021 2:47 AM

R24 = Maxine’s number one fan

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2021 2:52 AM

when Maxine says “be more confrontational” she means burn shit down and kill people.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2021 2:55 AM

R8 are you new?

Most politicians these days only care about money. You haven’t noticed how corrupt it is in politics or do you only notice when the politician is Black?

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2021 2:56 AM

[quote]when Maxine says “be more confrontational” she means burn shit down and kill people.

Who does Maxine thinks she is? donald trump during the entire 1st week of january? "stop the steal, Now go down to the capitol and take back what's ours"

or marjorie what ever the fuck green, and that boebert bitch, leading proud boys on tours of the capitol the day before January 6ths?

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2021 3:01 AM

R30, That’s true. She is as bad as Trump.and Marjorie Taylor Greene.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2021 3:05 AM

Can’t this crazy racist bitch just die already?

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 3:07 AM

[quote] "I'll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned. . . .”

If the cop is convicted (as I think that he may be), it will be very difficult for him to get his conviction overturned on appeal on the basis of Maxine’s comments. First, the jurors were told to avoid listening to the news weeks ago. The law presumes that they have followed the rules. Second, let’s say they didn’t. Maxine made these comments over the weekend, with very little opportunity for them to get much publicity. Thus, at some point after the verdict, before the judge releases the jury, the prosecutors may want to question the jurors on the record about whether they even heard her comments and if so, if they had any influence on the jury deliberations. Negative answers from the jurors would remove this as an issue.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2021 3:16 AM

it doesn't matter, the jury should've been sequestered to begin with

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2021 4:22 AM

[quote] it doesn't matter, the jury should've been sequestered to begin with

Well, they weren't. Your stealth support of Chauvin is not all that stealth.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2021 5:15 AM

Cops should retire at 20 years. After that you're just tempting fate.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2021 5:19 AM

Maxine Waters needs to be hung by her nipples.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 5:50 AM

[quote] Maxine Waters needs to be hung by her nipples.

That'll do no good, she'll just fall all the way to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 5:51 AM

There will be rioting and looting in Minneapolis as well as other cities no matter what the verdict is.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2021 5:52 AM

[quote] There will be rioting and looting in Minneapolis as well as other cities no matter what the verdict is.

R39, Should we take cover in the bunkers you said would be necessary when Biden won the election?

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2021 6:26 AM

Plus there are three more trials coming for the other officers.

I think the one guy will be found innocent. He was only on the force two weeks, Chauvin was his training officer and superior, he tried to suggest Chauvin get off Floyd but was told no. What could he do besides push Chauvin off of Floyd but there were two more officers who'd probably have stopped him.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2021 6:33 AM

R40, Bunkers would have come in handy on January 6th.

The crowds in the streets of Minneapolis are just waiting, shopping lists in hand, so they can begin pillaging and looting once the verdict is made known. It won't matter what the verdict will be, they will riot either in celebration or disapproval.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2021 6:53 AM

Newsweek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2021 7:44 AM

Let’s get this clear, please. The judge didn’t say that Waters’s statements (which were totally unnecessary and unacceptable) caused a mistrial. He said it provided a basis for the defense to ask for a mistrial on appeal. This was not news to the defense attorneys, since the Judge’s statement was made in connection with his denial of a mistrial motion by the defense citing the Waters bullshit as a reason.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2021 8:16 AM

Pelosi attempting to define and rationalize Waters' comments was shameful.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2021 11:21 AM

Can someone explain why Chauvin's past violations are inadmissible? I mean...the defense can bring up the first time Floyd smoked a joint but the prosecution can't bring up Chauvin's behavior to establish precedent?

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2021 11:30 AM

Waters is inciting insurrection and there should be consequences.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 11:46 AM

Oh, man. Y'all STILL raw about Trump R48. Haha

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 11:53 AM

Nice try r48, you racist Trump apologist.

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote] The crowds in the streets of Minneapolis are just waiting, shopping lists in hand, so they can begin pillaging and looting once the verdict is made known. It won't matter what the verdict will be, they will riot either in celebration or disapproval.

