Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Poll: McConaughey would easily win Texas Governor's race

He smokes holy roller Greg Abbott 45% to 33%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2021 2:53 AM

Christ Americans are dumb

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 7:50 PM

Weed and Lincoln suvs for everyone. Seriously, he can’t do anyworse than a Repug.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 8:05 PM

They all lied in the poll so that he would get in the race and then get humiliated by a landslide defeat. It happens all the time nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2021 8:22 PM

R3, he left them out there to freeze to death.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 8:24 PM

Beto couldn't but McConaughey can?? Lol, christ.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 8:26 PM

Does he wear a hat, ride a horse and shoot animals? Does he say stupid things? Abbott is a right wing evangelical going for him. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 8:28 PM

Yes, a wad of used chewing gum would be better than Abbott. But what are Matty's political positions? I suspect based on his past statements he's some sort of weirdo libertarian.

And ZERO past government experience! That has always worked out great! (cf. twice impeached, cheating treason weasel Tronald Dump)

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 8:30 PM

I think he could be dangerous if he suddenly had a Christian conversion and turned on gays. I don't think he has a brain in his head. Willie Nelson is smarter than he is. I think Matt is probably surrounded by YES men who want him to run so they can share in the $$$ that will flow to the campaign.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 8:38 PM

Neither one are qualified.

If you want a career in politics, start off at the city council...or run for state rep, district rep for Congress, etc. You don't start your political career running for governor particularly in a state as big as Texas. And you certainly don't start by running for president as the former unqualified, corrupt one did. Granted, those running for a top position at the start of their career should not win. So we have to not offer American voters that choice. Americans are not smart enough not to vote for someone like McConaughey or Trump. And people like McConaughey or Trump should know better and know they are not qualified. But they don't. So don't elect them.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 8:45 PM

At least Abbott's name is easy to spell.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 9:56 PM

JFC - what is it with conservative Hollywood guys going into politics? Reagan, Schwarzenegger, Trump, now McBongo??

Where the fuck are the liberal Hollywood guys in politics?

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote] JFC - what is it with conservative Hollywood guys going into politics? Reagan, Schwarzenegger, Trump, now McBongo??

McBongo is not in the race. Also, maybe you should have highlighted parts of the article (if you read it).

[quote] Despite an early edge in polls, McConaughey would have a bumpy ride against Abbott, who can raise up to $80 million or more, activate a large voter-turnout organization and cast McConaughey as not fit for office, Minchillo said.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 10:14 PM

He'd have to run as a Democrat. Abbott has the ego the size of the Astrodome and will never back out for a Hollywood actor.

And the polls says Democrats favor McConaughey 66%-8&.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2021 10:18 PM

r11 they have achieved fame, have money so all that is left to strive for is power.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2021 10:24 PM

He could not be worse than George Bush or Rick Perry.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2021 10:32 PM

For a split second the title looked like "Paul McCartney would easily win Texas Governor's race".

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2021 10:33 PM

He should run as a Republican and challenge Abbot in a primary.

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2021 10:40 PM

If Abbot wins, can the lieutenant governor be named Costello?

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2021 10:42 PM

He's a better person than Abbott (but then who isn't?), but because of his inexperience and lack of understanding of how government works, he'd be easy prey for the vicious repigs like Ken Paxton. Plus, people say they like novelty, but when it comes down to it, they choose the devil they know.

I am not optimistic about TX, though maybe this year's power outages beat some sense into them.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2021 11:15 PM

Jfc will we never learn.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 12:21 AM

Nude pot smoking bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 12:51 AM

All that poll shows is that Republicans will vote for Abbott and Democrats will vote for ANYONE other than Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 12:52 AM

People just FROZE TO DEATH in Texas due to Greg Abbott's incompetence and corruption. Yet he'd still probably be re-elected. I don't understand people.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]People just FROZE TO DEATH in Texas due to Greg Abbott's incompetence and corruption. Yet he'd still probably be re-elected. I don't understand people.

I have relatives that live in TX and I think it's almost a stubborn pride: admitting that Abbott was a failure is admitting that YOU were wrong for voting for him in the first place & that his incompetence lead to unnecessary deaths. There's this "this is the way we do things down here & we don't expect you to understand" which I think is really just a cover for "yeah, we're fucked, but we honestly have no idea how to unfuck ourselves because we're slaves to God, Gas & Guns (not necessarily in that order)."

