Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Ustinov would have been 100 today. Happy Birthday, Nero! What's your favorite Ustinov role?

I always liked Ustinov and used to fantasize talking to him when I was a kid. Later I had a bf who was Russian Jewish and looked so much like Peter that he and his brother once passed him off as the actor to an MGM exec (my bf's brother worked for MGM in London). My favorite role of his is in Topkapi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2021 6:33 AM

He wasn't really Poirot but very comforting in that role

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2021 9:24 PM

[quote] I had a bf who was Russian Jewish and looked so much like Peter that he and his brother once passed him off as the actor to an MGM exec (my bf's brother worked for MGM in London).

No, you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2021 9:28 PM

Ustinov was terrific across the board but "We're No Angels" with Humphrey Bogart and Aldo Ray had surprisingly fine chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 9:31 PM

I've always enjoyed his interviews as much as anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2021 9:35 PM

I used to live in Lausanne, Switzerland. Saw him several times wandering up and down the Rue du Bourg. Also saw Audrey Hepburn, David Niven, Jackie Onassis, James Mason and Richard Burton in Lausanne. It was quite the A list celebrity hot spot.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2021 9:37 PM

R1 I agree - in a way it's just Peter Ustinov solving crimes, but very comforting. And as R4 says, he was just a very interesting person to watch and listen to.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2021 9:37 PM

Any stories or impressions to tell us about, R5?

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2021 9:40 PM

Ustinov was funny. A friend and I kind of followed him up the street one day. When he'd stop to check out a shop window, we would too as we couldn't actually figure out if we wanted his autograph (which seemed tacky). No selfies back then. Finally after we'd followed him for a while, he turned to us and asked if he could help us with something. We were 20ish and must have blushed and blurted out we were big fans. The next time I saw him in the street, he waved to me.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2021 9:44 PM

I loved it when he played me in “”Murder On The Orient Express”. His interpretation didn’t follow Christie’s vision, but I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2021 10:08 PM

I think he made a documentary about the Orient Express, but not a movie.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote] I think he made a documentary about the Orient Express

Wasn’t that David Suchet, another Poirot?

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2021 10:25 PM

I think we need a Poirot to figure out all these credits...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2021 10:30 PM

He was a philosopher and serious playwright who unfortunately appeared in a lot of trash and married 3 uninteresting women.

You can hear him alluding to serious issues at the 4 minute mark in the video at R4.

He had box-office power in the early 50s and was able to get finance for his own projects— the quasi-gay 'Billy Budd' and 'Lady L'.

A brilliant raconteur (as seen in the second half of the video at R4). And he was rather cute back in the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2021 11:36 PM

R1 Indeed. Watched Topkapi last night for first time in full, wonderful performance.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2021 11:39 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2021 11:44 PM

"What's My Line?" panelist .... with mystery-celebrity challenger, Miss Joan Crawford!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2021 11:51 PM

R16 He appeared on the panel and not as the celebrity guest— which I think backs up his claim to be an iconoclast in his younger years.

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2021 12:11 AM

R17 I was answering OP's question: his role as a What's My Line? panelist ... and simply noting that Joan Crawford was the celebrity guest.

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2021 12:35 AM

I get annoyed when people physically compare the late Peter Ustinov with Seth Rogen.

One was a polymath and the other is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2021 10:56 PM

When I was a child I couldn't differentiate Ustinov from Charles Laughton.

Both were fat and both played the Emperor Nero.

But they're both fascinating in different ways

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2021 2:02 AM

Did he deserve both his Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2021 8:48 AM

The Oscar competition is like a chook raffle.

I think he deserves a great deal of praise for his real talents, his writing and being a raconteur.

But he got an Oscar twice for doing the same thing— playing a comic snivelling scammer.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2021 8:58 AM

Prince John, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2021 9:10 AM

Peter Ustinov when he was just Peter Ustinov. Great story-teller.

As an actor he had a tendency to ham it up.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2021 9:16 AM

My mom was a huge fan of [italic]The Merv Griffin Show[/italic] in the '60s and '70s, and she thought Peter Ustinov was hilarious. One time he recounted flying through a storm on Air India, and instead of the pilot or cabin crew announcing that there was turbulence coming, fasten your seat belts, etc., a flight attendant simply got on the PA and exclaimed, "LIGHTNING!"

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2021 9:18 AM

To be honest, a good many Oscars (and other acting awards) are for other reasons than necessarily being that year's "best" performance.

Ustinov mostly played tiny variations of his persona but it was a great persona.

And, his Poirot isn't very accurate but it is very entertaining. Suchet is the best of course but I prefer Ustinov's Poirot over Finney's which was too loud and sinister.

