Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s With All the Tree Topping?

Why is this suddenly a thing? Everywhere I go I see trucks where guys in ladder buckets are sawing off the tops of evergreen trees.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 3:01 AM

Christmas in May.

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2021 9:50 PM

???? It often kills evergreens.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2021 9:52 PM

Could also be that they come down in storms and then people bitch and cunt for days about not having power.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 9:53 PM

It’s all the rage in my neighborhood for miles around R2.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2021 12:39 AM

Did some say topping?

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2021 12:42 AM

Lucky you! NYC is plagued by tree bottoming. What I wouldn’t give to find a top, or at least versatile, conifer.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2021 12:42 AM

Where are you OP? In Northern California our power company, aka the purveyors of death and destruction PG&E is cutting a lot to clear power lines. It won't work. It's always far too little, far too late.

This may be OT in your case, but I blame a LOT of these horrific fires on those shitboxes known as SmartMeters. Before those, every meter was read by a technician, and a quick but crucial visual inspection around each property was done. Any problems or potential problems were immediately addressed. Same with the power towers and power lines. Workers were assigned to visually inspect each one on a regular basis. We did not have fires like what we've seen in recent years. While I'm a believer in climate change, our state has had many droughts before, so you can't really blame that. Now, no more no visual inspections means no first line of defense which results in preventable disasters.

I have a bad feeling this is going to be another horrific fire season. Last year's never really ended.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2021 1:03 AM

R6 Low hanging pine cone.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2021 1:06 AM

I may be mistaken but I thought if you took the top center branch off of an evergreen tree it stopped it from growing higher.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2021 1:35 AM

R7 You’re not wrong. Climate change isn’t the only cause behind the upswing in destructive wildfires. Poor management is significant too (not talking about raking forests here), and something nobody wants to talk about - regular smaller fires clear out debris and prevent massive destructive infernos.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2021 1:57 AM

I also believe enemies of the US & of California are setting fires. Billions of dollars in damage is done by the fires - and what’s the investment? A pack of matches. That’s got to be one of the cheapest terrorist weapons around. Causes immense damage to US economy. Is it far fetched? Nope. Japan tried to start forest fires in western US by sending fire balloons in the jet stream. Unfortunately for the Japanese. The jet stream was strongest in November, when forests in north western US were damp & sometimes snow covered.

As for the enemies of California - those are home grown rightwingers. There is an ongoing campaign on Facebook & rightwing “news” websites to demonize & damage NY & CA. They are two of the most successful states in the US. They contribute billions to the US economy. The effort to recall Ca Governor & smear NY Governor in order to force him to step down is part of the plan. GOP governors ruled NY until 2006 & CA until 2011. They believe they have a chance of getting those states back. If they get the starters back, their goal is to destroy them. GQP is now a rightwing front Org for foreign powers. It’s been proved that the effort to get CA to secede was started by Russia. Similar foreign-backed efforts want to get parts of WA & OR to break into several states.

The more the US is divided, the more economic damage that is done to the US economy, the better for our enemies - foreign & domestic.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2021 2:52 AM

It's Jewish lasers from space, man. You sheeple are blinded by the man, man. Open your eyes!

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2021 2:58 AM

Mohels in space performing laser bris.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!