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 3:18 PM

Abbott plays the pity card for all it's worth. I think he would defeat Beto which is why I think Beto won't run. The Castros certainly won't run: they're scared shitless of running statewide in Texas. Lina Hidalgo's a possibility but the last Dem nominee Latina lesbian Lupe Valdez lost badly against Abbott. Unlike blacks, Latinos don't vote for another Latino automatically and too many are GOP in Texas. Abbott would have absolutely no idea how to run against McConaughey and the idea that MM is considering running against him has Abbott's personal lackey having to wipe his ass more often than usual. McConaughey would neutralize the rightwing Christian fundies to some degree: he's very open about his religion but the church he goes to is a 'cool' church which stays out of politics and welcomes gay families even if the pastor won't perform gay marriages.

Should be interesting and Hot Wheels should be terrified.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 4:58 PM

Is Abbott able to walk? I saw footage of him recently (bit from when, I don't know) and he was in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 5:30 PM

He’ll run as an Independent. He hates liberalism.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 5:50 PM

He can win the nom as a Democrat in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 6:22 PM

Abbott got paralyzed while he was jogging through Houston's Beverly Hills - River Oaks. He was a poor law student from East Texas. Why was he jogging through a ritzy neighborhood to begin with? Hoping to bump into rich people no doubt. A tree limb fell on him. He sued the tree. Literally. He sued the owner of the land the tree was on and the landscaping company that usually tended the owner's yard. He got a $10 million settlement - tax-free - which is still being paid to him.

Abbott got a seat on the Texas Supreme Court from Dubya. The Bushes - for all their sins - were strongly in favor of affirmative action for people with disabilities. Then Abbott became Rick Perry's Mini-Me lackey and got elected Attorney General. First thing he did was make it impossible for Texans to sue for massive damages like he did.

Abbott got elected Governor with TV ads showing him bravely wheeling himself up highways, up parking ramps like he was some brave, self-made man. First thing he did after getting elected was cut funding for kids with disabilities.

Abbott is every bit as vile a piece of shit as Cruz. Anybody who can take him out - hat's off to them.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 6:27 PM

How about a Greg Abbott/Madison Cawthorne 2024 ticket? That's when we call in Darlene Snell from Ozark--"you parked in the cripple spot".

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 8:29 PM

R27 he'll run as an "independent" and govern like a Republican.

They always do.

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 9:48 PM

[quote]the church he goes to is a 'cool' church which stays out of politics and welcomes gay families even if the pastor won't perform gay marriages.

So they like gays for show but not for being treated equally.

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 9:50 PM

Alright, alright, alright

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 9:53 PM

Alt-right, alt-right, alt-right.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 10:14 PM

R32 there was a controversy a couple of years ago. Some rightwing rich parishioners demanded that the pastor get rid of the gay families, they didn't want their little darlings encountering the kids of gay couples in Sunday School. The pastor made a whole sermon about this and told the whining homophobic parishioners they needed to find a new church. The way things are going with 'Christian' churches right now, that was a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 10:29 PM

Abbott needs to go but the actor?

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 10:53 PM

No R26 he was paralyzed but I refuse to mock someone for that.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 10:55 PM

The Left's Arnold Schwarzenegger. Sign of the times RE, the continuing debasement and degradation of American democracy . . .

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 11:00 PM

Better McBongo does this than more Doritos commercials. I can’t stand McBongo or Abbott so I’d probably write myself in. I live in Houston and this state is so ass backwards it never ceases to amaze.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 11:10 PM

Bongo is a libertarian so he will easily win.

Between pissed off Republicans and disaffected Democrats, the libertarian wing of independent voters is the biggest in the state.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 11:16 PM

R13

That lens credence to my believe that most Texas Democrats are actually Libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 11:17 PM

Lens LENDS

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 11:20 PM

Bongo's wife is a South American immigrant. That will attract some Latino votes.

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2021 11:31 PM

[Quote] I think he could be dangerous if he suddenly had a Christian conversion and turned on gays.

One of Bongo’s best friends growing up is a black gay guy so hopefully he won’t turn on the gays or blacks

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2021 11:47 PM

His wife's Afro Brazilian. He'll get all the black women votes.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2021 1:25 AM

He looks like he smells.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2021 2:00 PM

I’ll have to say I didn’t realize Abbott was paralyzed. The media has done a good job of not showing him sitting in a wheelchair. I assumed he recently had back surgery.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2021 3:04 PM

I hate Bongo, but I hat Abbott more

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote] but I hat Abbott more

Oh Dear!

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote]so hopefully he won’t turn on the gays or blacks

Straight white people always do, dear.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 6:20 PM

If he’s woke—I’m not interested.

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]Straight white people always do, dear.

He's not straight, dear.

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 11:35 PM

Once he opens his mouth and waffles on a position, he’ll be toast.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 11:53 PM

Is Texas ready for a smelly potsmoking bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2021 12:46 AM

Rick Perry's closeted but gay and everybody knew it. He named his boyfriend Secretary of State - not an elected position in Texas but appointed by the Governor.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2021 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!