Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Trial of Derek Chauvin, P3

What say ye? Innocent or guilty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 23, 2021 2:55 PM

Previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 9:07 PM

Thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 9:08 PM

Involuntary manslaughter and probation.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 9:11 PM

Guilty on manslaughter which will be overturned on appeal

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 9:12 PM

I would love to hear from some criminal lawyers on the actual legal arguments, although we know the jury is a loose cannon.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 9:16 PM

R5 I’m a lawyer, though not a criminal lawyer.

I don’t see anyway he isn’t found guilty.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 9:22 PM

^ guilty of what???? 2nd? 3rd? manslaughter? they are all different.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 9:25 PM

Nixon accidentally pulled a Maxine Waters back in 1970 regarding Charles Manson. Not quite the same, but he did describe Manson as guilty before the verdict was in. Manson's defence lawyer moved for a mistrial, but was unsuccessful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 9:32 PM

You missed one option: mistrial. And it's looking very likely in this case.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 9:53 PM

Someone reported to Court TV that when the prosecution started laying down their case, the jurors were practically squirming with pleasure. Like it's all they needed as an excuse to lock Chauvin away forever.

I can't believe the prejudice against Chauvin and the canonization of Floyd. Absolutely everyone acts like Floyd was praying in church when he was kidnapped and dragged from a truck by white supremacists.

Chauvin was convicted before the trial started. It's all a sham.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 9:54 PM

Mistrial from a hung jury. Personally I'd vote to acquit. This was a political showtrial.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 9:55 PM

R7 that's tough to say, because juries sometimes compromise to get to a verdict. Even if they all agree he needs to go to jail, they may settle on a lesser charge just to avoid a hung jury.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 9:59 PM

If I were one of the jurors I'd go with third degree. Depraved indifference to human life is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 9:59 PM

On what grounds, r9? Judge just denied it on the Maxine Waters thing.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 10:00 PM

R10 no one is acting like that fuckstick. You don't have to think Floyd is an angel to believe 4 minutes on the neck of an unconscious man is murder. You might have to be a racist to think otherwise, though.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 10:01 PM

How many years is third degree compared to second degree? If he still goes to prison for 50 years for third degree murder, I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote]r10 no one is acting like that fuckstick. You don't have to think Floyd is an angel to believe 4 minutes on the neck of an unconscious man is murder. You might have to be a racist to think otherwise, though.

I have r10 on ignore; the lazy-ass trolling is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 10:04 PM

R10, apparently it has to be repeated a thousand times because you haven’t heard the previous 999 times. It doesn’t matter what Floyd’s character was! He could have been the second coming of the savior, he could have been Satan himself. In this realm he has rights as a human. To not It be killed while he’s handcuffed and lying on the ground is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 10:05 PM

R16, there's some wiggle room. In MN, it's up to 40 years for 2nd, up to 25 for 3rd. I'm not sure what manslaughter carries.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 10:06 PM

r16 -- I think 3rd degree is only 10 years. I'm fine with that; won't take that long for him to "trip and fall" over a second-story cell-block railing.

I hope he gets a cellmate along the lines of this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 10:10 PM

R10, absolute nonsense. Even bad guys have a right not to be murdered by the cops.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 10:10 PM

In that case I would go for 2nd degree. I thought 3rd was worse but I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 10:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how long the jury takes to arrive at a consensus. Could be a few hours all the way up to 2 weeks. I'm guessing they'll be finished sometime Wed or Thurs.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 10:17 PM

I'm not a lawyer. Not do I play one on TV, or anywhere else.

But it is my humble opinion that Chauvin needs to pay for the crime he committed. We all witnessed Floyd die on television or on our phones, computers, and tablets.

And Atty. Nelson should be given 3-6 months for attempted mass murder by legal boredom.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 10:21 PM

Confrontational is what peaceful disobedience is all about...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 10:29 PM

Sorry R7. Second degree manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 10:38 PM

Another interesting question is what will Chauvin’s guilt do in terms of immediate effect on law enforcement?

Will the police be able to do their jobs? Will they want to? Will recruitment fall? Is the answer to send only black officer to black neighborhoods?

It will be fascinating to see.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 10:44 PM

I served a term as a grand juror in my state a few years ago, and believe me, when you get twelve random citizens in a room, at least one or two are going to be MORONS. We had two men on our panel who asked stupid questions even in the simplest, clear cut cases. And the more complex a case was, the more obstructionist they became. By the end of the term, I wanted to bash their skulls in with a baseball bat.

And bear in mind, as grand jurors, we did not render verdicts - all we had to do was determine whether a case warranted indictment or not (known as a "true bill") however in many cases we did have some latitude regarding bail and what charges were applicable.

It was a six month term and it completely changed my outlook on our justice system and the jury system. Not to mention the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 10:46 PM

R28, was there clear video evidence in your crime, though? Even stupid jurors can understand that

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 10:48 PM

I'm thinking a hung jury and a mistrial. Meaning all this was for nothing and we'll have to do it all over again.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 10:48 PM

r20, unfortunately they’ll probably keep him separated from the general prison population.

