Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL where the fuck in US do people live where a bobcat can attack you in your driveway? Man grabs it off family and chucks it

yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196April 28, 2021 7:49 PM

Anywhere?

“ The bobcat (Lynx rufus), also known as the red lynx, is a medium-sized cat native to North America. It ranges from southern Canada through most of the contiguous United States to Oaxaca in Mexico. It is listed as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List since 2002, due to its wide distribution and large population. ”

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2021 3:16 AM

This is what happens when asshole developers build subdivisions that encroach on and destroy natural habitat for wild animals and when asshole humans buy shitty cookie cutter homes in said developments.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2021 3:18 AM

We took over their environment, and continue to do so at an alarming rate. It's inevitable that this happens. They are only trying to survive in the place that was always their home until some shitty developer bought a piece of land in formerly undeveloped country and decided this was the next subdivision.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 3:18 AM

Fake fake fake.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2021 3:20 AM

Poor cat

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2021 3:21 AM

No way that’s fake

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2021 3:21 AM

The guy, his wife, and all of his neighbours deserve to be attacked by that poor creature. It's a shame it didn't kill one of them, though lynx are generally incapable of killing humans.

Sadly, the poor animal will end up being shot. It will pay the price for human greed.

I can't wait for the asteroid to hit. Humans are disgusting and deserve to be wiped from the planet.

My hope is that the earth and all its flora and fauna will recover from climate change once the human species is wiped out.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2021 3:24 AM

I hope the vicious jungle beast died in fear and pain.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2021 3:29 AM

Charmed, R7. Lighten the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2021 3:29 AM

In France they are called "le chat du Robert".

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2021 3:30 AM

Bobcats live in about 40 of the 50 states

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2021 3:30 AM

Fake

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2021 3:32 AM

I saw a bobcat in Oklahoma....My ex owned 7 acres just outside of OKC and I was at his house and came outside and thought it was dog at first glance...It was a bobcat...I was totally shocked. It ran off and I ran inside and called him. They are out there..

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2021 3:35 AM

A bobcat decimated our chicken house one time. It was 4 in the morning when we heard a huge ruckus and ran into the back and saw dead chickens everywhere.I dont know why he didnt snatch one and run,he tore apart 20 of them.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2021 3:36 AM

I swear to God, cats are evil. The only thing that stops the small domestic ones from terrorizing us, is their size. But from bobcats all the way to tigers and lions, they're terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2021 3:39 AM

i do think it's weird that the bobcat chose to attack in broad daylight with several people around. they are usually night stalkers and attack a singular or smallish targets. but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Now if this was a coyote attack, i'd totally call this a fake. coyotes do NOT approach several individuals and attack. Especially during daytime. They are more likely to run off when they see humans.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2021 3:39 AM

R16 because it wasn't a bobcat

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2021 3:40 AM

Was the wife menstruating?

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2021 3:42 AM

It was an alien from outer space, they are amongst us.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2021 3:43 AM

I thought bobcats were larger than that. Anyway, it looked like the wife was carrying a cat carrier, which may have been what set the animal off.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2021 3:47 AM

I live in a suburb of Denver and we have bobcats, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and hawks. Many neighbors have had animals go ‘missing’. One found her chihuahua’s HEAD chopped off on her porch. Another neighbor’s dog was attacked by a rattlesnake on a walk, and they didn’t make it back to get the anti venom on time so he died. I won’t let my cat outside for a second.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2021 3:47 AM

That chocolate cake he was carrying looked really good.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2021 3:49 AM

R16 rabid coyotes certainly do attack in daylight. A few years ago a little girl was attacked while watching a Little League game with about 50 other people.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2021 3:49 AM

yes, RABID coyotes r23, which are pretty rare. Normal coyotes shun humans.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2021 3:50 AM

Aren't most urban "bobcats" now housecat-wildcat hybrids, and basically just bigger feral cats? Or is that only happening in Europe?

I know cougars/pumas can't interbreed with housecats, but I'm pretty sure a lynx or bobcat can most certainly rape & impregnate a houseat.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2021 3:50 AM

Oh yeah, r23. We have coyotes here as well. They get really loud at night sometimes. We only see them during the day when they are sick and alone. Someone usually calls animal control in these cases.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2021 3:53 AM

This is just like the movie Poltergeist where a suburb was built over a cemetery and they didn't bother to move the bodies.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2021 3:53 AM

r25 bobcats are their own breed. however, this is some anecdotal evidence that house cats and bobcats could breed and produce offspring. i would imagine it's more likely house cats would end up as a meal though.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2021 3:54 AM

Changing the topic slightly. We have a large fox in the neighborhood, it seems to have mange. It was hanging out under a tree in the backyard all day yesterday and today. I started thinking it was rabid but then I fed it (from about 20 feet) some prociuttio (??Itallian ham) and 1/3 of a sesame bagel and cream cheese, it ate both. Tail is missing all the fur. If I call my vet and mention this, will they prescribe anti mange meds for it? Or will they call the police on me?

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2021 3:55 AM

I think this showed what a nice neighborhood this is. He greets a neighbor on her run. She responds and keep jogging. He instantly goes to his wife’s rescue. His female neighbor jogs back when she hears the screams then charges towards the bobcat to scare it off. The husband chases after it when it goes in the direction of the family with the neighbor in toe.

No one hesitated. Yeah, I’d would love to have these people as my neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2021 3:56 AM

r29 they will most likely call animal control. unless they are a cool vet who wants to help wild animals as well.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2021 3:56 AM

How much cream cheese R29 .. Just a Shmeah?

