Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Viola Davis says she's the black Meryl Streep.

Dispute!!!

No comic, ability, no accent work, always sort of somber and trouble. No musicals. No classical stage work.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2021 9:56 PM

Streep doesn’t have comic ability and recent classical stage work. Her one musical was pretty dismal

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 4:47 AM

Streep has always been overrated

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 4:48 AM

Oh Viola. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2021 4:48 AM

Since when do you need to do musicals to be a good actor?

Fuck off, racists

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2021 4:48 AM

Streep did Mother Courage and The Seagull not that long ago.

And she is genuinely funny in Postcards from the Edge and parts of Death Becomes Her (NOW a warning?)

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2021 4:48 AM

Viola is the old Andra Day.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2021 4:49 AM

Viola thinks too highly of herself.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2021 5:01 AM

R4 Fuck off racist! How is this about race?

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2021 5:34 AM

She should have never said that. Black or white you are putting yourself up with someone commonly known as the greatest living actor male or female to even people who have never seen her films. It's just what they know. So, no just no V.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2021 5:37 AM

R4 What does acting and musicals have to do with race you ignorant troll?

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 5:38 AM

Viola Davis is an excellent actress, but this comparison seems hitched on her simply saying that she is the best African-American actress and of that I am unconvinced.

Streep has her share of bad performances, but she's thrown herself as a professional into roles where she sacrificed her dignity in ways that Viola has not.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 5:49 AM

Does anyone have the original clip where she said this?

She compared herself to Sigourney and Julianne Moore. That sounded odd. I'd bet she makes more money than either of them nowadays. Julianne does mostly small films and Sig doesn't work that much. Plus Sig created an iconic historic female action hero. Viola never did that.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 5:50 AM

No covering for Harvey Weinstein

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2021 5:53 AM

How many times are you racists going to do this thread?

Go back to your HQ, tell your masters "we already did that one on Datalounge" and find a new topic.

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2021 5:54 AM

I’m the white Violin Daviz.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2021 5:55 AM

I love most of Meryl's performances but never took to one big one. I think Meryl got too excited and needing to "perform" with her choices in August Osage County. It was like she needed to prove herself to all these famous people in the movie especially the most famous actress in the world at the time that she lost her way. I still don't get her choices with that performance. She had a lovely scene with the boots but showed no signs of that bit in any other scene she devoured. She almost seemed to want to shove Julia Roberts out of every fucking scene they shared. It was cringe.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2021 5:55 AM

r14=datalounge historian who thinks everyone else memorizes every thread

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2021 6:00 AM

Viola and her snot makes me nuts. Does she have any range? I sure haven't seen it.

And now she tarnished herself with bad TV. Meryl continues to reign.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2021 6:06 AM

Aw that's sweet, Viola.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2021 6:07 AM

And what am I? Chopped Liver!?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2021 6:08 AM

Alfre Team here. Always loved her in everything

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2021 6:10 AM

Siggie and La Streep = Yale Drama.

Viola = Julliard.

These two top acting schools are big time rivals.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2021 6:12 AM

I think Streep is overrated, which isn't really her fault but more the fact that films over the last 40 years have had few strong roles for women and when those roles turned up, they were given with excessive frequency to Streep who sometimes triumphed and sometimes did not.

That said, it's ludicrous to claim Streep is bad at comedy; it's actually one of her strongest suits.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2021 6:15 AM

I think Meryl is overrated. She was terrible in the sequel to Big Little Lies w/ other Oscar winning actresses and brought the cast down.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2021 6:19 AM

A colleague years ago said Streep was incredible at comedy playing old servants in some Durang play (and/or Russian play) over at Yale.

Streep can be terrific, very good, competent or bad. She works so much that it's all over the place. Glenn is more consistently excellent. Viola is a little too full of herself -- even Meryl doesn't say how much her reputation is, as most of the time she act fairly modest -- at least publicly.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2021 6:20 AM

R24 I thought she was terrible in that too. But Witherspoon was far worse and was terrible in both seasons. In the first season where she is having a moment with the husband she reminded me that she's always been a head actress. Nothing comes from inside. She is incapable of conjuring real emotions. She came ever so close in Wild, he best work outside of Election, but she really doesn't have the extra gear to disappear into emotions. It makes me think she is a cold person.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 6:24 AM

Meryl Streep doesn't give endless diatribes about her IMPORTANCE as a SERIOUS ACTRESS!

Viola Davis makes 5 million a year and is still a victim. Exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 6:25 AM

Viola Davis says she's been called the black Meryl Streep.