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 10:51 PM

Maybe it's your city. My experience in a criminal jury pool was each of my fellow jurors if not necessarily a brain surgeon tried to be fair minded and do their duty. Very interesting experience. Similar to this case the prosecutor tried to work us up emotionally against the defendant in lieu of actually proving a crime per the requirements of the offense. Beforehand I would have thought I was above such effective manipulation, but when the jury retired to the jury too deliberate we looked at each other and asked what were we even doing there. There was just no case under the law.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 10:59 PM

It is grossly inappropriate of the White House to comment on this trial before a verdict comes in . . .

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 11:04 PM

One can only hope, R31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 11:12 PM

Either 3rd degree murder - depraved-heart murder

In a depraved-heart murder, defendants commit an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to a person.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 11:12 PM

or 2nd degree manslaughter. I hadn't finished r35

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 11:14 PM

I’m pretty sure Mark David Chapman, John Lennon’s killer, is kept away from general population. If Lennon’s killer is, Floyd’s killer certainly will be.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 11:14 PM

1. Skinned alive

2. Decapitated with a blunt pen knife

3. Slow -boiled

Any of these is fine with me .

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 11:16 PM

3rd degree murder is up to 25 years

2nd degree manslaughter is up to 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 11:18 PM

I can think GF was a scumbag but still think Derek Chauvin was a bigger one. He seriously needs to go to prison for a lonnnng time.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 11:20 PM

If Chauvin ends up serving time, his fellow fascists in state corrections will protect him.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 11:29 PM

"4 minutes on the neck of an unconscious man is murder"

Murder is when you WANT to kill someone. We'd have to believe Chauvin thought killing some ne'er-do-well nobody (ON CAMERA!) was worth his career, reputation, retirement... life, basically. For what- the white supremacist "cause"?

You people have delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 11:32 PM

^ Speaking of delusions, 2nd degree murder in MN is defined as "without intent."

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2021 11:35 PM

Leaning on someone's neck for 9 minutes is not a "mistake" or an "accident".

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2021 11:39 PM

Link r33?

I did find this, which contradicts your claim:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote]unfortunately they'll probably keep him separated from the general prison population.

There's always at least one dirty guard you can pay to leave a few cells open and/or look the other way.

A killer cop? They'll be salivating to off that guy.

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2021 11:45 PM

R42 makes a good point. WHY would Chaivin do that? How was it worth it? I’d really like a glimpse into his mind.

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2021 11:47 PM

[quote] In a depraved-heart murder, defendants commit an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to a person.

That would describe pretty much any instance of police trying to restrain a thug who doesn't want to be restrained and resists.

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2021 11:47 PM

"Leaning on someone's neck for 9 minutes is not a "mistake" or an "accident"."

Because it never happened. Chauvin was doing the move that he was trained to do. There were several shots that showed his knee lift off and Floyd immediately starts thrashing again.

And Floyd's behavior was volatile; they had no idea what he was tripping on (PCP?) and if they let him flail around and injure himself- who gets blamed... and sued?

If Chauvin was distracted by an angry mob shouting at him, maybe he pressed too hard. But Floyd was not a healthy man.

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote]Chauvin was convicted before the trial started. It's all a sham.

Yes, because the entire world watched the murder on their TV.

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2021 11:55 PM

Police have been caught doing all kinds of heinous shit on video. They've brazenly lied despite the existence of video evidence. "Why did Chauvin do it?!" is not some existential mystery. Police lack accountability in this country, and law enforcement has been infiltrated by white supremacists from the beginning. That's a dangerous combo that often leads to precisely this kind of outcome.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2021 11:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2021 11:58 PM

Apparently R49 thinks he's dealing with a thread full of people who aren't aware of the evidence that the knee to neck hold was contrary to Chauvin's training and that it lasted nearly 4 minutes after Floyd was unconscious (i.e. not "thrashing"). But I'm sure he'll keep trying with his bullshit anyway.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 12:00 AM

Doesn't "keeping someone from general population" basically means solitary confinement? I'm pretty sure solitary confinement is even worse than torture or death. I've seen a couple of documentaries were US inmates stay 23h in their cells (without windows) and 1h in a cage outside with huge walls surrounding them (so they don't even see a tree or grass) and these people go insane.

The guy in Norway who killed dozens of children on an island filed a lawsuit bc the prison kept him away from general population and he said not seeing other inmates and no human interaction was worse than torture.

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2021 12:04 AM

White House Press Secretary REFUSES to condemn Maxine Waters for telling BLM to be 'more confrontational' while Pelosi insists Waters shouldn't apologize because she 'wasn't inciting violence'

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2021 12:04 AM

"But WHY would police plant evidence ON VIDEO? With WITNESSES? Again?! It's all SUCH a mystery!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote]Doesn't "keeping someone from general population" basically means solitary confinement?

