Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the worst thing you've ever said to another person?

As a companion to the "What's the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?" thread.

This is something I'm very ashamed of and will always feel guilty about.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my mom has early onset Alzheimer's. Early in her diagnosis, we got into a big fight about something. In a moment of anger -- I can't even remember the context now -- I said sarcastically to her, "It doesn't matter, you won't remember it anyway."

It was truly an awful thing to say.

Now she's advanced to the point that she recognizes me, but I'm not always sure she realizes I'm her son.

Water under the bridge, I suppose, but I'll always regret it.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2021 6:14 PM

I’ve done similar, OP. Objectively I can say your mother loved you and would not want you to suffer over it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2021 2:50 PM

Thank you r1

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2021 2:50 PM

Don't feel two bad. When my grandmother was in her late nineties, having been widowed for about 55 years and always having been an independent person, she began to develop vascular dementia after a series of strokes. It was distressing for her, to the extent that she was aware that she was losing her independence, and in and of itself caused personality changes, all of which meant that we had quite a few blazing rows at the time. But it's like R1 said, we loved each other (we had always got on well) - somewhere deep down, she still knew that and that's the most important thing.

In answer to the thread question, I can't tell you the amount of times I wished death upon my father to his face when I was a teenager, sometimes listing specific illnesses. I must admit that I told him I hoped he would die riddled of cancer, even though he's had a touch of cancer not long before. He was and still is very homophobic and, while we have since found a modus vivendi, I really hated him when I was a young and very effeminate gayling and the only thing that would do him was a jock son.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2021 3:02 PM

OP, I've said worse things to my partner that I don't even want to repeat. I know those comments have destroyed him and I feel guilty about it all the time. I try to make it up to him but I don't think I can. But thanks for your post OP, it made me feel a little more human.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2021 3:02 PM

*riddled with

R3, ensuring he uses the correct preposition when recalling how he longed for his father's death

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2021 3:04 PM

I love Burke more.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2021 3:05 PM

I have also said horrible things to my partner, r4. I lash out and say HORRIBLE things that I don’t mean when I am hurt (or drinking). I honestly don’t know why he is still with me.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2021 3:06 PM

"I hate you" maybe. deserved.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2021 3:12 PM

"Yes, Ms. Ball, our coffee is served hot."

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2021 3:12 PM

“Is it in yet”?

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2021 3:13 PM

Maybe not the worst thing I ever said, but when I was a teenager, I was on an outing with the youth group of my church. While on the church bus either going to or coming back, everyone was engaged in small group conversations. One of my friends who was a few seats away started singing out loud. I turned to him and said "Andy, I would rather listen to my dog fart than your singing." The entire bus went completely silent. Andy looked devastated. I still feel bad about it almost 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2021 3:16 PM

When I was a kid (up until age 14), I would call my younger brother a "failure" when I fought with him. It was a low blow because he had failed two grades. (He probably had an undiagnosed learning disability.) He's OK now with a good job, but sometimes when he talks about a TV show that was canceled, he'll say that the show "failed", and he'll say the word "failed" with a lot of anger. I can't help thinking that he has some scar from my words, and I have spent years quietly trying to make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2021 3:17 PM

I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2021 2:21 PM

“Has anybody ever told you that you look like Donald Trump?”

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2021 2:33 PM

R14, I once told a friend of a friend that he looked like Elton John (he looked JUST like him). He was sooo pissed and hated me after that.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2021 2:51 PM

I was in Splash one night in 1995 and someone walked up to me and said- Are you furry all over?

I gave him ATTITUDE and said- I don't answer questions like that.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2021 3:05 PM

Many years ago I was having a tough time with erectile dysfunction but I was too embarrassed to admit it. I got picked up by a very nice looking guy at a bar and went home with him but in bed realized I wasn't going to be able to get hard. Despite his handsome face his body turned out to be rather flabby, so I told him I just couldn't get aroused because of his fat. I then left. I realized what I was doing was just simply horrible but I couldn't stop myself.

Karma can be a bitch. I saw him about two years later on the street and he had lost his extra weight and looked absolutely terrific. I said hello, he recognized me and was polite but he spoke to me the way the North Pole might talk to someone.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2021 3:12 PM

I said something so awful to a girl I went to jr high with. We were all upper middle class so there shouldn't have been a reason she had such bad terrible hygiene ...She would sit with her legs open (days of dress codes when all the girls had to wear dresses or skirts) I hated her and said out loud "Close your legs you have bad breath"...OMG Im am horrified at myself for saying that to her

Note, mother had NO filter at all and that's what we had been raise with. To methat was normal until Learned how sick mother was.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2021 3:12 PM

I worked with an Omani woman who was spectacularly arrogant, overbearing, two-faced. Near the end of my time in that job I told her, "I feel sorry for the man who marries you and I feel sorry for the woman you hire to be your maid."