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2021 3:57 AM

They are all over the foothills of LA, along with coyotes, rattlesnakes, and mountain lions -- and to a lesser extent, black bears.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2021 3:57 AM

a few days ago coming home from the convenience store at around 530ish pm, i heard a bobcat or mountain lion vocalizing across the street. i live in a suburb at the foot of a small mountain range on a very busy thoroughfare with lots of cars. i didn't go to investigate; mama or others were probably nearby. it sounded just like the cat in the first clip of the video below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2021 4:06 AM

R29 This crazy fox lady at SaveAFox has a big TikTok presence and I found this YouTube channel as well, you could probably try to ask her your questions on one of those platforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2021 4:07 AM

More info on the OP bobcat attack:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2021 4:10 AM

R29, I lived in AZ years ago, and a family of wild boars came around at night to drink out of our fountain. There was a mama boar and her babies. They were adorable. I started leaving stuff out for them (old fruits and veggies). I mentioned it to the neighbors at a party and they were all PISSED! They said that they knock down garbage cans and rummage through things. I never had that experience. I don’t think that you are supposed to feed wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2021 4:12 AM

r35 foxes seem like the perfect blend between dogs and cats. that video is adorable (didn't watch it all the way through), they seem so playful and loving. really cute, thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2021 4:13 AM

I thought the bobcat must have been rabid and the article linked above seems to bear that out.

Terrifying - I love wild animals, but rabies is an extremely nasty disease, for both humans and wildlife. I hope the people affected got their shots and the animal was put down humanely.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2021 4:16 AM

R34 he sounds cute and cuddly! But he’s probably pretty lethal when pissed off!

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2021 4:17 AM

r36 it mentions in that article that "Happy" (the husband) killed the bobcat.

Really? was he sure the bobcat he killed was THE ONE that attacked his wife? he didn't exactly look like someone who would be able to respond and run after the cat, track it/keep up with it and then kill it. I hate this retaliation bullshit because at least half the time they just end up killing some innocent animal that wasn't even the attacker.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2021 4:18 AM

Really, R41? Just how many crazed bobcats do you think were there on his yard?

Apparently the one he killed tested positive for rabies, so even if it wasn't the same one (not much chance that it wasn't), it needed to be put out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2021 4:22 AM

Mountain lions, while beautiful, are definitely dangerous. I'm not saying that's a reason we need to go out and hunt them down...just that we respect nature and that we share this land with them. They were here before we were. That said, if you've never seen the 6 minute long video of the hiker being stalked by a mountain lion, i've linked it below. Apparently, it was a mama and her cubs were there. Enjoy your hike!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2021 4:23 AM

“Run, Happy, Run!” Could be the new “Run, Forrest, Run!”

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2021 4:24 AM

r42, i didn't see it on his lawn after he threw it...did you? and he certainly didn't immediately run into his garage and grab his gun - he was checking on his wife. Do you think the animal was just hanging out waiting for another chance?

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2021 4:25 AM

I like to envision a planet of the apes scenario except with cats taking over. I’ve always let every cat I’ve known run the show so hopefully I’d be a cherished slave.

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2021 4:26 AM

r42 didn't read in your post until now it tested positive for rabies. so i'm happy a suffering animal (whether it was the one that attacked or another) was put out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2021 4:27 AM

[quote]I swear to God, cats are evil.

Oh yes, SO evil. I’m forever reading about cats killing humans, but you almost never hear about precious dogs killing people...🙄

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote]R42, i didn't see it on his lawn after he threw it...did you?

They weren't rid of it, R45. After being thrown, it ran back under the vehicles on the driveway and hid.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2021 4:31 AM

Jeff would have needed a few shots and a back up gun, but he’d of killed that mother fucker, even as it kept yowling at him as he repeatedly shot it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2021 4:39 AM

I love you, R50, you fucker you.

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2021 4:43 AM

lol r50

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote] Oh yes, SO evil. I’m forever reading about cats killing humans

They would if they could. They've already decimated entire bird species.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2021 5:15 AM

Animal abuse!

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2021 5:51 AM

That bobcat dindu nuffin.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2021 6:35 AM

Fake video. It’s been debunked. Watch the cat carrier.

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2021 6:39 AM

I was impressed by his bravery. He didn't hesitate a second and just grabbed the bobcat and got it away from his screaming wife. He didn't even realize what it was. Very brave guy not hesitating a second to save his family.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2021 7:34 AM

I've seen bobcats, mountain lions, and coyotes in Orange County, California. Multiple times.

They regularly kill unattended dogs and cats, even within fenced yards. Coyotes especially are all over Orange County--even in the urban areas.

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2021 7:41 AM

Of course we are going to see them? pretty much the entire Etats Unis is their territory - except for the extremely snowy parts (i have to laugh, even they had the good sense to not want to live in Detroit or Buffalo).

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2021 7:51 AM

But was that chocolate cake ok?

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2021 8:10 AM

Surprising that people mixing with these animals don't keep something to startle them. Even a small airhorn. Especially that guy with a mountain lion stalking him. Even here in the NE, I take a cane or umbrella on walks in case bear or coyotes.

R53 I know cats can be bad for birds, but around us we have so many cats, yet our property is flourishing with birds of every species. Sounds like the Amazon in the morning. Probably 15 different kinds just around our immediate house (returning families too), despite my crazy cat. But I also give back by putting up nettings, keeping her in fledgling season, and lots of safe bird houses.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2021 9:12 AM

I mean...was it a bobcat?