No. It likely means he gets his own cell, private showering/eating, and can interact with others but not close enough for anyone to hurt him. For some inmates that can be isolating, but for someone like Chauvin it will be exactly what he wants.

Solitary confinement means no interaction with anyone, no going outside, and confined to a near-total enclosure as much as 23 hours a day. It's a brutal punishment and a world of difference from protective custody.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2021 12:15 AM

I hope business owners across the country are boarding up. The looting and torching are going to last for a while.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2021 12:18 AM

When do the riots start?

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 12:47 AM

We heard you the first 429,395,134 times, r58

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2021 1:03 AM

r60 just wait until the riots start. That's all DL will be talking about.

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2021 1:12 AM

That’s, 429,395,135 times, r61.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 1:22 AM

I don’t want this asshole in jail. I want someone to kneel on his neck until he croaks.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 1:23 AM

The longer this verdict takes to come out, the more likely there will be a hung jury. I originally thought they'd acquit because the jury pool was racist White people and/or those with relatives on the pig force, but it sounds like at least one juror is a hard convict and the others, except maybe one hold out, are soft convicts. They are probably not going to be able to reconcile such a wide divide, so this isn't going to end well. The judge being a racist piece of shit doesn't help matters either.

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2021 1:24 AM

It's already begun.

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minnesota National Guard neighborhood security team says it was fired upon in a drive-by shooting early Sunday morning, with two guard members sustaining minor injuries.

The shooting occurred shortly before 4:20 a.m. in the Jordan neighborhood near the intersection of Penn Avenue and Broadway in northwest Minneapolis. According to a statement from the guard, a light-colored SUV fired several shots at a Minnesota Operation Safety Net team. Operation Safety Net is a joint effort among the Minneapolis Police Department, Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, the State of Minnesota and local jurisdictions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 1:24 AM

^ The guard shouldn't even be there. If they had any ethics, they'd turn their guns on the police and the legislature that enables this racist system to stand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 1:26 AM

His only hope was to testify...my friend, a lawyer, said a juror once told him to tell his just acquitted murder client “tell him we won’t let him get away with this again.” Jurors can be forgiving...law be damned

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] The guard shouldn't even be there.

Oh FUCK YOU. You may want anarchy and looting and violence, but most people do not. They don't want their neighborhoods to turn into downtown Caracas.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2021 1:29 AM

MN state police are assaulting and falsely arresting journalists, and the Boogaloo Bois are the only ones who have threatened riots after the Floyd verdict, but the deplorable trolls are just spinning nonstop garbage about the riots if Chauvin is acquitted.

The Black community in MN and elsewhere are not expecting a guilty verdict because they know the system too well, and they are not going to riot any more than they did after Zimmerman's acquittal (of course the racists lied and said they rioted anyway).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 1:37 AM

"Police have been caught doing all kinds of heinous shit on video."

But there's an arrest every 3 seconds in the United States- so what percentage are 'bad cops'? And is it any different than any other profession?

by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2021 1:47 AM

As a Minneapolis resident I think the Guard presence is sad but necessary. I don't want to see the city burn again. The looting is absurd. The anger needs to be channeled into political change, but it's unlikely, they just want to be destructive. Then, when no businesses want to open in their neighborhoods they bitch about that too.

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2021 1:58 AM

Businesses won't open because of rampant theft.

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2021 2:01 AM

If you're going to torch, Minneapolis, burn down Kenwood, Lynnhurst, Page, Fulton, etc. That'll get their attention. Make sure to burn down their secret closets full of white sheets and pointy white hats, too.

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2021 2:15 AM

Nobody wants to live in an anarchist ghetto society.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote]White House Press Secretary REFUSES to condemn Maxine Waters for telling BLM to be 'more confrontational' while Pelosi insists Waters shouldn't apologize because she 'wasn't inciting violence'

And her comments will mean an automatic appeal if he is found guilty. No judge will be able to deny the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2021 2:22 AM

Whomever did the poll..it isn’t one or the other...he can be found guilty on all 3 charges

by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2021 3:00 AM

I can't believe they didn't come back with a verdict today. Now I'm getting very nervous. Hopefully they simply decided to wait until tomorrow to turn over the verdict since they'd already had such a long day. I won't sleep a wink.

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2021 3:12 AM

R75 Nixon said that Charles Manson was guilty and yet the verdict was not overturned on appeal and he was the president. Maxine is a congresswoman who is not in a leadership position. For a judge to overturn a verdict and declare a mistrial for her statement alone would be an injustice worth seeing the country burn over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 20, 2021 3:13 AM

I hope the National guard shoots every single person that tries to loot and destroy in the aftermath of the verdict.

by Anonymousreply 79April 20, 2021 3:14 AM

Nixon wasn't nudging an army of thugs and anarchists to burn the city if they didn't like the Manson verdict. As it is those jurors must be sleeping with a gun by the bed.

by Anonymousreply 80April 20, 2021 3:20 AM

Maxine needs to retire.