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2021 3:16 PM

To a plain, single woman colleague, as a kind of joke: "No wonder you don't have a man."

20 years later, and I still cringe at how awful I was to her. The look on her face I still see.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2021 3:41 PM

I say “You’re fat!” to every stranger frau I’m having an argument with.

Shuts them all up IMMEDIATELY

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2021 3:55 PM

BroadWay doesn't go for booze and dope!

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2021 5:00 PM

I should have known you know where to find the booze. And the boys.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2021 5:05 PM

"You gotta know, you married one."

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2021 6:11 PM

As a teen I was a stock boy in a department store and a woman had a pin she was proud of that was a rabbit pin, and she kept telling people to look at her bunny. I made a slip and said "Let me look at your pussy". lmao. She never talked to me again, I tried to explain the wrong word came out but she wouldn't listen to me. I still think about this.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2021 6:22 PM

You're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2021 6:30 PM

LOL, r25.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2021 6:55 PM

To a coworker who was somewhat well known in our town, during a heated discussion: "the nastiest possible insult I could ever fling at you would be to say that everything I heard about working with you has turned out to be true."

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2021 7:00 PM

You can love people and still want them to suffer a little bit, R1.

Or a lot.

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2021 7:03 PM

R19 Am I the only one who doesn't see what is wrong with this? Has it got something to do with being Omani? No idea.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2021 7:09 PM

Had a bad split with a guy I was dating. After he emailed me an accusation that I stole a TV dinner from his freezer when I removed my own stash out of it, I emailed him back that he was a pedophile because he had a box of VCR tapes in the closet that were twink-oriented (some of the actors were obviously hired because they looked like middle-school students- I hope they were at least 18).

Years later I found him on the sexual offender list for involvement with an underage male.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2021 7:09 PM

When Dorothy moved in, I told her there'd be plenty of room for Sophia.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2021 7:23 PM

You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamb? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2021 8:01 PM

R33 Oh dear!

It's 'stink of the LAMP' ie. a coalminer's lamp, associated with West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2021 8:05 PM

Oh dear! I know. I copied it from this site, should have read it first 😂. R34

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2021 9:11 PM

You're a lousy, illiterate cunt, r33, r35. You don't deserve to be here. Now run along, dummy, and let the grownups post.

BTW -- I don't mean a word of that, but I want to post the worst thing I've ever said to another person.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2021 9:21 PM

Marry me r29!

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 12:31 AM

"No problem"

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 12:37 AM

You're a waste of life. You take everything and you offer nothing in return. You're not even worth the chemicals it would take to embalm you. Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 12:38 AM

Not me but a good friend said this to a guy he was dating. Said guy had mental problems,was fine on meds but would act erratic when off them. Apparently at one point off his meds,while homeless,he was caught by police having sex with a dog.He was arrested and it was put in the local paper. Anyhoo,while my friend and the guy were living together my friend got mad at him one night after the guy refused to fuck him and said "Oh,you can fuck a dog but you cant fuck me?" . The guy left,disappeared and about 2 months later he heard that he had committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 12:42 AM

That's ruff, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 12:48 AM

Im going to hell for laughing R41 !

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 12:57 AM

I had a boyfriend over 30 years ago (I had to dodge dinosaurs as a child, so yes, I'm an eldergay) who was overbearing, controlling, privacy-violating and generally not the kind of guy who I should not have been involved with. Our final confrontation ended with me saying "your father was right, you won't amount to anything." I know it cut deeply, and I'm sorry for that. I wish I wouldn't have uttered those words moreover undercutting everything else I'd said, which to that point was accurate and fair.

Lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2021 4:39 AM

My best friend of all times and I had a disagreement once and I don't know what came over me. I can't even remember the topic anymore but I remember saying something like "You're like your mother." (His mother was an attested psycho.) I regretted it the moment it left my lips. He cried, I ran after him and apologized, and I knew I broke something that can never be fixed that day. We are still good friends but at least in my head something changed. He's such a good man and I behaved like a total cunt, this once.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2021 8:46 AM

“You’re fired.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2021 10:31 AM

I humiliated someone I deeply love. I will regret it forever. I went way overboard, it was uncalled for, and I can't ever forget. I've apologize deeply, but that didn't undo it.