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2021 10:14 AM

.....looks like a regular cat !!!

by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2021 1:06 PM

Oregon

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Hawk murders kitten...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2021 2:02 PM

I have them right behind my house all the time. i can hear them at night in the summer when they're breeding.

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2021 2:06 PM

Yay bobcat! Give it to me poosey!

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2021 2:12 PM

R56 No it wasn’t in the carrier. You can see the cat cross the street in the upper left in the beginning of the video.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2021 2:24 PM

So much in this video made me laugh. His mild mannered talk as he puts his brownies on the car hood. The startling yowl of the bobcat , the panicked wife with the bobcat on her back. Run, Happy, Run!! Hubby goes from mild mannered to Crocodile Dundee wrestling the bobcat then tossing him...Best part is him pulling a GUN out of his belt and yelling I'm going to shoot that fucker! Yells the details to neighbor as he is running "tits a bobcat, it attacked my wife".

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2021 2:31 PM

[quote] Best part is him pulling a GUN out of his belt and yelling I'm going to shoot that fucker!

Americans are nuts. Truly nuts.

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2021 2:38 PM

R7, did we date? You seem fun.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2021 2:41 PM

Bobcats weigh 10 to 30 lbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2021 2:43 PM

This video =🚘 🚶🏻‍♂️AHHHHH AHHHHH NOOOO NOOOO 🐱

by Anonymousreply 73April 16, 2021 2:43 PM

R71, am I wrong? We are destroying this planet rapidly. Animals and the earth itself will be better off once we're wiped from it.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2021 2:46 PM

Christ, TMZ covers the story with no new information and the sketchiest of details, but adds a Hollywood angle by adding a gallery of photos of celebs pictured with big cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 16, 2021 3:09 PM

It was a feral cat most likely. Still dangerous though. But it’s partly mankind’s fault for overbreeding them.

by Anonymousreply 76April 16, 2021 3:11 PM

r25, my BIL's dad had a mix. It was like a HUGE tabby with a bobbed tail. Friendly as could be.

by Anonymousreply 77April 16, 2021 3:14 PM

I live in Colorado like R21 and see them occasionally. They have never been aggressive like that though. They always run when they see humans.

by Anonymousreply 78April 16, 2021 3:15 PM

I love this asshole has a gun on him - probably going to a potluck.

by Anonymousreply 79April 16, 2021 3:17 PM

Took him so long to finally grab his gun. Fat load of good it did. But that’s Americans for ya.

by Anonymousreply 80April 16, 2021 3:19 PM

Is the blobcat related to the blobfish?

by Anonymousreply 81April 16, 2021 3:21 PM

Has anyone ever seen a fox out in the wild? They are the most elusive creatures.

by Anonymousreply 82April 16, 2021 3:23 PM

I see bobcats quite often and I'm in Houston. They generally hide from people so I call this a fake.

by Anonymousreply 83April 16, 2021 3:24 PM

I've only seen a fox [italic]once[/italic]. It was roaming about a playground on Stinson Beach at night. Only saw it for a moment, but it was a magical one.

by Anonymousreply 84April 16, 2021 3:25 PM

I saw a fox across the street.

by Anonymousreply 85April 16, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote]Has anyone ever seen a fox out in the wild? They are the most elusive creatures.

Saw two late at night in London, wandering about. A bit surreal.

by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2021 3:26 PM

I opened the door to my motel room in Provincetown, and there was a fox sitting in the garden about 4 feet away, looked at us a moment then walked off.

by Anonymousreply 87April 16, 2021 3:40 PM

I've seen them, R82. Because of my job, I've seen all kinds of wild animals. My favourite wildlife sightings include: moose, black bears, (especially when they're with their cubs), foxes, Timber wolves, lynx, a herd of Elk once, and a huge variety of birds.

by Anonymousreply 88April 16, 2021 3:42 PM

YES it was a bobcat and YES he killed the right one, because it was found to have rabies.

Fun fact: You can find answers to your questions by looking them up!

[quote]On April 9, 2021, a bobcat was killed in the area around Creekside Subdivision in Burgaw. It was submitted for testing at the NC State Laboratory and our department has been notified this bobcat was positive for rabies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 16, 2021 3:43 PM

I live in the wooded Eastern PA. I once thought one of the many stray cats in our area was in trouble and screaming. Once I got on the porch I realized that it was a Bobcat and I think it was mating season. Another time on the way home about 5 or 6 I nearly hit a German Shepard. I thought it had escaped from this house on the pretty lomely road and was about to run into the woods. So I got out and was calling to it and it stopped and listened. I then realized it was a coyote and not a dog. We both had a laugh I think and then it sort of bounced off into the woods. We also have a bear that walks through the yard. He has done this for years and everyone in the neighborhood leaves him alone and he leaves us alone. Well, once he did break into the neighbor’s garbage, had a feast and then a nap in the yard. :)

by Anonymousreply 90April 16, 2021 3:43 PM

Not surprised it was rabid. They pretty rarely interact with humans unless they have rabies.

by Anonymousreply 91April 16, 2021 3:44 PM

I was just trying to be friends!

by Anonymousreply 92April 16, 2021 3:45 PM

You don't bother with nobody, R92!

by Anonymousreply 93April 16, 2021 3:48 PM

Word to the wise: The symptoms created by ingesting blobfish slime can mimic those of rabies.

by Anonymousreply 94April 16, 2021 3:51 PM

Fucking blobfish.

by Anonymousreply 95April 16, 2021 3:52 PM

R37, that was really stupid. Don't leave food out for wild animals. They'll grow accustomed to it and create greater problems. The guy in the video was a moron for picking the bobcat up.