“Even though the judge denied the defense's motion for mistrial, he highlighted the damage her rhetoric may have done, saying "Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned."

by Anonymousreply 81April 20, 2021 3:27 AM

Maxine Waters just screwed this up. Even if convicted the judge said she gave the defense grounds for appeal. I can't believe a judge said that in the court.

by Anonymousreply 82April 20, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote] [R75] Nixon said that Charles Manson was guilty and yet the verdict was not overturned on appeal and he was the president.

Manson himself was the one who displayed the newspaper (with Nixon says guilty headline) in court. If someone else had displayed it, maybe the outcome would have been different. He was trying to create a mistrial and shouldn't be rewarded for that.

by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2021 3:35 AM

R82 he said may and experts called b.s. on it ...trump commented on it while he was in...they have freedom of speech

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2021 3:45 AM

[quote] I can't believe a judge said that in the court.

Even a judge can state the obvious.

And yes I had forgotten it was Charlie himself who gave that information to the jury. The jury had been sequestered and would not have seen this headline without Charlie;s own action.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2021 3:47 AM

During a trial the behavior of The Mob is judged at a higher standard.

by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2021 3:48 AM

Charles Manson was a true POS.

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2021 3:51 AM

Steve Schleicher can get it.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2021 3:54 AM

My guess is Judge Cahill is a MAGAt. He was appointed to the bench in 2007 by the former Republican governor, Tim Pawlenty

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2021 4:17 AM

"Now I'm getting very nervous."

Gee, you're taking it all so personal and serious. How will the verdict change your life?

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2021 5:22 AM

I'd love to have sex with Chauvin.

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2021 5:23 AM

Me too r77

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2021 8:58 AM

Well drawn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2021 10:13 AM

There is absolutely zero chance of a mistrial's being declared over a remark, however incautious, of a politician below the position of POTUS.

And even Nixon's "verdict" was insufficient cause.

The Chauvin trial judge was waaay out of line in HIS comment, a blatant attempt to help the defense. HE SHOULD HAVE PREVIOUSLY SEQUESTERED THE JURY.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2021 10:26 AM

R90, Do you not live in this society?

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2021 10:28 AM

A hung jury isn't a mistrial, r11.

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2021 10:30 AM

Derek Chauvin imposed the death penalty on a man suspected of the victimless crime of passing a fake $20 bill---the proof of which charge is absent, a fact lost in the case.

IOW, from the git-go the three cops (3!) were disproportionately aggressive for the alleged crime.

This episode ended with Chauvin's racist rage-killing, albeit he presented a preternatural nonchalance, of a subdued and scared man, a Black man calling for his mother, hoping helplessly that his White oppressor (literally) would ease up to let him breathe.

A man knowing he was being slowly murdered. MURDERED. DEAD. ERASED FROM THIS EARTH.

Over a fake $20.

And yet there are some here, either by post or approval, who side with Chauvin.

Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2021 10:43 AM

And to hammer my point home a tad more: Derek Chauvin had a Black man humiliatingly in his power, and HE DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE UP THAT THRILL.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2021 10:47 AM

r97 I have probably blocked 14 or 16 trolls on these threads. I suspect some are using sock puppets.

Punch, delete, block, don't engage.

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2021 10:49 AM

R63 Jail is no fun and it’s years and years and years...

by Anonymousreply 100April 20, 2021 12:23 PM

R98 but according to Robin di Angelo, white people have black people in their power all day, every day....it’s a powerfest of privilege and easy living for all white people!

by Anonymousreply 101April 20, 2021 12:25 PM

R93 they definitely captured Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 102April 20, 2021 12:26 PM

Honestly, I thought they’d deliberate for an hour or two at most.

by Anonymousreply 103April 20, 2021 12:28 PM

How long have they deliberated so far? When do they reconvene today?

by Anonymousreply 104April 20, 2021 12:34 PM

[Quote] Gee, you're taking it all so personal and serious. How will the verdict change your life?

🤔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 20, 2021 12:46 PM

I think he is guilty but can you get 12 jurors to agree. Its not like Chauvin is a young black kid from a gang.6 black jurors will vote guilty but how many of the 6 white jurors can you get.

by Anonymousreply 106April 20, 2021 12:49 PM

Aside from lying about what she actually said,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2021 1:28 PM

Could they deliberate for 9 hours 29 mins

by Anonymousreply 108April 20, 2021 4:13 PM

How long have they been deliberating?

by Anonymousreply 109April 20, 2021 4:17 PM

I believe the jury will find Chauvin guilty of something but do not be surprised if they take some time. To me, the argument will be which charges apply—second or third degree murder. So don’t be surprised if they take several days—no doubt in my mind he’s guilty and it’s beyond a reasonable doubt.

by Anonymousreply 110April 20, 2021 4:18 PM

r41, dunno cops aren't really liked in prison. They are seperated.

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2021 5:15 PM

R111, If Oz has taught me anything is that you can still poison a cop in their special block---and Chris Malone with fuck me too.