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2021 10:43 AM

What did you say to them, r46?

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2021 11:13 AM

R46 yeah, I feel that. It’s like a numbness and a soreness you carry with you forever.

While I wasn’t necessarily in forever-love with the girl I insulted, given we only knew each other for one summer (living in the same house and working for the same employer in Amsterdam), I did feel about her like I’d never felt before. The emotion she stirred in me was the closest to the feeling of ideal true love I’d heard described, bolt from the blue stuff. It’s like we were totally effortlessly in-sync about everything, and made each other laugh and smile so easily and constantly. I could spend all day doing nothing with her and feel fulfilled. It was almost-frighteningly easy to be open with one another, and share every part of ourselves (except the physical, because we never made it that far). Toward the end of our friendship/acquaintanceship, I had started to flirt and drop heavy hints about my romantic and sexual interest in her, and she seemed to be reciprocating. But it was too perfect...

Though we got on amazingly well amazingly fast, for some reason one day we got into a minor argument over a preteen kid we were both babysitting. On request of the little girl, I corrected some spelling in a story she’d written, which my love object did not appreciate and popped off about (saying I was stifling the kid’s creative mind). This simmered for several frosty hours, then later escalated into a full verbal fight over dinner, complete with long cold silences, barbed comments, and a storming off—her, after she called me a fascist and a horrible influence on kids, and I shot back that I had a stable family and went to an extremely good school and what would a dropout latchkey like her know about how to raise a kid in comparison to someone like me? This woman had a young child of her won at the time and was very sensitive about her lack of education, and though we’d only met and starting spending time together a few months prior, I knew that well enough to weaponise it in the heat of the moment. I regretted it the minute I said it, and I can’t shake the memory of her lovely face just collapsing and turning white before she turned around and walked out of the house without another word or look back.

Though I stayed in the property and the country for another month after that, moping about and desperate to reconcile, and left her numerous texts and emails (and even one apology card in the mail), I couldn’t get a hold of her. Unusually for me—a die-hard single Pringle, flake and commitment-phobe—for the first time in my idiotic life I was willing to be with a girl 100%, and in this case even help raise her daughter (and I’ve never wanted kids, so that’s major). Despite my seriousness about her, after a couple of months I got the message, and stopped trying to contact her or find out where she was. I figured that maybe time, space, and respectful distance would help.

I never saw or heard from her again. Last I heard, she emigrated to France and got engaged to the father of her child (who was her on-off teenaged sweetheart, hot the picture when I’d known her). It’s been about five years of no contact. While I have now got some perspective on the whole incident and have changed my ways (trying to speak with more kindness and restraint), I still think about her often with longing and regret. Not sure what I’d do if she turned up on my doorstep tomorrow saying I was forgiven, though there is a stupid romantic nostalgic little part of me that would want to embrace her and ask her to marry me right then and there. Realistically, though, we’d have to build back up and work on a relationship, if that’s what we both wanted and if it was feasible. During our first and probably-last fight, we both said ridiculous things and blew up over nothing, and with hindsight I do think she was quite immature (she’s younger than by a few years) and projecting her own issues onto others, as much as I was being a superior bitch. I think it’s a real shame we lost a sterling friendship and potentially more, over something that insignificant.

Miss you, Tara.

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2021 11:25 AM

Meh, she started it r48.

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2021 2:35 PM

R49 yeah lmao I know that now. It was embarrassing to even type that, but it’s the incident in my life so far that sticks out the most to me. Just the typical lesbian/bi drama we all fall prey to every now and then. I try to stay vigilant and not give in to it, and I succeed 90% of the time—she just snuck under my radar somehow.

Honestly, people have said far worse to me that I’ve either forgotten about, forgiven, or just moved on from.

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2021 3:08 PM

A friend and I had a fight in 3rd grade for one reason or another that I can't even remember and I told him I didn't know why he didn't want to be friends with me anymore since he needed as many friends as he could get. We became friendly again later on, but I still feel bad about saying that.

I also once said I was glad a classmate was in the hospital with a concussion because he'd been mean to me that year. Strangely enough, we became friendly later on as well.

I've probably told my parents and siblings I've hated them too many times to mention.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2021 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!