Most of these wild animals are nocturnal scavengers/foragers/hunters. If you see them during the day, chances are they may be sick.

Stay away from them.

by Anonymousreply 96April 16, 2021 3:59 PM

R7 are you Poison Ivy?

by Anonymousreply 97April 16, 2021 4:08 PM

Pussyhaven, NY, OP

by Anonymousreply 98April 16, 2021 4:10 PM

But seriously, that chocolate cake looked really, really good.

by Anonymousreply 99April 16, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote] The guy in the video was a moron for picking the bobcat up.

So he should have left it on his wife’s back?

by Anonymousreply 100April 16, 2021 4:17 PM

I saw two bobcats while driving up Benedict Canyon up to Mulholland before. And there are coyotes, deer, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, etc.

by Anonymousreply 101April 16, 2021 4:18 PM

And he just whipped out a gun from his pocket.

by Anonymousreply 102April 16, 2021 4:23 PM

R8, and what about the bobcat?

by Anonymousreply 103April 16, 2021 4:45 PM

We have coyotes on the Cape.

They live on the island behind the golf/country club. They are aggressive and sneaky. Lots of missing cats and small dogs.

The trouble with our coyotes is they are a hybrid. Wolf/Dog/Coyote mix. The coyotes in L.A. were little, scrawny things. Our coyotes look like German Shepherds.

by Anonymousreply 104April 16, 2021 4:46 PM

R100, of course not. It looked to me like the bobcat was chasing the woman. If a wild animal leaps on your child, pet, spouse, friend, fellow human, of course do everything possible to dislodge it.

by Anonymousreply 105April 16, 2021 4:58 PM

I got the scare of my life just the other day in my back yard. But, it was from one of the more beautiful and peaceful wild animals out there. I was walking to the far reaches of the yard to check on my blueberries when I noticed 2 deer (a doe and a fawn) behind the blueberry bushes. They both turned and trotted off into the forest. As I got right up to the tree line up bolts the husband of that family, a huge buck who'd been lying behind the row of pampas grass I have separating the yard from the forest. He bolted up off the ground hard, not 5' from me, going after his family. I'm not ashamed to admit I almost soiled myself. He was huge and sounded like a bull as his hooves hit the ground.

by Anonymousreply 106April 16, 2021 5:04 PM

The woman had a pet carrier. The bobcat smelled something, it seems, became confused, and then panicked with a defensive attack when the man grabbed it (a dangerous move on the man's part, because the cat was ready to do damage). I wondered if there was some issue with an escape, because the woman running in the background acted odd. The man's pulling a pistol out was the worst part of it, though - what kind of idiots keep a gun in a soft pocket like that?

Well, I guess this kind.

Keith

by Anonymousreply 107April 16, 2021 5:07 PM

I am incapable of attacking anyone. It's pure slander.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 16, 2021 5:12 PM

r106 Were you wearing your caftan ?

by Anonymousreply 109April 16, 2021 5:17 PM

These people have 2 bobcats as house pets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 16, 2021 5:23 PM

R48, cats are just biding their time 😼

by Anonymousreply 111April 16, 2021 5:23 PM

That bobcat sounded no more terrifying than my 3 house kitties if they get mad. Just let a cat from the outside come to the glass door on the deck and look inside and you'll see and hear sounds that would scare you to death from 3 of the sweetest little fur babies you've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 112April 16, 2021 5:26 PM

I don’t like cats at all

by Anonymousreply 113April 16, 2021 5:28 PM

Would you have a pet pig? They look really sweet and are supposedly very intelligent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 16, 2021 5:32 PM

We have those, wild burros, AND javelinas, too.

by Anonymousreply 115April 16, 2021 5:49 PM

I live in central east coast Fl and we have them in very populated areas

by Anonymousreply 116April 16, 2021 5:58 PM

your herpes-ridden, face-fucked momma would have a pet pig, fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 117April 16, 2021 6:02 PM

Can pigs be house-trained?

by Anonymousreply 118April 16, 2021 6:03 PM

R118 yes they can. Let them out like a dog. At least that's what I've seen with potbelly pigs.

by Anonymousreply 119April 16, 2021 6:35 PM

Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husbands cause bobcats are attacking everybody out here!

by Anonymousreply 120April 16, 2021 7:07 PM

Lots of coyotes, foxes, deer, possums and ESPECIALLY trash pandas (aka “raccoons”) living in the heart of Toronto. You’d have to be insane to live here and let a small dog or cat unattended in your backyard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 16, 2021 11:55 PM

This wildlife photographer, who has been kept at home due to the pandemic, has been documenting all the local wildlife:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 16, 2021 11:57 PM

OMG!

They’re lucky that was either a kitten bobcat or a very small female. Looks like a a small young female who is barely growing out of being a kitten.

She was definitely set off by what was probably a inside the carrier, another cat. I wonder what she (the bobcat) was doing there? They’re usually very reclusive and do not run around track housing communities unless they’re wounded and/or really hungry.

That poor frau is gonna be traumatized for life. Never again will she approach a minivan or navigate in tight parking spaces with the same idealism she once had!