We don't speak of Branagh's Poirot because it is An Abomination.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 9:19 AM

Dame Angela Lansbury foolishly mispronounced Topkapi as Top-cappy when giving him his 2nd Oscar (accepted by Jonathan Winters). It's Topkap-uh, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 9:20 AM

His Nero always reminds me of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 9:39 AM

Hear, hear R26

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 1:15 PM

He stirred something in me as a young gayling that helped set me on my lifelong love of bears.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 1:24 PM

That was supposed to be “Death on the Nile”. Geez, oh dear squared! I’m a huge Christie and Ustinov fan.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 2:28 PM

He told good stories, but probably did too many chat shows. I remember once he was in the middle of an anecdote and stopped and said - 'Oh I told this last time I was on your show', the host said, 'Please carry on', but he became very uncomfortable, mortified even. It was quite hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 9:46 PM

R30 Yes he was bearish. He was cute and cuddly in the 50s.

His Nero was an inoffensive Nero.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] Dame Angela Lansbury

Who was (at one point) his sister-in-law, as I learnt just recently.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 4:47 PM

Lansbury's twin brothers, Bruce & Edgar, were handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 5:00 PM

R2, that is the absolute truth. I don't know why you find it so unlikely. I'm old, my bf was MUCH older, and this all took place in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 11:07 PM

Fair enough, R2, R36. I accept you and appreciate your anecdote.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 11:11 PM

R34 Peter and Angela's sister had already divorced. Angie really was a treat as the drunk romance novelist Salome Otterbourne.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2021 7:55 AM

R35 The brothers were moderately handsome. She, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2021 1:53 AM

And Angela announced him as the winner of the 1964 supporting actor. Seen many of his films and he was a really great actor. I’d like to see some of his Emmy work (he won three total) which may be on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2021 2:03 AM

I loved a mystery show he did in the early eighties

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2021 2:03 AM

Natural causes?

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] As an actor he had a tendency to ham it up.

True, and as good an example as any of that is his Herod the Great in Jesus of Nazareth, but then, why should I single him out for hamminess among that cast?

Ustinov was a study in subtlety compared to, say, Michael York as John the Baptist.

Still, I loved "Jesus of Nazareth". It was very well-made and the screenplay was superb. I never see it broadcast anymore.

I caught a few youtube scenes of it over the past few years. The 70s datedness of it is a blast.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2021 2:21 AM

My first memories of him are as Prince John in [italic]Robin Hood[/italic]. He and Terry-Thomas MADE that movie.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote] Jesus of Nazareth

A collection of silly cameos by some fabulous stars. Their fabulosity lessens the sincerity of the story. And Jesus was an ugly runt.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2021 2:38 AM

It would be a change of pace after ten showings of [italic]The Greatest Showing Ever Told[/italic]. Who the hell thought John Wayne and Roddy McDowall should be in a picture together?

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2021 2:40 AM

[italic]Story[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2021 2:42 AM

^ I had to look at IMDB and it seems that Ustinov played Herod.

I don't know the bible stories but I think Herod was a useless, non-committal pawn, wasn't he? (I think they camped up Herod in that musical JC superstar).

So I guess the role is true to Ustinov's screen persona— non-threatening and semi-comic— as well as fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2021 3:58 AM

Werking Herod's caftan.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2021 4:09 AM

He's grotesquely fat here in this clip but still 'on point'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2021 12:42 PM

Topkapi has his best moments: when he is snivelling before the Turkish police, afraid he's about to be tortured, and then switches to absolute dignity as he tells about his father, a British non-com. Love that scene. It sets up for later when he shows bravery in agreeing to help the group with the heist.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2021 3:59 PM

I enjoyed his 'Billy Budd' which is so rarely played on television. In fact I’m sure the last time I saw it was 25 years ago. He played Captain Vere.

Unfortunately he was overshadowed by the American who really did dominate the movie with his ugliness. I know there are DLers who fancy Robert Ryan but I never have. Ryan played an ugly man with an ugly name Claggart.

Ustinov played another character with a similarly appropriate name. His name was Vere. The word veer implies ambivalence, something that's neither this nor that.

And I guess those sophisticated people (who say that all of Herman Melville’s stuff is drenched with repressed homo-sex) will suggest that the sweet-faced Billy Budd resembled a pluckable rose-bud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2021 4:13 AM

Hot Millions (1968), with the delightful Maggie Smith.

He played a cockney computer hacker who swindles a multinational corporation headed by Karl Malden and Bob Newhart (Mr. Gnatpole).

Very funny and ahead of its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2021 4:23 AM

The conductor Gustavo Dudamel reminds me of Ustinov.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2021 6:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!