Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toronto woman denied haircut files human rights complaint

'I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 12:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2021 11:46 AM

Article is from 2012 and the original thread was closed already.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2021 1:30 PM

Thread was closed at 237 posts...

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2021 6:03 AM

The barber, I think you should respect other people's religious views of they are not trying to attack you and he had another barber offer her a haircut.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2021 7:03 AM

Allah hates lesbian haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2021 9:57 AM

meh, man hating lesbian with a chip on her shoulder. Is she an academic? Women's studies?

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2021 11:08 AM

Faith McGregor stepped into the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay St. for a lunch-hour haircut, requesting a butch-style “businessman,’’ short on the sides, tapered, and trim up top.

Co-owner Omar Mahrouk demurred, as did two other barbers working that day, explaining that his Muslim faith prohibited him from touching a woman who was not a member of his family.

McGregor was displeased, claims to have felt like a second-class citizen, and denounced Mahrouk. “You are sexist,’’ she stated before leaving.

“For me it was just a haircut and started out about me being a woman. Now we’re talking about religion versus gender versus human rights and businesses in Ontario,” said McGregor.

She filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario almost immediately, saying she felt like a “second-class citizen.”

Mahrouk’s response to the tribunal, provided through his lawyer David Kolinsky, doesn’t dispute McGregor’s complaint but says being forced to cut a woman’s hair would violate his freedom of religion.

“We live for our values. We are people who have values and we hold on to it. I am not going to change what the faith has stated to us to do. This is not extreme — this is just a basic value that we follow,” said Karim Saaden, co-owner of the Terminal Barber Shop.

He noted that it was a matter of adherence to faith, not a gender issue.

“In our faith, for instance, I can cut my mother’s hair, I can cut my sister’s hair, I can cut my wife’s hair, my daughter’s hair,” said Saaden.

The barbershop suggested a solution to McGregor toward the end of August, offering her a haircut from a barber willing to do so.

“It’s the principle of the matter so I turned down their lawyer’s offer and said, ‘No, I wish to continue with the tribunal,’ because this needs to be discussed and now it’s bigger than what occurred with me that one day, in one afternoon,” said McGregor.

She is asking the tribunal to force Terminal Barber Shop to offer its men’s haircuts to both genders, and suggests in her application that the shop post a sign indicating it serves both men and women. She is not seeking money.

So who do you side with? The Lesbian or the Male Barber?

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2021 11:24 AM

The Lesbian. Our country, Our rules.

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2021 12:49 PM

I'm a Lesbian who sides with the barber.

The barber was gentleman enough to offer one of my fellow Lesbians a haircut from another barber who did not share his faith. If he did not do that, my opinion would be far different, and I would side with my fellow Lesbian.

That's that.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2021 12:49 PM

The Lesbian and the Male Barber sounds like an excellent Movie of the Week.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2021 5:58 PM

This is nonsense. If he doesn't want to cut her hair he shouldn't have to.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2021 6:52 PM

Why does she claim he was sexist? If you at look at one way, it was guy vs guy

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2021 7:41 PM

They could've just given her a bad haircut.

Not that she'd have noticed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2021 12:22 PM

Do any Canadians want to explain their human rights stuff to us?

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2021 12:22 PM

WAX MY BALLS!

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2021 12:30 PM

Guaranteed she works in the oxygen-less world of academia. These freaks have ruined our culture.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2021 1:59 PM

..she should have added "..and ,OH, its ,my birthday"!

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2021 2:02 PM

Why does she feel she has to have THIS particular barber cut her hair if he offered someone else who could do it within the shop? She wasn't told no one could it, just that those practicing the Muslim faith couldn't do it. The shop offered someone else. I don't see the issue here.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2021 2:03 PM

Yep, keep it up women. Keep it up.. And you wonder why so many people are okay with trans taking your place and taking over your spaces. It's because of this shit. But karma is bitch slapping all of you right before our very eyes, and it really feels so good.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2021 2:15 PM

^ You don't understand the full implications of what's going on here, you might if you lived in an English city.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2021 2:56 PM

BALD SJW BITCHES ABOUT LACK OF HAIRCUT

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2021 3:04 PM

That's a woman?