Lol 😂

by Anonymousreply 123April 17, 2021 12:12 AM

Well, R14’s bobcat may have left behind the hens, however the cat seems to have ran off with all of R14’s commas.

by Anonymousreply 124April 17, 2021 12:18 AM

There was an urban planning writer (I think James Kuntsler is his name) who said something like: the new housing plans are always named after whatever animals the developers just killed or ran off that land.

So common for this kind of shit, especially in the West and Southwest. I would guess OP lives east of the Mississippi?

by Anonymousreply 125April 17, 2021 12:27 AM

And as climate change worsens and we lose more and more land to the sea or desertification, we’re going to see incidents like this increase tenfold.

by Anonymousreply 126April 17, 2021 1:31 AM

Good article here summarizing a Twitter thread by a bobcat expert. She notes that bobcats cannot breed with domestic cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 17, 2021 2:23 AM

"It's a bob ca-yat! It's a bob ca-yat!"

by Anonymousreply 128April 17, 2021 2:42 AM

After all the wildfires, coyotes were driven down into the ravines and canyons of San Diego. During the years I lived there, it was quite common to hear of pets snatched from their shocked owners, who were often too startled, or too fat, to do anything about it.

Especially cats, who always wanted to be let out by idiot owners. They’d be no match for their attackers, and would simply disappear.

by Anonymousreply 129April 17, 2021 3:00 AM

R36, thanks for the update.

Rabies shots are no fun.

Hubby is a keeper and what a good neighbor the jogger is. Glad they are ok and the rabid bobcat is no longer suffering.

by Anonymousreply 130April 17, 2021 3:09 AM

The Upworthy article actually has a very interesting Twitter thread in it from an animal expert.

Many of the bobcats are experiencing what coyotes are in California - slowly being poisoned. They eat rats, which have eaten rat poison, so they in turn get it in their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 131April 17, 2021 3:20 AM

i commented fairly early in the thread about the guy in the vid shooting the bobcat and wondering if it was THE bobcat. i didn't realize, nor did i see, that he pulled out a gun from his fucking pocket. so that was my mistake as i didn't clearly see the whole video.

however, i came back on to make sure people know the difference between a bobcat and a mountain lion. the video features a bobcat which doesn't usually exceed 30+ pounds and a mountain lion which is an altogether different creature and can get up to 220 pounds. the terms have been used kind of interchangeably in this thread. it doesn't take away from the danger from a bobcat attack, clearly. Just to say they are a vastly different animal.

by Anonymousreply 132April 17, 2021 5:22 AM

r127, the "expert" is oversimplifying things a bit. Bobcats don't breed NATURALLY with housecats, because they view housecats as prey and kill/eat them, but if you put housecat semen in a turkey baster and squirt it into a female bobcat, she can ABSOLUTELY become pregnant and deliver a litter of fertile hybrid kittens (that she might kill on sight unless they're rescued from her immediately). In theory, you could do the same with bobcat semen and a female housecat, but the kittens and/or mother are less likely to survive due to the size difference.

On the other hand, if you had a bobcat that was born into a human house, bottle-fed, and raised like a big housecat... it would basically BE an extra-large housecat, and would probably be content to breed with a housecat (at least, a large one, like a Maine Coon).

In other words, with cats, it's not as simple as, "can you fertilize egg cells from one with sperm from another". If the cats are too different in size, there's a good chance they'll either be stillborn, or grow too large and cause the mother to die during the final days of pregnancy or while giving birth". Cats also aren't shy about killing offspring they don't recognize as legit (or at least, kicking them to the curb).

This is actually the main reason why leopard-jaguar hybrids are so rare, even though genetically, leopards and jaguars are practically identical. In human terms, leopards and jaguars are just different races of "panther", and perfectly compatible insofar as fertilization and pregnancy are concerned. Among leopards, melanism (all-black fur) is exceptionally rare, to the point where a female leopard could go her entire life without EVER seeing a melanistic/black leopard, or even RECOGNIZING one AS a fellow leopard. In contrast, melanism among jaguars is weakly-dominant... black jaguars are kind of like humans with red hair (not "common", but not all that rare, either), and a non-melanistic jaguar can impregnate a non-melanistic leopard & create a black baby jagulep... which the mother will see, freak out, and probably either kill on sight, or abandon. But... if it happens in a zoo, and the black jagulep is rescued, it'll grow up to be perfectly healthy and fertile. And if ALL of its siblings are taken away from the mother & raised together, none of them will think anything is even slightly odd about the melanistic one.

Incidentally, this illustrates why categorization of jaguars & leopards as different species is slightly controversial. If you sequence their genes, there's more variation among leopards and jaguars than there is between the most-similar leopard and jaguar you can find.

by Anonymousreply 133April 17, 2021 6:41 AM

true story: when i lived in rural (but somewhat suburban) Southern California, i saw a black mountain lion sitting on top of a power transformer while hiking down the hill from our house. It scared the living shit out of me, and i very slowly began to retreat back up the hill, while looking back all the time, to my house (it was probably 200+ yards away). incidentally, we had a fenced in pen of turkeys which had been raided a few times by a wild animal. it seemed very calm (probably because it had been feeding on our turkeys!) and i never saw it again. My parents didn't believe me. This was in the late 70's.

by Anonymousreply 134April 17, 2021 7:10 AM

r134, if it was truly black, it would almost unquestionably have had to have been a jaguar. Melanistic cougars don't exist. They just don't have the genes for it. A black cougar would basically be like a black Danish Viking circa 800 AD... scientifically possible, but Just Doesn't Exist.