Wow R42, your response didn't age well. And in such a short window of time. What, 24-48 hours?

You packed so much hate and racism in your response. It has to sting a little. Okay, a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2021 12:43 AM

Southern Decadence in New Orleans was intentionally and fabulously over-the-top tacky.

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2021 12:57 AM

Sorry, obviously wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2021 12:59 AM

R51, Don't throw away your shopping list yet, sweetie. The other three cops involved have yet to be tried and they will not be found guilty.

Ready, set, LOOT . . .

by Anonymousreply 54April 22, 2021 1:09 AM

R54, how does that apply to your post at R42? You didn't mention the other three. It was about a verdict. Not verdicts.

You were wrong. WRONG. Now apologize. I'll check back.

by Anonymousreply 55April 22, 2021 1:15 AM

Miss Maxine is way past her expiration date. She’s hyper, shoots from the hip, and has provocative anger. Make your point, fine; peacefully protest, yes; don’t take any bullshit, absolutely; but there is a way to do it without sounding like the loon she is.

by Anonymousreply 56April 22, 2021 4:56 AM

Will he really appeal the verdict? He wanted to plead guilty. He seems to have accepted the fact that he murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2021 5:03 AM

How long before he kills himself, or gets killed by Bubba?

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2021 5:09 AM

She needs to loosen her wig and let more blood flow to her brain.

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Minnesota law does not allow polling the jury to determine if outside statements affected their decision. The judge should be disciplined for saying what he said.

by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2021 10:10 AM

She’s always been a corrupt idiot. She’s in her 80s. Just retire already and take Feinstein with you!

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2021 10:36 AM

Poor Maxine.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2021 12:11 PM

Maxine is a twat and needs to take several seats and STFU!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2021 12:22 PM

Pelosi also doubled down publicly announcing there was a right and wrong verdict and supporting Waters’ urge to incitement.

You can’t be pissed about the capitol riots and support this bullshit and then claim to be anyone whose opinion should be taken seriously about anything. Or the reverse. The opinions of anarchist hypocrites are trash, just like their ethics.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2021 12:44 PM

That stupid old Bitch needs to just go away

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2021 12:48 PM

But she didn’t. Maybe she grandstands at times, but I think that she is spot on about the current crop of Republicans in Washington these days. And I will take her over Sharpton or Jackson any day.

To be fair, however, I would like to see term limits. Maybe 3-4 terms and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2021 1:14 PM

We need more Maxine Waters.

She’s a positive force of good versus the negative force of evil that her haters espouse.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2021 3:39 PM

I thought the jury was sequestered when she made her comments.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2021 4:03 PM

R68 - they were. There is no way they heard or were influenced by her statement. Typical lying Republican bullshitters.

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2021 4:05 PM

Anyone else find it disturbing how close mistrial and minstrel look, I regularly mistake them for each other, like county and country.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2021 4:17 PM

She's an idiot - also a crook

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2021 5:14 PM

Maxine Waters has an opinion? She's a witch! Kill her!

Trump threatened people on social media? *shrugs shoulders* Boys will be boys.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2021 5:47 PM

"I thought the jury was sequestered when she made her comments."

But they were all watching "Court TV" on their Smartphones.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] There is no way they heard or were influenced by her statement. Typical lying Republican bullshitters.

The JUDGE is the one who said it, idiot R69, and he's not a Repub.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2021 3:52 AM

To certain people who want to upend society, Maxine is a Godess, she even poops golden turds in their minds.

by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2021 11:43 AM

Her district is one of the most poverty stricken areas around. She does nothing for her voters but does plenty for herself.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2021 1:36 PM

Waaay back at r4. Chauvin’s defense was paid from a special fund set up by his union to defend police in cases such as this.

by Anonymousreply 77April 23, 2021 1:40 PM

Maxine is a female Al Sharpton. If there is a fast buck to make, Maxine is first in line.

by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2021 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!