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2021 5:45 PM

^^Chris Meloni

by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2021 5:46 PM

Chris Meloni’s ass...we need a mention of it to break the tension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2021 6:04 PM

The reich is really going into a conniption over this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 20, 2021 6:08 PM

R111 "state corrections" refers to the corrections officers. They will protect Chauvin.

by Anonymousreply 116April 20, 2021 6:11 PM

I hoped they'd have returned a verdict by now ...

by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2021 6:27 PM

Here I thought my prediction of Thursday was risky!

The verdict is being announced in one hour, r117!

by Anonymousreply 118April 20, 2021 7:34 PM

Omg r118!! Thanks

by Anonymousreply 119April 20, 2021 7:35 PM

Verdict soon!

by Anonymousreply 120April 20, 2021 7:37 PM

Chauvin's toast.

by Anonymousreply 121April 20, 2021 7:38 PM

Man, I forget what they say if it's fast like this. Guilty? Hopefully not just manslaughter...

by Anonymousreply 122April 20, 2021 7:46 PM

R122 Yeah, usually a fast verdict is guilty, but we’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 123April 20, 2021 7:48 PM

Less than a half day they reached a verdict and its not a hung jury and half the jury is black only means one thing. But will he be found guilty on all charges?

by Anonymousreply 124April 20, 2021 7:48 PM

Like the old saying goes I hope they "throw the book at him".

by Anonymousreply 125April 20, 2021 7:50 PM

The judge’s point was that the jury may have been influenced by Maxine’s comments. She encouraged people to “get confrontational” if the verdict wasn’t guilty. The jury wasn’t sequestered at that time and could have been influenced by her. Nobody can prove that they weren’t. It’s enough to get an appeal.

by Anonymousreply 126April 20, 2021 7:53 PM

Chauvin is shitting his pants right now.

by Anonymousreply 127April 20, 2021 7:56 PM

Good r127.

by Anonymousreply 128April 20, 2021 7:56 PM

Actually it’s a pretty thin basis for an appeal R126

by Anonymousreply 129April 20, 2021 7:57 PM

Is there a bigger fucking drama queen than CNN’s Sara Sidner?

Her “I know something you don’t know” style of reporting is juvenile and shit stirring.

by Anonymousreply 130April 20, 2021 7:57 PM

The verdict had to be unaminous and you just know that the juror that was so upset at the beginning of the trial isn't going with anything but guilty.

by Anonymousreply 131April 20, 2021 8:01 PM

OJ jury deliberated quickly too but I’m cautiously optimistic

by Anonymousreply 132April 20, 2021 8:04 PM

If it were a hung jury, would it follow this procedure or would they just send a note to the judge?

by Anonymousreply 133April 20, 2021 8:05 PM

R126, Works both ways: Nobody can prove that they were influenced.

Guess which they'd each swear to.

That particular appeal would be dismissed post-haste. They also could hear comments by innumerable others.

by Anonymousreply 134April 20, 2021 8:06 PM

While we wait, please enjoy this video of a cockatoo dancing to MJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 20, 2021 8:08 PM

r132 completely unrelated to Chauvin, but: I recently read about the abuse Nicole suffered at OJ's hands. I knew she'd been a abused, but holy fuck, it was brutal.

I still can't believe he got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 136April 20, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]If it were a hung jury, would it follow this procedure or would they just send a note to the judge?

The jury wouldn’t be hung after less than a day. The judge would have told them to continue deliberating.

by Anonymousreply 137April 20, 2021 8:09 PM

R133 A hung jury doesn't reach a verdict.

by Anonymousreply 138April 20, 2021 8:10 PM

R135, That bird is the bomb! 😄

by Anonymousreply 139April 20, 2021 8:11 PM

Thank you to those who responded re a hung jury.

I knew that, but my nerves have been on edge worrying that he won’t be held accountable.

by Anonymousreply 140April 20, 2021 8:21 PM

R136, I'll digress with you. The police, the Garcetti justice dept, and in particular Marcia Clark made too many blunders: lack of careful handling and chain of evidence; no immediate interrogation of Simpson; allowing the car chase; no change of venue; misguided jury selection; insufficient prep of witnesses (Fuhrman and Fung), plus eliminating the one key witness who was passed in her car that evening by a speeding OJ, Jill Shively, because she sold her story to a tabloid; too many prosecutors in the broth; mind-numbing DNA testimony; unfocused closing argument.

And more.

by Anonymousreply 141April 20, 2021 8:24 PM

The jury was sequestered during the trial and could watch the news everyday. So just because Maxine Waters says something one day doesn't mean they would be influenced by her any more than they could have by other items in the news including the cops that killed other black men during that time.

by Anonymousreply 142April 20, 2021 8:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 20, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote]The jury was sequestered during the trial and could watch the news everyday.