Also, I'm pretty sure a hypothetical melanistic cougar would end up blue-gray, like a Russian Blue cat, and NOT black, because ALL cougars have the dominant "lightening" gene (trivia: a solid-color Russian Blue cat is REALLY a black cat with "lightening" gene active).

In theory, a melanistic pumapard (half-jaguar, half-cougar) is possible... but AFAIK, they've never been documented in the wild, mostly because their paths rarely cross. And I believe even a melanistic pumapard would be blue-gray, not "black".

by Anonymousreply 135April 17, 2021 8:04 AM

i know, r135; i've looked it up because i've been fascinated all my life. it wasn't a fantasy or something that i just made up. at that age, i didn't even know that black mountain lions existed. i've googled the possibility of its occurrence and its slim to none but melanistic animals do happen. it looked black to me, sitting on that transformer. it was one of the weirdest experiences that ever happened in my life. i sometimes doubt it myself.

by Anonymousreply 136April 17, 2021 8:09 AM

r136 here - being that i was in SoCal with lots of movie stars residing in very close proximity, i wouldn't rule out some drugged out celebrity that owned a beachfront home accidentally losing an exotic animal. it happened often during that time. that said, my parents smoked pot every day around us so there is that possibility.

by Anonymousreply 137April 17, 2021 8:24 AM

Wow watching the video again, I didn't realize the bobcat first appeared at the start by crossing the street. The female jogger was quite lucky as she ran by where it crossed just several seconds before. If she had been the only one out there, who knows what would have happened.

by Anonymousreply 138April 17, 2021 9:45 AM

Does anyone know where they live? It's just stunning for non-Americans that a guy lives in a nice, quiet suburb with friendly neighbors and just randomly carries A GUN. Why the hell would this middle-aged guy with a minivan need a gun on his way to work?

by Anonymousreply 139April 17, 2021 9:57 AM

i find that worrisome as well, r139. i live in Northern California and i am against guns.

by Anonymousreply 140April 17, 2021 9:58 AM

Wow, he must really love that screeching frau of his to risk his life for her like that. If that happened to me I'd take the cake and barricade myself in the car until the danger was over. No frau is indispensable, because there's only like a gazillion of them out there, but a truly good carbolicious chocolate cake comes around only once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 141April 17, 2021 10:03 AM

R139 The incident occurred in Pender County, North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 142April 17, 2021 10:07 AM

The bobcat tested positive for rabies and was put down.

by Anonymousreply 143April 17, 2021 10:11 AM

r143 allegedly. everyone knows that people down south protect their own.

by Anonymousreply 144April 17, 2021 10:13 AM

I prefer a liger

by Anonymousreply 145April 17, 2021 11:06 AM

I’m surprised gun touting macho alpha POS Madison Cawthorn hasn’t jumped on this story about real men defending their woman and fighting off the evil of wildlife and the need for all people to be armed 24/7 to thwart these types of dangers. The only thing lacking is the chocolate cake should be apple pie, but I’m sure they can photoshop that into the video and add a few Dixie flag stickers on the car bumper as well.

by Anonymousreply 146April 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Warm 'nana puddin' right out of the oven.

by Anonymousreply 147April 17, 2021 3:56 PM

Why do people fall for these staged videos?

by Anonymousreply 148April 17, 2021 4:35 PM

R148, Like the Goys being murdered in Pennsylvania?

by Anonymousreply 149April 17, 2021 5:19 PM

why do people fall?

by Anonymousreply 150April 17, 2021 5:43 PM

When I was a child we took a kitten from my grandmas barn cat. Turned out to be a hybrid bob cat.

They are every where there's a bit of woods to live in.

Ours turned out to be a really good pet. Although I don't think we understood what we could have gotten ourselves into.

We had a pet squirrel already that our vet turned us in for. So we had to have a wild animal permit. At the time they were 15 dollars and all you had to do was fill out a form. That's how all those road side zoos came to be.

by Anonymousreply 151April 17, 2021 6:15 PM

[quote]Wow, he must really love that screeching frau of his to risk his life for her like that. If that happened to me I'd take the cake and barricade myself in the car until the danger was over.

You are the frau, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 152April 17, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] When I was a child we took a kitten from my grandmas barn cat. Turned out to be a hybrid bob cat.

These people with stories/claimed sightings about Bobcat-domestic hybrids are just like those about UFOs: lots of claims, no scientific proof presented, and the few photographs that exists are blurry and taken from quite a distance.

by Anonymousreply 153April 17, 2021 6:51 PM

so I'm guessing this part of NC is a deplorable area?

by Anonymousreply 154April 17, 2021 6:53 PM

Who know there would be a popular thread on DL about wild pussy...

by Anonymousreply 155April 17, 2021 6:54 PM

R74, R71 here. I’d say hoping the planet gets hit by an asteroid is wrong. Just my opinion. Don’t let me inhibit your hopes & wishes. Have a terrific weekend & keep spreading light.

by Anonymousreply 156April 18, 2021 2:40 AM

r89, that article proves nothing

[quote]Although unconfirmed, the video has been linked by social media users to an incident in Pender County, North Carolina.

