Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Songs that mention other songs

Madonna’s Cherish

Mashed Potato Time

Land of a Thousand Dances (indirectly, only because Watusi and Mashed Potato were part of song titles).

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2021 2:25 AM

Forgot link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 6:18 PM

Noel Coward's Nina references Cole Porter's Begin the Beguine:

She refused to Begin The Beguine when they requested it

And she made an embarrassing scene if anyone suggested it

For she detested it

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 6:22 PM

Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream" -- "me and Del were singin' little Runaway"

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 6:23 PM

Madonna's Music mentions the Beatles' Yesterday

[quote]Don't think of yesterday and I don't look at the clock I like to boogie-woogie, uh, uh

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 6:25 PM

We Got The Beat - The Go-Go's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 6:42 PM

R2 "Under the Sea" from THE LITTLE MERMAID also references "Begin the Beguine."

♪ Under the sea, under the sea

When the sardine begin the beguine

It's music to me ♫

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 6:46 PM

Do You Love Me

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 6:57 PM

The Beatles - "Glass Onion"

mentions "Strawberry Fields Forever", "I Am the Walrus", "Lady Madonna", "The Fool on the Hill", and "Fixing a Hole"

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 6:57 PM

Would "Let's Twist Again" count? I feel like we could fill this thread with songs about dances that were named after songs.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 7:02 PM

Eminem's Stan mentions Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight," although he bumbles the meaning behind it.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 7:02 PM

Here ya go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 7:04 PM

R8 I remember when I was 10 years old in 1990 browsing through my parents old albums from the '60s and '70s. As I was looking at a Beatles one, the song "Lady Madonna" caught my eye. I turned to my mom and asked, "How old is Madonna?" She laughed and explained that they were referring to Mary, mother of Jesus. I still didn't get it until many years later.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 7:05 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama scornfully names Neil Young's Southern Man.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 7:05 PM

"American Pie" has several song references.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 7:06 PM

I don't know her, but WE BELONG TOGETHER references a Bobby Womack song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 7:13 PM

ONJ's "The Rumour" (written by Elton john & Bernie Taupin) mentions "Georgia on my Mind."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 7:17 PM

George Harrison's tribute song for John Lennon, "All Those Years Ago", mentions both "All You Need is Love" and "Imagine".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 8:31 PM

More Beatles you say? Ok! "Savoy Truffle" mentions "Obla-Di, Obla-Da"

Also, Prince references "Help Me" by Joni Mitchell in the song "Ballad of Dorothy Parker"

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 8:34 PM

Dancefloor, Tracey Thorn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 8:41 PM

And speaking of Joni Mitchell, her "In France They Kiss On Main Street" mentions both "Do You Want to Dance?" by Bobby Freeman and "Bye Bye Love" by the Everly Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 8:43 PM

Nicki Minaj Chun Li

I mean I been Storm, X-Men been formed He keep on dialing Nicki, like the Prince song

And not that ii is a song, but I always find it fascinating Prince got Purple Rain from America’s Ventura Highway.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 8:59 PM

Jimmy Eat World - The Authority Song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 9:02 PM

In Joni Mitchell's Chinese Cafe, she mentions the lyrics to Carole King's Will You Love Me Tomorrow:

Down at the Chinese Cafe

We'd be dreaming on our dimes

We'd be playing "You give your love, so sweetly"

One more time

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 9:02 PM

.....and the jukebox kept on playing Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Johnny Rivers - Summer Rain.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 9:19 PM

"On the Radio" by Regina Spektor: "On the radio you hear 'November Rain'/That solo's awful long, but it's a good refrain/You listen to it twice, 'cause the DJ is asleep..."

"Wednesday" by Tori Amos: "I start humming 'When Doves Cry'..."

"All the King's Horses" by Ana Silvera: "How we'd wander the city and kiss in the lanes/And dance by the lamplight to 'Lili Marleen'..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 9:42 PM

George Harrison - "When We Was Fab"

Mentions "You Really Got a Hold on Me" (The Miracles) and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 9:51 PM

Famous pedophile Jonathan King’s “He’s So Fine”(with a My Sweet Lord arrangement) has his back-up vocalists sing the names of a few of George Harrison’s compositions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 10:11 PM

Take me home tonight

I don't wanna let you go 'til you see the light

Take me home tonight

Listen, honey, just like Ronnie sang

Be my little baby.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 10:42 PM

Train, "Hey, Soul Sister":

I believe in you, like a virgin you're Madonna

And I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 10:54 PM

T. Rex's "Get It On (Bang A Gong). References Chuck Berry's song "Little Queenie" in the fadeout, when Bolan says (quoting from that song) "And meanwhile, I'm still thinking".

Sugarloaf's "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You", plays the riff from the Beatles' "I Feel Fine" after the lyric has the A&R man telling them they sound like John, Paul, and George.

Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire" mentions the song "Rock Around The Clock".

Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" mentions "Sweet Home Alabama".

Golden Earring's "Radar Love" mentions Brenda Lee's "Coming On Strong".

Alannah Myles' "Black Velvet", about Elvis, mentions "Love Me Tender".

But Don McLean's "American Pie" probably takes the prize, since it namechecks so many performers and songs, starting with the Monotones' "Book of Love".

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 11:22 PM

"Mama's Opry" by Iris DeMent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 11:30 PM

^ Iris's chorus is a pastiche from her mother's favorite gospel songs - a very well written use of songs by others.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 11:31 PM

Kitty Wells's "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" mentions - and refutes - "The Wild Side of Life" by Hank Thompson. And she does it from the perspective of a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 11:33 PM

Candi Staton’s disco song “Victim” references her other (bigger) song: I told you Young Hearts Run Free, when I didn’t listen to myself...

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 11:46 PM

"Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)", which climbed the pop charts again in 1987 after being featured in Dirty Dancing, includes the lyric

I can Mashed Potato I can do The Twist Oh now, tell me, Baby Do ya like it like this?

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2021 12:58 AM

70's cult prog-folk outfit Barclay James Harvest once released a song called "Titles", the lyrics of which consisted almost exclusively of Beatles song titles.

The Long and Winding Road, All You Need is Love, Lady Madonna, Let it Be, Something, Yesterday, Across the Universe, One After 909, I've Got a Feeling, For You Blue, I Feel Fine.

It also includes a musical motif from A Day in the Life, which isn't mentioned in the lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2021 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!