Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Career Path Would You Chose?

I am young and have a few options to pick from. Which would you do- why/why not?

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 10:50 PM

ugh, ugh, ugh!

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 6:02 PM

Do banking/brokerage/insurance for a couple years, then go to law school, then get into banking, broker-dealer or insurance law. these niche areas where it is hard to find a specialized area will help you develop a level of specialty where you. can ask for more money, be in demand

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 6:05 PM

*specialized attorney, i meant to say

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 6:05 PM

Hell's Kitchen whore would pay more.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 6:09 PM

Rent boy never crossed your mind?

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 6:11 PM

well they will all pay alot, but at the same time they all seem extremely boring! imagine day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade doing this type of work! 1/3 or more of your life spent working it better be a job or career that you care about, you have interest in, that you do NOT dread and so on....

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 6:12 PM

Good lord! How did you come up with these choices?

Speaking as a former/recovering lawyer (I practiced for 25 years before taking early retirement), I can't caution you strongly enough about pursuing law unless it's your absolute passion. If you must practice, sign on with a smaller firm, with a goal of having your own one day.

If I could do it over again, I would find be a veterinarian or have some job working with animals; I find them nicer than people in so many ways. I would worry less about perception or money, and more about what I really wanted to do.

But I can't do it over again. And you don't need to. Make a good choice (for you, uniquely) the first time.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 6:16 PM

I work in a “creative” freelance field. I love what I do and I’m very good at it, but steady work and steady money aren’t a sure thing - never were. Now, in my late fifties my lawyer friends all confess envy at what I have done, but frankly they have more than enough money for retirement and I know I won’t have enough. But even at this stage, and knowing what I know I still don’t regret my choices, my seventies may be rough however.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 6:28 PM

I said law. Even if you don't practice, it is a training in thinking that will serve you well throughout a career.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 6:38 PM

Just don't become a teacher. I used to scoff when older teachers said this; now I understand.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 6:40 PM

Lawyers are a mostly unhappy bunch.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 6:41 PM

I am in my mid twenties. I am in talks to do all.

Not trying to brag, but a few lawyers, financial advisors, and bankers in my city have told me I would be great at their jobs. They are trying to recruit me for their businesses. I have always thought of law school, but was unable to attend after college. Currently, I work part time for a failing independent financial advisory firm. I have my insurance license. I hate my current firm.

I got into a decent law school in San Antonio, Texas. I plan to stay in Texas, but unsure if law school is a good financial investment given I do not have a lot of money to live off of right now. The Managing Director of the Morgan Stanley branch in my city just left to start her own firm and likes me a lot. I could work with her, but it is almost all commission since it is independent. At the same time, JP Morgan Chase is recruiting me to work for them as a private banker (it starts at $45-50 plus commission and bonuses).

My thoughts are to try to work at JPM for a year and defer law school. That way, I will have a year to save, save, save and take as little loans as possible. If law school does not work out, I could have a financial cushion to go work with the MD from Morgan Stanley as my own advisor.

Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 6:45 PM

Amongst those options -- harakiri

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 6:48 PM

The lower four can all be done one after another.

OP, you write walls of text nobody reads and you get bitchy whenever anyone tries to give advice. I think you should be a lawyer on behalf of poor people.

Shut up and do it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 6:50 PM

Why not go to UT Law? It is a good school.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 6:50 PM

Hudson U is a wonderful, if problematic option too also.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 6:52 PM

Go to law school - I know plenty of lawyers who aren't particularly bright and they make a decent living, even with degrees from Tier 3 schools. Make money and save up, you can always puruse a passion once you have made your nut.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 6:56 PM

R15 I do not have the grades for that ha R14 just trying to explain the situation and analyze every potential angle. Also do not want to take out more of a loan than I have to. R17 I always wanted to be a lawyer, but it is not my passion. My career goal is to be able to take off to travel and not worry about finances.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 6:57 PM

OnlyFans Hoe.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 6:59 PM

I voted "none of the above" but if your intent is to do one of those, then choose law school, because it allows for more options (e.g. big firm, little firm, independent, specialize in particular type of law, do court trials, or work behind the scenes, research, enter politics .. lol! .. and you can basically go where you want to geographically with it).

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 7:02 PM

Law is dead. If you're going to do it, then get a science degree and at least be able to be a patent lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 7:09 PM

I am an attorney who graduated from a tier 3 law school. I graduated in the top 10% and found a job almost immediately. I work in the public sector and make low six figures and am quite comfortable and will get a pension and many other good benefits when I retire. The private sector firms would not have considered me, but I never really would have been interested in their bs work environment.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 7:14 PM

Definitely not law. Do JP Morgan. A major financial firm on your resume is always a good thing - no matter what you do ultimately. The experience will also hopefully teach you about finance and how money is managed - a great education no matter what you ultimately do.

I tell all college kids to go into tech now. It seems like the only field of growth and job opportunities for the next 20-30 years. I did finance starting in the late 80s/90s - but I believe that world is dying. Or at least shrinking. Tech seem like the only safe bet.

My experience is most jobs suck. You do it for the money. Making and saving as much as possible quickly to be able to have freedom from job slavery seemed to me the most logical goal. While I appreciate the desire for a creative artistic life, I don’t have the stomach to live without financial security.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote]Hudson U is a wonderful, if problematic option too also.

I hear it has an excellent criminal law program.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 7:23 PM

OP you’re the salt of the earth. You’re happy with a good job, career and living. We need useful people like you. Your choices are no choices. They’re all the same.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 7:42 PM

OP's other posts indicate he is not in his mid-twenties.

Fake thread.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 7:47 PM

OP, all of the options seem like they will bring in a good income. Pick what you think will bring you the most happiness then stash as much away in low cost index funds so you can retire early.

Retirement rocks!

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 7:52 PM

OP, I recommend the burgeoning field of Finno-Ugric protolinguistics. It will feel like you never have to work a day in your life.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote]Which Career Path Would You Chose?

Freelance grammarian.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 8:03 PM

Start as a minor YouTube “celebrity” and then switch to OnlyFans when that doesn’t work out. It’s the career path du jour.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 8:11 PM

Go into the STEM field. There is money in those fields.

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 8:13 PM

Definitely not law at a Tier 3 school. Law has gotten so much more competitive, and law school so expensive, that a Tier 3 education is unlikely to pay for itself.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 8:17 PM

Go to a Tier 3 Law School if you want to be unable to convict OJ Simpson.

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 8:30 PM

Custondian in a Turkish bath in Izmir.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 8:55 PM

I always remember this: Gerald Ford wanted to be Speaker of the House. He ended up becoming Vice President and President. Sometimes opportunities come around that are too good to pass up.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 8:58 PM

you are mid twenties and remember Gerald Ford OP?

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 9:31 PM

Mid 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 9:55 PM

Empress of Japan.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 9:57 PM

R38, that's my title.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 10:05 PM

Sidekick on smash sit-com.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 10:16 PM

I think everyone has a soft spot for Marie of Roumania and she's long dead... so as titles go I think that's the right choice over Empress of Japan.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 10:29 PM

Same boat, R8. My "retirement plan" is to work till I drop or my eyes give out. Lots of envy and admiration for my line of work but shit, growing old is getting scarier and scarier.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!