No report, no news story? This is a fake.

by Anonymousreply 157April 18, 2021 5:04 AM

It's all over the news R157, you fucking moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 18, 2021 9:42 AM

I'll stand corrected, r158, but the newsweek article you posted at r89 was not conclusive at all, and WRAL isn't exactly "all over the news".

by Anonymousreply 159April 18, 2021 9:49 AM

The woman who created the Pixie-Bob breed claimed they have bobcat ancestry, but genetic testing has proven otherwise. They're great cas with sweet dispositions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 18, 2021 9:52 AM

[quote]I'll stand corrected

You'll fuck all the way off, dipshit.

[quote]but the newsweek article you posted at r89 was not conclusive at all

You called the Newsweek article fake, not inconclusive. Fake.

[quote]and WRAL isn't exactly "all over the news".

You said there were no news articles at all, but the truth is you just don't have the smarts to use Google. That's why you think that, because I only linked to one article, that there aren't any more articles. Just the one. That's not true, of course; if you go out to Google (provided you know what Google even is) you'll see thousands upon thousands of news articles about it.

I'm just sick to death of the aggressive stupidity on this board, either from legitimately dumb people, or from trolls trying to start fights.

by Anonymousreply 161April 18, 2021 10:25 AM

What do you want, r161? I'm sorry. I'm not a troll. I wasn't trying to start a fight. I WAS MISTAKEN ..and not for nothing, but I haven't insulted you nor called you a name once.

I meant I thought the video was a fake. The Newsweek article you linked to said it was "unconfirmed". Sure, I should have used Google, but I figured if that's the best article you had to link to, why bother? I got lazy this time.

It's way too early in the morning to be SO pissed off

by Anonymousreply 162April 18, 2021 10:39 AM

R125, now that explanation makes perfect sense.

Breeders need to stop breeding. Two children max, if both can be well cared for and and well educated. But this 7 or even 12!children per couple nonsense I’ve seen in the American south is just criminal. Both white women and black women, as well as Hispanic women in the south, become baby making machines.

I genuinely admire people, especially women who chose to not have kids because they were pressured to do so. I remember the scrutiny I was subjected to by a certain age, where women, not men, were literally advising me to just find a handsome stranger at a bar, in order to pop one out before it became too late!

We cannot continue overpopulating as we are. Why don’t people understand this? And why on earth would anyone want to give birth to and raise 7 or 10 kids?

And lastly- most people who do not have a gaggle of children, do not need these huge homes ensconced in urban sprawl. A two or three bedroom home of modest size, superbly designed for a smaller carbon footprint and positioned on land offering privacy is just so ideal. Why people would want these track developments is mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 163April 18, 2021 12:41 PM

It sounds like bobcats need to hold back on breeding as well, no handsome strangers at the watering hole to pop one out before it’s too late.

by Anonymousreply 164April 18, 2021 12:52 PM

Please run the numbers for us, R164. I’m much too groggy to search for the data, as I just woke up.

Please link the charts that back up your statement.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 165April 18, 2021 1:00 PM

R139, ridiculous, isn’t it?

And to top it off, NRA’s internet trolls are now campaigning for middle class, educated African Americans to start arming themselves as well. There are even groups of militias consisting of all blacks as members, who are mimicking the white supremacy militias, and spending their weekends out in the wilderness, armed to the teeth, running practice scenarios for combat.

Americans are devolving into an era of savagery. The police are trained to kill civilians for the smallest of traffic infractions, and the NRA is exploiting the African American communities here with narratives of gun ownership as the answer to complex socio-economic issues that are obviously not going to be resolved with violence.

I just cannot understand why my fellow countrymen are so stubborn a d willfully stupid. I understand how they got here, to this place of complete ignorance, driven by fear, but I cannot understand why they fell for it.

It’s inconceivable to me that people of all races here, in America, appear to have zero defense against such obvious manipulation, and are held captive by an array of nonsensical, irrational, emotionally charged whims.

A society of dunces, is what Americans have become.

by Anonymousreply 166April 18, 2021 1:26 PM

My BIL's father cross was real. They lived way out in the swamp by the river. We went for cookouts and such. It was the sweetest cat. It acted like a dog. About knee high. Its fur was very soft but short and didn't shed. It was cool.

by Anonymousreply 167April 18, 2021 1:57 PM

Why don’t mass shooters ever take their aggressions out on predatory animals such as these instead?

by Anonymousreply 168April 18, 2021 2:29 PM

I live in SF and was in the Marin headlands just over the bridge, we'd been on the beach and walked back up the trail to our car in late afternoon. A lynx was walking through the clearing at a relaxed pace. We stopped the car and watched it till it was out of sight. We were AMAZED at how large it was, full grown probably a male, it's back was at least as tall as my knees (I'm 5'10") and its head was taller than that, obviously. I saw a stuffed one at the Randall museum that seemed a bit smaller than the live one but still pretty big. From what I see in this video, that looks like a pretty young one, the guy easily picked it up and threw it without getting his face and arms shredded. Hopefully it isn't diseased and can be placed elsewhere. Chances are it will be killed, though.

by Anonymousreply 169April 18, 2021 2:48 PM

Sorry, r169. It appears that the animal was rabid and was killed.

by Anonymousreply 170April 18, 2021 4:01 PM

Quite the week for funny animal videos. Check out this candidate for a Darwin Award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 18, 2021 5:33 PM

If cats don't like odd looking kittens, how do domestic cats survive? Their litters are usually a mix of all kinds of crazy fur.

Okay, fox update. The bagel had quite a lot of cream cheese. Breakstone's from the pink tub. So a neighbor told my husband that another neighbor is actually giving the fox medicine, so I don't have to deal with that now. That's why that fox isn't too scared of people. My daughter and I put Milkbone dog treats out at night sometimes. There is a litter of kits (maybe four?) under the gazebo next door (house is currently uninhabited and up for sale). We all think the mangy one is the dad.