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2021 3:08 PM

r18, I couldn't find anything about the shop offering someone else - I know that Canada's legal system can be overreaching, and I'm not supporting the avenue this woman has taken, just trying to clarify.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote] The barbers, who are all Muslim, told her their religion didn't allow them to cut the hair of a woman who is not a member of their family.

Clash of Trans and Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote] 'I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts'

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2021 3:47 PM

Agree with R4, R9, R11 and R18.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2021 3:51 PM

Important to note that a haircut was offered only after the complaint was filed (again, not taking sides, just clarifying).

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2021 3:56 PM

Wow! This thread was so much funnier AND more complicated than I thought it would be. I'm all over the place. Too many thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2021 4:29 PM

OP, thank you for posting this article from 2012. It's not even a decade old yet.

On other topics, I'm going to predict that ARGO will win the academy award for best film and that President Barack Obama will be re-elected.

Go San Francisco Giants!

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2021 4:34 PM

I'd have bumped the original thread if Muriel hadn't closed it early for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2021 4:59 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2021 5:08 PM

In obiter, the judge remarked the dyke had one ugly haircut.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] Clash of Trans and Muslim.

It's a ciswoman.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote]'I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts'

And everyone gets the Sophia Petrillo...

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2021 5:48 PM

He should’ve shaved her bald.

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2021 7:28 PM

R23, this is from R7's post:

[quote] The barbershop suggested a solution to McGregor toward the end of August, offering her a haircut from a barber willing to do so.

“It’s the principle of the matter so I turned down their lawyer’s offer and said, ‘No, I wish to continue with the tribunal,’ because this needs to be discussed and now it’s bigger than what occurred with me that one day, in one afternoon,” said McGregor. [quote]

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2021 9:07 PM

Thanks, r36 - I managed to find the info for myself after initially not bothering to read the thread properly - r27

Now it turns out it's all from 2012!

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2021 9:16 PM

What was the tribunal’s ruling?

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 6:44 AM

What happened with her complaint?

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 11:46 AM

The barber has stated his boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 11:53 AM

She's a parajustice.

She LIVES for doing things like this.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Remember Astor Place Barber in the 80’s, no one gave a shit who you were, hair was hair.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 4:47 PM

'Quietly resolved' = got a settlement to go away

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 5:09 PM

God, that's one ugly dyke.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 5:14 PM

This man was set up. Hope "the resolution" didn't involve giving her money, The resolution should have been referral to a female barber. What scam has she tried to pull lately?

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2021 6:01 PM

She went looking for that barber.

I know this type.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2021 7:18 PM

Demi Lovato is being triggered as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2021 7:33 PM

So dykey.

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2021 8:28 PM

This woman is in the grievance business.

This woman makes money from other people's unhappiness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2021 9:32 PM

Now we know the real reason Ellen became Eliot.

She needed a haircut.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2021 9:39 PM

This woman is a provocateur for money.

But what is her endgame? Does she want to ban Muslim Misogynists from her Christian Canada?

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2021 9:42 PM

I support this brave woman!

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2021 10:15 PM

But Glenn, we realise the physical similarity but you can't make a movie about this woman.

This woman had a brief moment of drama ten years ago but then they retreated into the boring capitalist system to make pots of money.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2021 10:21 PM

No religion should violate the Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2021 10:25 PM

I wonder if she's got sisters named Hope McGregor and Charity McGregor.

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2021 10:29 PM

An angry dyke with a human rights issue.. how original 🙄... Sit down Norma

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2021 10:34 PM

I hope this woman has new hairdo.

The OP's picture is VERY unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] This man was set up.

Just like the bakers were set up.

Professional provocateurs pushing their own agenda onto others.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2021 11:02 PM

It is insane OP brought up this case from NINE years ago as did not bother to tell us that.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2021 11:05 PM

Norma, the woman they made the movie about was a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 12:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!