The jury was not sequestered. They went to their own homes every night and could watch TV or go to the store or talk to relatives. They only became sequestered yesterday after closing arguments.

by Anonymousreply 144April 20, 2021 8:37 PM

The jury could have taken Maxine’s statement as a threat. She basically told people to riot (“get confrontational”) if the jury didn’t deliver the verdict they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 145April 20, 2021 8:40 PM

Is Vlad Boebert Jr in every damn thread?

by Anonymousreply 146April 20, 2021 8:41 PM

R145 You don’t think the jurors knew the potential consequences of their verdicts going in?

by Anonymousreply 147April 20, 2021 8:41 PM

OH, MY GOD!!

by Anonymousreply 148April 20, 2021 8:43 PM

[quote] They went to their own homes every night and could watch TV or go to the store or talk to relatives.

Or watch Tucker Carlson, or read tweets by Jack Posobiec or read the NYPost.

[quote] She basically told people to riot (“get confrontational”) if the jury didn’t deliver the verdict they wanted.

I pray sometime in my lifetime we arrive at a place where the assumption of Black people having agency is not presumed as inherently violent.

by Anonymousreply 149April 20, 2021 8:44 PM

R148 posted in the wrong thread. I was reacting to the Queen's writing-paper news.

by Anonymousreply 150April 20, 2021 8:45 PM

Is the Cartoon Network covering this because CNN and MSNBC are getting on my last nerve?

by Anonymousreply 151April 20, 2021 8:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2021 9:07 PM

GOTCHA!

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2021 9:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2021 9:08 PM

GUILTY, ALL COUNTS.

by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2021 9:08 PM

FUCK YES.

by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2021 9:09 PM

Chauvin looks shocked, ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2021 9:09 PM

Remanded to custody. Bwahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 158April 20, 2021 9:10 PM

Quick and clean.

by Anonymousreply 159April 20, 2021 9:10 PM

Putting your knee on ANYONE's neck that long will kill them.

The end.

Glad the nonsense Chauvin's reps were spewing was ignored.

by Anonymousreply 160April 20, 2021 9:10 PM

Thank god.

Well done American justice.

by Anonymousreply 161April 20, 2021 9:12 PM

Thank God for Darnella Frazier the young lady who filmed it. If she hadn’t, Chauvin could have gotten off.

I hope she finds peace.

by Anonymousreply 162April 20, 2021 9:13 PM

Carry your phones everywhere, people.

by Anonymousreply 163April 20, 2021 9:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 20, 2021 9:15 PM

Yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 20, 2021 9:16 PM

R165 Doonesbury!!

by Anonymousreply 166April 20, 2021 9:17 PM

He was calm as could be, because his team would have warned him that for the cameras and BLM racists he would be found guilty, but they will appeal and he will pretty much get away with it, might even get a nice sum from the government for the trauma of a public trial.

by Anonymousreply 167April 20, 2021 9:18 PM

ROT IN HELL is trending on Twitter

by Anonymousreply 168April 20, 2021 9:18 PM

So will this verdict be sufficient to prevent rioting?

by Anonymousreply 169April 20, 2021 9:19 PM

R167 you’re either batshit crazy or... yeah batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 170April 20, 2021 9:20 PM

Wow. Your poll didn’t anticipate guilty in all three counts. The prosecution did an A+ job.

by Anonymousreply 171April 20, 2021 9:20 PM

Seeing a video of a man tortured to death along with the compelling testimony of the bystanders was not denied by the jury. Good job.

by Anonymousreply 172April 20, 2021 9:21 PM

GUILTY, MOFO!! FINALLY SOME JUSTICE

by Anonymousreply 173April 20, 2021 9:23 PM

Kyle Griffin

[quote] Darnella Frazier was just a 17-year-old taking her 9-year-old cousin out for snacks when she stopped and filmed Derek Chauvin kneeling on George Floyd's neck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 20, 2021 9:23 PM

Was it worth it though? Is Darnella really a hero? So much destruction and horror resulted from this incident.

by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2021 9:25 PM

I’m relieved. An OJ type not guilt would have been a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 176April 20, 2021 9:28 PM

The "destruction and horror" was the MURDER of George Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 177April 20, 2021 9:30 PM

Nah, the destruction was done to Georges body by the drugs he took and the horror was what that pregnant woman felt when he threatened her.

by Anonymousreply 178April 20, 2021 9:32 PM

Racist cops better watch their step. We're all watching you.

by Anonymousreply 179April 20, 2021 9:32 PM

You need to seek help and spiritual guidance when even Judge Jeanine thinks you're full of shit, R175

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 20, 2021 9:34 PM

All Chauvin had to do was ease up.

Not even GET up; just ease up.

But he shoved his hands further down into his pockets and leaned forward, lifting his heel for more applied weight.

Chauvin will, if he hasn't yet, rue the day.

by Anonymousreply 181April 20, 2021 9:35 PM

Derek Chauvin’s freedom is dead to me! Where do I celebrate?? 🍰 🍾 🇺🇸

by Anonymousreply 182April 20, 2021 9:38 PM

More from Judge Juicebox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183April 20, 2021 9:40 PM

What's on Chauvin's confiscated iPod?

by Anonymousreply 184April 20, 2021 9:46 PM

Courts/judges are less likely to overturn a verdict when it is returned by a jury. Chauvin is DEAD MEAT ON A STICK.