A few years ago things were better. The foxes nested under MY shed. We had two sets of kooky neighbors with chicken coops (we do not live out in the country. This is central NJ). I fed them sometimes, but tried not to be too obvious about it because our neighbors with the chickens did NOT like the foxes (one of their daughters even said something to my daughter about "our" foxes. If I hadn't been so scared of the neighbors I would have tried to make friends with the foxes. Kits are adorable, and the adults are really interesting. I wounder if one of the adults under the gazebo next door is one of my old foxes. Damn boring groundhogs are under my shed now.

by Anonymousreply 172April 18, 2021 7:42 PM

You are probably giving that fox terrible diarrhea!

by Anonymousreply 173April 18, 2021 7:50 PM

R173, why? From the cream cheese?

by Anonymousreply 174April 18, 2021 7:53 PM

Turns out the bobcat had rabies. It had bitten another neighbour before attacking this couple. The woman had twenty puncture wounds, the man had a few bites. He ended up shooting it and wounding and when police arrived, they killed it. Now the couple is on lots of rabies vaccination shots.

by Anonymousreply 175April 20, 2021 4:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 23, 2021 4:07 AM

I love bobcats let them roam free

by Anonymousreply 177April 23, 2021 4:21 AM

Hey we should consider ourselves lucky if bobcats and the odd mountain lion are the worst things thrown at us.

In India you might have to contend with a fucking LEOPARD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178April 23, 2021 2:10 PM

Fuck around and find out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 23, 2021 2:10 PM

r179, leopards aren't all like that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 24, 2021 9:13 AM

Another friendly leopard with adorable pet hooman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2021 9:17 AM

Just remember what happened to Siegfried or Roy, wild animals are still wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2021 9:45 AM

R182, Tigers are dangerous, but it isn't because they're "wild animals". It's because they're bigger, stronger, and heavier than humans & genuinely don't understand that things they routinely do to other large-feline playmates can seriously injure or kill us. THEY think we're just funny-looking cats who are just like them.

With cats, socialization during kittenhood matters a LOT. A tiger raised as a housecat behaves in ways that are indistinguishable FROM a housecat. An agitated third+ generation feral tomcat who feels trapped is more likely to try to FUCK YOU UP than a lazy, contented tiger. And make no mistake... a motivated "housecat" fighting for its life can REALLY injure you badly in hand-to-claw combat.

The thing to remember about cats is, they're "lazy". They don't work unless they HAVE to, or if they're literally bored out of their skulls. An elderly or injured starving tiger might attack a human in desperation, but a HouseTiger knows from kittenhood that all he has to do for a snack is give cheek-rubs and throw love bombs at you to get his way... and that things like clawing or biting result in immediate punishment.

Food for thought: the thing that makes 'housecats' (kind of) different from OTHER small wildcats is, they somehow acquired (and retained, as adults) the calm, mellow temperament that BIG cats had ALL ALONG.

by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2021 6:35 PM

Sigfreid & Roys' houseboy posting?

by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2021 6:39 PM

Don’t worry you’re completely safe, followed by if they are overly nice or aggressive they may have rabies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 28, 2021 5:53 PM

Since the man in OP’s video was carrying what appears to be a chocolate sheet cake, he’s lucky he wasn’t set upon by a DL FAT WHORE.

They’re much harder to throw off!

by Anonymousreply 186April 28, 2021 5:59 PM

R127, thanks for that. Very informative. In this case I'm glad the guy had a gun, I guess, since the bobcat could have attacked the children, too, but probably having a gun in the house with young children is statistically more likely to cause harm than are rapid bobcats in your driveway.

by Anonymousreply 187April 28, 2021 6:06 PM

^ ^ rapid and rabid

by Anonymousreply 188April 28, 2021 6:06 PM

My uncle was stalked by a farm cat when he was 9 months old.

My dad became a dog person immediately.

by Anonymousreply 189April 28, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]it goes in the direction of the family with the neighbor in toe.

Thank you for this amusing typo/autocorrect mishap. It brought to mind an amusing mental image.

by Anonymousreply 190April 28, 2021 6:23 PM

Alewife Station is the end of the MBTA's Red Line so about 3 miles from Boston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191April 28, 2021 6:24 PM

In CT we have coyotes all over the place and they never attack humans, they're afraid of us and will turn and run before we can get anywhere near them.

We also have bobcats, but sightings are rare.

by Anonymousreply 192April 28, 2021 6:27 PM

If anyone is wondering about the foxes (I know many of you have been): There are SIX kits under the gazebo of the currently vacant house next door. The father still has the mange tail and looks like the Jersey Devil but I think the neighbors on the other side of of the gazebo house are feeding them and giving them meds. This is hearsay through another neighbor. Mother fox is typical lovely fox.

Oh my God they are so CUTE!!!

by Anonymousreply 193April 28, 2021 6:28 PM

You can scare away the mountain lions by clapping two sticks together.

Let’s get together, yeah yeah yeah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 28, 2021 6:33 PM

R193 Wait, are you the eldergay who hid in the gazebo when there were raccoons barring the door to your house?

by Anonymousreply 195April 28, 2021 6:57 PM

R195, no, I'm the 50ish gal who gained too much weight during covid.

by Anonymousreply 196April 28, 2021 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!