Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just watched the musical Mame for the first time.

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 5:53 PM

It’s called “LucyMame” here bub.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 11:15 PM

If she didn’t try to sing it wouldn’t have been a bad movie. Also, it was a pointless remake not even 20 years after the first one.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Not a patch on Roz. Lacking in warmth - maybe that's the main problem?

Oh and the singing lead bass in a junkman's choir.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2021 11:23 PM

I thought it was great. It suffered due to being made in the wrong decade. And that whole issue that the soundtrack can't be remastered for a future Blu-Ray release is bull. Sound technology has come a long way since then.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 11:24 PM

Lucille Ball is MAIM! Someone posted it once, I had to post it again. Her ego, really...

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 11:26 PM

she didn't get the character and just tried to do lucy at rehab

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 11:30 PM

I think of it as MAIMED.

It's a genuinely charming musical with some great music....utterly fucked up at every turn. The fatal errors don't end with Lucy in the title role, but she is the deadliest among them.

It's a fucking terrible movie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 11:31 PM

I like how she croaks out "It's Today" like she just rolled out of bed after a weeklong bender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 11:35 PM

It’s a show that deserves to be revived every now and again. With the right talent, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 11:43 PM

^ "Kiddo, she's from Pittsbarg—a place that SMELLS LAHK GARBAGE!"

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 11:45 PM

I actually love this gloriously shitty movie. I'd watch it over 'Auntie Mame' any day.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 11:47 PM

It should have been Angela!

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 11:48 PM

The only scene I fast forward through is Lucy driving home from Connecticut, singing/croaking 'If He Walked into My Life' in her head.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2021 11:50 PM

That clip of "It's Today" just makes me cry. Lucy couldn't project any energy at all, so they tried to jazz it up (literally) with syncopation. What should have been a frenetic number became a soporific. That can't be laid entirely at Lucy's feet. It takes a lot of people to fuck up a musical this badly.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 12:00 AM

I never realized how much it looks like Lucy's wiping her ass, with relish, when she's first introduced. We see her "dancing" in the wide show, but then in medium shot it looks a lot different.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 12:04 AM

wide SHOT

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 12:04 AM

r9 surprised king's academy christian school in west palm beach didn't have one. pity, the production value would have been higher and a lot more gay camp, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 12:06 AM

not everything is meant to be a musical

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 12:08 AM

Hey everyone, watch Lucy singing It's Todayon .25 speed. I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 12:08 AM

R14, I was taken aback when I heard Angela Lansbury belt it for the first time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote]Hey everyone, watch Lucy singing It's Today on .25 speed. I dare you.

She seems a little tuckered out even at 2x. LOL

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote]I just watched the musical Mame for the first time.

Why? If you're a DL regular, you've been warned about how awful it is.

On the other hand, the Cinerama Dome must be preserved as the location of its gala premiere. (Who thought turning it into a had was a good idea?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 12:14 AM

had=hat

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 12:14 AM

The material was dated and Lucy was never much of singer, even less after decades of bourbon and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 12:17 AM

If you watch It's Today at .25 speed, you can actually hear Lucy creaking from old age when she's at the bannister with the younger girls at 1:50.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 12:20 AM

OP, your poll is missing an "All Of The Above" option, just ahead of "Vivian Vance"

Christ, what a waste of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 12:27 AM

Why no vote option for "I loved it!"?

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 1:21 AM

Well, OP, you might as well watch this guy's analysis about the miscasting of Lucille Ball in Mame. It should provide you with some insight about why so many people didn'tapprove of her in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Just put this on my Samsung TV YouTube thingie, R28...

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 1:39 AM

One thing that always astonishes me is the awful set design. They created 3 Beekman Place on a soundstage, but they spent a lot of time and money on it so it looks fairly real, as opposed to the sets for the same place in "Auntie Mame," which look like soundstage sets. but at least those sets are open and inviting and seem like Mame Dennis's personality. In the film of the musical, it looks like Lucille Ball is throwing her big parties in Granny Mingott's 1870s Gilden Age mansion in "The Age of Innocence," except everything is extremely narrow. This is probably what a real rich woman's house on Beekman place would have looked like, but it seems dark and depressing and unpartylike.

Another thing hate about the film of "Mame" that goes all the way back to the musical stage show is that Gloria Upson is hardly in it. Joanne Barnes stops the show in the non-musical movie because the character is so hilarious (and she's perfect at conveying it), but in this the character hardly has anything to say.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 1:49 AM

Ugh, R28. In the "If He Walked into My Life" number, she looks like Greer Garson doing Eleanor Roosevelt in [italic]Sunrise At Campobello[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 1:51 AM

R28 is spot-on, though to be fair to Lucy her then-recently-broken leg played a part in her lack of physicality in "It's Today."

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 6:23 AM

[quote]That clip of "It's Today" just makes me cry. Lucy couldn't project any energy at all, so they tried to jazz it up (literally) with syncopation. What should have been a frenetic number became a soporific.

Back when YouTube was still new and the Rhino remaster of the soundtrack had just come out, someone posted the audio of this and someone else replied, "Grandma got in the liquor cabinet again!"

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 6:29 AM

Just found this in an old Lucy/Mame thread and it made me cackle:

[quote]My boyfriend in the '90s hated the Lucy version so much that I made a mixtape of his favorite songs with Lucy warbling "it hurts me" [at 1:42 below] in between every track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 7:05 AM

r32 Pfffft! It never held me back.

- Jane Froman

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 11:40 AM

With a song in my heart and a propeller blade in my upper thigh, r35...

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 11:54 AM

r30 Even worse is the combination of Norah and Gooch into one character. It makes no sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 12:17 PM

It was a very big bomb at the time-

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 1:10 PM

If made 10 years earlier, Lucy probably would have likely succeeded in the role.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 3:04 PM

It ranks up there with Showgirls as pure camp - especially when you know the background and Lucy’s egocentric drive to make it. Truly horrible - but turns Lucy into a camp icon. The original with Roz is perfection. But this deserves more attention as the train wreck of an out of control ego.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 3:49 PM

It was my first exposure to the story, so it has a bit of a nostalgic quality for me. That said, I know it's not very good and poor Lucy could never handle the score even in her youth. I think most of the problems go back to the book of the musical. It was always lousy compared to the script for Auntie Mame and that's probably one of the main reasons why it hasn't been revived on Broadway since Angie attempted that version in the early 80's.

The score is one of Broadway's best, but the book has never been very good and has little of wit and charm of Auntie Mame. A revival would need to basically start from scratch and revise most of the book.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 5:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!