☠️ 🍖

by Anonymousreply 185April 20, 2021 9:47 PM

R185 he’s going to become a DLer that doesn’t use DL.

by Anonymousreply 186April 20, 2021 9:48 PM

Seeing Chauvin handcuffed gave me a rush.

by Anonymousreply 187April 20, 2021 9:49 PM

This r184

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 20, 2021 9:49 PM

✊🏿 ✊🏾 ✊🏽

by Anonymousreply 189April 20, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]Seeing Chauvin handcuffed gave me a rush. —Anonymous

I came.

by Anonymousreply 190April 20, 2021 9:56 PM

R190 Derek probably shit himself.

by Anonymousreply 191April 20, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]What's on Chauvin's confiscated iPod?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 20, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote] Wow. Your poll didn’t anticipate guilty in all three counts. The prosecution did an A+ job.

That's not how Defarto operates. His threads automatically assume the fault of anyone who isn't white. He likes to blame the victim.

Defarto has been bitch slapped. Again.

by Anonymousreply 193April 20, 2021 10:08 PM

R130 I'm more concerned with her hair-is it real or straightened or matted? Looks like a dead cat on her head.

by Anonymousreply 194April 20, 2021 10:13 PM

R193 I’m the OP and I’m not that asshole. I did the poll in about 8 seconds as an afterthought to posting thread 3. And I’m very happy Chauvin was guilty on all charges!

by Anonymousreply 195April 20, 2021 10:14 PM

Congratulations to the jurors for not having their homes firebombed tonight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196April 20, 2021 10:25 PM

You have no idea how fucking offensive you are,196.

by Anonymousreply 197April 20, 2021 10:29 PM

Next time we see him he'll be wearing a different suit.

by Anonymousreply 198April 20, 2021 10:30 PM

Sadly, I agree with what Judge Jeanine said at R183.

by Anonymousreply 199April 20, 2021 11:12 PM

I already had r196 blocked, r197

by Anonymousreply 200April 20, 2021 11:19 PM

Thank God. I really can't think of a more open and shut case than this. It was on video. Multiple nearby people nearby were yelling "He's dying!" "You're killing him!". Floyd was unconscious and unmoving for 2 and a half minutes while Chauvin kept kneeling on him.

If this didn't result in a conviction, nothing ever would have. I'm glad this country isn't completely hopeless

by Anonymousreply 201April 20, 2021 11:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 21, 2021 12:14 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 21, 2021 1:07 AM

R200 I had 196 blocked too!

by Anonymousreply 204April 21, 2021 1:07 AM

And now r196 is redlined r204!

by Anonymousreply 205April 21, 2021 1:08 AM

Oracle Maxine Waters was correct. Chauvin is guilty, guilty, guilty.

by Anonymousreply 206April 21, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] Makiyah called the police because someone in her house was abusing her. She went on to say that police saw a knife on the ground near Makiyah and shot the teenager four times.

[quote] A woman identified as Tay Jones wrote on Facebook that she had witnessed the shooting and posted video purportedly from the scene. She said the 15-year-old had a knife “because somebody tried to jump her.” The white police officer who shot her never told her to put down the knife, according to Jones.

[quote] The killing occurred just as the verdict was being announced in the murder trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. Chauvin was found guilty on all three counts in the death of George Floyd, an unarmed, 46-year-old Black man, in May 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207April 21, 2021 1:18 AM

The look on Chauvin’s face while he has knee on Floyd’s neck says it all. Calm, smug and chilling.

by Anonymousreply 208April 21, 2021 1:19 AM

Chauvin was posing for the cameras, kneeling on Floyd like he was a big game hunter who just took down his prey, so proud of himself.

by Anonymousreply 209April 21, 2021 5:57 AM

On CNN this morning they said that he probably won't get the maximum sentence of 40 years or anything close to that. They think the judge will probably decide to give him a sentence between 10-15 years. WTF? If he's eligible for parole, could he possibly be out after 5-7 years? Again WTF? I thought he would stay in prison for decades.

by Anonymousreply 210April 21, 2021 10:18 AM

It should have been first degree murder. Premeditated, deliberate. He clearly had it in for Floyd beforehand and just seized his opportunity, trusting that the stereotype of the brave white cop protecting America from the hordes of color would provide cover for him.

by Anonymousreply 211April 21, 2021 10:37 AM

R211 I think you're right but that would have been much harder to prove in court. I think the prosecutors picked the charges well and completely nailed this. I was impressed with all of them throughout the trial.

by Anonymousreply 212April 21, 2021 11:22 AM

More like this, r188:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 21, 2021 11:53 AM

I wonder if it's true that Chauvin wanted a plea deal, but Barr talked him out of it. Is Chauvin that dumb? It's not as if Trump could have pardoned him for state charges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 21, 2021 12:28 PM

The cops who were with Chauvin will go on trial in August.

by Anonymousreply 215April 21, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote]I wonder if it's true that Chauvin wanted a plea deal, but Barr talked him out of it. Is Chauvin that dumb? It's not as if Trump could have pardoned him for state charges.