There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 6:26 AM

Viola should not speak. Her extreme arrogance has been revealed to the public.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 6:32 AM

Alfre Woodward has put in way more years, time and always maintained dignified work

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 6:38 AM

Viola is a sexual woman though, something Meryl has never been. Sexual, sensuous, beautiful, alluring and incredibly talented. None of which Meryl is.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 6:47 AM

I really like Viola. But playing the "poor me" card? That feels weird coming from one of the most awarded actress of the last decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 6:48 AM

No one can play a sexually alive woman of color of a certain age quite like Miss Viola Davis, saint of all non white actresses.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 6:51 AM

Another vote for Alfre. Ever since St Elsewhere her work has been brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 6:52 AM

R14 We have lives dear, unlike you. Maybe that's why you are so easily triggered!

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 6:56 AM

even before St. Elsewhere.

Alfre is tremendous in Cross Creek and won her first Emmy for a reoccuring characther on Hill Street Blues.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 6:56 AM

People are reacting as though this is all insult to Streep, when it's actually an affront to all the other black actresses.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2021 7:42 AM

She lost me as a follower when she celebrated "trans visibility day". She's only performative wokeness now. I think she's a great actress though.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2021 8:09 AM

Viola should play the lead in "Exhausted and SMDH! The Roxane Gay Story".

One pretentious scold and windbag playing another. Viola can throw in her usual snot crying to show Roxane's "vulnerable" side and wallow in permanent victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2021 8:16 AM

When she won the Oscar did the presenter preface the announcement with "I love my life?"

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2021 8:24 AM

[quote]We have lives dear, unlik ...

Now stop right there, R35 "Datalounge 8 hours ago."

I would beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 3:23 PM

Oh Viola. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 7:57 PM

There is something warm and cuddly about Viola Davis from "The Help". She gives off this warmth of a nanny I would want to have growing up.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Please visit my twitter account for notifications of where to turn up for the riots if I lose the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2021 9:34 PM

[Quote] And she is genuinely funny in Postcards from the Edge and parts of Death Becomes Her (NOW a warning?)

I didn’t laugh once. Not even once

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2021 2:12 AM

Viola is a great actress. The problem is she sticks to the same “I have gravitas” roles—so she come across as playing the same character no matter what she does

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2021 2:14 AM

I know it wasn’t a good movie but I thought Meryl was hilarious in she devil.

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2021 2:27 AM

Other people did r45. Your opinion is not the only one out there.

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2021 3:39 AM

(sweetly) "Could someone please answer the door?... COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THE GODDAM DOOR?!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 3:49 AM

I'm so happy the George Floyd verdict came back like it did.

Now people can get back to focusing on my victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2021 4:04 AM

Viola claims agents or producers said this to her, but in reality she is not that great and was just looking for attention.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2021 4:09 AM

She's twenty years younger than M or Sigourney. She should be less accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2021 4:14 AM

Viola's complaining speech.

(and Julianne Moore went to Boston University.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2021 4:31 AM

It was another one of her rants that she is beautiful, talented and sexy (in her mind) but no one wants to pay her a high salary (she leaves out that she is not a box office star). If she wins or loses on Sunday she will be insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2021 4:32 AM

I mean, she lives in a country that is overwhelmingly white. That's the reality. She won't be the box office star that Streep or any other white female star is in this country because of it. White people tend to go see movies about white people. And women stars don't draw as big an audience or command as high a salary as men because our culture is a patriarchy and women will go see movies starring only men, but few men will go see a "chick flick."

It sucks, it's unfair, but those are the parameters and complaining about it does nothing but put off the potential audience members that determine how much money you make.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2021 8:08 AM

Who is the Black Glen Close?

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2021 9:51 AM

So this bitch applauds a child rapist as well? Fuck her and Streep- let their daughters around Roman Polanski and let’s see them applaud him. He drugged and raped a 13 yr old child. Fuck Meryl ugly nose Streep for calling him a “genius” her daughters are untalented nepotism FUGs I wish he got them in a hot tub.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2021 12:59 PM

R56 The Black Glenn Close is probably the talented and very angry Ms. Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2021 3:50 PM

Forget paying Viola. I heard that Octavia ‘Ma’ Spencer was recently paid on a project. GOOD. We LIKE her, we ENJOY her.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2021 3:51 PM

Saying somebody said I'm the black Meryl Streep is still being a royal asshole.

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2021 6:01 PM

Sigourney at R54, St V will find a way to complain and play the victim whether she wins or loses. If she wins we will get the insufferable, pretentious, lofty "artiste" who will try to educate everyone on what a great treasure she considers herself to be.

If she loses to a white woman, there will be her usual complaining about racism and her alleged lack of opportunities as a black woman. If she loses to Andra Day she will find a way to blame it on Day's youth or light(er) skin privilege or about white voters connecting with Billie Holiday more than with Ma Rainey. St Viola is a professional victim who gets off on looking for opportunities to feel offended or whine about stuff.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2021 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!