I believe the prosecutors wouldn’t offer a plea bargain, because they were confident they could get a conviction on more serious charges.

by Anonymousreply 216April 21, 2021 2:22 PM

R210, Then the CNN geniuses are asses.

THREE "Guilty" verdicts---virtually no hesitancy, no questions to the judge, no seeking definitions---will NOT move this judge to any leniency WHATSOEVER. [See: Remand, Immediate]

Chauvin will be given a sentence commensurate with his crime, his callousness during, and its societal impact and not necessarily including Minnesota sentencing precedent.

Chauvin's max is 40 years. Precedent (no prior convictions) is 12.5 years.

I think the judge will give less and more: 25 years.

Where he will set parole eligibility, no clue.

by Anonymousreply 217April 21, 2021 5:03 PM

R214, r216 is right. The Plea offer was from Chauvin’s lawyers. Both state and federal prosecutors nixed it. Barr couldn’t have done the deal anyway without agreement from the state.

by Anonymousreply 218April 21, 2021 5:53 PM

Even if the judge is conservative, he ran a tight ship during the trial. I think there is no way Chauvin gets only 15 years for second degree murder, knowing he’s eligible for parole as well. I agree, r217. 25 years to life is my prediction.

by Anonymousreply 219April 21, 2021 5:55 PM

If Floyd had not resisted arrest, he'd be alive- and Chauvin would be home. Though Floyd's many health problems (heart disease, severely blocked arteries, a tumor, cigarette smoker, drug addiction(s)...) made him probably not long for this earth at age 46 (his father died at age 53).

The content of his character... Remember this before they start naming parks, statues, scholarships, bills, laws, etc. after him. Perhaps the Floyd family would like to share some of their $27 million jackpot with his victims? Or the five children he never $upported?: "Floyd was sentenced to prison 5 times. In 1998 he was convicted of theft and sentenced to 10 months in prison. In 1999 he was again convicted of theft with a firearm and sentenced to another 10-month prison term. In 2002 he was sentenced to an 8-month prison term for cocaine possession with intent to sell. A second cocaine charge in 2004 resulted in another 10-month sentence. 2005 brought another cocaine offense a 10-month sentence on conviction. In 2007 he committed his most serious crime, a home invasion, and armed robbery. Floyd and 5 fellow gang members broke into a home and held a 7-month pregnant woman at gunpoint while ransacking the house looking for drugs and money. Floyd held the gun, while his companions pistol whipped her. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison in 2009 for aggravated robbery in 2009. He was released in late 2013."

by Anonymousreply 220April 21, 2021 6:27 PM

R220, George Floyd could have been Satan himself, and what happened that day is still a crime committed by an asshole police officer. Fuck off with your blaming the victim.

by Anonymousreply 221April 21, 2021 6:31 PM

R220

Trial...conviction...sentence served.

Detainment...torture...murder in the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 222April 21, 2021 6:32 PM

R220 His health problems don't make a difference. All that means is he was easier to murder, not that he wasn't murdered.

by Anonymousreply 223April 21, 2021 6:42 PM

Has the Minneapolis mayor been seen crying yet after the verdict?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224April 21, 2021 6:42 PM

According to the NYT, Chauvin is currently in solitary confinement for his own safety. This means he has to stay in his cell 23h a day with 1h outside (usually in a cage so they can't hurt anyone). Like I said upthread, solitary confinement is basically torture. I wonder if he'll spend the rest of his time there or if he'll get the luxury treatment someone mentioned earlier.

by Anonymousreply 225April 21, 2021 9:36 PM

R220, I recommend researching that "pregnant woman" story a bit further.

by Anonymousreply 226April 22, 2021 2:28 AM

Oh, and r220?

Of George Floyd and Derek Chauvin, which man is the CONVICTED MURDERER?

by Anonymousreply 227April 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Chauvin didn't show up the scene with Floyd's bio. He saw a random black man and decided to kneel on him for 10 minutes. It didn't matter what he or anyone else has done. There was no reason for the cop to play judge, jury and executioner.

by Anonymousreply 228April 22, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote] Hazel Bryant, who said she is Bryant’s aunt, told The Washington Post in a brief interview Wednesday that “the body cam doesn’t show the truth of what occurred.” She said she didn’t personally witness the incident but arrived at the scene soon after. She described her niece as “so loving and kind.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 22, 2021 3:00 AM

Anyone who is as invested as r220 is in destroying a torture/murder victim's character is not worth the attention he/she is getting on this board.

Put it on ignore and let them bitch and scream into the void.

by Anonymousreply 230April 23, 2021 5:42 AM

R230, I’ve had r220 on ignore for awhile. Typical Dump ass licker who loves blaming the (black) victim. I’m sure he has a teeny tiny wiener and is scared to death that he’s becoming obsolete. (And a minority.)

by Anonymousreply 231April 23, 2021 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!